87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default My take on the 11th gen Corolla

Our new Gli MT finally arrived after a wait of more than 4 months and lots of arguing with dealership but finally it's here. This thread format will be different form others in the fact that here I will give my impressions of the car in light of having a 9th gen Altis, a 10th gen Altis and 10th gen gli and now this all together in the same household and seeing how far IMC has progressed. Having owed each generation of Corolla since 80s and three generations of Honda Civic as well ill try to make the review interesting with lots of healthy comparisons on usefull factual points. Plus some cheeky comparisons here and there with the Mercedes may not hurt either.

So stay tuned I'll be updating with pics and also be discussing add ons in this thread. The car purpose is to be used as a daily driver so I am not the sole person responsible for it so I'll be reviewing it from a objective standpoint in this thread rather than merely describing it as the owner.

page 1....... delivery and initial impressions

review pending.

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using PW Forums

If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dms664 View Post
    Why nitrogen in tires?

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk
    it has various advantages of normal air and is used by formula 1 teams and in nissan gtr, i have it in 3 other cars as well, best thing is that it doesnt loose air pressure over time nor is affected by temp so is safer on motorway and being pure and having no moisture better life for tyre and rim plus it promises some sort of performance gains but i haven't felt any. its a new thing and can be especially usefull in certain applications like spare wheel.

i have detailed description of pros and cons of nitrogen in my other thread along with pics

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mem...-altis-ellen-8

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

recently took it on motorway, the drive made me feel better about the car, its so much more comfortable and roomier than previous models and ride quality is good too. performance was just okay it can cruise at 140km/h comfortably but its very noisy and acceleration say out of a service station merging on motorway is extremely poor you basically have to go full throttle and 4500rpm to get up to 120 before you are yawning. also on kallar kahar lots of shifting involved anything below 2500rpm and the car would refuse to climb at a reasonable speed.

this was backed up OBD readouts, at 120 engine load was 72%, in my 2006 altis its 45% at same speed. at kallar mahar engine load for the most part was 99% whereas in altis its 70%.

while climbing coolant temp went from 85C to 91C in altis it went from 83C to 85C almost the same ambient temp so no doubt 1.3 has a hard time.

but despite that its very enjoyable. economy wasnt stunning it was 15.5km/l and i wasnt gentle on it both of my altis get the same or better than this not worse.

rest of the car was very enjoyable, the nav was easy to use and big screen look nice with OBD readouts on screen, and i had fun recording the journey cathing many bad manoeuvres by bus drivers on motorway

My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1619923My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1619925

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I feel it be a bit more noisy then the older model, how did the suction mount get attached there it never seemed to work for me haha.
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    ...at 120 engine load was 72%, in my 2006 altis its 45% at same speed. at kallar mahar engine load for the most part was 99% whereas in altis its 70%...
    What were the RPM readings in your Altis and Gli at 120 km/h?
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

recently took it on motorway, the drive made me feel better about the car, its so much more comfortable and roomier than previous models and ride quality is good too. performance was just okay it can cruise at 140km/h comfortably but its very noisy and acceleration say out of a service station merging on motorway is extremely poor you basically have to go full throttle and 4500rpm to get up to 120 before you are yawning. also on kallar kahar lots of shifting involved anything below 2500rpm and the car would refuse to climb at a reasonable speed.

this was backed up OBD readouts, at 120 engine load was 72%, in my 2006 altis its 45% at same speed. at kallar mahar engine load for the most part was 99% whereas in altis its 70%.

while climbing coolant temp went from 85C to 91C in altis it went from 83C to 85C almost the same ambient temp so no doubt 1.3 has a hard time.

but despite that its very enjoyable. economy wasnt stunning it was 15.5km/l and i wasnt gentle on it both of my altis get the same or better than this not worse.

rest of the car was very enjoyable, the nav was easy to use and big screen look nice with OBD readouts on screen, and i had fun recording the journey cathing many bad manoeuvres by bus drivers on motorway

My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1619923My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1619925
    very useful info .. do you have some/any screen shots of OBD readings ? ..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nitorgen is being filled by toyota walton lahore, 1000rs charge. some toyota dealerships are offering pirellis and this was confirmed by some other post at the forum i read as well and they are not complimentary nor do they come pre fitted they charge you over the euros if you return them but thats at the time of delivery. they wont take the euros back they will just sell you new pirellis and price is comparable to market i think it was 8500rs per tyre if i recall, so these are more expensive than euros and dealership is not earning anything back, you can find these tyres in market as well.

now they were complimentary for us as if you read the posts above there were serious issues in our car and they took too much time to fix them under warranty so as a gracious move the manager installed these in our car free of cost.

btw this scheme isn't anything new last year toyota dealership was offering the same with Michelin energy savers.

and i can assure you this series of pirelli is their highest in this size, these cost more than euros no matter where you buy them and have excellent international reviews as well.
    1000 Rupees for nitrogen filling?? brother don't waste your money,it does not make any huge difference in performance.Normal air we filled contains 70-78% nitrogen
    Veni, Vedi, Vici

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    I feel it be a bit more noisy then the older model, how did the suction mount get attached there it never seemed to work for me haha.
    The mount is form Sony and pretty expensive but stays out and very easy to attach

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoys View Post
    very useful info .. do you have some/any screen shots of OBD readings ? ..
    No unfortunately as I was driving
    But I can get you screenshots of engine load and throttle at idle and to maintain at 20 km/h between both cars
    There's a surprising amount of difference event at idle with the new gli being 50% engine load with AC and Altis 2006 being 36% with AC but I'll post screenshots this time

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by surrosh View Post
    1000 Rupees for nitrogen filling?? brother don't waste your money,it does not make any huge difference in performance.Normal air we filled contains 70-78% nitrogen
    True doesn't make monetary sense and simply isn't worth it
    It's just a personal satisfaction thing
    Have it in majority of my cars but I won't really recommend it to anybody unless a die hard enthusiast

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    What were the RPM readings in your Altis and Gli at 120 km/h?
    I don't have screenshots to verify but gli manual was 3700rpm at 120 and 4000rpm at 130

Altis 2006 auto was 2700rpm at 120 and 2900 at 130
    Altis 2010 cruiser omit is 100 rpm more than 2006 at same speeds different ratios tyre sizes might also matter

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Btw forgot to add it's 1000 RS for first fill subsequent filled are 200rs if i remember correctly and you wor hardy need more than 3 in a year so not bad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

recently had installed a front camera super easy to do and pirreli Cinturato Verde tyres 195/65 complimentary by 3S,they are now offering these tyres at various dealerships. review on them i will give after a motorway drive soon.
    Hi can you share more experience with these tyres Em planning to change my euros with that

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by candid.stunt View Post
    Hi can you share more experience with these tyres Em planning to change my euros with that
    well its the usual, good ride quality, very good and confidence inspiring on motorway and also quiet. definitely better than euros in each respect.I have driven these on all kind of roads for 2000km now including motorway, normal roads and also offroad on dirt and stone track and the tyres never complained they seemed as good for our roads as euros. now there are two downslides which do spoil it a bit for me.
    1. the grip if you are a spirited driver is not the best, yoko advans are better in this department, you can feel them on the edge and not as composed such as in a situation if you make a uturn at speed. they also dont have as good a steering feel as some other tyres due to the tread pattern not being anything extraordinary. but defiantly two step ahead of euros even in this department

2. they are supposed to be eco tyres not performance or sport touring tyres and i never liked eco tyres. on a hot day on a worn road surface if you brake hard or corner at speed you can hear tyres squealing even though they are not loosing grip but composed and neither is the ABS even kicking in at this point but that squeal is annoying. i have Michillen energy savers on another car and they have the exact same issue. so does dunlop ecos etc.

so i would say in all the tyre si have driven continental cc5 is the best performance and quietest and best tyre while ill tie the pirelli and the yoko. yoko being better for a spirited drive but pirellis being quieter actually despite yoko advan db name and also being more comfortable.

whatever you get out of these three you cant go wrong with either and just make sure you get the freshest tyre with matchign maufacuring dates all round and its not smuggled. its worth to pay extra than market if you can have a guarantee that tyres are properly imported from a authorised importer. pirreli C1 cinturato verde is a excellent tyre overall but for me continental cc5 edges past.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the wonderful review brother one more thing do you there place where I can find this continental cc5 in karachi I wouldn't mind paying extra but as you mentioned its worth having proper custom cleared tyres

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by candid.stunt View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful review brother one more thing do you there place where I can find this continental cc5 in karachi I wouldn't mind paying extra but as you mentioned its worth having proper custom cleared tyres
    I am based in Lahore so can't say much on Karachi but highway trading company is a official distributor mentioned on website and they are based on Khalid bin Waleed road I am sure they'll have a website with contact number online

And I know as a fact that city tyre and rubber company in Karachi only deal with properly imported tyres and don't keep smuggled tyres
    I think they will also have a contact number or maybe a Facebook page

A Karachi member can maybe support this info better than me

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Once again thanks Bro

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can u tell about the places in lahore where i can get non smuggled and fresh continental cc5? i have them in my civic and i must agree they are wonderful tires. although i do feel that the grip could've been better as the abs kicks in when i hit the brakes hard even on dry roads.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zulayed View Post
    can u tell about the places in lahore where i can get non smuggled and fresh continental cc5? i have them in my civic and i must agree they are wonderful tires. although i do feel that the grip could've been better as the abs kicks in when i hit the brakes hard even on dry roads.
    I personally buy from tyre club Dha last time I checked with the importer in Karachi tyre club had authorised distribution for Lahore.
    There is also some really old shop in neela Gumabd I am forgetting the name they also keep imported tyres

If you are facing any issue while braking make sure tyre pressures are 30 psi all round and get alignment done if not in long time. Bad alignment geometry can effect the way tyre surface contacts the road.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

first free service time came, i didn't have it done at 1000km more like 2500km but toyota didn't mind they said that some people have the first oil change done at 5000km it does not make a difference as all the run in new car require is within the first 70km or even sooner and is already done at the factory.

i told them to use 5W-50 taglon, though many people on the forum recommend petrol plus and i have used it before in a 10th gen gli twice but i dont find it acceptable for this new car as its a mineral oil, and its api SM which is old now i think even the new owner manual says to use API SN but i didn't double check. 5W-50 wont provide the best fuel eco though having tried all other oil of toyota i wanted to experience this and if i dont find it good next time it'll be foregoing toyota oils and be on mobil 1 0W-40.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and look what i found! the oil filter from the factory is made china but the toyota 3s provided filter is made in thailand
    why is this?? i asked them but they didn't have a clue, at best said that its for running in purposes they use a lower quality filter from china as its replaced soon and thailand one is better but i dont buy the story.

i could not tell at sight if it was in fact lower quality

My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1623657
    My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1623656

this is the chinease oil filter that came out of the car

My take on the 11th gen Corolla -1623658

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

User Tag List