Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A surprising fact: 2009-2011 model has more leg space than the 2012-2014

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A surprising fact: 2009-2011 model has more leg space than the 2012-2014

This is a recent discovery, a bit shocking to be honest. The corolla 2009-2011, and 2012-2014 are basically the same body with a few cosmetic changes, right? i thought so too, but the other day i sat in both cars and saw that the 2009-2011 model has more leg space than the 2012-2014, has anybody else noticed this? if so, any idea where they utilized the extra space?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Front or rear legroom? Was the seat position exactly identical in both cars? How did you measure, with a measuring tape and reference points? Or is it that you just felt? Were there seat covers in any of the two cars?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Khurram26 View Post
    Front or rear legroom? Was the seat position exactly identical in both cars? How did you measure, with a measuring tape and reference points? Or is it that you just felt? Were there seat covers in any of the two cars?
    Both similar cars with no seat covers, front and rear, both of them. The facelift one has literally no leg space for a fellow over 6 feet, whereas the old one can comfortably seat tall people. Even when seats are stretched all the way back, the old shape has more space, I checked it in multiple cars.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    Both similar cars with no seat covers, front and rear, both of them. The facelift one has literally no leg space for a fellow over 6 feet, whereas the old one can comfortably seat tall people. Even when seats are stretched all the way back, the old shape has more space, I checked it in multiple cars.
    I own a pre facelift and would agree! Its weird but its true lol

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Since the frame is the same, the only explanation can be that the facelift version has larger seats

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

they changed the seats on the facelift model and guess the reason is the shape of the seats.....have 3 of them at home....one pre-facelift and 2 facelift...have never sat in the back as I dont fit but have experianced it a few times
    we ride together......we die together.......BAD BOYS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by umarsaryar View Post
    they changed the seats on the facelift model and guess the reason is the shape of the seats.....have 3 of them at home....one pre-facelift and 2 facelift...have never sat in the back as I dont fit but have experianced it a few times
    Even in the front seat there is a noticeable difference, especially if you are tall. I don't know what they did, but the facelift vehicles are pointless, for my family, it could only be used as an uncomfortable coupe, very disappointing

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Even in the front seat there is a noticeable difference, especially if you are tall. I don't know what they did, but the facelift vehicles are pointless, for my family, it could only be used as an uncomfortable coupe, very disappointing
    I guess the seats are more padded in the facelift model so as to make the ride comfortable as there is considerable comfort level difference between the pre- and facelift model.....i am 6'3' and fit comfortably on the front seat....for me the facelift model feels much better as the car feels comfortable, both from seats and suspension point of view

One more thing if you have not noticed.....boot space in pre-facelift is more than in facelift model

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Anyone just upload the pics comparing both holding a tape measure that would end this curiosity and how come boot space more?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I guess the seats are more padded in the facelift model so as to make the ride comfortable as there is considerable comfort level difference between the pre- and facelift model.....i am 6'3' and fit comfortably on the front seat....for me the facelift model feels much better as the car feels comfortable, both from seats and suspension point of view

One more thing if you have not noticed.....boot space in pre-facelift is more than in facelift model
    6'3' and fit comfortably in it? I am 6'2' and I find it annoying, there isn't enough leg space in any of its seats. The boot space was a hunch of mine but couldn't really be sure without measurement

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ali15144 View Post
    Anyone just upload the pics comparing both holding a tape measure that would end this curiosity and how come boot space more?
    It's not a curiosity, it's a fact, no one here is denying it

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

6'3' and fit comfortably in it? I am 6'2' and I find it annoying, there isn't enough leg space in any of its seats. The boot space was a hunch of mine but couldn't really be sure without measurement
    I can only fit on the front seats....rear seats is a hassle as cant sit straight...have to bend my neck....luckily never have to sit in the back for travelling.....yes it is annoying, but what can you do....option is either to sell or adjust with whatever you have...going with the second option

regarding boot space....they changed speakers on the facelifted model and they stick out from the top of the boot....reason for smaller boot space

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I can only fit on the front seats....rear seats is a hassle as cant sit straight...have to bend my neck....luckily never have to sit in the back for travelling.....yes it is annoying, but what can you do....option is either to sell or adjust with whatever you have...going with the second option

regarding boot space....they changed speakers on the facelifted model and they stick out from the top of the boot....reason for smaller boot space
    I thought you said the older one had a smaller boot... New one having smaller boot as well as less leg space makes no sense

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I thought you said the older one had a smaller boot... New one having smaller boot as well as less leg space makes no sense
    I said that older one has bigger boot space because the speakers are not sticking out that much...never realised it but once had to shift boxes and I was able to fit 4 boxes in the older one's boot...newer one only allowed 3 boxes because of speakers....rest all the dimensions are the same

I know having less leg room makes no sense as everything is of the same size...I guess because of more padded seats, one feels cramped for room

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I said that older one has bigger boot space because the speakers are not sticking out that much...never realised it but once had to shift boxes and I was able to fit 4 boxes in the older one's boot...newer one only allowed 3 boxes because of speakers....rest all the dimensions are the same

I know having less leg room makes no sense as everything is of the same size...I guess because of more padded seats, one feels cramped for room
    Could you measure parts of the cars, this is a big mystery then as to where all that space went. I though remember that the new shape has a mighty fuel tank, don't know about the old one though

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Could you measure parts of the cars, this is a big mystery then as to where all that space went. I though remember that the new shape has a mighty fuel tank, don't know about the old one though
    I guess everything is the same.........facelift has better cushioned seats, thus feels cramped when u r sitting, but at the same time it is more comfortable...facelift has better speaker which are bigger in size, thus stick into the boot......there is no difference in boot space, only that it is easier to fit taller boxes in pre-facelift than facelift due to speakers...space is the same, better seats gives and impression of less space

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I guess everything is the same.........facelift has better cushioned seats, thus feels cramped when u r sitting, but at the same time it is more comfortable...facelift has better speaker which are bigger in size, thus stick into the boot......there is no difference in boot space, only that it is easier to fit taller boxes in pre-facelift than facelift due to speakers...space is the same, better seats gives and impression of less space
    Better seats with no leg space is not a good thing. Especially when one is 6"+, I was looking forward to a 1.6 6 speed altis, but due to the uncomfortable seating arrangements I have to opt for the pre facelift 1.8

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Better seats with no leg space is not a good thing. Especially when one is 6"+, I was looking forward to a 1.6 6 speed altis, but due to the uncomfortable seating arrangements I have to opt for the pre facelift 1.8
    the difference is space is very minimal....and am talking about Gli variant....and frankly these Corolla's are small family cars in international standards so one should not make a fuss that a tall person has less leg room....point is, being smaller family car it is bound to be cramped.....try sitting in a Chevy Cruze or a Ford Focus....you will have the same views....if you go for a big family saloon like Camry or Accord, yes the leg room is substantial...but they cost more to keep and own....again point is you should not expect a lot of room in these small cars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the difference is space is very minimal....and am talking about Gli variant....and frankly these Corolla's are small family cars in international standards so one should not make a fuss that a tall person has less leg room....point is, being smaller family car it is bound to be cramped.....try sitting in a Chevy Cruze or a Ford Focus....you will have the same views....if you go for a big family saloon like Camry or Accord, yes the leg room is substantial...but they cost more to keep and own....again point is you should not expect a lot of room in these small cars
    haha, but you see kind Sir, the matter is not that simple. If it were a focus or any other that had been of this size from the start, thats alright, but they decreased the leg space in the same shell, most of these cars are sold in the north, and people there are tall, i don't know what they were thinking... As far as other options are concerned, i do have quite a few but the model keeps going backwards even i take the budget to 2 mil.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

haha, but you see kind Sir, the matter is not that simple. If it were a focus or any other that had been of this size from the start, thats alright, but they decreased the leg space in the same shell, most of these cars are sold in the north, and people there are tall, i don't know what they were thinking... As far as other options are concerned, i do have quite a few but the model keeps going backwards even i take the budget to 2 mil.
    I guess the point you are making about decreased leg space is attributed to having extra padded seats......if you happen to sit in a XLi/GLi pre-facelift and compare it with those of the facelift, you will definitely feel a difference in seat comfort and ride comfort......obviously if the seats are padded more, you will have a cramped feeling in the same shell....IMC thinking could be to make the car comfortable and might have received some complaints......I totally agree with you that the model feel goes backwards with every passing year...my 2010 Corolla interior feel is better than the 2011 (facelift) model which is again better than the 2013 model...there are a few othe things that are a difference but would leave them for now...one of my friends who work for Toyota Japan said that Toyota is decreasing the costing of each part to keep cost down

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List