Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 11th Gen Corolla (Hornet): An Unlucky Affair

Introducing Corolla GLi 1.3 (Super ECT)
    Asalamoalikum respected PakWheel members and guests.
    Alhamdolillah, Allah has blessed me with this brand new car after I let
    Viper go to its next handler and keeper, after a very satisfying experience of a little over four years. With blessing from Allah (S.W) and friends like you, I hope to make this is a no-nonsense, extremely informative and enjoyable thread just like Viper. This cannot be possible without your support, appreciation, critique, guidance, sharing and participation. So hop in, like and subscribe.

But, the driving experience has not been anything more than average. The only aspect in which this car stands out (at the moment in Pakistan) is its shape.

Table of Contents
    1. Introduction and Background ------------------------------ Page 1
    2. Stark Naked Review (The Decision)---------------------- Page 1
    3. True Horror Story (On Fuel Consumption) -------------- Page 1
    4. Review (Exterior Styling, Build Quality)------------------- Page 2
    5. Aerodynamics Verification (Thanks @autophile) ------ Page 2
    6. Review (Interior Styling, Layout and Build Quality) --- Page 3
    7. Comparison Recap ------------------------------------------- Page 4
    8. Performance and Drive Quality ---------------------------- Page 4
    9. Final Thoughts and Wrap Up ------------------------------- Page 5
    10.Teaser Photos ------------------------------------------------- Page 5
    11. Fog Lamps (Options, Variety and Selection) ---------- Page 6
    12. Night Visibility Upgrade Philips CrystalVision -------- Page 7
    13. Decide Between White and Black Colours ------------ Page 7
    14. Stainless Scuff Plates (OEM Toyota) ------------------- Page 9
    15. Combo Utility / Multi Purpose Hook Dock ------------- Page 9
    16. Interior Photo Showing Some Changes --------------- Page 11
    17. Night Time Photography ----------------------------------- Page 11
    18. Fresh Update on Drive and Handling ------------------- Page 12
    19. Photography by @Spano's Galaxy Note 4 ------------ Page 12
    20. Steering Controls (Install Photos and Cost) ----------- Page 13
    21. GLi (Auto) Underpower Myth Busted -------------------- Page 13
    22. Hornet's Climb to Monal (Videos) ------------------------ Page 15
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post
    That is very informative.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using PW Forums
    Sir I am also using same tyres
    215/60/R16
    The road grip , stability at higher speeds between 120 to 140 and handling at corners is much much better as compared to the other 1.3 white manual 11th gen Corolla with eurostars I had ...
    I think changing the tyres will be the best next upgrade for Hornet
    PREDATOR 11th Gen Corolla and RED MAMBA Reborn...
    Blast from the Past Sabre 9th gen Civic n Blue Max Reborn...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

But buying a mid range car does not mean it should be stripped of slightly sportier feel. Heck, if other cars in its category can deliver the same, what's wrong with a Corolla. What is so hard for IMC to understand?

Why will IMC understand the specific element of need, they are already sharing more then developing countries require, you guys don't stand at a point to complain, or point corrections to it - BUY it or LEAVE.

Customer needs and assessments are just the paragraphs we read in our college days, and those mentioned solutions are for the developed countries not the developing countries. So BACK-OFF and stop complaining.

I use to complain a lot years back but now -- suggestion and correction is like wasting time or Bhains kay agay beein bajjana.

If the product is not equivalent to the promise made = My fault I am incapable for making a right choice in this region.

@fouadbakht : its not IMC its you at fault to make a right decision.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks Masroor bhai. But the way we both see a 1.6 is probably the platforms from which we both are arriving, like me from an 8th Gen Civic. Also, the issue with this Corolla (less XLi due to absence of ABS) is not variant or trim specific. It's there across the entire line up which may possibly be less simulated in Grande CVT-i (so far the most advanced engine and transmission combo yet) primarily because suspension and rake of the car is same for all.
    The 1.6 is a better car, no denying that but (personally speaking) by what percentage to cost ratio? That is somewhat subjective. The thing is buying this model for a huge sum of money and then bringing it to your liking is not cost effective at all and not worth the money.
    Like I've already hammered, if IMC had not taken matters in the suspension department into its own hands, I would not not have been typing all this.
    The way I see it: Why would a car that is a generation apart arriving after the 8th Gen Civic (after 8 years) by one of the most reputable companies in the world be lacking in basic handling. The answer is: It doesn't lack but Hats off to IMC to screwing an otherwise good design.

