Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default cam problem in cultus efi

Salaam

I have a cultus vxri efi 2010. I had been using zic A 10w40 api sn in it. Since last month, I had started noticing that the engine was making increased sound than before. I took it over to the mechanic and he said that the cam had worn out. He has repaired the head and cam and now he had poured in suzuki genuine oil premium 10w40 api sg. The dealership person told me to go for sgo ultimate 10w40 api sm, but my mechanic did not let me go for it. The dealership person was praising the api sm wala oil because it lasts 5000 kms. The premium one which my mechanic forced to buy lasts 3000 kms. Now my mechanic has told to stick to this oil only as all the other 10w40 eg. Shell, zic and total are not for my ride. Do the newer oils really damage the head and cams???? He says that baleno and efi cultus are very sensitive to oils. Newer oils are not suitable for their heads.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes you can find more on this issue on pakwheels that the sm and sn rated oil have low zddp therefore cam failure for flat tappets is an issue. As EFI cultus has flat tappets therefore require more zddp. Use sg or sj rated oils, sl maybe used, but not sm or sn. The carby cultus if I am correct it was mentioned somewhere doesn't have flat tappets thus these oils don't damage it as much.

What did your mechanic repair in the head, was there a leak? If yes then it would have been better to go for a kabli one. Heads whose leaks have been repaired leak again as they cannot withstand the optimal temperature of a running car. Make sure your mechanic hasn't removed the thermostat valve, they commonly tend to do so.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Glioblastoma View Post
    Yes you can find more on this issue on pakwheels that the sm and sn rated oil have low zddp therefore cam failure for flat tappets is an issue. As EFI cultus has flat tappets therefore require more zddp. Use sg or sj rated oils, sl maybe used, but not sm or sn. The carby cultus if I am correct it was mentioned somewhere doesn't have flat tappets thus these oils don't damage it as much.

What did your mechanic repair in the head, was there a leak? If yes then it would have been better to go for a kabli one. Heads whose leaks have been repaired leak again as they cannot withstand the optimal temperature of a running car. Make sure your mechanic hasn't removed the thermostat valve, they commonly tend to do so.
    But why is an older carby cultus able to withstand api sm oils whereas the newer efi ones are sensitive. arent the dealerships anticipating the hazards, when thay are so strongly recommending me to go for their api sm variant of oil?????

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lets wait for the experts to read. But as far as I have read as I already mentioned its because of the flat tappets, the carby cultus uses hydraulic lifters instead of flat tappets hence no problem. But efi cultus has flat tappets they wear out due to low zddp levels in these sm and sn rated oils. Regarding the dealership I don't think so dealerships in Pakistan think about benefiting the customers, they want money, so why not sell you a more expensive oil. Read these posts

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/oil...t-zddp-problem

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/oil...ing-engine-oil

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro what was odometer reading while you got cam repaired? Highly unlikely that cam wear out too fast i understand ZDDP needs for Flat tappets many factors contribute to engine wear.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am amazed that you found a guy that does some research. though the oil does contribute to cam wear, but i would also advise to check your pcv valve.
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Regularly driving at high RPM also contributes to cam wear. High RPM means >3.5k for most gasoline passenger car engines.

Did your mechanic break in the new cam properly?
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lets wait for the experts to read. But as far as I have read as I already mentioned its because of the flat tappets, the carby cultus uses hydraulic lifters instead of flat tappets hence no problem. But efi cultus has flat tappets they wear out due to low zddp levels in these sm and sn rated oils. Regarding the dealership I don't think so dealerships in Pakistan think about benefiting the customers, they want money, so why not sell you a more expensive oil. Read these posts

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/oil...t-zddp-problem

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/oil...ing-engine-oil
    I have researched a bit, but I am in doubts. A mehran also uses flat tappets and so does my cultus efi, there must be certain improvements in cultus tappets and cam to minimise the wear and tear. Besides, ppl quote of cam failures in classis and muscle cars. And arent the latest grades such as api sm and sn backward compatible??? A neighbour owns a 2008 efi cultus and his car has been driven 118000 kms entirely on petrol. He uses shell hx7 api sm/sn from day one even after the viscosity changed to 5w30. But he has never encountered any problem. His engine still sounds like new. I quoted his case to my mechanic so he said "ous ki qismat achee hogi warna in oils pe yeh model fail hojaata hai"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can I find 10w40 in api SL and earlier, besides sgo. I have heard that sgo quality is pathetic

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TahaMehdi View Post
    I have researched a bit, but I am in doubts. A mehran also uses flat tappets and so does my cultus efi, there must be certain improvements in cultus tappets and cam to minimise the wear and tear. Besides, ppl quote of cam failures in classis and muscle cars. And arent the latest grades such as api sm and sn backward compatible??? A neighbour owns a 2008 efi cultus and his car has been driven 118000 kms entirely on petrol. He uses shell hx7 api sm/sn from day one even after the viscosity changed to 5w30. But he has never encountered any problem. His engine still sounds like new. I quoted his case to my mechanic so he said "ous ki qismat achee hogi warna in oils pe yeh model fail hojaata hai"
    Well I have also seen many cultus cars being driven on sm and sn rated oils with no problems as well. But your car has got a problem which you got fixed better to stick to sg or sj oils so problems don't arise again. I don't think they might have done improvements in cam design. Yes you are correct mostly classic and muscle cars faced this problem and these oils are backwards compatible, but still these cars also had cam failures even though oil companies say they are backward compatible.

By the way did you check what other members are suggesting you to check.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TahaMehdi View Post
    can I find 10w40 in api SL and earlier, besides sgo. I have heard that sgo quality is pathetic
    You can go for zic m 15W-40 in sj grade or zipex 10W-40 sj.

Previously I was also using zic but got a fake product hence shifted to Fuchs from hascol pump. Fuchs has sj and sl products both in 20W-50. As its a company operated pump one on shahra-e-faisal hence no problem of fake products. Secondly I emailed Fuchs Germany because they didn't have hascol on their website but they confirmed hascol are their partners in Pakistan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can go for zic m 15W-40 in sj grade or zipex 10W-40 sj.

Previously I was also using zic but got a fake product hence shifted to Fuchs from hascol pump. Fuchs has sj and sl products both in 20W-50. As its a company operated pump one on shahra-e-faisal hence no problem of fake products. Secondly I emailed Fuchs Germany because they didn't have hascol on their website but they confirmed hascol are their partners in Pakistan.
    zipex has been discontinued. U may use zic 5000 10w40 diesel oil

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

o bhai stick to api sm and sn oils. ppl have been using them and are satisfied. the cam wear would be caused by any other factor. its a new model, new engine technology. The manufacturers would have kept this zddp problem in mind. I believe that the cultus efi can safely withstand the low zddp problem

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    zipex has been discontinued. U may use zic 5000 10w40 diesel oil
    using diesel oil in an efi gasoline engine???? Really?????

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I saw zipex at some shops, so that is why I was suggesting it. Well it might be the fake one.

Hassaaniqbal92 is correct you can also go for zic 5000 which is 10W-40 sl grade or zic sd 5000 which is 15W-40 sg grade.

Diesel oils in gasoline engines are safe if the api rating says so like zic 5000 is cl-4/sl hence it means primarily it is for diesel engines with cl-4 ratings but can safely be used in cars with gasoline engines and sl grade requirements. Many people are using delo gold ultra in their petrol cars as well.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I saw zipex at some shops, so that is why I was suggesting it. Well it might be the fake one.

Hassaaniqbal92 is correct you can also go for zic 5000 which is 10W-40 sl grade or zic sd 5000 which is 15W-40 sg grade.

Diesel oils in gasoline engines are safe if the api rating says so like zic 5000 is cl-4/sl hence it means primarily it is for diesel engines with cl-4 ratings but can safely be used in cars with gasoline engines and sl grade requirements. Many people are using delo gold ultra in their petrol cars as well.
    well I wud stick to 10w40. What would you recommend, zic 5000 or sgo premium api sg???? I'll keep zic m as a backup. And what drain interval should be followed when using diesel oils in gasoline engines???

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There are reasons why diesel engine oils are called so. One should better stick to gasoline oils if he has a gasoline engine. U need not to worry about zddp. Although all api grades including sm and sn are backward compatible, the cam failures have only been quoted in classic muscle cars. All the latest api sm and sn oils are perfectly fine to be used in suzuki engines such as mehran, fx, alto, baleno and efi cultus. U just need to choose the correct viscosity

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The cam would fail again very soon if it is not broken in properly, regardless of whether an SC or SN oil is used.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    The cam would fail again very soon if it is not broken in properly, regardless of whether an SC or SN oil is used.
    Break in was achieved properly

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ayan_cdkey View Post
    There are reasons why diesel engine oils are called so. One should better stick to gasoline oils if he has a gasoline engine. U need not to worry about zddp. Although all api grades including sm and sn are backward compatible, the cam failures have only been quoted in classic muscle cars. All the latest api sm and sn oils are perfectly fine to be used in suzuki engines such as mehran, fx, alto, baleno and efi cultus. U just need to choose the correct viscosity
    Then y did my cam fail in the first place????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List