Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ch.talal

Thread: Cultus Carby: Engine showing loss of power and tappet noise

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    lonewolf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Cultus Carby: Engine showing loss of power and tappet noise

    Hello

    I had the engine overhauled around 40K KM ago. It is showing slight loss of power (like 10%) and tappet noise has increased. I am using Caltex 10w30. In summers I use Zic 10w40.

    Could it be that the oil pump is weak.

    The engine is producing vibration, noise and has trouble with heights (knocking has started).

    Knocking means that clutch plate is fine but engine is having trouble?

    Plugs are checked and they are always red (not black).

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    lonewolf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Still feel like its oil pump. Creates less trouble in summers as temperatures are better but needs to work harder in Winter.

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    ch.talal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf1 View Post
    Still feel like its oil pump. Creates less trouble in summers as temperatures are better but needs to work harder in Winter.
    Loss of power could be related to colder weather. Otherwise, adjust the carburetor and see if it improves. After driving, remove engine oil cap and see inside if oil is present. If oil is there then oil pump is working fine. Knocking might be related to poor fuel. Color of plugs do not tell whole story. Change them if they are old. Knocking will go away.

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    lonewolf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ch.talal View Post
    Loss of power could be related to colder weather. Otherwise, adjust the carburetor and see if it improves. After driving, remove engine oil cap and see inside if oil is present. If oil is there then oil pump is working fine. Knocking might be related to poor fuel. Color of plugs do not tell whole story. Change them if they are old. Knocking will go away.
    Thanks, I'll check the oil pressure this way.
    Can we change oil pump without opening the head?

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    ch.talal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf1 View Post
    Thanks, I'll check the oil pressure this way.
    Can we change oil pump without opening the head?
    Head is never removed in any car to change oil pump. It is located at oil pan at the bottom of engine. Just remove the oil pan after jacking up the car and change that. Place back the oil pan along with its own gasket and you are good to go.

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    lonewolf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ch.talal View Post
    Loss of power could be related to colder weather. Otherwise, adjust the carburetor and see if it improves. After driving, remove engine oil cap and see inside if oil is present. If oil is there then oil pump is working fine. Knocking might be related to poor fuel. Color of plugs do not tell whole story. Change them if they are old. Knocking will go away.
    I opened the oil cap and there was no oil dripping from it. Yes, the oil cap itself gave a wet shiny look. Is that good enough?
    Engine is vibrating and it feels change in noise when windows are down.

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    ch.talal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf1 View Post
    I opened the oil cap and there was no oil dripping from it. Yes, the oil cap itself gave a wet shiny look. Is that good enough?
    Engine is vibrating and it feels change in noise when windows are down.
    Use a torch to look inside the head cover from hole and see if oil is present. Do this after starting car for few minutes and turning its engine off. (do not use phone torch or you would damage its camera lens with hot vapors coming out of engine) In daylight, it should be visible without any artificial light source.

    Engine vibration could be related to weak mounts.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •