Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: oil leakage near inner cv joint- cuore

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default oil leakage near inner cv joint- cuore

    aoa guys,
    need help urgent. I get my car's axle repaired i.e. Goday changed and now after a few days I can see oil leakage around inner cv joints and axle shaft , looks like gear oil leaking.
    What could be cause of this, the outer seals of axle?
    Did the mechanic tried to do trick with me for a second visit? I am really worried. What could be cause of this leakage after refitting axle shaft???


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    hmm... 47 views and no replies... I guess I am the first person on this forum to face this issue....

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Skill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    7,885
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driver_guy View Post
    hmm... 47 views and no replies... I guess I am the first person on this forum to face this issue....
    There are splines on the front axil's inner joint which goes inside the gear box,often untrained mechanics or their labourer neglect in their work and dont check the condition of oil seal (during repair works) which is fixed at the bank of the hole where this shaft has to put in or some times their neglegance while fitting the axil shaft back to the gear box become the culprit of damaging the oil seal lips.

    This seal is located at just behind the splines of axil,see below for ref.


    oil leakage near inner cv joint- cuore -334075
    https://www.facebook.com/skillgrafik

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    iamadee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,827
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Most probably the axle seals are worned out...

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    smijaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,100
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @skill +1

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skill View Post
    There are splines on the front axil's inner joint which goes inside the gear box,often untrained mechanics or their labourer neglect in their work and dont check the condition of oil seal (during repair works) which is fixed at the bank of the hole where this shaft has to put in or some times their neglegance while fitting the axil shaft back to the gear box become the culprit of damaging the oil seal lips.

    This seal is located at just behind the splines of axil,see below for ref.
    thanks a lot for explaining. It must be the mechanic's negligence when fitting axles back.
    One more question, is there good brand of these seals available commonly or should i get it from 3s shop.
    Also if anyone could refer a good mechanic for this in lahore on walton road???

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,403
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    replace the output shaft (axle) seals in the transmission
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Skill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    7,885
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driver_guy View Post
    thanks a lot for explaining. It must be the mechanic's negligence when fitting axles back.
    One more question, is there good brand of these seals available commonly or should i get it from 3s shop.
    Also if anyone could refer a good mechanic for this in lahore on walton road???
    The seal should be of NOK/CORTICO,you can buy it even from IA Traders walton,and for the workshop there are many on walton,like delta motors just beside the sigma land rover motors.
    https://www.facebook.com/skillgrafik

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    replace the output shaft (axle) seals in the transmission
    Thanks Mr Zulfiqar. Do these seals require opening up the gearbox?

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skill View Post
    The seal should be of NOK/CORTICO,you can buy it even from IA Traders walton,and for the workshop there are many on walton,like delta motors just beside the sigma land rover motors.
    Thanks again. Actually I got the axle work done from a freelance mechanic right alongside IA trader shop. I do not want to take it back to him cus he might spoil something else. Anyways I will check the workshop you told.

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    agoodfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,551
    Follows
    9
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driver_guy View Post
    aoa guys,
    need help urgent. I get my car's axle repaired i.e. Goday changed and now after a few days I can see oil leakage around inner cv joints and axle shaft , looks like gear oil leaking.
    What could be cause of this, the outer seals of axle?
    Did the mechanic tried to do trick with me for a second visit? I am really worried. What could be cause of this leakage after refitting axle shaft???
    dear they use a crobar or a kind of big "chariye" to pull the AC joint out from the gear box , this put a heavy load on seal and resulting in damaging the seal , you need to replace it , but use original NOK seals , dont use chinese seals they will fail with in few days , i am also having the same problem in cultus 2006 and i will replace the seals soon , check my form https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/per...erhaul-rebuild , i will replace the CV joints as well and when i will replace i will post there pic as well ,

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    agoodfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,551
    Follows
    9
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driver_guy View Post
    Thanks again. Actually I got the axle work done from a freelance mechanic right alongside IA trader shop. I do not want to take it back to him cus he might spoil something else. Anyways I will check the workshop you told.
    NOK and cortico seals both are good

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @agoodfriend, brother do you know price of noc/cortico seals?
    I guess I better visit montgomry road for this.
    I am looking to do this work soon cus the gear oil has done about 55k kms and I wanna fix the leak before changing it

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    can someone please let me know
    price of noc cortico seals?
    Estimate cost of labour for replacing seals?

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,403
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driver_guy View Post
    Thanks Mr Zulfiqar. Do these seals require opening up the gearbox?
    no just removal of axles
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    bought nok axle seals and got them installed today. Now in the evening I saw even more leakage of oil under the car.
    Need help urgent, what to do now!!!!!

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,403
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    clean the gearbox and engine and see what oil is leaking, engine or gear oil? put your car up on ramps and inspect where the oil is coming from - use a very strong light like a 100W bulb and reflector to aid in vision.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    clean the gearbox and engine and see what oil is leaking, engine or gear oil? put your car up on ramps and inspect where the oil is coming from - use a very strong light like a 100W bulb and reflector to aid in vision.
    ok will check that in the morning. Whats worrying me us that it could be some cracking in gearbox bcus last time the mechanic did some serious hammering to remove the axle...

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Skill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    7,885
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    was it right side axil? or left?
    https://www.facebook.com/skillgrafik

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    driver_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @skill- It was the right (driver side) axle which took some hammering.

    @all
    Anyway I took it back to the 3s, they admitted that they had fitted seals incorrectly i.e. left side's on right and vice versa
    They took both seals out carefully to swap sides, seals were not damaged but the service man showed me that one seal's lip seemed of incorrect size i.e. a bit loose although the seal number was correct. He assured me that it is not due to fitting on wrong side
    God knows better if it was due to wrong fitting or a manufacturing fault in the seal, I did not want to take chance again so asked him to replace both seals with new KOYO seals from their store (previously I had provided them NOK seals).

    Alhamdulillah now the leakage seems to have stopped but will have to wait a few more days to verify

    The whole exercise so far cost me
    NOK seals - Rs 250 from Montgomery Road
    KOYO seals- Rs 1100 from 3s
    Labour - 1100

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •