Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 11th Gen Corolla (Hornet): An Unlucky Affair

Introducing Corolla GLi 1.3 (Super ECT)
    Asalamoalikum respected PakWheel members and guests.
    Alhamdolillah, Allah has blessed me with this brand new car after I let
    Viper go to its next handler and keeper, after a very satisfying experience of a little over four years. With blessing from Allah (S.W) and friends like you, I hope to make this is a no-nonsense, extremely informative and enjoyable thread just like Viper. This cannot be possible without your support, appreciation, critique, guidance, sharing and participation. So hop in, like and subscribe.

But, the driving experience has not been anything more than average. The only aspect in which this car stands out (at the moment in Pakistan) is its shape.

Table of Contents
    1. Introduction and Background ------------------------------ Page 1
    2. Stark Naked Review (The Decision)---------------------- Page 1
    3. True Horror Story (On Fuel Consumption) -------------- Page 1
    4. Review (Exterior Styling, Build Quality)------------------- Page 2
    5. Aerodynamics Verification (Thanks @autophile) ------ Page 2
    6. Review (Interior Styling, Layout and Build Quality) --- Page 3
    7. Comparison Recap ------------------------------------------- Page 4
    8. Performance and Drive Quality ---------------------------- Page 4
    9. Final Thoughts and Wrap Up ------------------------------- Page 5
    10.Teaser Photos ------------------------------------------------- Page 5
    11. Fog Lamps (Options, Variety and Selection) ---------- Page 6
    12. Night Visibility Upgrade Philips CrystalVision -------- Page 7
    13. Decide Between White and Black Colours ------------ Page 7
    14. Stainless Scuff Plates (OEM Toyota) ------------------- Page 9
    15. Combo Utility / Multi Purpose Hook Dock ------------- Page 9
    16. Interior Photo Showing Some Changes --------------- Page 11
    17. Night Time Photography ----------------------------------- Page 11
    18. Fresh Update on Drive and Handling ------------------- Page 12
    19. Photography by @Spano's Galaxy Note 4 ------------ Page 12
    20. Steering Controls (Install Photos and Cost) ----------- Page 13
    21. GLi (Auto) Underpower Myth Busted -------------------- Page 13
    22. Hornet's Climb to Monal (Videos) ------------------------ Page 15
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    Just like your Predator's thread became a Discussion forum and totally drifted away from its original purpose while you were away.
    Haha
    Yes you are right
    But after coming back i tried my best to read all the posts even about comparing it with Civic and then replied accordingly
    PREDATOR 11th Gen Corolla and RED MAMBA Reborn...
    Blast from the Past Sabre 9th gen Civic n Blue Max Reborn...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro spill your heart out. kill the speculations.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zuhaibafzal View Post
    Agreed. Pata nahi log bhe ajeeb hi hain. Family car ko sport car samajhna start ker detay hain.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Lol, all of us does that.. Up to certain extent, These are sports cars for common people like us..
    Gradeee littey aye.. Koi mazaak aye.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

after reading title of fouad bhai's thread neither me nor any one will go for gli auto untill fouad bhai clear all of confusions
    FeeL YoUng DriVE YoUnG......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by COOLTAHIR View Post
    after reading title of fouad bhai's thread neither me nor any one will go for gli auto untill fouad bhai clear all of confusions
    This sudden reaction should not have been there though regardless of how outdated and obsolete the car is.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lack of charisma and personality (Some may think i have it completely opposite?) has made the current generation Corolla an unlucky affair for many like-minded individuals and Fouad Sir is no different. The veh. can be brought to a well-planted standing where it may have a designated personality but a lot of expenditure is required for that - more like shooting an arrow in the dark. The deviation from the standard, this time, is not centered by IMC but by toyota design engineers themselves. No doubt the current Corolla is received very well. At the cost of die-hard XRS enthusiasts? Certainly.

