72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 3B (new), 13BT or 12HT

I am going to peshawar to buy an engine for my 60 cruiser. Pls advise as which one should i buy. While giving your expert opinion do consider max speed, kalar kahar area on motorway, torque, price and lastly the economy factor. The jeep currently has new 3B engine which is with a 5 fwd gear and has a rootery pump.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Noman.
    I would keep the 3B. Not sure why top speed and economy are considerations in your search. After all, it is a 4x4.

I get 310 nm of torque and average 4kms/l at best with the 3F in my engine bay. Is there a better offroad engine? Maybe, but not enough to make the effort to switch.

In my humble opinion, none of the engines will let you down, but traction is more important that engines in my humble opinion.

RKR
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

12ht would do it...lots of wheel spinning...low noise for travelling..gud fuel consumption around 10-11km/l...
    but this engine is rare now....and it come with 24volt generator..

do look for the 1hd non turbo..will serve u gud..
    3b engine is gud but noisy
    same is the case with the 13bt...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

plus 3b and 13bt wont give u high speed traveling on motorways

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

U r right, not much speed either with a 13BT but i have heard that the 13BT reaches the max speed in less time than the std 3B.
    And than the consumption of a 12HT is never more than 7km but a 13BT will give 10 or 11kmh

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff

U r right, not much speed either with a 13BT but i have heard that the 13BT reaches the max speed in less time than the std 3B. And than the consumption of a 12HT is never more than 7km but a 13BT will give 10 or 11kmh

that is bcoz 13bt comes with a turbo so it will naturally gain more speed in less time than the 3b

and about the mileage issue on 12ht i don't know who told u that it'll never give u more than 7km...it wrong...we do have a hj61 and it is givin mileage 10-11km...

i've noticed this that 4x4 owner don't keep their cars to proper tuning level...they won't pay much attention to the engine tune ups

mr rao hamid said his rkr gives him around 4km/l....we had a rkr back in 2008..and it used to give us around 8.km in city and would go to 12km/l on long route...

ppl keep low tire pressures in 4x4 for comfort...which effects a LOT on the mileage,,,

keepin the air filter clean..using original diesel filters, air filters, nozzles, engine oil, even drivin it in the torque range saves lots of fuel...

and i always discuss only those cars which i've driven and tested personally to my best level...i love to tweak and tune a lot...

thnx

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff

U r right, not much speed either with a 13BT but i have heard that the 13BT reaches the max speed in less time than the std 3B. And than the consumption of a 12HT is never more than 7km but a 13BT will give 10 or 11kmh

that is bcoz 13bt comes with a turbo so it will naturally gain more speed in less time than the 3b

and about the mileage issue on 12ht i don't know who told u that it'll never give u more than 7km...it wrong...we do have a hj61 and it is givin mileage 10-11km...

i've noticed this that 4x4 owner don't keep their cars to proper tuning level...they won't pay much attention to the engine tune ups

mr rao hamid said his rkr gives him around 4km/l....we had a rkr back in 2008..and it used to give us around 8.km in city and would go to 12km/l on long route...

ppl keep low tire pressures in 4x4 for comfort...which effects a LOT on the mileage,,,

keepin the air filter clean..using original diesel filters, air filters, nozzles, engine oil, even drivin it in the torque range saves lots of fuel...

and i always discuss only those cars which i've driven and tested personally to my best level...i love to tweak and tune a lot...

thnx

[/quote]

It is a little vain of you to assume that others don't bother with tune-ups. Just so you know, I regularly off road, and after each trip, everyone at my club typically spends 3-4 days at the workshop trying to get the cuts and bruises and engine tuned up to the way it was before the trip.

I will happily gift you my RKR if you can get 8km/l in a similar vehicle in LAHORE traffic, with the AC on throughout and with a 3f engine. In addition, I am posting a link to another thread where I asked a question regarding consumption, you can see that others have had similar numbers. Haven't tried the long route yet, but I can imagine she will be happier cruising at 80-90 kms/hr in 4 gear than she is in the city in. Check out this thread. I also think your analysis of the 12HT is off, it has been known to have better figures than what you suggest. The same person who gets 4km/lt in a 3F got 8.9 km/lt in Lahore traffic in a 60 series. That is excellent I believe.

Let me know who should tune my 3f without a loss in power and can give me 8km/lt.

https://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!106013~ForumID!16~pw.html

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i've seen this link before...and u can well guess all the ppl r givin wild guess....

i would always only discuss on those cars which i had driven and experienced personally....
    i don't know y does ur car gives u 4km/l but...i've told that i've kept one and it did 8km here in isb...
    i was on the LC with 12ht...and went to pindi..in pindi traffic it would do around 8-9km..and in isb it did 10-11km...which we did check several times

now u won't be believing this too that a nissan patrol doin 10-11km in isb with ac on...
    1HD did the same too...
    when ever u come to isb i can eve show u a LC 4.7 2uzfe doin 8-9km in city...and would touch even 10km....but ppl here do complain that their cygnus won't even touch the 7km mark
    all the mileage control is on ur right foot...its all how u pump it...
    else i don't have much experience as i don't have much age yet to experience much...but wat ever the car we've had...i did test it thoroughly

khair i would suggest mr noman to suggest someone senior than me who can guide better
    thnx

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I guess then I need driving lessons, I can never achieve the kind of mileage others claim but I have a feeling that driving in Lahore has a lot to do with it.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid

I guess then I need driving lessons, I can never achieve the kind of mileage others claim but I have a feeling that driving in Lahore has a lot to do with it. RKR

lahore part can be one reason too...and plz don't take this negatively..driving can be the other reason too

a_k
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lahore traffic, Islamabad traffic... I wonder what u ppl will end up in Karachi Traffic, driving from tower to Gulshan in peek hours !!
    If better were within, better would come out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@salman

Rao sb is coming to ISB.So i guess a teaching class will be in session soon.. ,BTW did u managed to sell that yellow CJ5 or still with u ??i have seen her roaming around near firebrigade.
    Qaiser Pal,I have not failed.But found 1 of 10,000 ways which doesn't work.....Toyota driver "I couldn't repair my brakes,so i made my horn louder"..When i was born i was so surprised that i didn't talked to one and half year..since light travel faster then sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak..If u can't convince them,confuse them

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imtishal

@salman Rao sb is coming to ISB.So i guess a teaching class will be in session soon.. ,BTW did u managed to sell that yellow CJ5 or still with u ??i have seen her roaming around near firebrigade.

no...the jeep is still with us

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I guess then I need driving lessons, I can never achieve the kind of mileage others claim but I have a feeling that driving in Lahore has a lot to do with it. RKR

lahore part can be one reason too...and plz don't take this negatively..driving can be the other reason too

[/quote]

Yes, could be, I have been known to have a heavy right foot.

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[/quote]

Yes, could be, I have been known to have a heavy right foot.

RKR

[/quote]

Well now question is, what to tune, RKR or RKR? Solution of both is here in Isloo
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol @Bashartu
    Please tune RKR

RKR

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salman,

I understand and appreciate that you are sincerely qouting the figures on fuel efficiency and highlighting the blessings of driving and living in Islamabad. Unfortunately, life and driving is the capital city is not fundamentally different from other parts of Pakistan or the rest of the world for that matter. Sorry to spoil any ambitions hopes and plans RKR has on his move to the so called dead city

Firstly, I think what is misleading here is that we are confusing "average" long term mileage with "current" short trip mileage. In certain conditions (which include everything from driving behaviour, speed road conditions etc) on short stretches a vehicle may have very high "current" mileage but the more common measure is longer term assessment over possibly a few tanks of fuel.

Secondly, my general view is that, even with all driving skills, any engine above 4,000cc petrol (and for that matter most diesels) in stock form will just not average 8-10 km/l in the city at least on Pakistani fuel. On diesels you could possibly get that, but then your pump will have to be tuned down to an extent that your vehicle could possibly do better with a smaller engine.

Thirdly, with larger engines, if you press it even moderately hard (let alone flooring it!) now and then, there are no limits to what the guzzlers can gargle up. Even in city you occassionally need to call on the power to get to or away from traffic light etc. Lets not even get into what air-conditioner usage does to mileage.... all that would need to be factored your calculation to arrive at a realistic and practical average in-city mileage number.

Fourthly, I take the point to the extent that in Pakistan the majority of diesel engines are geared towards power and performance, but I think it would be very unfair to say that people don't tune their engines in Pakistan. Given the limitations, the majority of diesel engines are very well tuned (even by international standards) and in the best cases they are quite brilliantly modified to adapt to local conditions. And besides, the majority of people following this forum resourseful and experienced in being able to maximize fuel efficieny through whatever hook-jugars and crook-mechanics.

Sorry, no offence meant but I just wanted to share my experience and clarify the full picture. I believe that some more research needs to be done using the net and possibly some standardized tests undertaken, as all of us would be happy to find a way to stretch our milometers as far as possible. I did recheck some figures on the net and found some useful discussion and the following figures for the 100 series LC on the Aussie 4wd forum:

4.5P : 5-6 km/l
    4.7P : 5.5-6.6 km/l
    4.2TD 7.1 -8.3 km/l

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/f44/fuel-consumption-100-series-landcruiser-47407/
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well i won't discussin this anymore...coz i can't really explain this....i even called another friend of mine who also owns a rkr since 1995. and told him about the rkr (raohamid) and he was like no ways that car can go to 4km/l in city...my friend told me his rkr givs him around 6-7km/l in city....

regardin the 4.7 2uzfe...i can only say that i can give u a test drive when u come here to isb...even the hj61...u can measure the consumption of non efi engines by givin them a 1 litre bottle tank...

one more thing
    i recently got a corolla with 4k engine
    this engine gave the best mileage of 8.5km/l at factory tuning with 155 sr 13 tires
    u can check this at http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/3636/ke70/

and my 4 corolla with 195/60/15 is giving me 11km/l
    before the tuning this car was givin me 8.5 km...

i don't know y does this happen to me but Allah is kind with me regardin the automobile stuff

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@noman8ff for power games I would suggest 1UZ and for the power/economy games I would suggest 1HD FTE.
    To all the extreme drivers, please come offroad like ME to keep others safe on the roads.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salman Sb, I will try and drive it with a feather foot to see the results. But, you have to admit, driving the RKR that way is possible for very few people in the world, it asks to be given that extra umph.

RKR

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List