1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 1nz fe 1.5l engine swap in se saloon auto transmission

My se saloon 2002 has done 300k and the engine requires work on it. Further the fuel avg is just 9.5km/l. I plan 2 swap it with the 1.5l 1nz fe Bilal ganj engine with auto gear as well since it has also completed its life. I think except ecu no wiring would be needed or alteration is required in engine bay. Perhaps inner axels would have 2 b changed. The selection of 1.5l 1nz fe is made due to its fuel economy as it is used in axio which gives superb mileage. Suggestions and recommendations are requested whether to go for swap or get the engine overhauled. But the problem of high fuel consumption will not go with overhauling. Thanks and stay happy and blessed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

swap is the better option obviously
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile

please locate an autotran vehicle of 2002 model record the VALUE _ assume A

Check in market the existing value of your car as it is. assume B | get an estimate for cost of re-built assume C.

Now check in market for an orphan engine with no history plus the devaluation of vehicle after regn book modification for engine number & from auto to manual.- sum up the results and make wise choice.

rebuild with maximum OEM parts and have peace of mind., the value of car will remain unchanged 2 years after rebuild - as it is today. SWAPPED ONE with modified regn book .... Value will depreciate by 15% min after 2 years of swap
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

True, value depreciates,but the dilemma of se saloon is, it has already no market specifically the auto transmission and the sole reason is high fuel consumption otherwise it is way better than gli,xli. Mine is in excellent condition with vip no.111, the interior looks like new, suspension A'1 no sound or khat khat in rough roads, Ac tyres, etc and the rest is also A-1, the only problem is high fuel consumption and weak engine. Now if I rebuild the engine with genuine parts and work at 3s dealership it may cost 150k rupees ....now the engine will obviously be new but the real issue of fuel consumption will remain there. With 1nz fe 1.5l vvti engine its fuel economy may improve to an acceptable level and if things go smooth and I m able to get even 12km/l in city with ac, I may keep the car for another 5 years. As another fellow here said in a thread he swaped same engine in his 2.od and has costed 77k with meter and gear lever for a/t. Mine will cost less as it is already a/t and probably wiring will not be needed to b changed only complete engine with gear and ecu will suffice for swap. May be complete exhaust system of axio needed which is available in bilal ganj. I m only concerned about the technical aspects of swap by a very experienced and honest and responsible mechanic.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    ChipLoco.com | Anything and everything from the tech world!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you have an se saloon with Auto transmission in an exceptional shell condition and you love it. OK thats' very understandable, so you only need an engine & mating ECU. The existing mounts will bolt-on to new engine as well as the existing auto transmission without any problem. The yard engine will come with an exhaust manifold and I believe ( 80% sure ) the existing exhaust collar will also bolt-on to it. - do you home work with extra care,

yard engines are orphans with no maintenance record and no history when & where those been removed from under what conditions.

if you are in lahore [ u referred bilal gunj ] I'd suggest a meeting with @syncview for valuable input take your car along. FEW of us TRUST Him with our lives !
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would agree with not caring about the value part of the car if the OP plans on keeping it for years to come. Rebuilds often turn out to be very good but at the same time, they often end up being horror stories, with the mechanic blaming the kharadiya, the kharadiya blaming the parts supplier, the parts supplier blaming the mechanic. And you end up getting disheartened with your car and selling it. True, the same fate can be met with swapping the engine if not done properly, but if done properly, the chances of that happening are low.

Now coming to the engine. There are two types of 1nz-fe available in the market. The earlier generation 1nz and the later generation 1nz which comes in Axio, Premio, Vitz Rs and the sort and is marked as "R1nz-fe". The R1nz is drive by wire (electronic throttle) and would require major changes in the wiring of the car as the interface used in that engine is completely different and it runs off of CAN bus. That variant of 1nzfe is mated to a CVT auto transmission and the ecu can only work with a CVT transmission and a pedal sensor would also need to be fitted. The CVT transmission alone costs in the vicinity of 75-90k and even if you buy it, you wont be able to make it work because it requires input from the ABS controller for it to work. Now, you're left with the option of installing the earlier generation 1nz-fe which should work fine with your current transmission. But since you said that the transmission has completed its life as well (if I read correctly) you may use the transmission that comes in corolla X or fielder which is the U340e I guess.
    Another way of going about it is to buy the later gen R1nz-fe and convert it to non-drive by wire. I would recommend you to do this because it would be easier to find the later gen one in good condition with low miles on it. To do so, you'll require to replace the intake manifold with the older gen one along with the cable driven throttle body. The knock sensor would also need to be replaced with the earlier gen one. This should cost you around 5-7k additional but would somewhat ensure that you'll get a healthier engine. Then its just a matter of hooking up the stock wiring and replacing the ecu with the 1nz-fe one from a fielder/corolla x. Talking about ecus, there are two kinds of ecus. One that is taken out of vitz and the likes and one that is taken out of corolla / fielder. The market is flooded with the vitz one and it would set you back about 1-1.5k, while the other one would cost about 6-7k. The difference between the two would be that the vitz one doesnt send the appropriate signal for the temperature gauge to work since there is no temperature gauge in vitz, there are only lights, so your temp gauge will not work with that ecu. You'll need to get the other one for the temp gauge to work. The kabariyas / electrician would recommend you to get the 'kit' (the temp gauge) replaced inside the gauge cluster and would install a temperature sender somewhere in the coolant stream. I would recommend you not to have that done and spend a little more on the proper ecu for peace of mind and for saving your cluster from being butchered.

