17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cleaning Iridium Spark Plugs

So they keep saying how Iridium Plugs don't need cleaning which is complete b***sh**? Because they get fouled and dirty. The local dhaaba wala mechanics love cleaning it with the rotating wire brush which I think is damaging for the plugs. So, what I wish to know is how to clean them. I looked around for 'spray' solution in the market and found UNIVERSAL DEGREASER by PERFECTS (http://panda-bg.com/datasheet/2318-471922-DEGREASER-CLEANER.pdf) that claims it can be used for cleaning spark plugs. So can I use the same alone or perhaps get a soft toothbrush in the mix too?

@VCheng @Xulfiqar @StrikerX

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mashriqain View Post
    So they keep saying how Iridium Plugs don't need cleaning which is complete b***sh**? Because they get fouled and dirty. The local dhaaba wala mechanics love cleaning it with the rotating wire brush which I think is damaging for the plugs. So, what I wish to know is how to clean them. I looked around for 'spray' solution in the market and found UNIVERSAL DEGREASER by PERFECTS (http://panda-bg.com/datasheet/2318-4...ER-CLEANER.pdf) that claims it can be used for cleaning spark plugs. So can I use the same alone or perhaps get a soft toothbrush in the mix too?

@VCheng @Xulfiqar @StrikerX
    Might I suggest a small ultrasonic cleaner?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have yet to see a fouled iridium spark plug - and I have seen them on engines with more than 300,000 kms on them too. The entire concept of these plugs were that they wont require servicing for an incredibly long period (this is good for the owner as it translates to lower running cost). OR the plugs were placed in an awful location.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I was reading somewhere that Subaru move iridium plugs as opening spark plug on j25 is pain iridium plug don't foul or wear for very long intervals

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    I was reading somewhere that Subaru move iridium plugs as opening spark plug on j25 is pain iridium plug don't foul or wear for very long intervals
    yes - replacing plugs on a DOHC subaru boxer engine is like having a root canal with no anesthesia
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    Might I suggest a small ultrasonic cleaner?
    Yes, I have been looking for one actually but is it safe for the internal workings of the plug? or I just dip the tip in it? and here is one I was looking at on a Pakistani shop. Would it be okay? I also need to clean my fuel injectors with this if I end up getting it:

CT-400 Ultrasonic Cleaner.

I have not yet looked for it in the local market. I suppose it would be available somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I have yet to see a fouled iridium spark plug - and I have seen them on engines with more than 300,000 kms on them too. The entire concept of these plugs were that they wont require servicing for an incredibly long period (this is good for the owner as it translates to lower running cost). OR the plugs were placed in an awful location.
    Please look at the following photos of the old plugs that I removed from car. Are they fouled or there is another term for whatever gunk that is? If it means that the tips would be not fouled, then they don't seem to be but they were in a state like smashed up head of a nail, shattered.

Cleaning Iridium Spark Plugs -1670541

Cleaning Iridium Spark Plugs -1670542

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, I have been looking for one actually but is it safe for the internal workings of the plug? or I just dip the tip in it? and here is one I was looking at on a Pakistani shop. Would it be okay? I also need to clean my fuel injectors with this if I end up getting it:

I have not yet looked for it in the local market. I suppose it would be available somewhere.

I would just clean the tip and the electrodes. Any good unit will work well.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When I clean the plugs not the iridium ones. I used fuel injector cleaner or carby cleaner and clean with the brush and then dry with the air pressure. Then i clean the holes with same cleaner if they looks dirty.
    you can also use dry compound to clean more before drying them with air.
    I feel that's the good way

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I got ik20 for 2nzfe instead of ik16
    I consulted sir xulfiqar n he said that I can run them for life time.
    Installed them when odo was 7k now the car has clocked the 60k still no cleaning what so ever n car pick is perfect ma sha Allah

Sir @Xulfiqar should i change them or keep them running?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please look at the following photos of the old plugs that I removed from car. Are they fouled or there is another term for whatever gunk that is? If it means that the tips would be not fouled, then they don't seem to be but they were in a state like smashed up head of a nail, shattered.

Cleaning Iridium Spark Plugs -1670541

Cleaning Iridium Spark Plugs -1670542
    I dont see any whiskers on the electrodes - were these plugs misfiring?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I dont see any whiskers on the electrodes - were these plugs misfiring?
    Whiskers? The tips were shattered and TBH, not sure how misfiring is detected. The engine has become noisy again. Not sure how to explain it. Just not idling right. I am waiting for a borescope camera but damn snail mail. I guess I will open up the plugs in morning and check.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Solution
    @Xulfiqar

Removed the plugs today for cleaning and found the same again. I thought the plugs were out of service but... the spray + tooth brush cleaning brought back everything to original shape. What I thought were shattered electrode trips was actually carbon/gunk build up. The engine is working better now.

BUT another problem has been noted. The last spark plug (4th from left) on the 1NZFE engine, there was oil on the threads and could smell the burnt oil. The hole visible from above had also oily look. I take that some of the gasket needs changing? Please let me know asap the reasons for this and whether it is normal and whether I need to worry about the engine as a whole or not.
    @VCheng @StrikerX

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

Removed the plugs today for cleaning and found the same again. I thought the plugs were out of service but... the spray + tooth brush cleaning brought back everything to original shape. What I thought were shattered electrode trips was actually carbon/gunk build up. The engine is working better now.

BUT another problem has been noted. The last spark plug (4th from left) on the 1NZFE engine, there was oil on the threads and could smell the burnt oil. The hole visible from above had also oily look. I take that some of the gasket needs changing? Please let me know asap the reasons for this and whether it is normal and whether I need to worry about the engine as a whole or not.
    @VCheng @StrikerX
    Usually, it is only the O-ring seal for the spark plug tube that needs changing. If you are worried about the engine, you can always do a compression check and leakdown test.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

@VCheng @StrikerX
    that little gunk you cleaned was of no significance, its considered acceptable. Threads being oily is usually a sign of a leaking plug tube as vcheng said.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA guys,

I know its an old post, but i would like to ask you guys somethings.
    First i would start by saying, I really like and appreciate the knowledge you guys posses about all these things. It's really helpful

So I have a 1.3L Vitz (2SZ-FE) and it has been going great Alhamdulilha. There has not been any kncoking or any vibrations or anything at all. Everything has been working perfectly; however, the car started consuming a lot of Petrol. I have had periodic maintenance but the problem I encountered is that my mechanic would always take out the Iridium Denso Plugs and clean them with that that wire hard rotator. Although i told him it shouldn't be done because its iridium but he was like its Pakistan, it happens. I am using Toyota Genuine Oil Filter with Moly Green Black 5W-30 Engine oil along with Genuine Air Filter. Also the Genuine Toyota CVT Oil was changed at 37,000Kms and now car is at 61,000Km so that is still good. Also, throttle body cleaning and oxygen sensor cleaning has been done periodically.

My question is, do you guys think it can be my spark plugs that are causing fuel consumption issue? Also, the acceleration response has been less. Because i have read at alot of places that rotator type hard wire thingy cleaning can totally destroy the platinum or iridium spark plugs. Kindly share your thoughts, it will help me alot!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

proper throttle cleaning and by changing old plugs with new ones will sort out your problem

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List