Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pajero or Prado--which one is better(Experts Plzz)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Pajero or Prado--which one is better(Experts Plzz)

For a change my fellow pakwheelers... lets get out of corolla civic wars and put our views to finalise which of these (Prado or Pajero) is the best!!! As nowadays many are opting 4x4 SUVs ....

Why from 1986-1992 Pajero was the hot favorite and now the Prado... I guess both are arch rivals if given chance to
    tested against each other... which one do you pick???
    keep all the factors in view -- the off roading capabilities... economy... luxury and accessories... price and maintainence and all round performance..

Here are some videos to make a view of both...

Cars make my blood live...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_MAN

@All

First there was a'chachoo' with prado now enters the 'taya' with a pajero........(no offense intended, just sharing a light one!) The more the merrier!!!

@sami_voodoo @Libra

Please forgive me if I am poking my nose in too much, but would love to be a part of that proposed tea party!!!

@RKR

Any progress on that Lahori V6 price????

Bud, its still around, for 20 lakhs to take home. Are you tempted? After owning that EVO??!!!

RKR
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ qwertypoiu
    That member you are talking about just quoted my previous reply.Pajero or Prado--which one is better(Experts Plzz) - 1
    how did i ever overlooked that
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok, here's the nitty gritty that came out of my day trip to Islamabad. Please bear in mind that I have done similar trips in a Prado 1996 and a LC 100 1995 before. Anything newer wouldn't be fair to compare as then I would have to compare the newer Pajeros also.

This trip came one day after I replaced the badly worn tires on the Shogun I bought. The replacement set were 31s GT Radial Saveros A/T. A good tire, softish and offroad friendly. A little noisy for the highway though.

I was scared of what might happen since I had heard a lot of horror stories about heated up Pajeros on the motorway, so I went equipped. Two 10 liter water carriers, brake oil/fluid, STP power steering oil, Delo Gold mobile oil, my trusty tow strap (my so called "manual winch") and of course a jack and associating components. If all else failed, I was ready to use my trusty cell phone. Just as I was getting in the Shogun, my Iphone slipped and now I have a horrid looking screen. This was not going to be an easy day. Screw Apple!

Filled her up near Thokkar Lahore, 76 liters went in. Pulled the suspension into the medium softness setting, made sure the seat shocks were in soft mode and proceeded to the first toll. Went on and near Sial, I turn on the cruise control at 125km/h. Stopped once for KFC, bloody goons hadn't opened yet. Reached Kallar Kahar, turned the cruise control off and switched the suspension setting into Hard and she climbed like a natural. Just once, I thought, let’s go for it, and then I nailed it, and hit 160km/hr almost too easily. And then I remembered, it’s a Mitsubishi, calm down big boy.

I will tell you this, this vehicle is the most comfortable 4x4 ever, the LC and the Prado were just not nearly as comfortable. However, since this is going to be unbiased, there was more than necessary rattle from within the cabin, and I remember from childhood that that was an issue in every 2nd gen Pajero I sat in. In contrast, the LC i remember was as silent as sleeping child who doesn't snore, but I have ridden several Prados, and they too are notorious for rattle in the center part of the dash, where the AC controls are located.

Enter the verdict. The Shogun was as calm as it needed to be, and never failed to respond when I needed that little extra. It’s a gem for the price you can get a good one in. It doesn’t come without its drawbacks though. The rear view mirror is of little support if you have the spare mounted at the back, horrible reverse positions are inevitable. It’s a guzzler, especially mine, need to get it checked by a diesel lab. I averaged 5.5 km/l on the freaking motorway and 90% of the time, I had cruise control locked at 125km/hr. Revs were at 3100 rpm. The good part is there is absolutely no smoke whatsoever from my Shogun’s exhaust, that just makes it harder to pinpoint the gas guzzling problem. Also, sometimes, just sometimes, if I hit a bump really hard, I get the “check engine” light, just for a split second and then it’s gone. I’m going to have that checked out very soon. The navigational panel in the middle of the dash, you know, the altimeter, the tilt measure and the external ambient temp gauge don’t work like they should. I have no idea how to make the altimeter work, but the temp gauge works fine. The ride height is poor, at least with my Shogun, you have these huge friggin’ side steps, and then ruin at least 3 inches of clearance. If they weren’t there, I would have taken her off road for sure. That’s, perhaps, my biggest issue with the Shogun.