That being said. Found Sir has a potential in video reviews. Such mode of reviewing is observed to be of little presence on these local forums.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Attempted to write twice but the website crashes

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faadi112 View Post
    Lack of charisma and personality (Some may think i have it completely opposite?) has made the current generation Corolla an unlucky affair for many like-minded individuals and Fouad Sir is no different. The veh. can be brought to a well-planted standing where it may have a designated personality but a lot of expenditure is required for that - more like shooting an arrow in the dark. The deviation from the standard, this time, is not centered by IMC but by toyota design engineers themselves. No doubt the current Corolla is received very well. At the cost of die-hard XRS enthusiasts? Certainly.

That being said. Found Sir has a potential in video reviews. Such mode of reviewing is observed to be of little presence on these local forums.
    Toyota n Honda both have crap designs these days

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Write in MS Word and copy paste here...whats the big deal @op?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post
    Attempted to write twice but the website crashes
    write through cell phone
    pakwheels forums app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Let me post and then decide for yourself what the big deal is.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this post are purely my personal feedback and based entirely on personal experience of ownership of the variant/model. These observations are intended to help or enable readers arrive at a conclusion for making informed decision. It should not be in any way a reason for post purchase dissonance.

Life is too short even if you die after 65 years of age. A lot is left to be desired for.

In my previous posts, I've briefly described how I arrived at the decision of purchasing a 2015 1.3L Corolla GLi Super ECT. It wasn't just a random brain wave despite my impulsive nature. However, for the benefit of everyone else, let me recapitulate.
    When I started gathering information on the resale value of my ex-ride, a base variant 2011 Honda Civic i-VTEC, I started getting nervous over the rate of depreciation. My concern was that in the event of an upgrade and the meager savings that were evaporative in nature with no rumors/news of Honda Atlas launching the 10th Gen Civic somewhere in September/October of 2016, ever increasing taxes, shrinking pockets and growing population with no regard for family planning (I don't believe in it by the way). So I thought of getting a brand new car (A big no to used ones: Sorry, i'm a case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - OCD) which would not cost me to sell my soul to the devil and fetch me instantly good resale whenever intended. At that time the faintest rumor was a Civic launch somewhere in 2017.
    The options within a comfortable budget were a GLi M/T, GLi A/T and a 1.6 Altis. I had had enough buggering of my left foot/leg and hand/wrist driving manual so even a manual fighter jet was out question. The 1.6 Altis in my opinion offered nothing to write home about for the price difference. Again, the kind of enthusiasts (geeks) that we are, bringing about small cosmetic or performance changes in a limited budget is our lifeline. This is how we remain connected with our rides. I wish I were the type who just didn't give a damn to chrome front grills, ultra high performance tyres, alloy wheels specifications (Off-Set, Weight, PCD), incremental BHP values, HUD and what not. We become enemies of our own selves in terms of peace of mind and the ability to cherish and enjoy what we have.

But, I still stand by my decision. I would have suffered (Allah forbid) a stroke (Though not a very good swimmer but I just love the word breast stroke) had I bought a 1.6 Altis in this case because the turn off I experienced was not the engine displacement (alone). I also, firmly stand by what I've reviewed and proffered in my previous posts about the car itself. But there are some things which come with age and experience (to which there could be no short cut at all).
    So what went wrong? That is something I have asked myself more than any number of queries on this forum. I wanted to come candidly honest before PakWheels after having arriving at the core issue and not just bash about how under powered the car is, lack of features and blah blah blah. Those are the things you guys know much better than me.

So here's the deal: (1) Was it because the vehicle is under powered: No. (2) Lack of Features like Airbags, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry ec: No Sir, IMC (Indus Motor Company) rocks. (3) Was it the Shape: Again No (I like it). (4) Was it high on wheels: Umm, Visually, I could live with that unhappily ever after. (5) Was it Post Purchase Dissonance for not having bought a 1.6 Altis while I could: Hell No, I’ve already said it’s not about being under powered (Stepping down from 1.8L R18, I exactly knew what I was doing and what to expect or not). So what the hell was it then? Fouad Sahib????

Despite being in its rock-solid 11th Generation and going strong in sales worldwide, from where the hell Mr. Me pop out and start giving his not-so-expert reviews. The car seriously lacks in the most basic aspect of any car and that is its “handling characteristic”. This Corolla (1.8L), “could have been a very nice car and put 9th Gen Honda Civic to shame (yes, I said it) in driving performance had Indus Motor Company not screwed up big time”.
    So what’s the big deal about handling? Obnoxious gap between tyre side wall and the wheel arch amplifying the rake of the car. Over a period of time C-segment average cars getting higher in ground clearance for better under vehicle air flow that should theoretically interpret into good fuel economy but at the cost of a a much needed road grip. Take the example of Honda Civic 6th Gen followed by 7th, 8th and then 9th Gen. Internationally, that increase is incremental. Much effort is put into the increase in wheel base, width of a car and enhanced aerodynamics (CAD and wind tunnel tests) which exudes that lovely A-line / Beltline and pay richer dividends translating into an overall a better car in every way while remaining in that specific segment/class.
    But in this case I could stick my upper head into that gap (Okay, I guess it’s a little too much, Kuch Zyada Lambi Chor Di). But honestly, why would IMC tamper with the basic design of a vehicle converting it into a possible flaw. With that horrendous gap the car is downright unstable with minimum road grip specially while driving on motorways at 100+ KM/Hr and cross winds slapping the car perpendicularly. Now, in the same scenario imagine you gradually turning also on bends, it’s a swinger party. Suicidal. You know, suicide also comes at a cost and you really need to read reviews on how to kill yourself. A .30 bore pistol is much preferred over a butter knife. But, hey, IMC just loves you and made your job of committing suicide much easier. Eurostars! That’s right. The Ultra High Extreme Ultimate Performance tyres made out of recycled busted Panther Tyres and Medicam tooth paste tubes. Put in those large wheel wells coupled with the already high chassis is a .30 bore pistol TT to your head.
    Shan’s next block buster movie “WAAR 2” debuting soon shows him lying flat on the road while this bad guy tries to run him over in a shiny new 11th Gen Corolla but all in vain as every time he tried to pass over, Shan readjusts and easily the Corolla passes over him without a scratch. In the end, the bad guy hits the brakes and yells out (with that evil smile): “Just stay there, let me bring an 8th Gen Civic Reborn” or “Thehr teri tu……abi laya Reborn phir dekh”.
    Okay that was a lame joke which many of you might not have enjoyed (damn well right that’s your problem). But recently, Clint Eastwood ordered three Corolla XLi from Indus Motor Company (IMC) Pakistan for his upcoming Hollywood Blockbusters “Simply Lame” and “Simply Shame”. Guess what, he booked them for regular delivery when he heard the prices of premium and WHT being non-filer.
    Gentlemen, the gap is as bad while driving as it looks to the eye. Unstable, less than average road bite/grip and to make matters worse, those Eurostars.
    Next up is the most dangerous EPS I have ever experienced. You feel as if you’re driving a hover boat with the controls on a Q-Mobile Tab. Go ahead imagine it, there’s no tax on that. It requires constant correction while driving even in almost straight lines. Before disagreeing, critically observe while driving next time. There is absolutely zero road feedback. Everything seems so numb and dead. Seriously? Is that how enthusiasts like their cars? Compared directly to its arch rival, the 9th Gen Civic has got a much better EPS.
    The brake pedal seems to be attached directly to the brake disc. Everytime I hit the brakes, there is this grinding feel transmitted from the pedal to my foot while the car is decelerating. This could be temporary or may get rectified later, but c’mon IMC, what the Eff. In rain, you have to decelerate from 80 KMPH to 50 KMPH due to dangerous road grip, instability. Make it 30 KMPH if you are negotiating tighter turns.
    I wanted a car that would give me some driving fun, some adrenaline rush, some goose bumps. I needed road feedback with the ability to do some nice cornering and braking. No don’t tell me to go buy an Audi or a Ferrari. Most of us weren’t born with a silver spoon in the mouth or somewhere else. My 8th Gen Civic was purely a man’s driving machine, hands down. If Honda Atlas could do it, why not IMC. It’s still not late. If a recall is an embarrassment, please my dear IMC, devise other ways to quietly correct the humongous height from the rear. All this time I thought that the shocks were made in Thailand and probably the springs in Pakistan. But to my utter dismay, the shocks are made in Pakistan (confirmed) whereas the springs may be Thailand manufactured. Oh, by the way, Brand New OEM / Genuine Toyota Shocks are available for this car made in Japan, made in Thailand (not fully confirmed) and of course Made in Pakistan by IMC.

