Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Corolla 2.0D Saloon Engine and Transmission problem.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Corolla 2.0D Saloon Engine and Transmission problem.

AOA members,

i have a corolla 2.0D saloon, 2003 which has started to create problems when i took it to Pakistan tour in January 2015, before that engine had no issue whatsoever and used to start normally in single glow time and single self.

few things to notice before i mention the problems are, CSD is operational and pump and nozzles are calibrated from Cummins PK and it is timed with dial gauge, fans are auto, valve clearances as per manual i.e. 0.28-0.30mm.

Engine problems:

1 - Cold Starting problem with missing, knocking and white smoke - [SOLVED post#25] - does not start when engine is cold and if push started it produces a lot of white smoke and knocking, before the tour i changed its glow plugs as old plugs were taking about 8,9 seconds to fully glow up while new ones were glowing in 6 seconds, cold start issue was initially because of a weak wire from battery to glow plugs, after changing the wire problem was slightly resolved and engine used to start after 3 glow timers but later on it totally refused to start irrespective of the glow timers.

my electrician took out the glow plugs for checking purpose and found oil on the 1st and 3rd glow plug from the pulley, i also feel that knocking sound i also from the 3rd cylinder or somewhere near it.

yesterday i checked the resistance of glow plugs and it was found to be 0.4-0.5 ohm of all four plugs so i again installed old glow plugs whose resistance was varying from 0.9-1.8 ohm and today morning i gave 3 glow timers and it started with 4,5 self and knocking was there but much reduced on old glow plugs.

2 - Starter motor - [SOLVED post#11] - Mechanics say that the starter motor is taking load and not rotating the engine at the speed it should to start it that's why the engine does not start in cold, i do agree with them to the extent that starter motor is somehow slow but it was starting the engine without any knocking n missing and still it starts the hot engine perfectly, now even if i push start it, engine misses and knocks on cold.

Gear problem:

- while i was on the tour, car's 5th gear suddenly came to the position between reverse and 5th just as i left accelerator, when engaged it again into 5th and left clutch there was some sound from the gear it again came between 5th and reverse so without taking any risk i drove it in 4th gear all the way to Karachi. now showed it to a gear mechanic n he said 'faag kat gai hai isski' and if i forcefully keep it in 5th while leaving clutch it'll work fine and the same happened, now i have to hold the gear while leaving clutch in 5th gear.

-speedometer sensor is installed in gear and its not working properly because original 'garari' of #32-27 is not available. when i cold start it the speedometer doesn't work, after a drive of around 5-7kms speedometer slowly starts working but does not show accurate speed like if i am driving on 60 speedometer will show 50 and if i keep the accelerator pressed speed needle stays constant on wrong speed while if i leave the accelerator the needle starts dancing between 10-20 when actual speed is 30, between 50-60 when actual speed is 70, etc

-gear gets hard if the ambient temperature is high or if driven with ac or the car is continuously driven on high rpm like when 5th gear wasn't being engaged so while driving on 4th gear rpm was above 3000 rpm n gear got hard, and it is not only hard it gets extremely hard to shift it, however its perfect when cold or driven without ac or on low rpm.

last year i thought that my car had starting issue when its hot because the starter acted as if battery is down when starting on engine's optimum temperature but i was wrong and found that if i start the car with clutch pressed the starter would act normal so it means the hard gear also makes the starter motor work slow.

-considering the above problems shall i replace the gear or get it repaired ? and idea of its cost ?

@Xulfiqar bhai and other senior members kindly help.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I too think the same, for now I need suggestions for some good mechanic who can do the job for me as recommended in manual.

And any other things which I should take care of while getting the overhaul done.?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Few things to consider into the whole equation.

1- Number of overhauls done in this engine and the size of the pistons (whether it's standard, 0.25 / 0.50 or etc)

2- Condition of the cylinder bore and the pistons specially the pistons to see whether there are any damages.

3- Amount you going to spend on the spares, say if you're to put sleeves, it should be of good quality, else the new sleeve will wear out faster than the re-bored cylinder bore.

4- If the pistons are of standard size and of good quality, that means no burn marks, no damages, no visible hairline cracks on around the gudgeon pin area, yes you can re-use them. I would advise you to proceed with a caution as old/used pistons tend to get damaged when you put up with new sleeves.

5- Also, if you're planning to keep the vehicle for prolonged period, better to go for a re-boring with new set of pistons as you will have new everything inside and the bore is still with solid original material that the engine block is made out. You never know the quality of the aftermarket sleeves available. Further, you will gain a slight increase in CC as re-bored cylinder will have slightly more capacity than the original one.

6- The downside of re-boring is you will have to depend on the quality of the place where you get the lathe work done and if you get it done through professionals who does fairly good volumes.

For your information, I have gained better results by just replacing the rings without changing anything except gasket and seals and timing belt, That my 1C engine lasted for more than 4 years daily driving till the next full overhaul.

Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by argtr65 View Post

1- Number of overhauls done in this engine and the size of the pistons (whether it's standard, 0.25 / 0.50 or etc)

2- Condition of the cylinder bore and the pistons specially the pistons to see whether there are any damages.

3- Amount you going to spend on the spares, say if you're to put sleeves, it should be of good quality, else the new sleeve will wear out faster than the re-bored cylinder bore.

4- If the pistons are of standard size and of good quality, that means no burn marks, no damages, no visible hairline cracks on around the gudgeon pin area, yes you can re-use them. I would advise you to proceed with a caution as old/used pistons tend to get damaged when you put up with new sleeves.

5- Also, if you're planning to keep the vehicle for prolonged period, better to go for a re-boring with new set of pistons as you will have new everything inside and the bore is still with solid original material that the engine block is made out. You never know the quality of the aftermarket sleeves available. Further, you will gain a slight increase in CC as re-bored cylinder will have slightly more capacity than the original one.

6- The downside of re-boring is you will have to depend on the quality of the place where you get the lathe work done and if you get it done through professionals who does fairly good volumes.

For your information, I have gained better results by just replacing the rings without changing anything except gasket and seals and timing belt, That my 1C engine lasted for more than 4 years daily driving till the next full overhaul.

Thanks for your time and reply.

I'll try to answer in the same numerical order.

1- this will be the third overhaul of the engine, first time was in 2007, second was done in 2011. Both of the times it was not needed but mechanic trapped my dad and convinced him for overhaul. At that time issue was only high fuel consumption only. Don't know about the size of pistons, I think new pistons were not installed in 2011. Btw a friend of mine was suggesting to install kabuli pistons from shershah, they will be of much better quality as compared to new ones, I was thinking to do the same, what do u suggest?

2- condition would be ascertained after dismantling.

3- I am willing to buy the best quality parts irrespective of the price coz this type of work isn't done on daily basis. And I am also thinking to go for rebore instead of sleeve.

4- covered in point 1. Condition to be ascertained after dismantling.

5- your point is very valid, I am also thinking for the same - going for re bore. Btw increased CC will also mean increased power ?

6- noted sir, I don't know any good lathe wala in Karachi, can you suggest any ? And any other con of re bore u have in mind ?

Do u suggest me to go for the rings only? And how much time or kms I should have in mind that my engine will work for after overhaul? @Xulfiqar bhai suggests that diesel engines r good for approx 400,000 kms but my engine gave up quite early, what could be the reason? After overhaul shall I consider that my car is ready for another 400K kms or not ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@raftechs901

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Update: some days back I got it's nozzles serviced hoping for improvement in starting, last time they were done in March 2015. The person doing it insisted that it's of no use n they r fine still I forced him to do it and he was right, it was useless to for starting up cold engine however now engine feels more in power. Black exhaust smoke has reduced to some extent but not completely.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Today's update and major blunder: I noted that engine is making lil weird kind of noise once heated up, seemed like oil is loosing is viscosity. Decided to go for oil change.