I would appreciate a response to the poor consumption. This is my first ever diesel, so need the gurus to be patient with me.

Overall, I am as pleased as I could be bar the consumption and the ride height bit. I still stand with my earlier assumptions, great value, great looks, great feature set, great 4x4.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sami_voodoo @Libra

Please forgive me if I am poking my nose in too much, but would love to be a part of that proposed tea party!!!

No excuses required! If anything, it's me who should be apologising since I won't be in PK for a while.

@RKR

Do you remember what mileage you used to get for the other 4WDs at the same speed on the motorway? I've done a few "back of the envelope" sums and you're actually not too far off the specific consumption of a typical diesel engine running at that RPM and that load.

Is it A/T? If it is, I'd change the oil and flush the transmission. Maybe there's a bit more slippage in the Torque Convertor?

@Mitsu_Man - does the Pajero have a lockup convertor? If it doesn't, it'll slip and dissipate energy through the transmission oil. Does it have the ATF overtemperature warning light still working? *too many questions*

As for the smoke, I won't be surprised if you can't see smoke even if you're consuming fuel. Turbo diesels with pneumatic/mechanical boost control - like your vehicle - can compensate for extra fuel by increasing boost pressure themselves, so you don't see the smoke. This can have the potential to increase power, but if you've got more tranmission slip, you can't use it. Also, smoke would be difficult to see at such a high speed.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

enjoyed reading the story RKRSHOGUN
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu

enjoyed reading the story RKRSHOGUN

I prefer RKR/MMC, but I think Mitsi should patent the MMC bit, only he deserves it. Thanks bro.

Mitsu, seriously, you should check out if you have a world record.

Pics of the shogun on this thread now:

https://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!121808~ForumID!16~pw.html

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Libra, Sir you are welcome anytime . It will be a great honor to have you here.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sami_voodoo @Libra

No excuses required! If anything, it's me who should be apologising since I won't be in PK for a while.

@RKR

Do you remember what mileage you used to get for the other 4WDs at the same speed on the motorway? I've done a few "back of the envelope" sums and you're actually not too far off the specific consumption of a typical diesel engine running at that RPM and that load.

Is it A/T? If it is, I'd change the oil and flush the transmission. Maybe there's a bit more slippage in the Torque Convertor?

@Mitsu_Man - does the Pajero have a lockup convertor? If it doesn't, it'll slip and dissipate energy through the transmission oil. Does it have the ATF overtemperature warning light still working? *too many questions*

As for the smoke, I won't be surprised if you can't see smoke even if you're consuming fuel. Turbo diesels with pneumatic/mechanical boost control - like your vehicle - can compensate for extra fuel by increasing boost pressure themselves, so you don't see the smoke. This can have the potential to increase power, but if you've got more tranmission slip, you can't use it. Also, smoke would be difficult to see at such a high speed.

[/quote]

Its an automatic tranny. Don't remember what the others in my childhood were getting. Waiting to see what feedback Mitsu has. Let me try changing the tranny oil, something I haven't done yet. One more thing, could a screwed up silencer kee jaali be causing the poor consumption issue. They say it has a leak.

The question remains, should I or shouldn't I, take it to a deisel lab? I just don't want them to screw up anything further.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Rao, I won't recommend taking it to the diesel lab as they set the injectors at stock settings (which are for a new engine). Getting the injectors just serviced and cleaned would be advisable.

A leaking exhaust should not decrease mileage... a blocked one would.
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^^
    Thanks. So it looks like I should change the tranny oil first and then ask for further advice. Will do it tomorrow.