So what’s the solution? Of course I could find some Kabuli shocks/springs, I could buy TRD suspension for more than one lac rupees, I could just buy the TRD springs for 40,000/- from that Jack the Ripper at F-10 Markaz. I could buy Continental ContiSport Contact 5 (Made in Germany 2014 Late) tyres and enjoy the ride or I could compromise and let go of my old habits spoiled by a 2011 Honda Civic. But I’m not insanely rich. I may be crazy but I’m for sure not that stupid. Just a stupid step by IMC and it’s broken so many hearts. The Corolla will sell like anything. This review will become history / poooof / evaporate, people will move on because its not the EPS that is numb, it is us too. I paid a lot over and above my Civic Viper just to get a lifelessly numb car with below average road grip, unstable design, zero driving pleasure in terms of sportiness. For the money spent its not a bad car but might probably be my last Corolla. The Civic is more aggressive, dynamic and sporty in almost any generation. These things are in its DNA. The deal breaking issues faced in this car are subjective and depends purely upon my personal experience. If you are like me, I suggest wait it out and buy the Civic. If you disagree and want a good family sedan with plenty of space, great design, nice fuel consumption and solid reliability, this Corolla is the way to go. @VCheng was right that sportiness and Corolla will probably never go together. Special thanks to @KamranAslam and @Spano for giving me useful tips. Since this was my third attempt while writing down everything so I was kinda turned off and might have missed few details.
    Thank you for a patient read. I hope you enjoyed it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Finally, now i can die in peace!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

fouad bhai you are right corolla and sportiness will never go together !

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

They should launch this Trd 1.6 1ZR-FE with supercharger version over here for the speed fans.
    11th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -159289911th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -1592900 11th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -1592901

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its not the speed, its the sportier drive and all aspects of handling. No thrill. Sportier feel and drive could be enjoyed even below 100 KMPH. I've tried to remain practical. I know IMC can't do anything about the EPS. But what all they have done (from their own side) has wrecked an otherwise fine car.
    I could live with fewer features or bells and whistles but not at the cost of basic issues. Larki haya wali aur parda wali honi chahye. Nek seerat ho. Parhi likhi ho takey ghar nafasat se chala sake (These are all basics). Lamba qad, neeli ankhein, gora rang, lambey baal, piyari muskurahat, khobsoorat naqsh, ameer gharana (These are all features and bonuses). Imagine, can you lose the basics at the cost of features?
    Yar abhi bhi agr samajh nahin ayi tu

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I thought I will find my name in the long story

Sent from Galaxy Note4
    Ehtesham Bokhari
    https://www.facebook.com/sebokhari

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Spano View Post
    I thought I will find my name in the long story

Sent from Galaxy Note4
    Look again. You are very much there.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Badly need a few more options in Pakistan and after this review I am even more confused about making a choice.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post

The car seriously lacks in the most basic aspect of any car and that is its “handling characteristic”.
    ^^Its all here to wrap the candy

some times I feel it may not be the design but the poor driver seat order which does not allow to get the feel that I have the control at every corner.

Last but not the least I do feel Like on flying carpet even on bumpee roads Civic can not give that

But sweetheart (11th gen Corolla) you are good from my driver, dropping my daughter to School, my wife to her school. and for me i am happy with my CD70 I'll use you for week-ends or the day when not in mood for motorbike.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

Closed Thread
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

User Tag List