Wanted to go for delo silver 20w50 but it wasn't available so zic x3000 20w50 was poured in instead, along with kixx oil treatment. After the oil change the engine started well although it was showing just 5-10% heat on the gauge and when taken out dipstick and removed oil cap all sorts of grey/white smoke that used to come of engine were vanished and only air was coming out that too much much reduced as compared to before changing oil. It was a relief to see black smoke from exhaust is also vanished and there is just slight puff of black smoke that too on hard acceleration. Hot start took many rotations before that too is also solved n engine starts on 1,2 rotations on hot start.

Coming to the major blunder: while driving back home I tried to put the meter to zero for oil change and just noticed that it was around 7800kms. Which means I completely missed the last oil change and engine was running on lowest quality oil which was probably making sludge inside.

Now after oil change engine's starter motor is also rotating it at a faster speed to start it up, I have no idea what magic happened to it. Tried to start up after 2 hours parked, took a long self but it did started and completely normal once start. Which means cold start issue is still present.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Latest update as of 3rd October:

This time I had already made up my mind for engine overhaul. Everything was discussed in detail with the mechanic and delay was on my part as car wasn't free to be given for overhaul.

So on last Sunday I went to another mechanic for oil change of my dad's car (xli 13) and while general discussion he told me that he's been working on different diesel engines from 80's etc. This clicked my mind that I should discuss with him about my 2C starting issue and I did, he told me that usually the problem is of glow plugs in and if glow plugs r fine sometimes carbon develops in the place where glow plugs r fitted so that needs to be cleared after taking out glow plugs. This seemed to be logical as he didn't declare straight away that engine needs overhaul without diagnosing anything other thing. So I took time from him for the next day for this carbon clean up.

Next day I visited him, just as he opened up the glow plugs he said these glow plugs r for shehzore's engine and not for 2C, I thought he too doesn't know anything n just suggesting to change glow plugs as every other mechanic so I asked him to show me how 2C's glow plugs looks like.. He bought one n showed it to me. As previously tried all glow plugs were burning out except for the original ones currently installed, I told him the scenario n he suggested to use the cheapest available glow plugs for 2C so that won't hurt much even if they burn out so cheapest one was for Rs.50 each. We cleaned the carbon n installed 4 glow plugs, after that engine started on 1st rotation of starter motor but still it wasn't cooled completely so we weren't sure if they r actually working fine or not so it was to be checked next morning.

Next day, in dead cold engine I gave it single glow timer of 6 seconds n ALHUMDULILLAH it started on just single touch n half rotation of starter motor. And now every time my cold engine starts the same way.

Conclusion: most of the mechanics can not diagnose the real problem and suggest overhaul. I was facing this issue from March and now in October my engine's problem is resolved that too just in Rs.200. So all other diesel engine owners having cold starting issue please make sure that you are using correct spec glow plugs.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla 2.0D Saloon Engine and Transmission problem. - fd49dd44f0b9c932d3eb2826fbbf067c

The new glow plug u see is for 2C engine, having long shaft and small thread which goes deep inside the engine, while the other one having long thread is for shehzore and it's thread is half left outside the engine while the small thread one goes completely inside it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir I asked number mechanics to replace the rings n related parts mentioned instead of full overhaul but none of them agreed, they all said it doesn't work this way in 2C and we need to get complete overhaul done. Anyways ALHUMDULILLAH now the problem has been resolved.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thats great your problem has solved

Sent from my ALE-L21 using PW Forums mobile app
    A real driver knows exactly what's in his car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Salman922 View Post
    Sir I asked number mechanics to replace the rings n related parts mentioned instead of full overhaul but none of them agreed, they all said it doesn't work this way in 2C and we need to get complete overhaul done. Anyways ALHUMDULILLAH now the problem has been resolved.

No mechanic will do this job except one who has proper knowledge and confidence on his job,most of them are fitter just replace the parts with new one without any reason.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No mechanic will do this job except one who has proper knowledge and confidence on his job,most of them are fitter just replace the parts with new one without any reason.
    Got your point sir. Thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

User Tag List