Cheers.
    RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Agreed 500% with @proverbial_slang. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A quick test is to ask someone to film you from behind. Floor the pedal from a stop. If it does not make a smoke screen, no need to change the settings. A little bit of smoke is normal. It means the engine is performaing at its best.

Another thing, I'm guessing the air filter is new or has been changed?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sami- pretty sure there is no smoke. The air filter is absolutely new. Could the air filter be doing some damage?

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I don't think the air filter can actually do any bad for the engine, especially if its new. Its only if its very old and clogged that it would probably inhibit performance.

Well, I'm all out of ideas at this point . Let us know if changing the transmission fluid changes anything.

Oh, and can you remember the fuel mileage the LCs gave you before? A rough idea would be helpful. Reason I ask is because 125km/h for a car of that size is quite a lot. And 3100 RPM is outside of the efficient operating zone. It's near the torque peak, or 2000 RPM that a diesel normally consumes the least fuel.

Founder Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    981 Post(s)
    Tagged
    71 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@raohamid
    Once again Congrates for you new ride. I just read about your trip to Islamabad, 5km/l
    Whenever i am on a road trip i keep a log book, record all milages, fuel cost, etc... This is the average of my Pajero..

National Highway - Speed 80 to 110kms - Fuel average 9.86 km/l
    Motorway - Speed 100 to 120kms - Fuel average 8.50 km/l
    Murree - Speed 40 to 80kms - Fuel average 7.5 km/l
    City - Speed 40 to 70kms - Fuel average 6.9 km/l

As Sami said "More the RPM more fuel it will consume. About changing the Gear Oil In Pajeros it recommended to change it after every 40000kms. I hope MitsuMan agrees with me Go to an expert for gear oil change, he must know how to flush out oil from the Torque Converter(some just drain and refill), also do check the gear oil filter.. change it if needed.

5km/l.. there can be many reasons.. New tires, head wind, 125km/h, load, Pump settings.

Just noticed your Engine RPM, it shows around 950.. shouldnt be 850. (AC on)

Pajero or Prado--which one is betterExperts Plzz -998569

Once again welcome to the Pajero Club.
    Formerly known as Libra. Founder Pakwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@RKR

Man, all this consultancy ain't coming free:-{).....save up for a big dinner!!!!

FUEL AV....Told you it'll be 5-6 city. M'ways....now 125 is not unreasonable but 3100 revs is news for me. At 3K it should do 130!!! Trouble shoot.....Is your O/D working???? Simple test....take her upto 80kms and engage it....revs should drop to just under 2k!!!

TYRES....OEMS....you said you have...31x10.50x15....check again!

AIR/F....Use only VIC....it's the best available as the genuine is not!

SILENCER....On a diesel it usually leaks when it is blocked my friend....exhaust gases have to find a way out remember!!! And less smoke is no citeria as you a an outlet some where in the middle....If it has clocked around 100Ks....good idea to check it up and probably change!!!

BRAKES....CALIPERs.....notorious for jamming up(rust) especially the part of the world where your baby came from and here in Kci too!!! Simple test....after a school/home run put your hand(very cautiously) over each rim....the one too hot is the likely culprit. Have 'em serviced and change caliper kits/pads!!!

SSII.....On the dials....when 2wd only the rear green lights should remain on the rest should go out seconds after the ignition. The front hubs are vacum operated and can be a menace to disengage completely sometimes!!! If the front ones keep blinking, besides being just any elec glitch, it might be a possibility that you(HOUSTON WE) have a problem!!! Apply 4LOW and drive for a few hundred metres....stop....put it in N....remove and go 2H....and reverse for like 5-6 feet....this should work...if it doesn't....switch off and restart the car after 5-10 secs....like a bad dream it should go away....but if it stays....well as the book says....GO TO YOUR NEAREST MITSUBISHI AUTHORISED DEALER.....for a rip off!!!

