0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Advice Required for Cultus Carbi Engine Head / Clutch Plate Work

Dear all I have a cultus (06) carbi version and it requires a head job alongwith change of clutch and pressure plates as 108K done already, so your help is required on the procurement of following parts required for the job:

1. Valves
    2. Valve Seats
    3. Valve Guides
    4. Head Gasket
    5. Clutch Plate
    6. Pressure Plate
    7. Clutch Bearing
    8. Flywheel bearing if required for this job do advise.

Any other thing I have missed please do elaborate.

I am in Lahore so please mention the best quality brands of the above and where to buy them and last but not the least do tell me who is considered the best Kharadia for this head job in Lahore as I have been advised that someone in Nila Gumbad is the best out there.

So guys help me out here as this is not a routine work and i want it to be a gud one rather than doing it again in a year's time as u know that is costly hopefully around 15K-16K. Do share your experiences.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For clutch and pressure plates use the brand "FCC", will be slightly costly but are very good.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mzahid: thanks bro would keep in mind heard this is a good brand just wanted to confirm from experienced members

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well if its 108K on the odo, how about throwing in a new set of Timing Belt and Timing Bearing??

Some advise to replace the T-Belt after 80K just to be on the safe side.

Might as well check for rust condition in the water body. If you wernt using coolant for quite some time, or have never used altogether, i think the water body rotor seal would be in a bad shape right now.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the waterpump would be pretty dead if used on tap water, and when the head is removed, clean out all the rusted out waterjackets around the cylinders, a stiff long brush some dilute acid (very very weak battery acid works) then neutralize with meetha soda solution. Finally spray some WD40 on it to prevent corrossion.

Do the same with the head too and powerflush the radiator, the running temps will drop considerably, Also remove the iron casting pieces between the exhaust manifold flange (takes 5 minutes with a saw) - helps in saving the headgasket.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo1 View Post
    Dear all I have a cultus (06) carbi version and it requires a head job alongwith change of clutch and pressure plates as 108K done already, so your help is required on the procurement of following parts required for the job:

1. Valves
    2. Valve Seats
    3. Valve Guides
    4. Head Gasket
    5. Clutch Plate
    6. Pressure Plate
    7. Clutch Bearing
    8. Flywheel bearing if required for this job do advise.

Any other thing I have missed please do elaborate.

I am in Lahore so please mention the best quality brands of the above and where to buy them and last but not the least do tell me who is considered the best Kharadia for this head job in Lahore as I have been advised that someone in Nila Gumbad is the best out there.

So guys help me out here as this is not a routine work and i want it to be a gud one rather than doing it again in a year's time as u know that is costly hopefully around 15K-16K. Do share your experiences.
    You can go to Niazi Autos at nila gumbad for parts.

Fuji - valves and guides
    NTN - Timing belt bearing & clutch bearing
    Nachi - Pilot bearing
    Exedy - Clutch & Pressure Plate (Exedy comes stock in cultus & FCC in khyber)
    Mitsuba - Fan Belt
    Bando - timing belt
    SGP - Head Gasket

As Xulfiqar said it all boils down to the fact that how clean the engine head is when it goes back on the block. The oil and coolant passages must be super clean. In these types of engine the valve clearance is hydraulically controlled so the oil pressure & oil viscosity grade should be according to the manufacturer recommendations and with in acceptable range.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The most most important bit - when the lifters are removed from the head they should go back to the same hole they came out of. (mark them in separate baggies or an old ice tray will also work).

The reason is that they actually rotate everytime the cam presses on them and wear a pattern with the cam profile, moving used lifters to a different bore will wear out the cam and lifter flat - which means that you would need to buy a new camshaft and lifters too. Ive not seen this practice followed often and the cam wears out (mechanics then blame engine oil etc) Also when installing new valve seals its ideal to insert valve first into the guide, then use a straw over the valve stem and push the seal over the valve onto the guide (do not remove valve once done - as the valve collet grooves can damage the seal lips - which will then result in oil consumption again)
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rustam54: Thanks for the concern bro changing timing belt and bearing already included in the plan and yes tap water was used so tell me if water body also requires some new parts like u mentioned rotor seal and what brand is recommended.

@ Xulfiqar: Thank u for the expert and elaborated advice. Can u please elaborate the power flush method for the radiator

@smijaz: Thanks for the information however; u have mentioned Pilot Bearing please elaborate what purpose it serves and also advise why the fan belt needs replacement.

Your responses are much appreciated please bear with me as I have bought this car almost six months back and know nothing about this piece of crap however; has a santro too bought it brand new in 2008 and 65K on the ODO and never faced any problem so far and please keep the valuable information flowing as I have much to learn.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Xulfiqar: Sorry to bother u about radiator flushing as u have already mentioned it in another thread so will get help from there

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pilot bearing is in the middle of the flywheel to hold the transmission shaft.

No need to replace the fan belt if its new and not screeching.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys help also required for a good mechanic and a Kharadia for the job in lahore and also mention at what height the valve seats should be set as Xulfiqar mentioned in another thread that most of the mechanics dont know anything about that

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Gringo1

Sir i dont think you can actually replace the Water Body (water pump) seal. You need to buy a new water pump. Not a high cost though.

Also after the overhaul, please try to use a good quality coolant as it saves the internals from rust for quite a long time and saves you the occasional radiator cleaning and water body replacements.

Also i would second Mr. Xulfiqar about the hydraulic lifters. A good mechanic always keeps tracks of the lifters (which came out of where). Ask him to do a thorough service, by opening the inside cylinders, flush them up with petrol, clean them "ONE By ONE". I repeat "One by One" to keep track of what parts belong to which lifter. Then soak them in engine oil, re-assemble them. And test by plunging them by hands to observe a resistance free motion. For these are the lifters that get un-plungable due to late oil changes and poor quality oil.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is also a very good practice to powerflush the oil galleries in the head. You'll be amazed at the amount of junk that comes out.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List