Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cultus VXR Tappet noisy

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Cultus VXR Tappet noisy

    slam all. i have cultus vxr 2005 non efi. its tappet are producing tick tick sound which is irritating. Can they be repaired. plz quote the price for new ones and recommend some good brand. should buy kabli or new???thnx
    when i start car in morning i.e when engine is cold, it is soundless as soon as it becomes warmer it starts producing noise at idle and also while accelerating...


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    umarkhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sargodha
    Posts
    2,312
    Follows
    6
    Following
    8
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    it seems that your engine had a head job and the lathe worker must have grinded the valve stems.(good for cng though)
    thats why they are producing the sound.
    they cant be replaced.
    if you want to replace them,then you will have to buy a new camshaft aswell.(too heavy on pocket)
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by umarkhan1 View Post
    it seems that your engine had a head job and the lathe worker must have grinded the valve stems.(good for cng though)
    thats why they are producing the sound.
    they cant be replaced.
    if you want to replace them,then you will have to buy a new camshaft aswell.(too heavy on pocket)
    i have not gone for head job.my mechanic opened head cover and put out the 6 hydraulis lifters, cleaned them with petrol and refit them only this was done.now they were producing more tick tick noise than before. pehlay b sound aati thi bt km thi ab boht ziada ho gy hy

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    shamail_haider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sialkot
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariaawan View Post
    i have not gone for head job.my mechanic opened head cover and put out the 6 hydraulis lifters, cleaned them with petrol and refit them only this was done.now they were producing more tick tick noise than before. pehlay b sound aati thi bt km thi ab boht ziada ho gy hy
    Keep on driving it. The tick tick sound will vanish away.
    I agree with umerkhan that some mechanic has grinded the valves more than enough for smooth starting which is now making tick tick sound.
    I've a 2006 carby cultus and the previous owner had gone through the same grinding process and it started making the same sound. I went to "kharradia" and he opened the tappet cover and brought out the "tikkis of the tappets" , cleaned them with some liquid and placed them back. On the very nextday, I went to Lahore and that tik tik sound remained the same. But after driving it locally for a week, that annoying sound vanished away and now the car is back to its original sound.
    Replacing these tikki tappets and valves is really an expensive job and not a good decision as well. This tikk tikk sound is surely annoying but not harmful at all for the engine.

    Sent from my A60 using PW Forums mobile app
    I Luv Jet Engines.......I Luv Cars.

    Its My Passion,i'm ready to go for it behind the Bars.

    Sialkot ROCKS.......

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shamail_haider View Post
    Keep on driving it. The tick tick sound will vanish away.
    I agree with umerkhan that some mechanic has grinded the valves more than enough for smooth starting which is now making tick tick sound.
    I've a 2006 carby cultus and the previous owner had gone through the same grinding process and it started making the same sound. I went to "kharradia" and he opened the tappet cover and brought out the "tikkis of the tappets" , cleaned them with some liquid and placed them back. On the very nextday, I went to Lahore and that tik tik sound remained the same. But after driving it locally for a week, that annoying sound vanished away and now the car is back to its original sound.
    Replacing these tikki tappets and valves is really an expensive job and not a good decision as well. This tikk tikk sound is surely annoying but not harmful at all for the engine.

    Sent from my A60 using PW Forums mobile app
    thnx for ur kind reply..ok i will keep on driving with the same.i use zic A+ 5W20. mechanic has recommended to use 10W40.will it help a bit??

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    shamail_haider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sialkot
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariaawan View Post
    thnx for ur kind reply..ok i will keep on driving with the same.i use zic A+ 5W20. mechanic has recommended to use 10W40.will it help a bit??
    I don't want to provide you with misinformation regarding the effect and role of the oil to control any such noise from tappets. I'm using Kixx 20-50 and its giving me good mileage of 16 to 17kms/ltr on highway by driving under 2.5k RPM .

    Sent from my A60 using PW Forums mobile app
    I Luv Jet Engines.......I Luv Cars.

    Its My Passion,i'm ready to go for it behind the Bars.

    Sialkot ROCKS.......

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    syncview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,364
    Follows
    7
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariaawan View Post
    i have not gone for head job.my mechanic opened head cover and put out the 6 hydraulis lifters, cleaned them with petrol and refit them only this was done.now they were producing more tick tick noise than before. pehlay b sound aati thi bt km thi ab boht ziada ho gy hy
    did the mechanic mark each hydraulic lifter and its respective location before pulling them out? they should be fit back into the same slots from where each one of them were taken out
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    umarkhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sargodha
    Posts
    2,312
    Follows
    6
    Following
    8
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariaawan View Post
    thnx for ur kind reply..ok i will keep on driving with the same.i use zic A+ 5W20. mechanic has recommended to use 10W40.will it help a bit??
    man thats too thin oil.use shell helix hx 5 10w/40.its best for hydraulic lifters.and the correct quantity of engine oil in carby cultus is 3.2 liters (with oil filter change)

    one thing more.i do not trust zic now a days....
    Just Do It Your Self!!!!!

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    did the mechanic mark each hydraulic lifter and its respective location before pulling them out? they should be fit back into the same slots from where each one of them were taken out
    no he did not mark their positions and placed them randomly.Now what can be done they are all messed up???

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    imranbhatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,373
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ^ What about perfromance issue have it resolved or decreased a bit after driving car for 2~3 weeks ?
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    syncview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,364
    Follows
    7
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariaawan View Post
    no he did not mark their positions and placed them randomly.Now what can be done they are all messed up???
    read this thread:

    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/cng...pet-adjustment
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    If the buckets are noisy then check for wear on them with wooden rod (mixing them up - swapping in holes - will cause camshaft damage - its guaranteed)

    If any tappets are soft after hot shutdown, they are bad, if you think your tappets have been swapped around them you need to check each tappet on a perfectly flat piece of glass, they should be slightly domed - if they are flat you will destroy the cam and also the lifter as to function correctly it must rotate in its bore, otherwise it will sieze and cause serious damage.

    Engines with such valve system should never use thick engine oil.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    margallar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    9,960
    Follows
    6
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ^does margalla engine have such tappets?
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    ^ What about perfromance issue have it resolved or decreased a bit after driving car for 2~3 weeks ?
    performance has decreased a bit but its fine. When i start car in morning no tick tick noise.as soon as the engine gets warmer, the tick tick sound starts

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    If the buckets are noisy then check for wear on them with wooden rod (mixing them up - swapping in holes - will cause camshaft damage - its guaranteed)

    If any tappets are soft after hot shutdown, they are bad, if you think your tappets have been swapped around them you need to check each tappet on a perfectly flat piece of glass, they should be slightly domed - if they are flat you will destroy the cam and also the rocker as to function correctly it must rotate in its bore, otherwise it will sieze and cause serious damage.

    Engines with such valve system should never use thick engine oil.
    @Xulfiqar thnx for ur prompt reply..
    when mechanic took out tappets, some were soft and some were hard, but when he cleaned them all became soft.(means they are gone)
    Now should i buy new ones.tell some gud brand plz.New ones or kabli??

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    when they are cleaned out they lose their hydraulic function till they are filled with oil again, They are checked with them on the engine. press them with a wooden rod.

    For replacement never ever use old scrap items, always buy brand new ones - they are precision machined items and wear as a "matched pair" to the specific camshaft lobe.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    imranbhatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,373
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @mariaawan

    Xulfiqar has explained the deatils & mentioned as well that thick oil should be avoided so u may try with 10W-40 or 5W-40 grade oil to check the reduction in noise other wise do consult some good mechanic to avoid further damages.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

  18. 21-01-2014, 11:30 AM

    Senior PakWheeler

    Reason
    Not needed

  19. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    imranbhatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,373
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @mariaawan

    Continuing to Xulfiqar's comment, to propoerly fill out the bucket with oil after serivcing etc or to remove the trapped air out from the buckets, the owner manuals reference says to run the engnie between 2K~3K RPM for ~30 minutes. Doing so, it will remove the trapped air out & propoerly fill the oil in buckets after that associated noise will be cleared provided the hydraulic lifter setup is proper as per specs.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

  20. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    bradpit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,064
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    @mariaawan

    Continuing to Xulfiqar's comment, to propoerly fill out the bucket with oil after serivcing etc or to remove the trapped air out from the buckets, the owner manuals reference says to run the engnie between 2K~3K RPM for ~30 minutes. Doing so, it will remove the trapped air out & propoerly fill the oil in buckets after that associated noise will be cleared provided the hydraulic lifter setup is proper as per specs.
    I would suggest to run engine on idle rather than driving the car.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

  21. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    mariaawan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Taxila
    Age
    26
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    @mariaawan

    Continuing to Xulfiqar's comment, to propoerly fill out the bucket with oil after serivcing etc or to remove the trapped air out from the buckets, the owner manuals reference says to run the engnie between 2K~3K RPM for ~30 minutes. Doing so, it will remove the trapped air out & propoerly fill the oil in buckets after that associated noise will be cleared provided the hydraulic lifter setup is proper as per specs.
    when i start car in morning i.e when engine is cold, it is soundless as soon as it becomes warmer it starts producing noise at idle and also while accelerating...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •