0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Differential Locks n their Purpose

Dear Offroaders

Wanna Know a basic question

what are the Differential Locks and whats their Purpose????
    B all U can B

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

"A differential lock (or diff-lock) literally locks out the differential action, thus forcing the torque to be split equally between two wheels or two axles. Transforming two axles to work as one or two wheels to rotate as if on a single axle can help increase traction in off-road terrain or in a straight line while accelerating hard. "

source: autoevolution
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

"The main disadvantage of an "open" differential is that the usable torque is restricted by the wheel with the least traction. A differential lock literally locks out the differential action and forces torque to be split equally between each wheel (or each axle) for maximum traction. In a rear wheel drive vehicle, for instance, locking the rear differential locks the left and right rear wheels together so that both receive equal torque. In a full-time or permanent 4WD vehicle, locking the center differential locks the front and rear driveshafts together, sending equal torque to the front and rear axles. While locking a differential helps increase traction, it makes steering more difficult on high-traction surfaces because it tends to force the vehicle to travel in a straight line."

source: teambhp
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Diff Lock & its purpose

The concept is quite simple and old . e.g In MF tractors , diff lock for rear wheels is available . It is normally employed when ploughing fields for rice cultivation where the tractor is running in knee deep water most of the times. It gives the required traction as mentioned very clearly by @ STORM

It simply locks the right & left wheel on
    a
    axles and you then dont get any wheel free spinning ( with the other one static with the vehicle being in struck condition). ( sometime even a 4 x4 is not reqd to be engaed if u have rear diff locks )

However , operating diff locks is a tricky business . Dont's are :

1- Not to be employed for longer times

2- vehicle should be directionally strainght ( otherwise axles loading becomes enormous and can lead to high wear)

3- When only rear diff locks are installed , a vehicle might turn over( front lift off) on a steep incline ( offroaders need to be vigilant )

more on diff lock behavious is still a month away when i get my rig going with F / R diff locks

TC

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ahhmmm.... The main purpose of diff locks is to make other vehicles (who don't have them) look like idiots with spinning wheels and over exertion on tough climbs. See recent IJC track hunt video for more details!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ NoWorNeVeR, Diff locks have been discussed in detail in few threads in the past, am posting the link of one of them

https://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!84847~ForumID!16~pw.html

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@NN, Thanks for the link, very useful tech details.

I would however agree with Shuaib ,

Here's another definition, Diff Lock is a function which adds another 40% of confidence in the person driving a 4x4. It is also something which restricts someone to keep the machine like mog parked in garage till the time they are working properly. It is also something for which Mr. DeeDee spent 45 days for searching a "T-Pipe" to distribute oil pressure equally in the fron & rear diff. Team Unimog wrote atleast 5 to 6 pages on the discussion on doing the surgery of mechanical diff locks "DIY.

After the recent IJC track hunt event, most of the Team IJC members are now looking forward to install diff locks in there mahcines. Diff lock is altogether a different experience and real fun is to drive it on the same obstacle with & without locks and feel the difference.
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here is a perfect simple video to illustrate the function of Diffs

I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

some details: All Unimogs have 4x4 with locking front and rear differentials that can be engaged “on the fly” anytime by the driver. Conventional four wheel drive systems only provide power to the wheel with less traction on each axle. In these vehicles, engaging four wheel drive doesn’t actually engage four wheels but rather engages both axles. If one wheel on each axle has little or no traction, the vehicle gets stuck even if the other wheels have excellent traction. Automatic traction control devices such as limited slips, auto locking diffs or electronic traction control, help overcome this situation to varying degrees. However, only manually locking differentials, such as in the Unimog, provide on demand, 100% drive to all wheels

Differential Locks n their Purpose -1010758
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Basharatu..... nicely compiled diff lockers usage... but you miss the digging part/earth viberation by mog

@nomi1234.... very informative vdo....
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani

Ahhmmm.... The main purpose of diff locks is to make other vehicles (who don't have them) look like idiots with spinning wheels and over exertion on tough climbs. See recent IJC track hunt video for more details!

aur clutch plate ki mehakti mehakti khushbo bhi bhi aati hai with diff locks ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aur clutch plate ki mehakti mehakti khushbo bhi bhi aati hai with diff locks ....

