Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 4x4 Decision Making

Guys!!!

I'd like to ask for your help and guidance regarding my first 4x4 vehicle purchase. The usage of the jeep/SUV will be approx 90% daily office-home commuting of about 20 km altogether and occasional road trips to northern areas with light to medium offroading on those trips.

I have shortlisted two vehicles

1. Jeep Cherokee - 1994 or 1996 model (Petrol 4.0 Ltr)

2. Toyota Surf 1993 or 1994 model (Diesel 2.4 Ltr)

Which SUV will suit me better as per my requirements. My heart says Cherokee while my mind says Surf. I think the consumption of both can be made more or less equal if Cherokee is fitted with CNG for dauly use and use Petrol for northern areas trips. A trusted mechanic friend of mine warns me emphatically against going for Cherokee due to non availabilty of parts. What do the SUV/4x4 gurus at Pakwheels say about this? Please guide on this as I want to make a quick decision on this.

Thanking you all in advance.

Hassan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go for prado dude but it shud b 1KZ (3000 cc) as 2L Turbo (2400 cc) is no doubt the worst engine put by Toyota. n if at all u opt for surf, same goes for its engine as well dont buy 2.4 no matter how much dealers try to convince u.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

To be frank, in your case the Surf would be a much wiser option, but if you are a enthusiast and can bear the pain of importing parts and running costs go for the Cherokee.

fga
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How is the performance of the surf after the 1KZ upgrade, also did you go for the one with the intercooler or without. Partuclarly interested in offroad performance versus your cherokee.

roahamid! my 1kz is without the intercooler bcoz for that i needed to replace the bonnet as well ...the bonnet alone was for 70000 plus i had pay extra 40000 for the intercooler eng. .....as far as offroad comparison goes ...actually there IS NO COMPARISON at all...Cherokee is way too powerful than surf.....

fga
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm

honestly neither are very good options. the cherokee is great fun to drive and overall a great car but parts are a nightmare. a friend (yaheya) had a 4.0L in ISB and he got rid of it only because parts started to become an issue. afterall these are old cars. the surf is a wonderful machine but VERY underpowered and (as mentioned above) the 2.4L in this model is a bit cr@p. if you were in a country where Jeep parts were easily available i'd sugges the cherokee, but since you are in ISB i'd suggest the surf. if nothing else parts and mechanics are not in short supply. remember one thing when it comes to surfs, spec and colour mean everything. get a bad one and you'll regret it forever. Good luck and do take a look at the 2 surfs for sale by sajidd (PW member), the petrol one (V6) looks like an amazing machine.
    again, parts of cherokee are easily available here in karachi and as compare to surf parts probably cherokee parts are a bit more cheaper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List