Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 11th Gen Corolla (Hornet): An Unlucky Affair

Introducing Corolla GLi 1.3 (Super ECT)
    Asalamoalikum respected PakWheel members and guests.
    Alhamdolillah, Allah has blessed me with this brand new car after I let
    Viper go to its next handler and keeper, after a very satisfying experience of a little over four years. With blessing from Allah (S.W) and friends like you, I hope to make this is a no-nonsense, extremely informative and enjoyable thread just like Viper. This cannot be possible without your support, appreciation, critique, guidance, sharing and participation. So hop in, like and subscribe.

But, the driving experience has not been anything more than average. The only aspect in which this car stands out (at the moment in Pakistan) is its shape.

Table of Contents
    1. Introduction and Background ------------------------------ Page 1
    2. Stark Naked Review (The Decision)---------------------- Page 1
    3. True Horror Story (On Fuel Consumption) -------------- Page 1
    4. Review (Exterior Styling, Build Quality)------------------- Page 2
    5. Aerodynamics Verification (Thanks @autophile) ------ Page 2
    6. Review (Interior Styling, Layout and Build Quality) --- Page 3
    7. Comparison Recap ------------------------------------------- Page 4
    8. Performance and Drive Quality ---------------------------- Page 4
    9. Final Thoughts and Wrap Up ------------------------------- Page 5
    10.Teaser Photos ------------------------------------------------- Page 5
    11. Fog Lamps (Options, Variety and Selection) ---------- Page 6
    12. Night Visibility Upgrade Philips CrystalVision -------- Page 7
    13. Decide Between White and Black Colours ------------ Page 7
    14. Stainless Scuff Plates (OEM Toyota) ------------------- Page 9
    15. Combo Utility / Multi Purpose Hook Dock ------------- Page 9
    16. Interior Photo Showing Some Changes --------------- Page 11
    17. Night Time Photography ----------------------------------- Page 11
    18. Fresh Update on Drive and Handling ------------------- Page 12
    19. Photography by @Spano's Galaxy Note 4 ------------ Page 12
    20. Steering Controls (Install Photos and Cost) ----------- Page 13
    21. GLi (Auto) Underpower Myth Busted -------------------- Page 13
    22. Hornet's Climb to Monal (Videos) ------------------------ Page 15
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

reminds me my college days .. i hate writeups... cant concentrate on a page for long time ...

what is understand.. Nothing Bad for basic+ user..

once my friend told me buy Suzuki Jimney when u will pass kalar kahar u will rule that Area.. I told i rarely use motorway so dont need car for only that purpose...

live in city where ur daily need is 45-60 km/h speed with AC.. Make life easy and simple.
    Lastly Please dont expect Mercedes Characteristics from poor rola..like super suspension and etc..
    name : Amer
    Blood Group : SPL +ve

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fouadbakht Nice detailed write up reflective of your true feelings. I knew from day one that you will never like Corolla. Had you chosen 1.6 you might not have encountered all those issues which are bothering you. Because now I have driven this car for nearly 3,000 kms and it has not disappointed me in any department.

Brakes are awesome and the ABS has saved me from crazy cutting drivers who suddenly come from let and enter the lane in 45 degrees angle. In two and half months, there had been three near miss incidents and MashaAllah it handled them so well.

I am still on Euros and will continue with them. I have driven this car up to 140 kms and it feels like just going at 80 kms, so gripping to the road and stable at that speeds and when floored at turning on of green signal the adrenaline rush is definitely triggered. I wished I had a loud exhaust because the way 1ZR-FE sounds and Aisin Warner Japanese transmission smoothly shifts gears is just exhilarating.

I have driven a 2NZ-FE for 10 years and had been a calm and careful driver, but this 1.6 invites me to floor it, even at this age Just my two cents.

Before parting just a stupid question. Have you driven a 1.6 yet or not. If yes then would like to have your take on that.