Hope that helps.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

*useful information. Thanks a lot. The issue of engine swap seems to me a very troublesome job, which I never had thought earlier. On this very useful forum, I an only able to know the complications involved. The fuel issue is more concerning than the engine, which although old enough is working without any issue for the last five years with timely engine oil change every 3k kilometers. So I think I must not take any Punga with it until it necessitates any work. Instead I have decided to focus on fuel issue or change the car with a fuel efficient one. Thanks guys, good forum and good people.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why Not Go For Stick Shift????

I Will Be Def Gives You Much Better Economy With Nothing To Worry Much About Wiring Of ECT
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

have you done the compression test wet and dry ? does it really need overhaul ? maybe its just the valve seats etc...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What u mean by stick shift,,whether u refer manual transmission. Pl explain. At the moment it is giving 10km/h with ac in city and 13 on motor way. I will first change spark plugs and then its alignment camber adjustment will check. Then I will reset its ecu on a specific company fuel. If the government take mercy on us and restores cng this is an excellent car to ride.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@harismaqbool sorry for the OT post; your car's fuel consumption is uncannily similar to mine, which means it has the potential for 18 km/l+. Check my signature.

Odds are that you won't have to get any expensive work done on your car's engine, except for routine maintainence.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

18 is over ambitious 15+ on h/way and 12+ in city with ac should be acceptable. I have today done another thing ,,,,34 psi air,,,,,let see what is the outcome. Btw what type of routine maintenance u r refering. Pl explain

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

9.5 from SE saloon in city driving is actually not a very bad mileage. People here in Karachi get somewhere around 7-8kmpl.

If you are looking for a swap because of engine health, you need to weigh how much youre gonna spend and how much ur gonna save eventually...Calculating pay back period on your investment might help.

Regarding the issue of finding an engine in top notch condition is a big gamble. To get the proper mileage out of an older 1nzfe u will need a motor which can run without removing cooling system essentials like automatic fan and tstat.

If i were u with a car witha monthly drive of 1000 km, id just continue to use it with some routine maintenance for as long as possible.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by harismaqbool View Post
    18 is over ambitious 15+ on h/way and 12+ in city with ac should be acceptable. I have today done another thing ,,,,34 psi air,,,,,let see what is the outcome. Btw what type of routine maintenance u r refering. Pl explain

Indus Motor Company Scheduled Maintenance
    . I personally don't like this one, the intervals are too conservative. It is a good starting point though.

I find this one better, its much more comprehensive. Click on print all intervals to view the complete schedule for 120k miles (200k km).

18 km/l is not that difficult as it looks. The car wasn't properly setup in the hypermiling sense: 20w-50 oil, tire pressure ~32 psi, and no fuel economy instrumentation. The under tray was also partially hanging from below the car, and the sun roof seal has been broken for years; there is increased wind resistance. The drive was 1/3rd rural, and 2/3rds motorway.

With a proper setup, I think I can easily achieve 21+ km/l. Even without using any techniques, you can achieve 12 km/l in local driving with your car properly set up, i.e. 5w-30 oil, tire pressure at max sidewall (usually 44 psi), and simple fuel economy instrumentation.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by harismaqbool View Post
    What u mean by stick shift,,whether u refer manual transmission. Pl explain. At the moment it is giving 10km/h with ac in city and 13 on motor way. I will first change spark plugs and then its alignment camber adjustment will check. Then I will reset its ecu on a specific company fuel. If the government take mercy on us and restores cng this is an excellent car to ride.
    Yes Stick Shift = Manual Transmission

It Will Give You Much Better Mileage Than Auto If You Love To Drive M/T......
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go for 1.8 1zz... I opted for that... excellent pick

as far as the fuel consumption is concerned, the original engine gave 7-7.5. this is marginally better. Don't worry about resale, just keep the original engine with u and don't transfer new engine number on book. This way the future potential buyer will not have any ambiguity with respect to your original engine.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam