Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Corolla 2015 Steering column Knocks on bumpsy are clueless

AoA,
    i am facing a problem with my Altis 1.8 (2015) in its steering column. When i am driving on rough roads and on speed bumps or cat eyes the steering column makes knocking noise as if some metal is touching each other. I took car to the dealership and they tightend the column but still the noise was there. Recently they took out the while suspension in order to see if there is something wrong with the steering rack, but (good luck) everything was okay. They re tightened the steering column and still the problem persists. This sound usually occurs when im driving really slow (20 - 30 km/h) on cat eyes or bumps. Can somebody suggest me a solution to this problem because Toyota says everything is fine and they are clueless about what is causing this problem. I can literally feel the vibration on steering wheel when this sound happens. Please help.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Steering rod k bush as this was the problem in my grand father's 2001 mehran ussme ye issue tha corolla me hota k nai I dont know.meri corolla kabhi steering k kaam k liye open ni hui issliye I guess this might be ur issue but survey ker lijiye gqa

Sent from my D6503 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by razaafridi View Post
    AoA,
    i am facing a problem with my Altis 1.8 (2015) in its steering column. When i am driving on rough roads and on speed bumps or cat eyes the steering column makes knocking noise as if some metal is touching each other. I took car to the dealership and they tightend the column but still the noise was there. Recently they took out the while suspension in order to see if there is something wrong with the steering rack, but (good luck) everything was okay. They re tightened the steering column and still the problem persists. This sound usually occurs when im driving really slow (20 - 30 km/h) on cat eyes or bumps. Can somebody suggest me a solution to this problem because Toyota says everything is fine and they are clueless about what is causing this problem. I can literally feel the vibration on steering wheel when this sound happens. Please help.
    Brother I experienced the same issue, get your cars alignment checked by an authorised dealer, Basically after tightening up the screws/bolts underneath the body.. mostly dealership does it after 1000 Kms, Due to that tightening of bolts Cars alignment changes. Most of the people might not agree with me but that's what I have experienced.
    It does matter If your cars alignment is disturbed for only few points
    Let's see if it solves your problem..

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Duplicate post

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gitts070 View Post
    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    I agree to you on this. I have done 51000km on my car and ive had all the general checkups on time. The sound it produces is inside the car somewhere around the U Joint in the steering column and happens only in slow speed when you hit a bump or cat eyes or while driving on a rough road. Its like metals hitting each other. I thought it might be a worn U Joint but no it wasn't. Recently i had a full suspension checkup where they took off all the parts of suspension and everything was in perfect condition, they even unmounted the steering shaft and U joint and they were also fine. But still the problem persists. I dont know what to do with this as it ruins the whole pleasure of driving a new car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Duplicate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I did not face metallic sound but observed a sound as if some thing is lose in steering column, Toyota just tightened the steering covers nothihg worked.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The same problem is with my 2015 corolla, even the previous gen corolla has this issue. Its not that big try to get it done from the professional local repair shop. The 3s repair for this dug dug will not last long.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear bro! I experienced the same issue in my 2015 cultus. I went to the dealership for resolving the issue and they did the same bolt tightening remedies. After 2-3 visits and repeated fruitless bolt tightening they realized that the steering assembly is faulty. They then changed the steering assembly under warranty and everything is fine since then. So I would suggest you to push them for replacement of steering assembly if its under warranty.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AoA,
    Get your steering u-joint (commonly called cross) changed. The noise and metallic rattle that you feel in the steering will go.
    If it is not the lower u joint, then it's the intermediate shaft which would need greasing.
    Once it is done, please give your feedback too.

Sent from my SM-N900 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by itsgumbys View Post
    I did not face metallic sound but observed a sound as if some thing is lose in steering column, Toyota just tightened the steering covers nothihg worked.
    Exactly the same thing as mine. It feels like its loose, if you go on a bump or something it feels like its loose somewhere in the steering shaft and produces a sound just the same as a worn U Joint sounds like. Same thing they did to my car. Tightened and still its the same. No improvement.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by KamranAslam View Post
    The same problem is with my 2015 corolla, even the previous gen corolla has this issue. Its not that big try to get it done from the professional local repair shop. The 3s repair for this dug dug will not last long.
    Yes I guess Toyota mechanics are clueless about it. I doubt their workmanship anyhow. I think i have to check with a professional local mechanic for this. To my immature knowledge about this problem o think that it might be the case with the wrong alignment of Yokes in the steering column.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Khurram26 View Post
    Get your steering u-joint (commonly called cross) changed. The noise and metallic rattle that you feel in the steering will go.
    If it is not the lower u joint, then it's the intermediate shaft which would need greasing.
    Once it is done, please give your feedback too.

Khurram Bhai, could you please tell me what this intermediate shaft is? Because they won't understand this name. I mean to ask its name in layman terms.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by omer718 View Post
    Dear bro! I experienced the same issue in my 2015 cultus. I went to the dealership for resolving the issue and they did the same bolt tightening remedies. After 2-3 visits and repeated fruitless bolt tightening they realized that the steering assembly is faulty. They then changed the steering assembly under warranty and everything is fine since then. So I would suggest you to push them for replacement of steering assembly if its under warranty.
    Omar bhai, could you please tell me what is meant by the steering assembly? Does it include the seering rack (steering box) itself? In your case, did they change the steering box or just the U Joint and shaft etc?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Khurram Bhai, could you please tell me what this intermediate shaft is? Because they won't understand this name. I mean to ask its name in layman terms.
    It is the part of steering assembly directly above the u joint... leading to the steering wheel.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is the part of steering assembly directly above the u joint... leading to the steering wheel.

Thanks for all the help brother. I went to Toyota and they said we need to pull down the whole steering rack to check if you have a problem with the sterring rack mounts because they said they didn't find anything wrong with the U joint or steering assembly itself. I acknowledged and they took a while on it. There was no problem with the steering box and its mounts. They refitted everything and after it was done the problem sort of diminished to a level that now while driving straight on a cat eye or bump I don't hear that sound but if the steering wheel is slightly tilted to right side while hitting cat eyes or bumps, the sound happens to appear. The difference is that now its not happening with the steering wheel being straight. Toyota is ridiculously clueless about it and this sound makes my ride feel like an old 90s car.
    Don't know what to do.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for all the help brother. I went to Toyota and they said we need to pull down the whole steering rack to check if you have a problem with the sterring rack mounts because they said they didn't find anything wrong with the U joint or steering assembly itself. I acknowledged and they took a while on it. There was no problem with the steering box and its mounts. They refitted everything and after it was done the problem sort of diminished to a level that now while driving straight on a cat eye or bump I don't hear that sound but if the steering wheel is slightly tilted to right side while hitting cat eyes or bumps, the sound happens to appear. The difference is that now its not happening with the steering wheel being straight. Toyota is ridiculously clueless about it and this sound makes my ride feel like an old 90s car.
    Don't know what to do.
    The problem is with the shaft. Since it is a telescopic column, you can adjust the steering by moving it forward (away from you) or backward (towards yourself). When it is fully pulled, that is, away from the dashboard, it is likely to make more noise since the contact point of the intermediate shaft becomes smaller. I suspect you have it fully extended towards yourself.

Release the steering adjustment latch, push your steering forward fully ( away from yourself) and lock the latch again.

Drive with the steering in this position and tell me if you feel any difference.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The problem is with the shaft. Since it is a telescopic column, you can adjust the steering by moving it forward (away from you) or backward (towards yourself). When it is fully pulled, that is, away from the dashboard, it is likely to make more noise since the contact point of the intermediate shaft becomes smaller. I suspect you have it fully extended towards yourself.

Release the steering adjustment latch, push your steering forward fully ( away from yourself) and lock the latch again.

Drive with the steering in this position and tell me if you feel any difference.

The steering wheel is fully pushed. I double checked it and still its making the same noise.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List