Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 11th Gen Corolla (Hornet): An Unlucky Affair

Introducing Corolla GLi 1.3 (Super ECT)
    Asalamoalikum respected PakWheel members and guests.
    Alhamdolillah, Allah has blessed me with this brand new car after I let
    Viper go to its next handler and keeper, after a very satisfying experience of a little over four years. With blessing from Allah (S.W) and friends like you, I hope to make this is a no-nonsense, extremely informative and enjoyable thread just like Viper. This cannot be possible without your support, appreciation, critique, guidance, sharing and participation. So hop in, like and subscribe.

But, the driving experience has not been anything more than average. The only aspect in which this car stands out (at the moment in Pakistan) is its shape.

Table of Contents
    1. Introduction and Background ------------------------------ Page 1
    2. Stark Naked Review (The Decision)---------------------- Page 1
    3. True Horror Story (On Fuel Consumption) -------------- Page 1
    4. Review (Exterior Styling, Build Quality)------------------- Page 2
    5. Aerodynamics Verification (Thanks @autophile) ------ Page 2
    6. Review (Interior Styling, Layout and Build Quality) --- Page 3
    7. Comparison Recap ------------------------------------------- Page 4
    8. Performance and Drive Quality ---------------------------- Page 4
    9. Final Thoughts and Wrap Up ------------------------------- Page 5
    10.Teaser Photos ------------------------------------------------- Page 5
    11. Fog Lamps (Options, Variety and Selection) ---------- Page 6
    12. Night Visibility Upgrade Philips CrystalVision -------- Page 7
    13. Decide Between White and Black Colours ------------ Page 7
    14. Stainless Scuff Plates (OEM Toyota) ------------------- Page 9
    15. Combo Utility / Multi Purpose Hook Dock ------------- Page 9
    16. Interior Photo Showing Some Changes --------------- Page 11
    17. Night Time Photography ----------------------------------- Page 11
    18. Fresh Update on Drive and Handling ------------------- Page 12
    19. Photography by @Spano's Galaxy Note 4 ------------ Page 12
    20. Steering Controls (Install Photos and Cost) ----------- Page 13
    21. GLi (Auto) Underpower Myth Busted -------------------- Page 13
    22. Hornet's Climb to Monal (Videos) ------------------------ Page 15
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    Is your steering aligned, centered? I feel a little bit tilt towards left. Will get it done on next visit.

It's just me or anyone experienced that whenever you get a new car, you are swamped by all sorts or works.
    Here's what I was generously shoved up by IMC:
    1. Mysterious scratches (Personally corrected 100% later on)
    2. Rough Surface / Paint (Personally corrected 100% later on)
    3. Misaligned Steering Wheel Tilted Towards Left (Corrected by Toyota 3S)
    4. Loose Nuts and Bolts (Corrected by Toyota 3S)
    5. Over Spray (Corrected 100% by Toyota 3S)
    6. Fan Knob working on setting 4 Only (Corrected by Toyota 3S in seconds)

When I got delivery of my Viper in 2011, there was nothing I could point out. The paint / surface was slightly rough but smoothed out after just one good polish job. Man you gotta hand over this one to Honda.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I may carry out a proper detailing session including:
    1. Meguiar's Hyper Wash followed by pressure water
    2. Clay Bar
    3. Meguiar's Hyper Wash (Yes again)
    4. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish/Compound
    5. Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax
    6. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Coming up next ........

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569852

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Masha ALLAH!!!! Congrats for such a beautiful ride. May it serves u well. I'm a regular member of this forum, but i post quite rarely. The moment i saw this thread's title i opened the link and as i read the 1st page, I subscribed to this thread and read it till end and now i'm replying here. Ur in depth review of ur car is a treat for newbies like me and i found its very much informative. Thank u again for taking out ur tym and writing this review. This thread helped me a lot, as i was confused earlier b/w honda city & corolla GLI.

Plz post the interior pics of ur car, and post loads of them!!!! Btw, ur writing skills r awesome. Hats OFF!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Usual Drill / Guide for Corolla Owners

Starting Off with Faag Layeeets
    Bought fog lamps with cover plates (OEM) Koito with own Toyota box packing under its part number. This specific light is being offered by Toyota IMC here in Altis Grande. Took them to Toyota Islamabad for verification of authenticity. All izz well. Purchased wiring and switch separately.

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569855Corolla &quotHornet" -1569856

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569853Corolla &quotHornet" -1569854

Alright boys. There are 3 common types of fog lamps available right now in the market.
    1. DEPO (Made in Taiwan if genuine)
    2. ESUSE (Made in Taiwan as per dealers, however, seem to be A Grade China)
    3. DLAA (Genuinely China)
    4. OEM Toyota (Koito) (Made in Thailand)

DEPO: If you want quality and are willing to spend between Rs. 6000-7000, get the DEPO. make sure they are originally packed in brown box with part number and description. Those are the 100% genuine DEPO fog lamps. They have glass lens and are sealed well. They will be having bulbs manufactured by either Philips, OSRAM. You can't go wrong with these. DEPO has OEM certification and is a reputable brand. These should weigh considerably more than any other brand even that of OEM Toyota due to glass lens.

ESUSE: Vendors will swear that these are Made in Taiwan and as good or better than DEPO. These should be Rs. 500-1000/- cheaper than DEPO. These are well built quality product relatively new in the market. Can tolerate high temperatures like DEPO and hopefully last long enough. Their wiring and cover plates are as nicely manufactured as those of DEPO or the OEM Koito. For the meagre difference in price, if you could lay your hands on the original DEPO, don't think twice else, grab these ESUSE and they will serve you well. I have them installed in my mother's 2010 Vitz. While I suspect them of being A Quality/Grade Made in China, nevertheless, dealers swear that these are Taiwanese. These are as heavy as DEPO with glass lens.

DLAA: Ahhh, the good old Daalaa. Purely made in China. These are inexpensive, cost effective (to tell you the truth: B Quality) and should cost you around Rs.2700-3000/-. Light weight kind of "Chalti Ka Naam Gari" or "Guzara" fog lamps. They may last a life time or suck big time, which ever your destiny or fate has in store for you. Sealing is not that good lens is sub par. Bulb is also of typical B-Quality. Wiring is not reliable enough. But for the money, its good value and does the job just fine. So if you have other important priorities or are on a very tight budget, grab em and offer two "nawafil" for their operation.

OEM Toyota Koito: Surprisingly they will feel as light as DLAA with better finishing and quality control and brackets as shown in the above pics. They are reliable, OEM, so you can't go wrong with these. I bought these two lamps for Rs.5000/- along with OEM Toyota face/cover plates (Made in Pakistan) which cost another Rs.600/- (set). Wiring and switch used were of ESUSE. Total cost me almost 7500/- approximately.
    Caution: The lens is high grade plastic (not glass) so you may want to keep that in mind if HIDs will be on the cards.

These are the ESUSE fog lamps that are now currently installed in my mother's Vitz.
    Corolla &quotHornet" -1569863Corolla &quotHornet" -1569864Corolla &quotHornet" -1569865Corolla &quotHornet" -1569866

Bottom Line: Either settle for DLAA and save about Rs.3500-4500/- with a risk of them getting broken or fried or most commonly the bulb dying which could be replaced easily OR Get the DEPO. If genuine DEPO is not available, get the OEM Toyota Koito ones.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by big_show View Post
    Masha ALLAH!!!! Congrats for such a beautiful ride. May it serves u well. ..........
    Thank you very much sir for the kind and highly encouraging words. Your post means a lot to me. Please keep participating. Let's learn from one another and share our experiences.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Foaud bhai do post the prices of each individual accessories and where you got it from. Would really help new buyers. Already your thread has helped alot.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

MashAllah congratulations on new ride fouad bhai .

