Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Performance Differnce (Mitsubishi Pajero)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Performance Differnce (Mitsubishi Pajero)

Dear All/Specialy Jan J (lhr),

I want to know the performance differnce/comfart differnce between an Exeed Pajero (1990) model five door intercoller 2.5 Liter pajero & a simple turbo Pajero (leaf spring wali) in same model.

whts the fuel average of an intercoller 2.5 liter & simple turbo engine.Intial difference.Comfort differnce between a leaf spring & coil spring model.Typical troubles of Pajero like heating problems & off course the four wheeling capacity.

Approximate price of a good condition vehical as well.

I know the performance of a 5 door intercoller 2800 cc 2000 model.Its comfortable but heavy on fuel but have no idea for older models.

I am planing to buy one.I need a big SUV which can carry my hunting & camping gear, can be used as a family car.A/c, sun roof & other facilities.Is Diff lock available in 1990 models?

Need suggestions for the same.My max range is 600k.and preferably looking for isb reg number

Looking fwd to you replies

Regards,

fahad
    "Fun Begins Where Road Ends"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No Reply

Storm, Jan-J, Other offroarders bahioo waiting for replies
    "Fun Begins Where Road Ends"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sorry for not replying, must have missed the topic during the weekend.

as i mentioned to you on the phone i think that for your requirements and budget a pajero is a good idea. just try and get a clutch fit to your fan so that you can regain a bit of power and reduce a bit of noise from the engine.

the exceed is a different spec as far as i know, i've always been under the impression the exceed was a high spec euro model but (as often proven) i coudl be wrong.

both leafs and coils are fine, coils are more comfortable but leafs can be changed and altered to your requirements.

rest was discussed with you on the phone.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@offroad

'90 I/C turbo 2.5 pajero with coil springs in a 3 dr is the best option.....all '90 'EXCEEDs' I've come across are body changed with chasis punched usually.....good idea to stay away from them......for six, you'll be real lucky if you find a genuine piece and the owner is willing to part ways with his ride!!! All these years i've never seen a diff lock in the '90 diesels.....consumption is around 8 city 10-12 highways depending on how much you gun it( hits the redline at 4500).....and yes you are right on the 2800....it is a guzzler!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Regarding the engine, you have four variants. Five actually. 4D56 Turbo from the Japanese GenI model, 4D56 Turbo from the Japanese early GenII model (there's a difference in the block, thats it), 4D56 Turbo Intercooler from the English GenI model, 4D56 Turbo Intercooler from the Korean assembled Galloper (this also has an EFI variant) and 4D56 non turbo again Korean assembled from Shahzore (not to be confused with the 4D55). Other variants also come in Delica, L200 etc.
    The 4D56 engine from Galloper is the smoothest of them all, but i've heard that the quality of it's components is not as good as the japanese ones. I've seen quite a few Pajero's with the Shahzore non turbo 4D56 running great too. I myself have used the Japanese 4D56 Turbo engine and the English variant, both. My father purchased a zero meter 1989 LWB turbo wagon which we are still using, and were using with its original engine, without any repairs made to it, till July this year (is gave us 280,000 kms). I replaced the engine in July and installed a 4D56 Turbo from a Delica 2001 and swapped the inlet with that of a 4D56Ti, and converted it to an intercooler. The old engine was giving me some 10km within the city whereas this one gives me 11km! Regarding the heating problem, I've Alhamdulillah never come across such a situation. I've heard many people complaining about the same, but i've never had this problem. I've even touched 160 km/h on this engine on many occasions, and driven over 120 km/h on the Lahore Islamabad Peshawar motorway. What i think is that Pajero stock engines may not have this problem, but if you get the engine overhauled or the head repaired, you might. Coz according to my experience overhauling a Pajero engine is a waste of money. Regarding the four wheeling capacity, my Pajero makes two to three trips to Chitral every year. My village is some 4 hours from Chitral city and is one of the highest, if not the highest, places there. We go there every year, and my Pajero goes as far as the local jeeps can go, which even most Prado's over there fail to do. Be it mud or snow it climbs as good. Not to forget, the back of our car is stuffed, and by far far exceeds its loading capacity.
    That's my experience with my Pajero. Never tried heavy duty offroading though, but i do plan to, if i get a chance.
    Hope that helps.
    P.S. You'll find a good ride well under 600k .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Differential locks were both available and not available in the GenI Pajeros. Depends on the variant.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mharoonkhan

Great experience sharing....post this reply of yours on the 'prado and pajero' comparison thread on the same forum.....would definately help people.
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mitsu_man

thank you sir.
    i definitely will.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some more info about the Gen I Pajero that you might find useful.
    As I mentioned before that GenI's may or may not have differential locks, that was regarding the rear differential. Some variants even came with LSD's as an alternate, but the traction it generates is way lower than the lockers. Secondly, these models did not have center differentials. When you put them into 4WD what happens is that both front and rear axles are locked together. But the GenII's which came with the SS4 technology had both center differentials and locks, and rear differential locks, both of which you may choose to lock or not while engaged in four wheel drive.
    As early GenII's came with a 4D56 engine I think you might find a complete set with the SS4 from a 93-94 Pajero. If you buy a GenI Pajero and plan to swap the engine and transmission, fabrications will definitely be needed to put the transmission in place and accommodate the gear levers plus alterations to the shaft may be made and you might also have to lift/raise the suspension to ensure ground clearance as these gearboxes were slightly bigger in size.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mharoonkhan

Some more info about the Gen I Pajero that you might find useful. As I mentioned before that GenI's may or may not have differential locks, that was regarding the rear differential. Some variants even came with LSD's as an alternate, but the traction it generates is way lower than the lockers. Secondly, these models did not have center differentials. When you put them into 4WD what happens is that both front and rear axles are locked together. But the GenII's which came with the SS4 technology had both center differentials and locks, and rear differential locks, both of which you may choose to lock or not while engaged in four wheel drive. As early GenII's came with a 4D56 engine I think you might find a complete set with the SS4 from a 93-94 Pajero. If you buy a GenI Pajero and plan to swap the engine and transmission, fabrications will definitely be needed to put the transmission in place and accommodate the gear levers plus alterations to the shaft may be made and you might also have to lift/raise the suspension to ensure ground clearance as these gearboxes were slightly bigger in size.

The Gen 1s that didn't come with centre diffs were those with manual locking hubs as far as I can tell. There were three choices of front hubs, Manual locking, Auto locking and permanently locked.

The one that is in my family doesn't have a centre diff and it's got manual front hubs. If you put it in 4WD and drive on-road, you can feel that the steering gets heavier. The centring action becomes much stronger and if you go around a tight corner, it does a crow-hop - the front and rear tires grip and skid alternatively since the driveline is locked together. I'm guessing that in the manual locking front hub variant, there isn't even a front differential, but I may be wrong on that.

As for the LSD, ours has it, and it seems to be pretty good, it helped us climb a 15° grade with one rear tire hanging in the air for a moment - *and we kids were giggling with glee*.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get a 1993 or so Intercooler for around 6-7 lakhs.
    do not drive fast on motorways, let the engine breath (let go of the accelerator for a second) on motorways every 10 15 minutes or so. do not turn it off directly after driving fast, make sure the fan has the clutch engaged, and its not directly attached to the crank (as most mechanics do) and change oil at regular interval. u'll never have a overheating or any other engine problem.
    the 2500cc (4D56) WILL give u around 10kmpl on highway. mine gives me 12 if i drive at an even 90 or so.
    HONDA (hon-duh) (noun) Swahili for "i will get a real car when i grow a real D**k"!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The ultimate engine is the 6G74 but very heavy on fuel. If you want a good daily runner then 4D56 Intercooler is the call to make. Though the million dollar question is to find one in excellent condition. Even if you over haul it put in original parts and have one heck of a mechanic!

Mitsu_Man is the best man for this as he has experienced all the models, variant Mitsubishi has ever made and would recommend to take his advice.

As for the performance of a 4D56 Intercooler it is just great I have an original 90 coil spring SWB and i have taken her to placed where one cant walk and done flat out 160 km for very long stretches- No heating, leaking noises etc nothing at all just smooth driving all the way.

I can very confidently accept any challenge that one would have for the 4D56 Intercooler.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List