Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pajero or Prado--which one is better(Experts Plzz)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Pajero or Prado--which one is better(Experts Plzz)

For a change my fellow pakwheelers... lets get out of corolla civic wars and put our views to finalise which of these (Prado or Pajero) is the best!!! As nowadays many are opting 4x4 SUVs ....

Why from 1986-1992 Pajero was the hot favorite and now the Prado... I guess both are arch rivals if given chance to
    tested against each other... which one do you pick???
    keep all the factors in view -- the off roading capabilities... economy... luxury and accessories... price and maintainence and all round performance..

Here are some videos to make a view of both...

Cars make my blood live...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Voodoo is Voodoo in nature---ambigious ! NIce but very technical

Anyways... suggestio for those going for Rangr rover-- spend more but dont buy models 2006 below.. Jaguar engine sucks until BMw takes in 2006...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dawar

Voodoo is Voodoo in nature---ambigious ! NIce but very technical

Anyways... suggestio for those going for Rangr rover-- spend more but dont buy models 2006 below.. Jaguar engine sucks until BMw takes in 2006...

That's how my brain works, fortunately for me (or unfortunately - depending on who you ask). I just came across a snippet of info and instead of posting a new thread that would've been dead in a few hours , decided to share it here.

Tomfoolery aside, the earliest RRs are actually pretty good vehicles. But if I ever went for one, I'd change the engine. You can go for the original Rover V8, but there are so many conversion kits in the UK, it's better to chose a kit for an engine that you can find in Pk and enjoy modern engine reliability and possibly diesel econmy as well. Anything from a Mazda 3.5 TD to a Detroit Diesel 6.5 twin turbo diesel has been made to fit. The good things about the RRs are the enormous wheel travel and relatively low CG due to the aluminium body so it's very comfortable off-road.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now thats placid!!! Voodooo! Any ways what verdict one should extract from here primarily about Prado's and Pajeros... and then About the Range and LC...

Which one is the most reiable-- good offroader with day to day practicality of economy and luxury!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@dawar
    for your criteria brother, I see nothing that can fill all your interests except a cruiser. Forget economy, none of them will make you any richer.

RKR
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if u have cash then why dont u go for the ultimate thing LX470 / cygnus or even amazon (diesel). It really make pajeros look like donkey carts
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@saaduk

Yup, LX 470 will be better Mighty V8 (y)
    It is impossible to please everybody.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dawar

Now thats placid!!! Voodooo! Any ways what verdict one should extract from here primarily about Prado's and Pajeros... and then About the Range and LC...

Which one is the most reiable-- good offroader with day to day practicality of economy and luxury!

Like you're probably getting by now, I'm probably not the best person to ask for opinions. I tend to weigh each vehicle against its merits. I've got NO brand loyalties. I'm not a fanboy, I can't afford to be in my trade / profession.

What is your definition of an off-roader? Something that can glide over the rough stuff at speed or go through tough axle-twisting speed at crawling speed? For most people, a Pajero will largely suffice. I feel it's more stable at higher speeds over rough terrain, which is what most people might encounter. Contrary to popular belief, the axle flex of a Pajero is almost on par with a Prado's - that is to say, the height one tyre can be raised before one of the other tyres leaves the ground. Although if you want to modify it, the LC is easier since it's got live axles all around.

The IFS gives better steering accuracy on the rough stuff as the unsprung weight is a lot less. As the two tyres are not connected, each tyre is free to act on its own, so the road holding on the rough stuff is much better. I've seen 100 series LCs having the inside front tyre leave the ground going over a light bump in a corner on-road. I haven't seen anything similar with a Prado, but since it has a live front axle, I believe it wouldn't be any better. You'll never see that in a Pajero.

As far as on-road ride quality is concerned, I feel that the Pajero manages to feel firm without shaking you about. It gives you excellent feedback. I haven't driven the new ones a lot, but the older ones give you a very clear picture of what's happening under the tyres.

Engine? People say they overheat and sieze. It's not the fault of the engine. Don't rev it to the moon everytime you change gear. Max torque is at 2000 RPM for most models. Keep it around that RPM maximum if you want good progress with good acceleration. The older MFI IDI (Mechanical Fuel Injected Indirect Diesel Injection) engines could rev to above 5K (I know from experience) and might spin fast enough to destroy themselves if you tweak the injection pump. The EFI ones have a relatively low-RPM torque curve, so you might have a tendency to change gears earlier, that and most are Auto.

As for Toyota engines, I'm not even sure if the Prado engines are any better. I've heard horror stories in both camps. What I can say is this, all diesel engines will suffer if you skimp on maintenance. Saying that such-and-such engine that takes more abuse than another one is a meaningless quality. You should know your cars limits. If you pass them, be prepared to pay the price. As far as siezing is concerned, there's a temperature guage on the centre of the instrument cluster, look at it from time to time, it's there to be seen. If it goes up, ease off. If it continually stays high, have your cooling system checked. Coolant, thermostat, water pump can be changed, purging can be done. It's a good cooling system. A cooling system that can keep the engine cool while keeping the A/C running at 50+°C indicated outside temperature in a traffic jam is good enough for me.