I would like to respectfully differ on the part that one has to make "huge investment" for 1.6 variant. It's just a difference of 125,000 rupees and then you can begin to do whatever upgrades you like. I personally feel no need for any upgrade or shashka, even for me EuroStars do the job well.

Secondly, as enthusiast, you cannot do much with a 1.3 lit car, it would be bogged down by all those accessories, body kits, and 17 inch rims with wider imported tires and with lowering springs. No matter how much you spend, it will remain like that. It will not give you any excitement. I still like 2NZ-FE because of its fuel economy and ample power, but since I have moved to 1.6 1ZR-FE, it has changed my driving habits. I feel fully in control and the car has lizard grip even with Euro Stars. It moves like a knife in warm butter when it comes to wading through the swarms of cars on Islamabad Expressway.

I travel daily on one of the messiest tracks in Rawalpindi-Islamabad and when I reach home or office, I am fresh and relaxed and enjoy little boosts of excitement.

It's true, I would not have enjoyed a 1.3 Corolla and that too Automatic, after driving a Civic, but the 1.6 with a better and newer power plant coupled with reputed Aisin Warner automatic transmission gives a different feel.

Test drive is Hazir if you desire.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    I would like to respectfully differ on the part that one has to make "huge investment" for 1.6 variant. It's just a difference of 125,000 rupees and then you can begin to do whatever upgrades you like. I personally feel no need for any upgrade or shashka, even for me EuroStars do the job well.

Secondly, as enthusiast, you cannot do much with a 1.3 lit car, it would be bogged down by all those accessories, body kits, and 17 inch rims with wider imported tires and with lowering springs. No matter how much you spend, it will remain like that. It will not give you any excitement. I still like 2NZ-FE because of its fuel economy and ample power, but since I have moved to 1.6 1ZR-FE, it has changed my driving habits. I feel fully in control and the car has lizard grip even with Euro Stars. It moves like a knife in warm butter when it comes to wading through the swarms of cars on Islamabad Expressway.

I travel daily on one of the messiest tracks in Rawalpindi-Islamabad and when I reach home or office, I am fresh and relaxed and enjoy little boosts of excitement.

It's true, I would not have enjoyed a 1.3 Corolla and that too Automatic, after driving a Civic, but the 1.6 with a better and newer power plant coupled with reputed Aisin Warner automatic transmission gives a different feel.

Test drive is Hazir if you desire.
    Very valid points !

Surely its very difficult to find satisfaction after downgrading from 1.8 to 1.3, no matter how subjecive you get, you cannot beat human instinct.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

All this time you were driving with Eurostars. . . .
    What can you expect from them?
    Its not justified to review a car, specially its road grip, when its on Eurostars.
    In your review you proposed ContiComfortContact CC5 tyres as a cure. I am using them in my Gli MT 2015. They have excellent road grip.
    However I would suggest you to go for CC5 Malaysian made as their treadwear rating is more than the German made. 360 vs 250
    "The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Man I really dig your style. I putting in two bags of Cement.

we used to place sand bags in rear dhala of hilux or vigo in order to make it comfortable. never thot corolla will be also like this in future.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great. What are we waiting for . Let's hear it.

for the pics just watsapp me on 03335120067. rims would be 16 inch and to keep the over all profile same, the calculated tyre size is 205/55/16.

tyre options that i have short listed are dunlop direzza or yokohama blueearth A AE50.

total cost would be around 70K (rims : 30-35K, Tyres : 40K for a set of 4).

however i believe your current tyres and rims will be sold too so expect to spend somewhere around 50K .

but i am quite hopeful that it will improve on the current situation surely IA.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congrats @fouadbakht on the new ride and kudos for a very interesting and comprehensive review..now encouraging me to make an attempt at reviewing Grande CVTi which I preferred over a Civic as an official car amidst so much confusion!Just one question please (2nd picture on the post), from where and at what price did you get the steering controls (right side) handsfree i guess? a must for focused driving! Any idea would it be an easy fix for Grande steering? Thanks, Fouad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Okay. I just read the whole review written by @fouadbakht bhai. Very well written.
    Being an owner of both 9th gen Civic and Grande Cvti. I totally agree with fouad bhai. Corolla is absolutely no where near to a car which is available in same price bracket (No no no. See I didn't mention civic here. Please don't bash me) in terms of handling/braking and road grip. Heck I even find 10th gen corolla more better in terms of comfort and handling than 11th gen Corolla. At least it looks like a balanced car.

Yes. Corolla's suspension is soft and yes it's cabin is a bit more quiet(please read carefully. Only a bit more) and this only holds for Altis 1.8 variants.
    But we can see the wonders of "oh so soft" more than decade old torison beam suspension and that enormous tire gap which leads to absolutely pathetic road grip on higher speeds and more body roll and brakes make you feel like "iss ne nahee ruknaa time per". But not everything is soft suspensions to a person who expects something from his/her car in terms of driving pleasure. There are other things which OP has already mentioned.

Cheers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aliusman420 View Post
    Yes the high COG is an issue because IMC just lifted the car without any proper adjustments, to cure this one can opt for the Japanese variant's suspension but that is not something feasible for a new car, but would be worth a shot. The problem is that it will cost too much and the car will lose its charm. Look on the brighter side of things, you cross rough roads at a decent speed without any worry, you cross the largest of the speed-bumps without tilting the car and in deep water the car drives smoothly. Prius specially the Touring Edition has excellent handling and acceleration but the car cannot be frequently used on rough roads and you have to slow down to almost zero at several speed-bumps even when you are the only person in the car.
    When the car is fully loaded, it balances itself quite well and with good rubber you can take it to its limits easily on the Motorway, yes it gets shaky with the wind in the specific areas on the Motorway, that is an issue but I don't think anything can be done about it sadly, two days ago I crossed that area in my Prius with my hands off the steering wheel and the car didn't change its lane or feel shaky even the slightest, but the price difference between the two cars is immense, you can literally get a small car of recent years in that price for kitchen use.
    Very well said. Specially the bold parts. The thing is, if the previous generation Corolla also had sufficient ground clearance, then why did they have to even increase the same in this generation?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mubeenshahid View Post
    Actually my mamu just upgraded from city to altis and according to him its handling is better than city it feels better planted on road

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Mubeen I'm sure your mamu is giving a very honest and solid feedback. Guy's, look at Corolla and City, compare their dimensions and specially take into considerations its length, width, height and wheels base (which alone makes quite a difference) bringing natural stability to the car without any fancy electronics or techy terms such as VSA, ESP, DSC, ESC. Like @KamranAslam always says and I quote "If you got to judge a hotel or stall for its tea always ask for a regular cup of tea and not doodh patti".

Wheel base of Corolla is 2700 mm or 106.3 inches. The Honda City on the other hand has a wheel base of 2550 mm or 100.3 inches. Wheel base has a big role to play in stability.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

just saying if its handling you are after none other could have been better than a properly sorted Rear wheel drive, multiple drive modes, ESP and fully independent suspension with lightweight aluminium components and bushes. that said any mercedes you would have bought would need the rubber and other stuff refreshed underneath which 9 times out of 10 no one would have bothered to do which would cost a great deal of money which i understand you didn't want to spend.

best would have been to stick to viper and wait it out for the next civic, however since you have hornet i got to ask in daily drive how much handling would a person a need to goto office and back or drop kids to school so for the time being i think you'll be happy with hornet and keep your should on hold for the next civic. but IMC dropped the ball on this one with their modifications and i know exactly what you mean by the EPS i have a 2006 altis also in addition to the 2010 and at least the steering feel is much better in the 2006 due to being hydraulic though its better in the altis then the gli due to a sliglhty wider tyres and the fact that the 4 spoke steering wheel in altis is really big so it does not feel as if the steering requires correction all the time and heavier engine weight over the front wheels makes its more secure though maybe less sharp.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very well said. Specially the bold parts. The thing is, if the previous generation Corolla also had sufficient ground clearance, then why did they have to even increase the same in this generation?
    i kept on asking the same question to the dealerships while they were launching it last year, they kept on insisting that its the same as its predecessor.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by InNoCeNt_DeViL View Post
    Sir I am also using same tyres
    215/60/R16
    The road grip , stability at higher speeds between 120 to 140 and handling at corners is much much better as compared to the other 1.3 white manual 11th gen Corolla with eurostars I had ...
    I think changing the tyres will be the best next upgrade for Hornet
    And then I will be writing another review on the tyres? Yar bas na bachey ki jaan logey kia?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    just saying if its handling you are after none other could have been better than a properly sorted Rear wheel drive, multiple drive modes, ESP and fully independent suspension with lightweight aluminium components and bushes. that said any mercedes you would have bought would need the rubber and other stuff refreshed underneath which 9 times out of 10 no one would have bothered to do which would cost a great deal of money which i understand you didn't want to spend.

