0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota altis brand new or camry 2007

Hi there, iam caught in a situation where i have to decide between jdm and local made cars. This purshase solely will be for family as recently our toyota SE limited edition has given up. We wont bother for resale as we aim to keep the car for long term atleast say 3 to 5 years. I fairly like brand new altis,which can serve us for a long term and we will be saved from past history or maintainenes issues in case of new car. But the point which annoys me is i heard altis is unstable above 110kmp. Iam unsure whether its related with tyres or suspension but This fact is mentioned in pakwheels official video review and many other reviews confirm the specific problem as well.
    If i go for jdm used car then why wasting 2 plus million on a such a car? Is it worth to buy a 2007 premio or camry or even mercedez c class?. Doesnot matter how good the manufacturer is , but still it is 8 years old and hence cannot be comparable with brand new car. Am i right? Say after couple years 2007 models will be considered outdated and henxe the technilogy too. By no mean iam comparing among brands so please dont be offended. Iam not looking for honda as i already have it and the new purchase will be used in rural areas and honda suspension is not that ideal in this case. Test driving all desired cars will make my provlem solved to the certain extend i agree but my point of concern is what i stated above.
    So lets make it straight, should i go for camry 2007, mercedez bens c class 2007 or altis 2015?
    Thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    These are as reliable as they come. You may probably find vehicles in great nick. Since people usually don't use them and have them as a show piece. Currently there is a 2005 pajero in isb with 61k on the odo, good as new. Best vehicle for 6 people is the pajero
    Yeah, even avanza comes as 6 seater and dihtaubterros as 7 seater but i dnt like either of them

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umarsaryar View Post
    No problem bro...regarding mercedes....I guess the C class that comes in this budget is W203 (2001-2007).....I owned one in Australia, it was a 2003 (pre-facelift) C200....according to the reviews I read, people suggested to prefer facelifted as compared to pre-facelift model as the pre-facelifted model had some mechanical issues as it was a new model..those issues were resolved with the facelifted model.....the one I bought had 97K kms and all Mercedes maintained, bought it for 9500$, facelifted were around 15K$....so my budget was enough for a pre-facelifted model otherwise I would have gone for a facelifted model.....I changed my cars fairly regularly so I only kept it for a month...the drive was great, but then again the car is a bit cramped for space at the rear....have not had any experiance of owning one in Pakistan so cant help you out there as I guess it is a tyring process searching for a well maintained car within budget... @arzaam.bhatti would be able to help you out here as he owns a very clean W203 and has an extensive thread in this forum regarding it..........from experiance I can tell you, check all the receipts for the work, dates when it is done, log book if maintained, independent inspection from someone who knows about Mercedes(u will find a lot of "so called" Mercedes experts here but talking about a real expert)....have a thorough read as to when major maintenance's are required and how much would they cost....what kind of major maintenance's are required in the foreseeable future......any body damage can be checked by someone.....and if you plan to buy a C class.....keep in mind you might have to spend a couple of hundred thousand on the car within a few months of ownership
    Thanks for the detailed comment. I will prefer 2007 if i have to buy c class. I assume 2007 is facelift model right? And why would i have to spend couple of hund thousands after purshase?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    when you mention it will be used in meeting rural areas that automatically cuts everything else out in your list except premio and altis. Camry has appalling ground clearance and Mercedes though technically a way better car has a even more complicated suspension than civic with chances that it may not have been maintained so not suited for rural areas either and it has lower ground clearance than civic. so now between premio and altis, i fidnthe premio dull, new altis is big enough plus its new so that should be it as far specifically suited to your needs especially rural areas.
    Since one of the member mentioned that you own c class so how do you maintain it? Perhaps i should make myseld clear by saying how often you visit garages and are parts easy to find? How is the legs space in rear seats? You mentioned that it has complicated suspensuion than honda. Can you elaborate this point please? And the last , how low the ground clearance is? Would i hit the speed breaker while sitting 5 person on it? Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saqib198443 View Post
    Yeah, even avanza comes as 6 seater and dihtaubterros as 7 seater but i dnt like either of them
    The vehicles that you are looking at are 4 person seaters and you plan to load 6 in them. No suspension can bare that except corolla

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the detailed comment. I will prefer 2007 if i have to buy c class. I assume 2007 is facelift model right? And why would i have to spend couple of hund thousands after purshase?
    2007 is the last year of the facelifted 203's....also 204 started this year too...facelifted started somewhere in 2004 I guess but am not sure.....I said u might have to, but u wont have to if u buy a very very clean and well maintained car
    we ride together......we die together.......BAD BOYS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Since one of the member mentioned that you own c class so how do you maintain it? Perhaps i should make myseld clear by saying how often you visit garages and are parts easy to find? How is the legs space in rear seats? You mentioned that it has complicated suspensuion than honda. Can you elaborate this point please? And the last , how low the ground clearance is? Would i hit the speed breaker while sitting 5 person on it? Thanks
    When you buy the car since its a old car and chances are people dont maintain it well you will have to visit workshops initially to get everything sorted, stuff like suspension components, fluids and any other issues. after you have sorted it then its very very reliable. i in my one year of ownership have not once gone to any workshop because any part broke or malfunctioned. only to fix parts to brand new specification. if you get a good one that initial period and cost will be reduced but you should still keep in mind 2-4 lac budget to restore it perfect factory spec given the condition of cars on the market.

now once its restored it will be way more reliable than any japanese or local car. take for example oil change intervals in local cars you have to change oil after every 5k in this you have to change very 8k or if you use Original MB or fleece filters then after 15k km.sparkplug intervals are 50k km plus, there is no concept of tuning or throttle body cleaning. stuff like engine mounts are about same cost as corolla. brake pads too are similar cost to brand new parts of corolla though some components can be expensive as well.

as far as parts availability goes every single nut and bolt and washer along with large items like bonnnet, differentials or engine components can be bought Brand new right from factory through shahnawaz instead of kaabli or junkyard parts in case of japanese cars. used parts option is also available though i wont recommend it and some simple parts can also be imported form dubai using INH etc though they are not a substitute for original parts form shahnawaz. so no issue at all for parts. but shahanwaz doesnt mean you have a blind eye, you must take personal interest in the repair and not just leave the car alone with them to sort out as they can too mess it up sometimes. they are also reluctant to entertain grey import cars who already have major faults before to keep this in mind. only 6 w203s in lahore are currently being maintained by them including mine no one else goes to them, they mostly handle newer cars majority are w212 e class and s400 hybrids and some w204s and one odd 4x4s and sports cars of mercedes.

leg space in the rear is good compared to 10th corolla but less than 11th gen corolla. also only two people can sit comfortable in back for long journeys as there is a very big hump in the centre for the driveshaft which makes sitting in cetre awkward. although the centre passenger does have a proper headrest and three point seat belt instead of just a lap belt. for the two passgners its much more comfortable than corolla as seats are designed better and more supportive they are also laid back and have independent AC blower control as well as AC vents in the feet and sperate lightning controls, better designed armrests, door opens way wider so easy to get in out though its quite low so not good if you have back ache for example to get in out of car. i have picutres in my thread regarding rear seat space you can judge for your self. but for three passengers 11th corolla is bigger and does have more legroom though it may not be as comfortable. trunk space of w203 is way bigger than corolla and rear seats can be folded completely flat so you can carry very large items. rear passengers also have their own curtain airbags.

what i meant regarding the suspension was its more expensive to fix and more delicate in the sense that it has fully independent suspension all round like honda and compared to corolla which has two control arms made of heavy solid metal this has 4 control arms made up of lightweight alumimium and with lower profile tyres the ball joints and bushings wear out more easily especially since few people would have replaced them on time. the cost of both upper and lower control arm of only one side is 42k, front shocks are 70k, zlinks 10k etc so if these things have not been serviced it will be expensive, one you have replaced them the car will drive so well youll forget everything else and you can expcect at least 70-80k km of good life from them in our conditions provided they are replaced properly for example tightening the bushes with the vehicle on the ground and wheels loaded not in the air. so compared to corolla the suspension is definitely going wear sooner especially on rural roads with chances that it has already worn so will have to factor in this cost.

regarding the ground clearance its lower than civic, mine doesnt have large wheels and is on 60 profile tyres so its a bit lower than usual with 4 people i have tried it can hit speakbreakers in lahore 30-35% of the time. but if you go across never had a issue. i never found the ground clearance in the city a hinderance.

btw all these points i have better illustrated in my thread, try to read it many of your questions will be answered i think, feel free to ask for anything else.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

regarding facelift and pre facelift go for the one thats in your bidget and its in the best condition, if a prefacelift is in better condition than it would be a better bet than facelfit. also the facelift komporessor engines in the c180 and c200 (m271 engine) do face a lot of issues and MB issued recalls for them inlcuding timing chain wearing and breaking issues, Cam magnets leaking and oil going in the wiring loom ruining the o2 sensors and other electrical compeonts if not caught in time though the m271 is smoother than the older enignes and has better fuel ecnomony. the older engine m111 such as in mine was widely regarded as a bullet proof MB motor and its simpler to maintain and has less issues and the cost of sensors are cheaper too though its 2.0 litre not 1.8 like m271 and not as smooth and can have higher tax bracket. v6 variants are slo avilable like c240 if they tickle your fancy

the prefacelift had issues other than drivetrain like delicate rear SAMs and bad range on keys but nothing major changed in the facelift, technology and gadgets remained the same. infact most prefacelifts have climate control with lcd screen and charcoal filter and some more functions where as most facelifts have simple climate control without a screen, so just go for one in the best condition doesnt matter which year it is though the early ones were mechanically easier to maintain and stronger.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Btw I have a 11th Gen Corolla plus a 10th Gen and the Mercedes at same time and rear seat legroom isn't really bad as people make out
    If you want later I can sit in the driver seat and then behind it and take pictures in both cars and you can judge for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    Btw I have a 11th Gen Corolla plus a 10th Gen and the Mercedes at same time and rear seat legroom isn't really bad as people make out
    If you want later I can sit in the driver seat and then behind it and take pictures in both cars and you can judge for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Thanks alot for sharing such a valuable information that has made my mind very clear now. I have decided to skip C class now as according to your provided information it misfits us. In my city, roads resembles with hills, so i believe it will be worthless to keep. Thanks again, and enjoy your rides . best of wishes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks alot for sharing such a valuable information that has made my mind very clear now. I have decided to skip C class now as according to your provided information it misfits us. In my city, roads resembles with hills, so i believe it will be worthless to keep. Thanks again, and enjoy your rides . best of wishes.
    yes i agree according to your requirements Mercedes is not appropriate, maybe a corolla will be better you cant go wrong with that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List