[/quote]
    Oh I know thiat smell very well. Few years ago when i first got in to 4x4s.. i had no idea how to use the centeral diff on my Defender and burnt the clutch twice running the vehicle on all wheel drive with the diff open.
    Pakwatan Explorer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@sajidd

lol.... ya when i bought my first 4x4 i take her to test run and tried doing an obsticle without engaging the 4x4 and i was like what the f--k i have bought ....

sir clutch plate ki smell is killing and you can smell that from half a KM....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very informative thread , hum be thooray thooray offroader hootay jaa rahay hain

while installing diff locks in yr vehicle what are the considerations one should take ? or their any ratios involved , or is it just simply to get a diff lock and install it in yr vehicle ?

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Laparwah

Most people when they talk about diff locks mean either rear alone or rear and front diff locks in addition to central one. I doubt you will be able to have diff locks fitted in your mini. I don't even think any after market brand Like ARB would do something like that for mini.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ nomi1234, very informative video indeed.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great utility for offroaders..

Anybody tried to get / do it for MUTT?
    KZ

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn

@ Laparwah Most people when they talk about diff locks mean either rear alone or rear and front diff locks in addition to central one. I doubt you will be able to have diff locks fitted in your mini. I don't even think any after market brand Like ARB would do something like that for mini.

thanks for shedding more light onto the subject , and do we have only two combination arrangments .ie. rear alone or rear and front diff locks in addition to central one?

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by laparwah

thanks for shedding more light onto the subject , and do we have only two combination arrangments .ie. rear alone or rear and front diff locks in addition to central one?

@ Laparwah, its a rather long to explain completely in writing, I am copying/pasting below one of my previous replies in another post (the link of which is mentioned in my initial reply). Nomi's youtube link is a very simplified yet detailed explanation, but it doesn't entirely explain what happens in any ordinary 4X4. Anyway here goes my previous explanation;

Diff locks in 4X4s are: Central, to make sure equal torque distribution to front and rear wheels. Additonally in some vehicles there are separate front and rear diff locks to make sure that equal torque is sent to right and left wheels. Theoratically one would have the most traction with all diff locks engaged, however lots of other things come into play (to avoid wheel spinning/ improving traction) including the tyres and suspension (tyre contact/grip to any surface depends on your suspension, be it off-road or onroad vehicle).

Limitations of full diff locks is that it can be used on only slippery surfaces as wheel speed on all 4 tyres is same. Which mean that transmission is under lots of stress when turning etc because wheels are covering different distances in turns (ouside more that inside tyres). You can actually snap your transmission on grippy surface by constantly turning with full diff locks engaged.

Diff locks are meant to help in avoiding the wheel spins, so you can keep moving forwards (or backwards). Theoretically in most 4X4s, when on steep uphill slope with two wheels on ice/very slippery surface, the vehicle would not move forward, but rather the wheels on slippery surface would keep spinning. So in real term these vehicles are not 4 wheel drive. However if you have full locks on than this could be avoided, as tyres on left and right side can only turn at one speed, so no power is wasted on spinning.

Manufacturers use various other things to avoid wheel spin as well, like Limited slip differential, torsen diff locks, traction control systems etc.

Most Proper 4X4s would have central diff lock. Vehicles with part time 4X4 would by default have centrally locked diff anyway (90% of older 4X4s you come across are only part tiem 4X4, i.e they oldly engage front shaft on demand and not all the time. Soft roaders mostly wouldn't have centre diff lock. Very few 4X4s would offer full diff locks even as an option. G-Wagens have offered them standard from beginning (apart for G500 for some model years), Some models of Jeeps and I beleive Hummer H1 also had them.

As far as I know Defenders and even other land rovers/ range rovers would mostly just have central diff locks. Rear diff locks were I think offered in some defender models recently. Range Rovers and discovery's would have some kind of electronic traction / tyre slip control mechanism installed. But they mostly can make up for that from there excellent suspension.

Landcruisers series 60, 70 and 80 had front and rear diff locks only as an option. In Series 100 only rear diff locks were available, but 105 had solid front axle so it had full diff lock option. Not sure about series 200. I think its similar for old and new Prados.

Maybe we can discuss it further when ever we meet up in any of the IJC offroad events.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys do look in to Aussie lockers, www.aussielocker.com.
    Read great reviews on them on the ih8mud and other forums. Also the pricing is not bad. I got a front one for my 92 Surf.. will install it shortly.
    Pakwatan Explorer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List