9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Corolla 88 Engine Swap, Need Guidance & Suggestions

I am writing this on someone's behalf, originally the car had a diesel engine but previously it was swapped with 5AFE and now the owner want to swap it with a petrol engine of newer technology. The engines in consideration are:
    1NZ-FE 1.5L of 2010 model (came in premio)
    1ZZ-FE 1.8L of 2006 model (came in premio)
    3ZZ-FE 1.6L of 2006 model (came in altis)

Can its also possible to swap with the lastest 2ZR-FE or 2ZR-FAE??

1. Want to know about pre-swap technical details and other information about engine, related parts, and its compatibility with the car?
    2. The hard part of wiring these engines.....can anyone knows who is doing best wiring of these engines (anywhere in Lahore, Pindi, Peshawar, Karachi)?
    3. And the price of these engines in Karachi, Pindi, Peshawar, Lahore?

Anyone having past experience with these engines will be very helpful.
    Thnaks....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by haroon.virk View Post
    I think it is a good idea to do both things..........make new headers and also heat shield them. In this way the clearance will also increase.

How a P/S oil cooler look like, can you share a picture?

What is the specific name of heat shield or its just called as "heat shield"? Easily available? Are you referring this type of heat shield?

Making New Headers Is A Good Idea Because This One Are So Close To Steering Rack...So Make New Headers And Get It 'Heat Wrapped' As You Shown In Pics And Then Get Custom Build Heat Shield ......This Will Prevent Transferring So Much Heat To Your Steering System.....!

The Picture You Posted Is Material Wrapped On Headers ...Same Purpose...They Are Called ' Heat Wraps' Usually performance SHops have it.....Heat Shield is A Metal Plate You See On Your Car Exhaust Manifold With Do Not TOUCH Mark On It......! You Need To Get It Custom Build As Per Design By Same Person Who Will Do Headers
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Like @SER_GTR said, check the rack ends, bushes, shocks and especially the alignment since this car needs alignment for both the front and the rear wheels. Steering wheel vibration at certain speeds is also caused when the wheel lack balancing. Another cause of slight vibration is worn internal cv joint housings. Incorrect angles of the axle would also cause vibration.

The exhaust manifold, as mentioned earlier is VERY close to the steering rack and the best way of going about it is to design a manifold that moves inwards, towards the block and then heat wrap it. However, heat wrap causes the manifold to rot quite quickly so it would be better if you make a heat shield instead. Dont try to heat this header and bend it inwards as it will put kinks in the pipes and cause restriction in the flow.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this is shape of OEM header for 1NZ-FE. does the engine you installed have same shape. By the pictures you posted I think yard owner gave you an engine with silencer shop pipe welded to single ported plate as part of engine -

The steel finish one is custom fabricated rusted is original removed from engine

Corolla 88 Engine Swap Need Guidance & Suggestions -1623228

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    With Fuel Return Line...I Mean That Old Line Which Usually Is located Almost On This Side Of Bay......Just Remove It As Its Still Leading To Fuel Tank If Not Removed...Consider It A Safety Precaution....! These Engines Dont Have Return Lines Like A-E Series On Fuel Rail ...
    I didn't get it..........Either remove the entire return line completely or just remove it from engine bay?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I Mean Everything In Suspension.....Open It Completely Including Steering Rack....All Bushes......Ball Joints.....Shocks.....

Springs Depend On Its Condition...Keep New OEM And Your One SIde To Side And See The Diff In Height.....

I Dont Know If Your Cluster Panel Have Indicator Light Or Not But Cars Do COme With It...So As Your Fuel Gauge.....

Regarding EFI So Fuel Pump Need Change And The New Ones With No Return Line Have Diff Baffle System ..So Your Fuel Tank Might Need Mod to Fit That ... Your Current Fuel Gauge Might Remain On Same Location So Just Change Fuel Pump And Keep This As Separate Because Newer Models Have All In One Thing....
    Ok, but my question still not cleared.......suppose springs are in bad condition and they need to be changed, and now if the new OEM springs are also the same height as previous one then what will I do because I want to lower the height of car from stock height by 0.5-1.0 inch? So in this case can I go for lowering springs?

Yes, cluster panel do have indicator light but I never seen my indicator light in action.

So only fuel pump will change, and for that purpose modification in fuel tank will be needed.......Am I right?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok, but my question still not cleared.......suppose springs are in bad condition and they need to be changed, and now if the new OEM springs are also the same height as previous one then what will I do because I want to lower the height of car from stock height by 0.5-1.0 inch? So in this case can I go for lowering springs?

Yes, cluster panel do have indicator light but I never seen my indicator light in action.

So only fuel pump will change, and for that purpose modification in fuel tank will be needed.......Am I right?
    get a sample fuel pump for test and check the fuel tank which is under rear seat of the corolla ee-90 I think the hole needs to be made wider to accommodate the complete new fuel pump

- if you are using OEM stock 13 size wheels time to swap size 14. do not lower the vehicle, with the engine you have installed the vehicle height is normal. You may need to raise the front sometime later to keep suspension comfortable.
    fuel low lamp lit up when 48 liters are consumed and 2 liters left in the tank... ee-90 have 50 liter fuel tank [ dry ]
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Making New Headers Is A Good Idea Because This One Are So Close To Steering Rack...So Make New Headers And Get It 'Heat Wrapped' As You Shown In Pics And Then Get Custom Build Heat Shield ......This Will Prevent Transferring So Much Heat To Your Steering System.....!

The Picture You Posted Is Material Wrapped On Headers ...Same Purpose...They Are Called ' Heat Wraps' Usually performance SHops have it.....Heat Shield is A Metal Plate You See On Your Car Exhaust Manifold With Do Not TOUCH Mark On It......! You Need To Get It Custom Build As Per Design By Same Person Who Will Do Headers
    It means that both headers & heat shield have to be custom build. I am thinking is it possible to find other/OEM headers which are inward and away from steering rack instead of custom building them? Because in my mind its like that custom build headers will not work as good as OEM/other already build headers.........its just my thought.

For making custom heat shield what type of metal/sheet is used........means from which material heat shield is made of, its simple metal or some specific type of metal?

Heat wrap will rot the exhaust manifold quickly as @Owais_Yunus mentioned, what do you think.......either I use it or not?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    this is shape of OEM header for 1NZ-FE. does the engine you installed have same shape. By the pictures you posted I think yard owner gave you an engine with silencer shop pipe welded to single ported plate as part of engine -

The steel finish one is custom fabricated rusted is original removed from engine

Corolla 88 Engine Swap Need Guidance & Suggestions -1623228
    What does this mean "gave an engine with silencer shop pipe welded to single ported plate as part of engine".....?

I am not completely sure either its the same shape or not, but I think the installed one is different from OEM header which your shared in the picture. Have a look.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

please do not be offended. now it is clear that the seller have not given you engine with OEM header.

He must've sold the OEM header which has smaller bends as shared above, and hooked up a unit fabricated by tree-shed silencer shop, it has larger & wider angle of curve and low quality thin gauge scrap tubes.
    @SER_GTR thats what i mean by yard cheaters
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get a sample fuel pump for test and check the fuel tank which is under rear seat of the corolla ee-90 I think the hole needs to be made wider to accommodate the complete new fuel pump

- if you are using OEM stock 13 size wheels time to swap size 14. do not lower the vehicle, with the engine you have installed the vehicle height is normal. You may need to raise the front sometime later to keep suspension comfortable.
    fuel low lamp lit up when 48 liters are consumed and 2 liters left in the tank... ee-90 have 50 liter fuel tank [ dry ]
    Yes, using OEM 13 size wheels......Can I ask why 14 size? Why not lower the vehicle........any disadvantage? Main purpose of lowering the vehicle is to get more road grip. I am talking about ee90 in which swap has to be done in the next week, currently it have 2E engine, and after swap it have 1NZ-FE.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In Karachi these wraps are also available on Marriot rd and Frere Rd.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

please do not be offended. now it is clear that the seller have not given you engine with OEM header.

He must've sold the OEM header which has smaller bends as shared above, and hooked up a unit fabricated by tree-shed silencer shop, it has larger & wider angle of curve and low quality thin gauge scrap tubes.
    I am not offended, just learning from you guys.

You are right, he must have given us the OEM header. It looks like the OEM header is also short than the installed one. Now it is clear that its not an OEM header. So if we install an OEM header of 1NZ-FE engine, can the clearance be increased between headers & steering rack and the issue will resolve to some extant? Later will also add heat wrap & custom heat shield.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am not offended, just learning from you guys.

You are right, he must have given us the OEM header. It looks like the OEM header is also short than the installed one. Now it is clear that its not an OEM header. So if we install an OEM header of 1NZ-FE engine, can the clearance be increased between headers & steering rack and the issue will resolve to some extant? Later will also add heat wrap & custom heat shield.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla 88 Engine Swap Need Guidance & Suggestions -1623261

with size 13 wheels this car had 1.3 carb engine only - 1.5 & above TTC engine in this car by default had size 14 wheels.

Size 14 will stabilize your car with the type of power EFI engine will produce. -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    In Karachi these wraps are also available on Marriot rd and Frere Rd.
    The swap was done from pindi, so any shop in isl/pindi where these heat wraps are available?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the metal heat shield you see is a fiberglass infused metal sandwich in more expensive cars. In japanese cars its just simply sheet metal that allows a small air gap between the exhaust and the heatshield.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The swap was done from pindi, so any shop in isl/pindi where these heat wraps are available?

any industrial spare parts market in pindi?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here are some more pics of the engine bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Owais_Yunus View Post
    Like @SER_GTR said, check the rack ends, bushes, shocks and especially the alignment since this car needs alignment for both the front and the rear wheels. Steering wheel vibration at certain speeds is also caused when the wheel lack balancing. Another cause of slight vibration is worn internal cv joint housings. Incorrect angles of the axle would also cause vibration.

The exhaust manifold, as mentioned earlier is VERY close to the steering rack and the best way of going about it is to design a manifold that moves inwards, towards the block and then heat wrap it. However, heat wrap causes the manifold to rot quite quickly so it would be better if you make a heat shield instead. Dont try to heat this header and bend it inwards as it will put kinks in the pipes and cause restriction in the flow.
    Will heat shield alone provide enough protection from exhaust heat than that of heat wrap?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

exhaust manifold design is CAR specific, 1NZ_FE engine is in Corolla, Corolla Axio, Fielder & Yaris - Vitz. Now you need to do some home work measure the 3 lengths

- a. length between collar & bend of manifold,
    - b. distance between the firewall & collar
    - c. width between firewall & manifold bolts. - [ jahan manifold nai tight hona hai gaskit ki sath ]- note down by making a figure on paper.

Go back to engine dealer without accusing of anything ask him to show you all available 1NZ-FE & 2NZ-FE engines check the exhaust manifolds measure the items mentioned, which ever has smaller bends & short collar to bend lenth, ask him to remove & give to you for experiment.

or least take the pictures from 3 different angles of items at yard & share so that swap expert can guide you to make right selection of manifold to avoid disaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

User Tag List