best would have been to stick to viper and wait it out for the next civic, however since you have hornet i got to ask in daily drive how much handling would a person a need to goto office and back or drop kids to school so for the time being i think you'll be happy with hornet and keep your should on hold for the next civic. but IMC dropped the ball on this one with their modifications and i know exactly what you mean by the EPS i have a 2006 altis also in addition to the 2010 and at least the steering feel is much better in the 2006 due to being hydraulic though its better in the altis then the gli due to a sliglhty wider tyres and the fact that the 4 spoke steering wheel in altis is really big so it does feel as if the steering requires correction all the time its more secure.
    Wonderful post Arzaam. After myself, your post has spoken my heart out....correctly. The only used car that I had considered was a MB C180 (Model between 2002-2004) but to bring it to my level of satisfaction I knew I had to had a heavy pumped up wallet, time and patience. The Corolla is not my daily driver. I use it for family outings and personal cruising on nice but challenging roads. My choice would have been very different if I were to get something for daily driving.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadabid View Post
    Congrats @fouadbakht on the new ride and kudos for a very interesting and comprehensive review..now encouraging me to make an attempt at reviewing Grande CVTi which I preferred over a Civic as an official car amidst so much confusion!Just one question please (2nd picture on the post), from where and at what price did you get the steering controls (right side) handsfree i guess? a must for focused driving! Any idea would it be an easy fix for Grande steering? Thanks, Fouad
    You are absolutely spot on. Fiddling with the Multi Media or Sat Nav Unit's touch screen is a dangerous thing while driving. That one or two seconds is all it takes to end up in trouble. May Allah keep us all safe. Please click the link below. If you still need further information, let me know:

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/cor...13#post4784465

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    Okay. I just read the whole review written by @fouadbakht bhai. Very well written.
    Being an owner of both 9th gen Civic and Grande Cvti. I totally agree with fouad bhai. Corolla is absolutely no where near to a car which is available in same price bracket (No no no. See I didn't mention civic here. Please don't bash me) in terms of handling/braking and road grip. Heck I even find 10th gen corolla more better in terms of comfort and handling than 11th gen Corolla. At least it looks like a balanced car.

Yes. Corolla's suspension is soft and yes it's cabin is a bit more quiet(please read carefully. Only a bit more) and this only holds for Altis 1.8 variants.
    But we can see the wonders of "oh so soft" more than decade old torison beam suspension and that enormous tire gap which leads to absolutely pathetic road grip on higher speeds and more body roll and brakes make you feel like "iss ne nahee ruknaa time per". But not everything is soft suspensions to a person who expects something from his/her car in terms of driving pleasure. There are other things which OP has already mentioned.

Cheers.
    Thanks bhai. At least someone understands me in the correct way.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Okay, for those who still are undecided on the 1.3 GLi vs 1.6 Altis, a summary will be coming up next in an attempt to settle the issue once and for all. I humbly came out with my observations about the Hornet trying to contribute and also gave the way out or options for IMC and actions at the end user level. My humble request is to bring out the negatives and later the positives so that potential customers benefit from these threads. There is nothing personal here. If I experienced issues in my purchase and if I were to accept that down the road I made few mistakes, I should be open about. There's no reason to defend or bash any particular model.

Yar lagta hai Pakistan vs India match is going on. Lol

Vote: How many of you are in favour of a duel between the 1.3 vs 1.6 in handling and other road tests in video?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How would you feel if a 1.3 lit engine is put in 8th Gen Civic. How it will drive and handle then? Just to clarify 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8 engines drive feel in same Toyota shells.
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    How would you feel if a 1.3 lit engine is put in 8th Gen Civic. How it will drive and handle then? Just to clarify 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8 engines drive feel in same Toyota shells.
    Cvic hybrid has 1.3L ☺☺☺ lolz
    My brain works as a DOCTOR , but my heart was stolen by CARS!!!

Closed Thread
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

User Tag List