Glued to thread as it moves on
    Fool me once ...shame on you , Fool me twice ...shame on me , Fool me thrice, i am a PML'N' supporter

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post
    Here's what I was generously shoved up by IMC:
    1. Mysterious scratches (Personally corrected 100% later on)
    2. Rough Surface / Paint (Personally corrected 100% later on)
    3. Misaligned Steering Wheel Tilted Towards Left (Corrected by Toyota 3S)
    4. Loose Nuts and Bolts (Corrected by Toyota 3S)
    5. Over Spray (Corrected 100% by Toyota 3S)
    6. Fan Knob working on setting 4 Only (Corrected by Toyota 3S in seconds)

When I got delivery of my Viper in 2011, there was nothing I could point out. The paint / surface was slightly rough but smoothed out after just one good polish job. Man you gotta hand over this one to Honda.
    On a lighter note Honda made just 900 Civics, while IMC churned out nearly 5,000 cows in March. In Feb only 492 Civics were made compared to 4,685 units of Corolla. So more imperfect units are natural to IMC

http://www.pama.org.pk/images/storie...tion-sales.pdf

It's good they corrected everything, including over spray and rough surface. Which polish/wax they used?

Your list will help me and other COW-Rolla owners to tighten 3S nuts bolts on next visit
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^^I'm absolutely delighted over your encouragement and well wishes. Please do regularly hang out with us in this thread and you might be able to benefit. By the way, which colour have you booked your GLi A/T in?
    I am a subscriber of this thread now ... The color is Silver of my booked car

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autophile View Post
    On a lighter note Honda made just 900 Civics, while IMC churned out nearly 5,000 cows in March. In Feb only 492 Civics were made compared to 4,685 units of Corolla. So more imperfect units are natural to IMC

http://www.pama.org.pk/images/storie...tion-sales.pdf

It's good they corrected everything, including over spray and rough surface. Which polish/wax they used?

Your list will help me and other COW-Rolla owners to tighten 3S nuts bolts on next visit

Yes, agreed and that's why I'm not lambasting them. Good thing is that they corrected everything free of cost. As for correcting over spray, they used some kind of heavy duty cutting cream in a white tube (Made in Germany). Don't remember the name but I got the same brand cutting cream which is ultra-fine (not heavy duty) Made in Germany and it is an awesome product. Make sure you stand on their heads when they are tightening the nuts and bolts. Most of them give a damn to their obligations unless their supervisor is a grim reaper or undertaker.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, agreed and that's why I'm not lambasting them. Good thing is that they corrected everything free of cost. As for correcting over spray, they used some kind of heavy duty cutting cream in a white tube (Made in Germany). Don't remember the name but I got the same brand cutting cream which is ultra-fine (not heavy duty) Made in Germany and it is an awesome product. Make sure you stand on their heads when they are tightening the nuts and bolts. Most of them give a damn to their obligations unless their supervisor is a grim reaper or undertaker.
    Thanks to detailing section on PakWheels I had already requested @dynamicallyStatic to treat paint imperfections with top notch products and expert, careful hands
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Usual Drill / Guide for Corolla Owners

Starting Off with Faag Layeeets
    Bought fog lamps with cover plates (OEM) Koito with own Toyota box packing under its part number. This specific light is being offered by Toyota IMC here in Altis Grande. Took them to Toyota Islamabad for verification of authenticity. All izz well. Purchased wiring and switch separately.

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569855Corolla &quotHornet" -1569856

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569853Corolla &quotHornet" -1569854

Alright boys. There are 3 common types of fog lamps available right now in the market.
    1. DEPO (Made in Taiwan if genuine)
    2. ESUSE (Made in Taiwan as per dealers, however, seem to be A Grade China)
    3. DLAA (Genuinely China)
    4. OEM Toyota (Koito) (Made in Thailand)

DEPO: If you want quality and are willing to spend between Rs. 6000-7000, get the DEPO. make sure they are originally packed in brown box with part number and description. Those are the 100% genuine DEPO fog lamps. They have glass lens and are sealed well. They will be having bulbs manufactured by either Philips, OSRAM. You can't go wrong with these. DEPO has OEM certification and is a reputable brand. These should weigh considerably more than any other brand even that of OEM Toyota due to glass lens.

ESUSE: Vendors will swear that these are Made in Taiwan and as good or better than DEPO. These should be Rs. 500-1000/- cheaper than DEPO. These are well built quality product relatively new in the market. Can tolerate high temperatures like DEPO and hopefully last long enough. Their wiring and cover plates are as nicely manufactured as those of DEPO or the OEM Koito. For the meagre difference in price, if you could lay your hands on the original DEPO, don't think twice else, grab these ESUSE and they will serve you well. I have them installed in my mother's 2010 Vitz. While I suspect them of being A Quality/Grade Made in China, nevertheless, dealers swear that these are Taiwanese. These are as heavy as DEPO with glass lens.

DLAA: Ahhh, the good old Daalaa. Purely made in China. These are inexpensive, cost effective (to tell you the truth: B Quality) and should cost you around Rs.2700-3000/-. Light weight kind of "Chalti Ka Naam Gari" or "Guzara" fog lamps. They may last a life time or suck big time, which ever your destiny or fate has in store for you. Sealing is not that good lens is sub par. Bulb is also of typical B-Quality. Wiring is not reliable enough. But for the money, its good value and does the job just fine. So if you have other important priorities or are on a very tight budget, grab em and offer two "nawafil" for their operation.

OEM Toyota Koito: Surprisingly they will feel as light as DLAA with better finishing and quality control and brackets as shown in the above pics. They are reliable, OEM, so you can't go wrong with these. I bought these two lamps for Rs.5000/- along with OEM Toyota face/cover plates (Made in Pakistan) which cost another Rs.600/- (set). Wiring and switch used were of ESUSE. Total cost me almost 7500/- approximately.
    Caution: The lens is high grade plastic (not glass) so you may want to keep that in mind if HIDs will be on the cards.

These are the ESUSE fog lamps that are now currently installed in my mother's Vitz.
    Corolla &quotHornet" -1569863Corolla &quotHornet" -1569864Corolla &quotHornet" -1569865Corolla &quotHornet" -1569866

Bottom Line: Either settle for DLAA and save about Rs.3500-4500/- with a risk of them getting broken or fried or most commonly the bulb dying which could be replaced easily OR Get the DEPO. If genuine DEPO is not available, get the OEM Toyota Koito ones.

Where did you source OEM Koito from?
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lovely! Me about to do the similar job to my silver lady --- I suppose to get it done today but due to busy schedule did not. Hopefully coming Saturday will place it.

Post some clear pictures of this multi-steering.

All the best, you are making to HORNET go more then it is - Great.

11th Gen Corolla (Hornet): An Unlucky Affair - 1569765d1430540166 corolla hornet untitled

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569885
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^^ These are available at Younas Autos Saddar Rawalpindi. They deal in OEM stuff for Toyota. The boss is a young fellow named Abdullah. But a word of caution: If you are not sure and may return a purchase for refund/exchange, do clear it up with him before hand.

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569886

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^^ These are available at Younas Autos Saddar Rawalpindi. They deal in OEM stuff for Toyota. The boss is a young fellow named Abdullah. But a word of caution: If you are not sure and may return a purchase for refund/exchange, do clear it up with him before hand.

Corolla &quotHornet" -1569886
    Are you gonna give some body kit and lowering to hornet?
    My advice, get a body kit, lower it and some sexy rims.
    PS. I'm still waiting for the pics!
    Tum karo to tumara HAQ!
    Hum karay to What The F F Fish?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by KamranAslam View Post
    Lovely! Me about to do the similar job to my silver lady --- I suppose to get it done today but due to busy schedule did not. Hopefully coming Saturday will place it. All the best, you are making to HORNET go more then it is - Great

Thanks Kamran bhai. Actually I want to add stuff to improve the functionality and overall driving experience. Not just for Shashka alone.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kick_in View Post
    Are you gonna give some body kit and lowering to hornet?
    My advice, get a body kit, lower it and some sexy rims.
    PS. I'm still waiting for the pics!
    Thanks bro!! Your advice is well received and noted. But patience. Really don't have my crew to rob a bank or my dad around to loan me some money. Before everything else, inshallah, lowering will come in.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks bro!! Your advice is well received and noted. But patience. Really don't have my crew to rob a bank or my dad around to loan me some money. Before everything else, inshallah, lowering will come in.
    Haha lol!
    pics? :X :X
    Tum karo to tumara HAQ!
    Hum karay to What The F F Fish?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bhai, aik dou pictures hi dikha dain, humari jaan lainge kya?
    Posted from a PC using taar kay bagher wala internet.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

User Tag List