ATF....if you ask me....NEVER have the pan removed by local mistrees......they screw up mostly and you end up with a dripping tranny....FLUSH is the best....remove the drain nut and let it come out....usually it is 3.5 ltrs....replenish and repeat after 200-300 km.....any used car I buy goes through the same proceedure THRICE.....and it works for sure!!! Afterwards 30-40Ks, as suggested by LIBRA, is fine, depending upon whether you abuse or just use( driving conditions/offroading/etc)! Use only CALTEX ATF....all other brands have doubtful origins....LALAM U.S.A...is one!!!

INJECTORS....tall claims.....DO NOT service....if there is a need put new and genuine....get them from abroad if you can but use originals!

D-PUMP.....if the need arises swap only with a clean looking unopened KABLI unit.....the LAB people are all hit and trial amigo....If the starting is half a click....don't have it tampered with....they for sure will mess it up big time....I mean one can be a bit SMOKEY but would hate long cranks due to a fiddled timing by USTAAD JEE!!!

Hope this helps!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This topic has turned more into a fan club of Pa-jay-ro!

No one interested in the 4800 VTC?
    Nothing to see here.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo

I don't think the air filter can actually do any bad for the engine, especially if its new. Its only if its very old and clogged that it would probably inhibit performance.

Well, I'm all out of ideas at this point . Let us know if changing the transmission fluid changes anything.

Oh, and can you remember the fuel mileage the LCs gave you before? A rough idea would be helpful. Reason I ask is because 125km/h for a car of that size is quite a lot. And 3100 RPM is outside of the efficient operating zone. It's near the torque peak, or 2000 RPM that a diesel normally consumes the least fuel.

Sami, will change the tranny fluid for sure today. At 2000 RPM, I have a feeling I would have reached Islu in 8 hours! I get what you mean though, i should have taken it easy. It was more like 3050RPM, 3100 wsa rouding off to the nearest 100.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Libra

@raohamid
    Once again Congrates for you new ride. I just read about your trip to Islamabad, 5km/l
    Whenever i am on a road trip i keep a log book, record all milages, fuel cost, etc... This is the average of my Pajero..

National Highway - Speed 80 to 110kms - Fuel average 9.86 km/l
    Motorway - Speed 100 to 120kms - Fuel average 8.50 km/l
    Murree - Speed 40 to 80kms - Fuel average 7.5 km/l
    City - Speed 40 to 70kms - Fuel average 6.9 km/l

As Sami said "More the RPM more fuel it will consume. About changing the Gear Oil In Pajeros it recommended to change it after every 40000kms. I hope MitsuMan agrees with me Go to an expert for gear oil change, he must know how to flush out oil from the Torque Converter(some just drain and refill), also do check the gear oil filter.. change it if needed.

5km/l.. there can be many reasons.. New tires, head wind, 125km/h, load, Pump settings.

Just noticed your Engine RPM, it shows around 950.. shouldnt be 850. (AC on)

Pajero or Prado--which one is betterExperts Plzz -998600

Once again welcome to the Pajero Club.

Libra, thank you sho much for welcoming me And thank you even more for your suggestions. I can never be as organized as you.

I will look into the idle RPM issue, will reduce it by 100RPM on A/C. What should it be without AC turned on? 750 RPM?? Off to get the gear oil flushed and the filter checked.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@RKR

Man, all this consultancy ain't coming free:-{).....save up for a big dinner!!!!

FUEL AV....Told you it'll be 5-6 city. M'ways....now 125 is not unreasonable but 3100 revs is news for me. At 3K it should do 130!!! Trouble shoot.....Is your O/D working???? Simple test....take her upto 80kms and engage it....revs should drop to just under 2k!!!

TYRES....OEMS....you said you have...31x10.50x15....check again!

AIR/F....Use only VIC....it's the best available as the genuine is not!

SILENCER....On a diesel it usually leaks when it is blocked my friend....exhaust gases have to find a way out remember!!! And less smoke is no citeria as you a an outlet some where in the middle....If it has clocked around 100Ks....good idea to check it up and probably change!!!

BRAKES....CALIPERs.....notorious for jamming up(rust) especially the part of the world where your baby came from and here in Kci too!!! Simple test....after a school/home run put your hand(very cautiously) over each rim....the one too hot is the likely culprit. Have 'em serviced and change caliper kits/pads!!!

SSII.....On the dials....when 2wd only the rear green lights should remain on the rest should go out seconds after the ignition. The front hubs are vacum operated and can be a menace to disengage completely sometimes!!! If the front ones keep blinking, besides being just any elec glitch, it might be a possibility that you(HOUSTON WE) have a problem!!! Apply 4LOW and drive for a few hundred metres....stop....put it in N....remove and go 2H....and reverse for like 5-6 feet....this should work...if it doesn't....switch off and restart the car after 5-10 secs....like a bad dream it should go away....but if it stays....well as the book says....GO TO YOUR NEAREST MITSUBISHI AUTHORISED DEALER.....for a rip off!!!

ATF....if you ask me....NEVER have the pan removed by local mistrees......they screw up mostly and you end up with a dripping tranny....FLUSH is the best....remove the drain nut and let it come out....usually it is 3.5 ltrs....replenish and repeat after 200-300 km.....any used car I buy goes through the same proceedure THRICE.....and it works for sure!!! Afterwards 30-40Ks, as suggested by LIBRA, is fine, depending upon whether you abuse or just use( driving conditions/offroading/etc)! Use only CALTEX ATF....all other brands have doubtful origins....LALAM U.S.A...is one!!!

INJECTORS....tall claims.....DO NOT service....if there is a need put new and genuine....get them from abroad if you can but use originals!

D-PUMP.....if the need arises swap only with a clean looking unopened KABLI unit.....the LAB people are all hit and trial amigo....If the starting is half a click....don't have it tampered with....they for sure will mess it up big time....I mean one can be a bit SMOKEY but would hate long cranks due to a fiddled timing by USTAAD JEE!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Of course it helps Mr. Encyclopedia.

I'm not paying nothing to no one who owns Mitsubishi

FUEL AV.... I am getting uder that on the Motorway! And yes, it was more like 3050RPM, i was just rounding off. Plus, I have a feeling I may have been at 130 since I have those big MPH numbers and the very small KPH numbers on the speedo. Parallax could have occured.

TYRES..... Yup 31x10.50X15s

AIR FILTER.... Will shop around for VIC, don't know what I have in there today.

SILENCER...... This is a tough one. If I need a replacement, where should I get one from? The local dholki waalas? Bilal Gunj? How can they check for bloackage?

BRAKES...... this is a something that I would have never thought about. Will check today.

SSII.... I am an offroader! Know how these darn things work. But you are right, once in 4 wheel, it disengages the central differential after backing up a few times. Somebody tell me.... I have a lot of experience now with manual hubs, but not so much with auto hubs. Is the 4 wheel shaft, the one that locks in when you lock the hubs and engage 4wd in a manual hub car, is that supposed to be spinning all the time in a car equipped with auto hubs? In my RKR, manual hubs, the shaft is moving when the hubs are locked, when they are free, it will stop spinning. In the Shogun, the shaft is constantly spinning since there is no way I am aware of for freeing the hubs. So I am assuming that the shaft keeps spinning and that is normal for auto hubs, but only when I engage 4wd will it actually lock the axles? Is this correct???

ATF..... LALA MUSA USA is it. I will go search for it

INUECTORS AND PUMP..... will not mess with them unless I have to.

Cheers bro. And thanks for the details. You are a life saver.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ToofaneBatameezi

This topic has turned more into a fan club of Pa-jay-ro!

No one interested in the 4800 VTC?

So sue us! (6) j/k bro'!

The darling of our Middle Eastern cousins! As they say, there's no replacement for displacement. Especially with a big turbo plonked on top...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

User Tag List