9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Corolla 88 Engine Swap, Need Guidance & Suggestions

I am writing this on someone's behalf, originally the car had a diesel engine but previously it was swapped with 5AFE and now the owner want to swap it with a petrol engine of newer technology. The engines in consideration are:
    1NZ-FE 1.5L of 2010 model (came in premio)
    1ZZ-FE 1.8L of 2006 model (came in premio)
    3ZZ-FE 1.6L of 2006 model (came in altis)

Can its also possible to swap with the lastest 2ZR-FE or 2ZR-FAE??

1. Want to know about pre-swap technical details and other information about engine, related parts, and its compatibility with the car?
    2. The hard part of wiring these engines.....can anyone knows who is doing best wiring of these engines (anywhere in Lahore, Pindi, Peshawar, Karachi)?
    3. And the price of these engines in Karachi, Pindi, Peshawar, Lahore?

Anyone having past experience with these engines will be very helpful.
    Thnaks....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get swapped with 1ZZ-FE 1.8L of 2006 model (came in premio) & u can do all sort of wiring/ecu compatibility done from Gulshan 13D near furniture market
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

last week I have Swaped my 1988 Corolla 2-E Engine with 4EFE-1300 cc / 16-valve engine from shoba bazar peshawar.. Its a bolt to bolt Swap noting is changed, just 2-E get out & 4efe puts in.. as i live in Abbottabad hilly area, the pick is good, fuel comsuption (till now on petrol) is also good..

If there is no change in suspension of ur car by putting 1ZZ-FE engine then go for it, other wise i dont recommend alteration.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@haroon.virk Here's a link to the pinout + wiring diagram for the 1nz/2nz. Its quite informative and a good place to start.

TOYOTA ECHO 13 L (2NZ-FE Engine) - GEOCITIESws - Search-Document.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar @SER_GTR @Owais_Yunus @capsat @syncview @rustam54 @Vaqas1 @galant1 @spectra

The day before yesterday engine was swapped with 1NZ-FE with manual gearbox in corolla 88, engine was from AXIO model 2010.
    Everything is looking fine except few things.......Engine fitting is good, pick is also very good much more than the previous generation.

But have a doubt on fuel economy......Yesterday on motorway the average is 13 km/l with AC at a speed of 160km/h. Is fuel average is good or not? If not then what will be the possible reasons........either there will be a problem with the fuel pump, engine tuning issue or some wiring issues or any sensors are missing?

Moreover how to check/crosscheck the wiring and sensors of the engine? @Owais_Yunus has given me a manual of pinout and wiring diagrams but on manual it is written that it is for 1999-2004 engines......Can this manual be used for 2010 model? If not then did anyone have pinouts, wiring/sensors manual for 1NZ-FE of 2010 model?

Thanks....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by haroon.virk View Post
    @Xulfiqar @SER_GTR @Owais_Yunus @capsat @syncview @rustam54 @Vaqas1 @galant1 @spectra

The day before yesterday engine was swapped with 1NZ-FE with manual gearbox in corolla 88, engine was from AXIO model 2010.
    Everything is looking fine except few things.......Engine fitting is good, pick is also very good much more than the previous generation.

But have a doubt on fuel economy......Yesterday on motorway the average is 13 km/l with AC at a speed of 160km/h. Is fuel average is good or not? If not then what will be the possible reasons........either there will be a problem with the fuel pump, engine tuning issue or some wiring issues or any sensors are missing?

Moreover how to check/crosscheck the wiring and sensors of the engine? @Owais_Yunus has given me a manual of pinout and wiring diagrams but on manual it is written that it is for 1999-2004 engines......Can this manual be used for 2010 model? If not then did anyone have pinouts, wiring/sensors manual for 1NZ-FE of 2010 model?

Thanks....

Drive Safe Even On Motorway.....Fuel Avg Seems Completely Fine To Me Considering O2 Sensors are Connected well

Its 2010 model Engine....Get It OBD-II Scanned

you will know it easy way....!
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks....
    Could you share some pics of the engine bay? That way, I'd be able to tell you whether the diagram that I gave you would work with yours. When the engine is swapped with a manual trans, they usually replace axio's engine side wiring and ecu with the previous gen 1nz.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    Drive Safe Even On Motorway.....Fuel Avg Seems Completely Fine To Me Considering O2 Sensors are Connected well

Its 2010 model Engine....Get It OBD-II Scanned

you will know it easy way....!
    Actually its my Mamu who was driving and he was testing the car. You mean the wiring is fine and all the sensors are also present.

Where O2 sensor is present......in the exhaust? And what means by "connected well"?
    What is OBD-II, where it is located and how its scanning is done?

@Owais_Yunus In city/local driving which engine is best in terms of fuel economy.......2NZFE or 1NZFE?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Owais_Yunus View Post
    Could you share some pics of the engine bay? That way, I'd be able to tell you whether the diagram that I gave you would work with yours. When the engine is swapped with a manual trans, they usually replace axio's engine side wiring and ecu with the previous gen 1nz.
    I will share some pics with you tomorrow. Why would they replace engine side wiring and ECU with the previous generation 1NZFE......What is the point of replacing these things?

And what would you say about fuel average.......Is the mentioned fuel average is good or not? I remember last time when you checked your average with AC and speeds of upto 150 (average about 120), it was 16 km/l.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Actually its my Mamu who was driving and he was testing the car. You mean the wiring is fine and all the sensors are also present.

Where O2 sensor is present......in the exhaust? And what means by "connected well"?
    What is OBD-II, where it is located and how its scanning is done?

@Owais_Yunus In city/local driving which engine is best in terms of fuel economy.......2NZFE or 1NZFE?

O2 In Exhaust...In Later Models Like In AXIO..There Are Pre CAT ANd Post CAT Sensors Means 2 O2 Sensors.....Make Sure They are connected and working well..OBD-2 Can Tell You After Scanning

For Scanning You Need OBD-2 Port Connected With ECU Wiring.....! You Need OBD-2 Scanner To Do The JOB....!
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I will share some pics with you tomorrow. Why would they replace engine side wiring and ECU with the previous generation 1NZFE......What is the point of replacing these things?

And what would you say about fuel average.......Is the mentioned fuel average is good or not? I remember last time when you checked your average with AC and speeds of upto 150 (average about 120), it was 16 km/l.
    13km/l is low for the motorway. But it also depends on how you accelerate and how you shift gears. The O2 sensor might not be working.

The reason that they switch the wiring/ecu to the earlier generation 1nz, is to get rid of the drive by wire system that the R1nz comes with.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

160 KMPH and 13 KMPL what else you want? around 110 120 it will do better and thats a safe speed.

Drive safe.
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    O2 In Exhaust...In Later Models Like In AXIO..There Are Pre CAT ANd Post CAT Sensors Means 2 O2 Sensors.....Make Sure They are connected and working well..OBD-2 Can Tell You After Scanning

For Scanning You Need OBD-2 Port Connected With ECU Wiring.....! You Need OBD-2 Scanner To Do The JOB....!
    Ok, will check the O2 sensors. Can the scanning be done from tuning shop?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can you post up pictures of engine hooked up in bay? in my school of thought 7AFE or 5AFE was better option for this corolla. I have seen a 7AFE in e90 and it was nice setup.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

13km/l is low for the motorway. But it also depends on how you accelerate and how you shift gears. The O2 sensor might not be working.

The reason that they switch the wiring/ecu to the earlier generation 1nz, is to get rid of the drive by wire system that the R1nz comes with.
    @SER_GTR @Vaqas1

There is a misunderstanding in calculating the fuel average. I first told that it consumed 2000 rupees of fuel from Islamabad to Faisalabad, but after asking again it was confirmed that it consumed 1800 rupees of fuel. So the fuel average is 14.5 km/l with AC at a speed of 160 km/h.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@SER_GTR @Vaqas1

There is a misunderstanding in calculating the fuel average. I first told that it consumed 2000 rupees of fuel from Islamabad to Faisalabad, but after asking again it was confirmed that it consumed 1800 rupees of fuel. So the fuel average is 14.5 km/l with AC at a speed of 160 km/h.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@SER_GTR @Vaqas1

In that case, the mileage is pretty much fine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

how much money did this swap cost?
    any engine bay pic?
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So with this average (14.5 km/l with AC at a speed of 160 km/h) tell me either the O2 sensors are working fine or not?

They also changed the throttle body with the cable type and also change the compressor. Also bought an extra throttle body and a fuel pump for this engine, will install the fuel pump in a few days.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaqas1 View Post
    160 KMPH and 13 KMPL what else you want? around 110 120 it will do better and thats a safe speed.

Drive safe.
    We were just checking the new engine that how it behaves. Throughout the entire motorway we try kept it at 160 km/h wherever possible.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    Can you post up pictures of engine hooked up in bay? in my school of thought 7AFE or 5AFE was better option for this corolla. I have seen a 7AFE in e90 and it was nice setup.
    I will post some pics......Little busy now, just give me some time.

You are also right, 7AFE or 5AFE is a good option. But 5AFE was already present in car, and it was neither in good condition nor bad, you can say it was in normal or above normal condition.

We first consider these options: 5AFE, 7AFE, 1NZFE, 2NZFE, 1ZZFE.
    2NZFE was dropped because we think it might be under power but later we come to know that we were wrong.
    We also want some fuel average as the car is a daily runner so we dropped 7AFE & 1ZZFE.

We only left with 5AFE & 1NZFE. 5AFE was already in the car and serving well. If we again put a 5AFE then first thing is that we almost get same fuel average and the second thing it is difficult to find a 5AFE in good condition as compared to Z-generation.
    So we decided that why not go for 1NZFE and get more fuel average & power than the previous generation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List