Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Safety in 2015 Corolla

Hi all,
    I've been delaying my decision to get the 1.6 Corolla based on some reports that these local cars are not crash tested and don't have proper crumple zones. Some even suggested that the seat belts aren't as secure as they should be as there isn't proper QC in cars assembled here. Does the car atleast come installed with Air bags?
    Is it safer to get a Civic instead? or should i look at Japanese imports?

Is there any truth to these rumours? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if safety is your primary concern. you should go for a JDM or a german car, perhaps a 5-6 year old audi if thats in your budget. hondas are well suited for carpet roads and don't fare as well as corollas on bumpy roads if you go ahead and buy a new civic, keep in mind that next year August Honda will launch 1.5 lt. turbo charged new civic in Pakistan which I believe has airbags as well as the current civic

when buying a JDM please keep the following things in mind.

1. getting a 4.5 or 5 grade JDM which is not accidented or doesn't have parts replaced will cost a large sum of money - you can buy if not an equally a 90% good zero meter local car in that money. For example, a 5 grade prius will cost you around 2.3 million if you're lucky

2. JDMs don't have any "fixed" rates. they are auctioned cars. sometimes a dealer might be able to get a good prius in 2 million rupees, sometimes even in 1.8 million rupees but they will hesitate in showing you the actual auction sheet and sell you the car for 2.2-2.3 million

3. accidented JDMs are not a bad deal at all contrary to the popular opinion. lets say a car grazed her fender while parking. and fender was painted. otherwise car is perfect. its price will be at least 2-3 lac less than a clean 4 or 5 grade car. most dealers even "good ones" import R grade cars because margin is more in them

4. all in all, if PKR 2 million doesn't mean a lot of money to you, get a prius. or a honda Vezel if you have 3.3 million and so forth

5. if 2 million is a lot of money for you, trust me you do not want to lose your sleep over the fact that you gave away 2 million for a used car with 60-80kms on the Odo

6. this is pakistan. automobile industry is not regulated at all. local corollas and hondas are nowhere near german or jdm cars in quality

7. even the 2.5 million corolla altis grande doesn't come with an immobiliser

perhaps someone who works at honda or toyota or someone who has inside information might be able to tell you exactly if these cars are crash tested or not. I think they are "hardly" crash tested. local assemblers just rely on foreign design schematics and hope the same crash testing would work locally.

perhaps you can save one million and buy a small JDM car like mira, boon, passo etc
    I was with a friend in his passo the other day. i was surprised how much leg room it had on the rear
    perfect car for small family

i hope my effort helps you in taking a decision that gives you peace of mind
    stay blessed, and drive safe!
    There are FOUR things that are essential for happiness: a righteous wife, a spacious home, a good neighbour and a *Sound Means of Transportation* --- Hadith of rasul Allaah s.a.w

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by darth.qwexar View Post
    if safety is your primary concern. you should go for a JDM or a german car, perhaps a 5-6 year old audi if thats in your budget. hondas are well suited for carpet roads and don't fare as well as corollas on bumpy roads if you go ahead and buy a new civic, keep in mind that next year August Honda will launch 1.5 lt. turbo charged new civic in Pakistan which I believe has airbags as well as the current civic

when buying a JDM please keep the following things in mind.

1. getting a 4.5 or 5 grade JDM which is not accidented or doesn't have parts replaced will cost a large sum of money - you can buy if not an equally a 90% good zero meter local car in that money. For example, a 5 grade prius will cost you around 2.3 million if you're lucky

2. JDMs don't have any "fixed" rates. they are auctioned cars. sometimes a dealer might be able to get a good prius in 2 million rupees, sometimes even in 1.8 million rupees but they will hesitate in showing you the actual auction sheet and sell you the car for 2.2-2.3 million

3. accidented JDMs are not a bad deal at all contrary to the popular opinion. lets say a car grazed her fender while parking. and fender was painted. otherwise car is perfect. its price will be at least 2-3 lac less than a clean 4 or 5 grade car. most dealers even "good ones" import R grade cars because margin is more in them

4. all in all, if PKR 2 million doesn't mean a lot of money to you, get a prius. or a honda Vezel if you have 3.3 million and so forth

5. if 2 million is a lot of money for you, trust me you do not want to lose your sleep over the fact that you gave away 2 million for a used car with 60-80kms on the Odo

6. this is pakistan. automobile industry is not regulated at all. local corollas and hondas are nowhere near german or jdm cars in quality

7. even the 2.5 million corolla altis grande doesn't come with an immobiliser

perhaps someone who works at honda or toyota or someone who has inside information might be able to tell you exactly if these cars are crash tested or not. I think they are "hardly" crash tested. local assemblers just rely on foreign design schematics and hope the same crash testing would work locally.

perhaps you can save one million and buy a small JDM car like mira, boon, passo etc
    I was with a friend in his passo the other day. i was surprised how much leg room it had on the rear
    perfect car for small family

i hope my effort helps you in taking a decision that gives you peace of mind
    stay blessed, and drive safe!
    Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. Appreciate it.
    My only concern for buying a JDM is the fear of getting something that needs constant maintenence. I've heard horror stories about people being stuck with issues with the Electronics/Batteries etc and spending too much time getting cars fixed.

I'm quite the novice when it comes to automobiles so its hard to trust someone when you go to the market and i personally can't understand this auction sheet business. It seems like it would be easy to fake:/

The vezel looks nice though. I'll check it out

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List