Other issues? Parts availability / price. I can't comment at all on these things. I know for a fact that even though the Pajero parts are relatively expensive, they last a lot longer as well, so the price per kilometer is not any worse than say, a Corolla for example.

Now for the big question, If I were buying a 4WD for the family having a good comfort and good features, I'd go for a Pajero in a heartbeat. It's a more refined vehicle overall I find. The engines are powerful. And as for looks, even though it's a subjective thing, I prefer the looks of the Pajero over the Prado.

Cheers!
    Sami

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sami_voodoo ... ADept assert ! Bravo AmigoB-) It means its rather better to go for a 2400/2800D Exceed-intercooler 1994-1998 model then the LandcuiserII/prado 2400/3000 D 1991-1995... as both have relatively similar price range...

I also prefer the looks of Pajero over Prado before the 120series/2003 model onwards Prado... For the price of a honda city I guess... around 1.3million mint pajeros and prado of the 90s are available..with alot more road presence and off road functionality..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@dawar,

bhai i have driven both pajero 2001 and prado 2003, and trust me the pajero is a master piece from mitsubishi. its triptronic gearbox is just superb, the one i drove was diesel and still it took off very impressively. i like pajero's shape too its very distinctive and looks very solid from outside unlike prado. but the 2003 onwards shape of pajero is less appealing to me coz they have given crystal lights and stuff like that which has made the jeep look like its just meant to be drven on roads, all that solid feel is now sumwhat gone.
    VTEC did not kicked in ooooo

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pajero is way more sexy
    land cruiser is better than pajero
    but prado isnt

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo

2 cents...

Somebody put 2nd gen suspension pieces in a 1st gen and gained a bit of track in the process. although he had to crank up the front torsion bars to combat the increased leverage by the A-arms. The coil sprung rear axle apparently fit in neatly. He also cut up the wheel wells to increase travel without having to worry the tires fouling on the chassis. There's a front link kit available that modifies the damper position to increase travel further, gaining just under an inch in travel on original A-arms. And as it so happens, I can't find the link...

Here you go:

Chris Robinson's 1st Gen Pajero

It gives a passing reference to the fitment of newer suspension pieces.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@dawar

This thread is gettin' pretty ol' now.....it's time to buy one!!!! Alternatively, if surprises ain't your cuppa tea.....ask RKR and get enriched first hand on his experience of switching over from the ever OVER RATED TLC to the PAJERO!!!!

@sami_voodoo

Somewhere hidden deep in your heart, behind that PEUGOT beast, is a soft spot for those THREE DIAMONDS.....good, I like that!!!!:A

@saaduk

Boy wake up.....despite having lesser diplacement, you are welcome to pitch up that LX 470(worthless heavy metal) of yours anytime against the 3.8 MITSU!!! Should be an eye opener!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_MAN

@sami_voodoo

Somewhere hidden deep in your heart, behind that PEUGOT beast, is a soft spot for those THREE DIAMONDS.....good, I like that!!!!:A

Shhh!!! You'll blow my cover!

p.s. When you've had two MMC products in your family for over 31 years, it's understandable.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sami_voodoo

Copied!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mitsu
    Need your help, what kind of mileage should I expecting with the 2.8 4M40 engine in Lahore traffic? Currently I am getting about 5 km/l with the a/c turned up fully (not on economy mode). What should I expect on the motorway?

Please give your honest account and keep an eye out for a 3 door mk2 or mk2.5 for me. I am also banking on the assumption the consumption in downtown Lahore wil be slightly worse than in Karachi's defence/Clifton areas due to lots of stop and go traffic over minuscule distances.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_MAN

@dawar

This thread is gettin' pretty ol' now.....it's time to buy one!!!! Alternatively, if surprises ain't your cuppa tea.....ask RKR and get enriched first hand on his experience of switching over from the ever OVER RATED TLC to the PAJERO!!!!

Well, just for you, Dawar, here's an update.

- I think I made one of the best decisions of my life, and most of the people I have shown it to say the same thing, even though the body of my Shogun is NOT mint, couple of small bumps, had to get the bumpers resprayed etc.

- The emotion in the first point was based on these assumptions:

* I needed a 4x4 for family getaways for the mountains and as a daily driver for the wife. But ever since its been with me, I drive it more than she does.

*I challenge anyone who thinks another SUV is more comfortable, bring on the 200 series LCs.

* The options I got with my 11 year Shogun are amazing, dual ACs, leather seating, center and rear diff locks, an awesome transmission that allows you to shift into 4x4 at a speed of up to 100 km/h (that's not an option, its standard on all Pajeros, Monteros, and Shoguns.), Cruise Control, rear and front foggers, a sunroof, native seven seater (also standard on all 5-doors), power/crawler snow modes, 3 suspension settings, dual airbags, ABS, 4 wheel ventilated disc brakes, adjustable leveling of headlights, dimmers for interior lights etc.

*The drive is second to none, grip is fantastic, suspension is tweakable, drives like a car, very easy to drive, excellent power, try looking up specs on a 1KZ and 1KZ-TE vs the specs on a 4M40 and you'll see what I mean

*Interior room is fantastic, try the rear leg room of the Surfs, Prados and even LCs of similar years (I don't care what numbers on websites say, try it in person)

*This is personal preference, but I have the model with the bulges on the body and the Evo-type front bumper, to me, it looks WAY better than any other SUV of the same year.

Don't view this list as exhaustive, there are a number of other things that make your drive just so much more pleasurable. AND TRY GETTING SOMETHING WITH HALF THE STUFF LISTED ABOVE FOR THE PRICE I PAID FOR A 1998 MODEL!!!

BUT, all good things must come to an end, what I don't like:

- Ride height I feel is less than that of Prados, LCs, Defenders etc of the same year. I hope I can gather up the money to fix this with larger springs in the back, I think its pretty easy to lift a bit with an independent front suspension up front.

- Because there is so much stuff inside the car, stuff rattles at times, but so do the middle dashboards of most of the Prados of the same year I have sat in.

- They are electrically superior vehicles to most SUVs of the same day and age, the problem is, when something is broke, few people know how to fix them properly.

That being said, this will never be my choice for taking on the kind of offroad trips I take my 1991 LC FJ70 for. This is too pretty and too complicated for that. But, if you don't do the kind of offroading I do, this may be a non-issue. But, then I would never take a 1998 Prado for that kind of offroading also I still drive my LC, and hope to keep it for as long as I can. BUT, if I can find a 2.8 3 door Pajero, I may have to make a really tough decision, only because its so much better in the city, whiich is where I am 6 days out of 7 in a week.

Hope this helps, take the plunge.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro to hell with performance and rally. I can beat u on my lx470 everytime when it comes to realiablity, extreme hot looks, extreme comfort and style. Ask any wise man to pick one from lx470 and any pajero even with gold plated emblems, he will choose lx470 if he is a human.

I dont need performace from an suv .That v8 with jasma approved exhaust system sound magical.

good luck with rallyssssssssssssssss
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk

bro to hell with performance and rally. I can beat u on my lx470 everytime when it comes to realiablity, extreme hot looks, extreme comfort and style. Ask any wise man to pick one from lx470 and any pajero even with gold plated emblems, he will choose lx470 if he is a human. I dont need performace from an suv .That v8 with jasma approved exhaust system sound magical. good luck with rallyssssssssssssssss

^o) so you're saying that an LX470 is not a good off roader?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Prado 4.0l V6 petrol all the way(Y)
    - '06 Toyota Belta 1.0L X - '68 VW Beetle 1300 DP - '89 Nissan B12 E16

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@RKR

Bud, fuel consumption in a 4M40 is nightmarish.....A/C, auto tranny and traffic signals/jams don't mix well with the non-efi motor. 5-6 is what you are likely to get. However, things won't be that gloomy on the M'way since it'll rev happily at 2800 fetching you 120 kms/hr and the average is likely to fare better!!! One Q, what tyre size you are runnin'?( you did mention that it was set low?). The OEM is 31 x 10.50 x 15 or 265/70/15.....unless you have 16'' rims as they come in standard in some models with the flared fenders on '98. The 31x10.50 are ones I prefer as they make it stand reasonably taller than the 265s. Anything bigger, or rims with offsets, would set you off a couple of hundred bucks on each fill and would compromise the handling. Yes, it is easier to get lift from those torsion bars in minutes but for the rear, a set of coils from KINGS, ARB or OLDMAN EMU would do the trick( ofcourse with added stiffness and at the cost of that comfy ride....that susp adjuster does help if it works on yours...USE IT). The MK 2 3 dr you are eyeing would make a perfect pair.....I've both and trust me once you start using it you'll never drive the LWB....( the LWB with me is only used for school and wife chores).....the SWB is one zippy/gruntier car and you'll find yourself falling in love with it in no time!!!( Did you talk to Mr. Baig?????)

@Saaduk

Hey....no offense but one's got to be really ****-eyed to say that the LC is looks hotter than the PAJERO......the PAJERO has always beaten the OVER RATED TLC in looks right from the Mk 1.....performance is another area where fruitless huge displacements and V8s made by TOYota couldn't beat the MIVEC V6s from MITSU.....infact it took them almost a bloody decade to figure out the MIVEC/VTEC to come out with their own version of VVTI now.....come on man accept the facts!!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

User Tag List