Free Advice: Sell this if you find some well kept prosmatec 8th Gen till 10th Gen hits the market
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice write-up Fouad bhai, you have explained the things very well.
    The precision handling that I get from my Prius is not even comparable to that of Corolla, I make sharp turns while changing lanes easily at above 140 km/h in the Prius, but once did the same "stunt" in Corolla at 120 km/h when it had EuroStars and very soon I realized that I had made a big blunder and held on for dear life, lifted my foot of the throttle but did not brake and very soon the car got back on track. No it did not go Arab style but it was certainly about to had I not taken corrective action in time.
    This problem will be there in every variant as everyone of them has the same height and "wonderful" EuroStar tires.
    After keeping a Civic 8th Gen, it is certain that one cannot digest the fact of driving any Corolla, had the 8th Gen been a bit economical on fuel I would've never bought a Prius, I love that model to the bits.
    The wheel arch gap will remain there, but now when I have finally changed the tires to Michelin Energy XM2, things have changed, in actual terms "Tabdeeli aa gai hai".
    I tried hard braking and they proved their worth, I took some corners while flooring the pedal and the car didn't lose control, I swerved at speed and the car didn't go Arab style, the list goes on.
    EuroStars are the crappiest tires I've come across hands down, and after driving such amazing tires like the Pirellis on my Prius, hardly any other tire satisfies the "Tharak" I have developed.
    So in the end I would say that dear big brother, currently you will receive good exchange value of the EuroStars, get rid of them as soon as possible. If you are willing to test drive the Michelins, me and my car are both "haazir" at your service but don't be disappointed with the car. Sadly, we are at a serious lack of options in cars in Pakistan, and I mean brand new ones, because nothing beats the "zero meter" feel.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    8th Gen Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 GLX 2006; 3rd Gen Toyota Prius 1.8 S-Touring 2010; 11th Gen Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi AT 2014.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    @fouadbakht Nice detailed write up reflective of your true feelings. I knew from day one that you will never like Corolla. Had you chosen 1.6 you might not have encountered all those issues which are bothering you. Because now I have driven this car for nearly 3,000 kms and it has not disappointed me in any department.

Brakes are awesome and the ABS has saved me from crazy cutting drivers who suddenly come from let and enter the lane in 45 degrees angle. In two and half months, there had been three near miss incidents and MashaAllah it handled them so well.

I am still on Euros and will continue with them. I have driven this car up to 140 kms and it feels like just going at 80 kms, so gripping to the road and stable at that speeds and when floored at turning on of green signal the adrenaline rush is definitely triggered. I wished I had a loud exhaust because the way 1Z-FR sounds and Aisin Warner Japanese transmission smoothly shifts gears is just exhilarating.

I have driven a 2NZ-FE for 10 years and had been a calm and careful driver, but this 1.6 invites me to floor it, even at this age Just my two cents.

Before parting just a stupid question. Have you driven a 1.6 yet or not. If yes then would like to have your take on that.

Free Advice: Sell this if you find some well kept prosmatec 8th Gen till 10th Gen hits the market

Agreed 101%...Brakes are superb...grip is savvy.....engine noise too low...cabin comfort a notch above...and the (leather wrapped ) EPS is a joy to hold and steer...

oh yes! that wheel arch gap sure sucks..but i took a old spare 200AH AGS Battery....thoroughly drained/cleaned/dried it and placed it in the 495 litre boot..LOL....the gap went down by 1.5 inches....atleast! The battery goes..where i go...

Did i mention that im talking of a 2ZR-FE with a 6 Speed Manual on 205/65 Advan dB's? (its a monster..trust me!)
    sent from my HD2 without using the handset itself!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post
    Its not the speed, its the sportier drive and all aspects of handling. No thrill. Sportier feel and drive could be enjoyed even below 100 KMPH. I've tried to remain practical. I know IMC can't do anything about the EPS. But what all they have done (from their own side) has wrecked an otherwise fine car.
    I could live with fewer features or bells and whistles but not at the cost of basic issues. Larki haya wali aur parda wali honi chahye. Nek seerat ho. Parhi likhi ho takey ghar nafasat se chala sake (These are all basics). Lamba qad, neeli ankhein, gora rang, lambey baal, piyari muskurahat, khobsoorat naqsh, ameer gharana (These are all features and bonuses). Imagine, can you lose the basics at the cost of features?
    Yar abhi bhi agr samajh nahin ayi tu
    brother you need to visit me and have a ride in my 17 years old Margallah. it just delivers and grows on more and more every time i drive it (sometimes it stays parked for month ).

a comprehensive write up. i told u, u r jeremy clarkson of pakistan. you think like him, think like a enthusiast exactly they way enthusiasts should. power windows or sun roofs never matter in the end.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if you are gonna keep the ride, i think the direction would be to check and install axio springs. --> your research will help us too.

also 16 rims with dunlop direzza or yokohama blue earth AE50. --> let me know if you are up for it. will share the details. i have been able to locate something appropriate.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Fouad sahab

I can understand your feelings right now but one thing which is bothering me and pushed me towards writing this post is why did you choose corolla in a first place. You already new all theses issuses were there since its launch, people on pakwheels kept on complaining about that hideous gap in between tyre and fender, because of that gap car is bound to float after crossing 120, havent driven mine upto that speed but am already prepared.
    In my case i new it before buying that i will have to face all those disappointments about which you have mentioned in your above write up but to my surprise corolla has improved a lot.
    I think you should drive 9th generation corolla for few days, borrow it from someone and then start driving your car again, am sure you will love your decision then.
    brother come out of that misery, we have no option in that "two million" bracket. its like government and these thug automobile cartel has put a gun on our head to buy their bad quality products.
    Anyways stay blessed and try to enjoy your ride. I know there is nothing to enjoy about it. LOL. still.......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post

I am still on Euros and will continue with them. I have driven this car up to 140 kms and it feels like just going at 80 kms, so gripping to the road and stable at that speeds and when floored at turning on of green signal the adrenaline rush is definitely triggered. I wished I had a loud exhaust because the way 1ZR-FE sounds and Aisin Warner Japanese transmission smoothly shifts gears is just exhilarating.

@fouadbakht To each his own, as @autophile shows above. I know just the car for you: The Honda Jazz/Fit. Finding it is Pakistan might be a problem though.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A GLI 1.3 review to rule out corolla for lack of driving pleasure....hmm man you are missing sme thing. Not impressed.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    @fouadbakht To each his own, as @autophile shows above. I know just the car for you: The Honda Jazz/Fit. Finding it is Pakistan might be a problem though.
    nice suggestion brother.

can be found in isb. have seen many. even know 1 of them up close. nice ride and finding a good one should not be too much of a hassle since importers are inclined towards it due to lesser tax (since it comes in hybrid category).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    The wheel arch gap will remain there, but now when I have finally changed the tires to Michelin Energy XM2, things have changed, in actual terms "Tabdeeli aa gai hai".
    I tried hard braking and they proved their worth, I took some corners while flooring the pedal and the car didn't lose control, I swerved at speed and the car didn't go Arab style, the list goes on.
    EuroStars are the crappiest tires I've come across hands down, and after driving such amazing tires like the Pirellis on my Prius, hardly any other tire satisfies the "Tharak" I have developed.
    So in the end I would say that dear big brother, currently you will receive good exchange value of the EuroStars, get rid of them as soon as possible. If you are willing to test drive the Michelins, me and my car are both "haazir" at your service but don't be disappointed with the car. Sadly, we are at a serious lack of options in cars in Pakistan, and I mean brand new ones, because nothing beats the "zero meter" feel.

I second for XM2's they do improve alot for this FAT BURGER, but for me I still feel there is alot of correction to make or I am expecting too much from this ride.

11th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -1592910

11th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -1592911

11th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -1592912
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This car deserves a bigger Engine. 2NZ-FE makes this car almost pleasure less. The added power fixes everything for me atleast, I know the car will respond when I floor it. Moreover, the crappy eurostars are mainly to be blamed here. Please just change the tires to something grippy and your impressions against corolla will change immediately. Lastly get your car lowered, the coil overs are easily available. All these will further enhance the driving please of your corolla.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am happy i booked 1.3 auto , a grande would have made me high speed worry wart , now i will get a 1.3 change its tires and keep the car max at 120 km , thanks for the review

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I drive a grande , yes I also noticed some lack of control or unresponsiveness in the eps , but it improved when I changed my tires to 215-60-16. And road grip and handling around the corners is now near to perfect, plus pretty stable at high speeds. Brakes , I did not find any problem with them , they r pretty responsive.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It means the unusual rear tyre gap is not only sore to eyes but performance also.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    suggested him, but seems like he is not a hatchback fan he is with a big family I too feel he needs to get settle on good sedan.

Below our member @rohansaeed's fit, and in karachi they are in good number.

11th Gen Corolla Hornet An Unlucky Affair -1592919
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    52 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bilal49er View Post
    Agreed 101%...Brakes are superb...grip is savvy.....engine noise too low...cabin comfort a notch above...and the (leather wrapped ) EPS is a joy to hold and steer...

oh yes! that wheel arch gap sure sucks..but i took a old spare 200AH AGS Battery....thoroughly drained/cleaned/dried it and placed it in the 495 litre boot..LOL....the gap went down by 1.5 inches....atleast! The battery goes..where i go...

Did i mention that im talking of a 2ZR-FE with a 6 Speed Manual on 205/65 Advan dB's? (its a monster..trust me!)
    What an idea...! F**K! I am putting in 2 batteries LOL
    Agar chy bu'tt' hain Jama'at ki Aasteenon main - Mujhay Hai Hukm-e-Aazaan LA ILA HA ILL ALLAH...!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I couldn't agree more with your review. Although I drive the previous generation Corolla but I have had the experience to drive the 11th one as well, for quite some time.

All I can assure is that you can not drive a Corolla confidently as you would drive a Civic, as soon as I hit above 80, I feel the car is telling me that it would be wiser to slow down, sucks.

Corolla is good for the passengers in your car, considering its comfort and room but not very pleasing for the one driving it. I've decided to drive it until the launch of new City.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Though I understand that you didnt liked Corolla's handling after driving 8th civic , me myself has booked Grande Cvti after driving both Grande and 9th gen Civic.I am currently keeping 8th gen civic manual same as you and after driving both grande and civic 9th gen , at the end I was more impressed with Grande.I will tell you in points why:

1: Corolla is super silent compared to 9th gen civic and 8th gen.
    2:Corolla has more or same acceleration as civic 9th gen and 8th gen.
    3: 2zr-fe is more smooth than r18 both the civics

4:Grande has better economy than both civics
    5:Grande has same steering feedback and grip as 9th gen Civic.8th gen is a class apart in this department.
    6:Grandes navi is a lot better than 9th gens

7:Grande is more beautiful than 9th gen civic

8:Corolla is more comfortable than civic

9:Grande cvti is 1.5 lakhs cheaper than similar civic
    Overall as 8th gen is now 9 years old now its time to upgrade and Grande is the best overall answer

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Aunda Fan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mubeenshahid View Post
    Though I understand that you didnt liked Corolla's handling after driving 8th civic , me myself has book Grande CvtI after driving both Grande and 9th gen Civic.I am currently keeping 8th gen civic manual same as you and after driving both grande and civic 9th gen , at the end I was more impressed with Grande.I will tell you in points why:

1: Corolla is super silent compared to 9th gen civic and 8th gen.
    2:Corolla has more or same acceleration as civic 9th gen and 8th gen.
    3: 2zr-fe is more smooth than r18 both the civics

4:Grande has better economy than both civics
    5:Grande has same steering feedback and grip as 9th gen Civic.8th gen is a class apart in this department.
    6:Grandes navi is a lot better than 9th gens

7:Grande is more beautiful than 9th gen civic

Overall as 8th gen is now 9 years old now its time to upgrade and Grande is the best overall answer

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Well said! (Y)

Closed Thread
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

User Tag List