Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40

    Hi Guys,

    I am in the process of restoring an army auctioned FJ40. I have rebuilt the original F series petrol engine and 3 speed gear box. Axles, brakes, and clutch have also been rebuilt. Body sheet metal has been preped for paint to my satisfaction. In a week or so it will be painted (Insh'Allah) with Standox 2k "baked paint".

    However, wiring, suspension, and final touches and refinement can only be done by a proper "Jeep ka mechanic". I may also need help in converting to power steering as I plan on running extra wide tires (15 inch rims with 10inch width). I plan on lifting the vehicle 3 to 4 inches. Can someone suggest a workshop or mechanic in Lahore that can help me complete the task.

    Experts out there...kindly help.

    Regards,

    Salman Chaudhry (03009422749)
    Toyota FJ40 (Army Auctioned)


  2. #41
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razazaz View Post
    im going to dubai next week,lemme know if u want me to look up tyres there.

    rgds
    thanks...but not gonna change tires right now. I cant seem to stop it from flooding ....it keeps flooding or "over ho jati hay" as per the mechanic. I am gonna tow it from its current workshop as all work is done to Janj or Aman-ullah...as I need to fix this carb issue..... Raza do you recommend a carb change...? for the f engine the carb costs about 13,000 from chughtai motors. but as per my discussion with you..even new carb runs rich all the time.

  3. #42
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Raza when are you gonna be back ?

  4. #43
    PakWheeler Follow
    razazaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    45
    Posts
    416
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salmanchaudhry View Post
    Raza when are you gonna be back ?
    on friday inshahallah

  5. #44
    PakWheeler Follow
    HamzahF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @salmanchaudhry
    AOA
    Brother i have read through your thread so let me begin by congratulating you for making a good choice for your project. The F motor with the j30 tranny is quite a bullet proof setup indeed. As it turns out i too need help with my 3F carb and many people have told me to look up chugtai motors. Id appreciate it if you can toss me their contact numbers so i can do some cost studies. Thanks and good luck.
    Flat six flattening things out!

  6. #45
    PakWheeler Follow
    asadmumtaz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    47
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Buddy whats the update??? how far along are you with the project?

  7. #46
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    @salmanchaudhry
    AOA
    Brother i have read through your thread so let me begin by congratulating you for making a good choice for your project. The F motor with the j30 tranny is quite a bullet proof setup indeed. As it turns out i too need help with my 3F carb and many people have told me to look up chugtai motors. Id appreciate it if you can toss me their contact numbers so i can do some cost studies. Thanks and good luck.
    thank you.

    Please do keep me posted on what is the best price you got on the carb.

    Chughtai motors number is 042-2407103 and 042-2407104 cell -0300-9444835

  8. #47
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asadmumtaz69 View Post
    Buddy whats the update??? how far along are you with the project?
    almost done mate. having some trouble with engine heating up and it seems the engine head is the cause. will have it looked at soon by someone in Lahore (currently the Jeep is outta lahore)

  9. #48
    PakWheeler Follow
    Cateyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    46
    Posts
    199
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Post some new pics Bro.
    -

  10. #49
    PakWheeler Follow
    Cateyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    46
    Posts
    199
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Post some latest pics bro.
    -

  11. #50
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cateyez View Post
    Post some latest pics bro.
    Will do mate

  12. #51
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    FJ40 at workshop for engine overhaul.

  13. #52
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Low resolution pics

    Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31572 Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31573 Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31574 Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31575

  14. #53
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Here are slighly better picture of the project in its current status

    The Old FJ40 is currently with Amman Ullah at Model Town for tuning etc. I hope a few quick fixes can fix the starting and idling problem, if not, it will require a complete over haul. These are the most recent pictures. As you can see, I have tried to keep this old 1967 model as original as possible.

    Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31956 Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31957 Advice on restoring Toyota FJ40 -31958

  15. #54
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    DeeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,029
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    MashaAllah... bohat ala Salman.... keep us posted with the development....
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

  16. #55
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    MashaAllah... bohat ala Salman.... keep us posted with the development....
    Thank you for the encouragment. The project is moving ahead....but very slowly.

  17. #56
    PakWheeler Follow
    WakasArshad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    31
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    The project seems to be coming along quite well.
    Hi how much is the price for an army auction Fj40?

  18. #57
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WakasArshad View Post
    Hi how much is the price for an army auction Fj40?
    Price depends on model and trim of the vehicle along with other factors such condition and completeness of accessories. The range in my opinion is from Rs.160,000 for an old model with some missing parts (ie wind shield or carb etc) to late model running FJ40s with all accessories intact for Rs.250,000 plus. I remember that a while back Diesel versions (BJ40) with 3B engines demanded a premium price of Rs.350,000. I am sure their demand and thefore price has come down substantially. In one of the Army auction yard that I visited last week the diesel BJ40 was being sold at a lower price than a newer model petrol FJ40.

    However, I do not recommend the FJ or BJ to you as you are looking for a very fuel efficient 4x4. A MUTT / M151 with a 2c or 3c is far more fuel efficient than an BJ. FJ was never known for its fuel efficiency I believe folks out there are probably getting close to 5km per liter on the FJ's with fully tuned and/or new carbs.

  19. #58
    PakWheeler Follow
    WakasArshad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    31
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salmanchaudhry View Post
    Price depends on model and trim of the vehicle along with other factors such condition and completeness of accessories. The range in my opinion is from Rs.160,000 for an old model with some missing parts (ie wind shield or carb etc) to late model running FJ40s with all accessories intact for Rs.250,000 plus. I remember that a while back Diesel versions (BJ40) with 3B engines demanded a premium price of Rs.350,000. I am sure their demand and thefore price has come down substantially. In one of the Army auction yard that I visited last week the diesel BJ40 was being sold at a lower price than a newer model petrol FJ40.

    However, I do not recommend the FJ or BJ to you as you are looking for a very fuel efficient 4x4. A MUTT / M151 with a 2c or 3c is far more fuel efficient than an BJ. FJ was never known for its fuel efficiency I believe folks out there are probably getting close to 5km per liter on the FJ's with fully tuned and/or new carbs.
    Thanks, the M151 seems like a better option.

  20. #59
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hsumbal1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,427
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @razazaz

    AoA

    Raza I am planing to buy and restore an FJ40.

    I have shortlisted one in lahore. It is a 1968. It has a lot of rust but you can not call it an entire rust bucket. It nither has an engine nor a Gear box, but this doesnt affect me as I plan to have either 1HD or 13BT engines.
    The guy is asking 170,000 for it. Is it fair?
    I would also like to talk to you on the project. I will be GR8ful if you let me know ur cell number so that I can call you.
    My email is mhaks@hotmail.com

    Thanks a lot
    -

  21. #60
    PakWheeler Follow
    salmanchaudhry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    46
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default price

    Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    @razazaz

    AoA

    Raza I am planing to buy and restore an FJ40.

    I have shortlisted one in lahore. It is a 1968. It has a lot of rust but you can not call it an entire rust bucket. It nither has an engine nor a Gear box, but this doesnt affect me as I plan to have either 1HD or 13BT engines.
    The guy is asking 170,000 for it. Is it fair?
    I would also like to talk to you on the project. I will be GR8ful if you let me know ur cell number so that I can call you.
    My email is mhaks@hotmail.com


    Thanks a lot

    Salman here...check your email about the right price

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •