0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Corolla XLi official service intervals

I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla XLi Petrol in Lahore from one of the main dealers. We was told to take the car in for a 1000 KMs check/service. We took the car and the guys there simply checked and said its ok. At the same time the supervisor in the workshop told us that the next service is due after 10,000 KMs.
    Now the car has done about 4000 KMs. Just to clarify, it is still on petrol. (not on CNG as yet because we wanted to drive it without CNG for a bit in case we see any early manufacturing faults with it). My brother went in to get something else the other day, and they informed us that we should have had it serviced (oil change) every 2500KMs !!! and a filter and oil change every 5000KMs !!!
    They also claimed that they havent asked us to come back after 10,000KMs and also asked us who exactly told us. My brother simply told them, that we do not keep a record of who speaks to us in their shop, and did not record the coversation
    Any how, we had the car serviced which came to quite a lot of money. I am not in Pakistan currently so couldnt argue with the guy..so...

My two questions are below is

How often does the service have to be done according to your car dealer?

How ofter does the service have to be done according to the service/warranty book?

I ask because changing oil every 2500Kms is absolutely crazy as it is only 1526 in Miles. I have only heard of cars needing an oil change at 8,000 MILES or more. I already understand the reasons that there is a lot of dust etc in Pakistan and that the oil is not good quality etc, but the difference in 1500Miles and 8,000 miles is HUGE!!

Please help answer my two questions above according to your experience and info.

Thanks,
    GB.
    "Inna mal a'maalu binniya"
    "Actions are based upon intentions"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think the recommended oil change is at 4000mi... Checkups in Pakistan are at 1k, 5k(I think), definitely 10k,15k, and 20k.
    This comment was made by a person with a tested IQ of negative 9.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Bilal
    Do you mean 4000KM or 4000miles?
    And is that what it says in the service book ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

First, if it is a petrol car(XLI), then no way does it need an oil change every 2500km.I, using the same car have experience and know that minimum change is 5000k.If oils like caltex havoline formula, shell helix super and original toyota motor oil(TMO 2000) are used!

First inspection 1000k.Air filter every 10000km, fuel filter 20000k if used on petrol.Change oil filter with oil original made in japan(denso).

Well according to my dealer, Toyota Rawal, the service intervals are same as the warranty book.Ask ur brother to refer to it and change the dealer as there are many dealers in lahore.

when using synthetic oil, it can be used upto max 15000km.But due to dirt it is advisable at max 10.I change at 10 using zic synthetic.Mobil 1 lasts longer.

Hope I answered your queries

Regards
    The future of Automobile...Mercedes-Benz S Class Saloon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You said that you've heard of cars that needed oil changes at 8000MILES and I was just replying to that...

I think you should trust Abdullah's reply over mine. Good luck.(y)
    This comment was made by a person with a tested IQ of negative 9.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@abdullah,
    many thanks for your answer. yes it answers my questions quite well.
    From what you said it seems like the dealer is simply greedy. I am pretty sure if the service was a free service, they would never have recomended at a silly interval of 2500KMs !!
    Just to clarify, it is on petrol. (not on CNG as yet because we wanted to drive it without CNG for a bit in case we see any early manufacturing faults with it)
    If we change the dealer, does it affect the warranty of the vehicle at all?
    Thanks again.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bilal,
    Oh,,,ok. sorry i misunderstood. I meant the usual oil change here for cars is 8000miles or above. I have a VW 2.0 petrol engine in my Sokda Octavia and changed oil in it after 16,000 MIles because of being on variable service with Caltex long life synthetic oil. The car gives a warning/indication when the oil change is due by measuring the oil quality. Depending on the driving styles, it can vary upto 20,000 MILES before needing an oil change.
    However thats all about my experience here in the UK and is not related to the Corolla XLi service intervals. The delaer in Lahore I tink is simply trying to make a quick buck unfortunately.
    Thanks again for your help Bilal.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@gamezbond
    you can change your dealer, warranty book is for use in entire country, not to specific dealer..

My personal opinion is that you must change oil at 5000km if you really like your car..

we got both altis n xli n we change oil at exact 3000km thats why our car still performs like brand new.

plz never take your car to toyota dealer for oil change or regular checkups...
    their regular checkup is as follow:
    1) looks for all lights whether working properly or not.
    2) wiper function
    3) floor mats present or not
    4) coolant level.. (if its low they will charge for refilling)
    5) wheel caps
    bla bla bla,, unnecessary checkups..

for engine tuning they will charge you extra,
    wheel balancing: extra money n lot more then local market
    and like wise...

you should only consult them if you have problem regarding any component of engine which is malfunctioning, or if window glass doesnt operate properly, else for minor works, always consult your local mistry...

like a family doctor n lawer, one should also have a family mistry..
    The next statement is false..--] The previous statement is true

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ambushed_sniper,
    Thanks for your reply. But if the car was serviced at the intervals required in the service book, only by other mechanics, then I assume that the warranty will not be valid right? I am just assuming and am not sure. Because (I assume again) that Toyota would like the car to be serviced at the right intervals by the rightly qualified people (at least they claim to be so) for the warranty to be valid, otherwise they will void the warranty if the car was not serviced at these intervals by Toyota authorised dealers. And obviously there should be a record or a stamp of the service performed on the warranty/service book.
    I do understand that we can have the oil changed by any one or our family mistry (we do have one) at any time, and it doesnt have to be at the intervals required by Toyota. But thats by our choice only to keep the engine in good condition.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@GamesBond!
    Well, no the warranty doesn't get void/u can access dealers all over Pakistan!
    Dealers have varying rates and service quality.They have various differing machinery/equipment.Tell ur brother to survey all the dealers in lahore eg:toyota ravi,toyota walton etc.
    warranty however gets void if u install security systems, trackker, cd player etc.Anything not from the dealer.Have a sneak in isl/rwp as dealers here install cng themeselves and their assembling quality is very good.

and sorry but i dont agree with ambushed_sniper:
    as mechanics overall pakistan are loots unless u stand on theor heads!dealerships have a repo to protect.I have had all the experiments my suggestion use zic synthetic/mobil1! synthetic oil @ 7k is better in condition from mineral @3k!even my car performs well mashallah.Have a good survey over the dealers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Honda dealers are much better then toyota dealers..
    we bought new honda n on first check up they checked the cars engine, whether it was properly tuned or not, they even checked the plugs on my request n i said that sometimes i feel there is wobbling n so they also checked on wheel balance n showed me the results for my satisfaction..

when i was leaving, i thought now they`ll give me the bill as toyota dealers do but they just gave me comment card n ofcourse I filled with excellent remarks..

they suggested me to change oil at 5000km with air filter also, the person himself told me not to put expensive honda original air filter as you`ll have to change it at 5000km for best performance.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@gamezbond
    warranty doesnt expires if you dont visit your dealer at told intervals, warranty mean dat if anything goes wrong within the warranty period, they`ll entertain you with the part, but labour is not free..

@Abdullah
    i agree that mechanics are loots but if you know what to replace like coolant or wheel balancing or alighment, then you can save many bucks..
    my brother took altis to toyota dealer for brakes to b tightened up n they charged 1000 rupees n I got it done in 150 rupees by our family misty..

this is what im talking about.

dealer changed the motor of window glass free of cost but still charged us 400 rupees as labour.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thats interesting i paid 350 for brakes tightening.And ofcourse dealers are more expensive all over the world! but reliable too...anyways experience varies from person to person

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Right guys, I just rang my brother, and found out that it was the supervisor mechanic from SHAHEEN TOYOTA in Lahore that claims the oil should be changed every 2500KMs!!! They even asked my brother "Which crazy person told you to do a service every 5000KMs?" Ofcourse we didnt write down the name of the person so simply told him we hadnt written his name down in our records.
    This kind of behaviour from a main Toyota dealer is shameful, and is a disgrace for the dealer, and for the name of Toyota company overall.

I have asked my brother to check the service book, and only go there when the service is required according to the service book ONLY.
    I agree with both of you. Also agree that if we know exactly what to do, it helps as the mistry wont take us for a ride.
    Personally I do everything on my car myself here onmy Octavia. And have asked my brother to buy one of the good oils and a genuine toyota filter next time and take it to a known mechanic where he either pours the oil himself, or watches the mechanic put the oil and filter in himself.
    I assume that the warranty will be void as soon as we install cng anyway, so there will be very little point in taking the car to Toyota for small things like oil change and air filter change.
    oil+filter change is very simple, and I can do it in less than 20 minutes. Front Brake pads in 25 minutes, and air filter in less than 10 minutes. All pretty easy jobs.
    I agree that the toyota main delaer mechanics may be more knowledgable than others but if they are going to charge silly prices, and make false statements, and make me feel that I am the wrong party (while I am the cutomer in fact) everytime we visit them, then I would prefer to stay away and only consult them in desperate need!
    I am pretty dissapointed with "Shaheen Motors" after this experience and will be making "better" choice next time.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@abdullah,
    "warranty however gets void if u install security systems, trackker, cd player etc.Anything not from the dealer.Have a sneak in isl/rwp as dealers here install cng themeselves and their assembling quality is very good."

oops thats bad news for me I think. We have installed security system etc. So are you sure that the warranty is void? cos it wont make much sense to void the warranty of the engine/gearbox by installing a stereo for example. Please explain,
    Thanks.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

abdullah means dat installing the so quoted electronic item voids the warranty on electronic mechanism of the car, like hazards stop working, cabin light or meter light doesnt work, lighter doesnt work.. am i right abdullah.

installing cng does void the warranty on engine but still works for some parts like wheel hub bearing, or power steering probs or suspension probs...
    the most common prob after installing cng is of the air intake manifold, there are paper thin plates in the intake manifold which breaks when engine back fires (very common is XLi n GLi)...

at toyota motors it costs 8000 rupees but again same prob so go to any place where kabli maal is available n get a kabli one installed for just 2000 or 2500, n those are without those paperthin plates n thus resolves the issue forever,

those plates just decreases some noise but you`ll hardly feel any difference after changing it with a kabli one..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ambushed_sniper
    Yes that makes more sense about the warranty etc.
    Do you know where I can find this information in writing (regarding what warranty is void by installing different items) so that if SHaheen Motors or any other Toyota tries another trick, we can point them to the written info ?

Thanks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well now thats another case.I mean the air-intake manifold doesn't break until u rev ur car upto 7-8k rpm !that also on cng only on cold temp, or when it backfires due to a bad air filter.the breakage percentage is about 2%, new one costs 6500, kabli 2500, and plates removal 500!But they shud b kept as they are made to be there!
    However all this is very very rare!
    Now the warranty issue since there was no electricity so replying late!What i have judged all this time is that u are giving toooooo much importance to warranty related to the car that also in Pakistan?!!!

I am really sorry but this is not the uk!Over here dealers even sell accidented/repaired cars as zero meter cars, and u are talking about warrant?!!Its all bu**sh**!!!over here!give it 0.l1%importance as it doesnt matter.Companies provide nothing and warranty expires by doing anything u do !except sitting in the car.
    Probably even by driving it and toyota is no exception.U need to change tyres+rims to improve brakes which'll void suspension warranty, cd player electronics, cng---:back suspension, cng related parts.
    But a good piece of advice?!Just dont give a damn!do what u like theres 15% only after sales here....so warranty yes/no=same!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for that advice too abdullah. I will keep the warranty issue in mind too. Was just trying to not void the warranty if unnecessarily thats all. But I do get your point though.
    Thanks again to all.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

interesting topic....
    we also bought an Xli recently n i went for the first checkup at 1000km. they checked all the unnecessary things and said its fine. today i got a call from the guy from the HR department of Toyota city motors, Multan, he said that now u should have ur oil changed at 2500km and then have a regular check-up at 6000km. is that fine?
    n i intend to put synthetic oil but that voids the warrant. i dont care abt that but i want my car's service history to be complete. so would they change the oil if i get a synthetic one from outside?
    Its my way or the highway! | http://www.flickr.com/photos/riazsaad/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List