3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Jeep History

I know there are many Jeep Lovers on this site who often love to have some info about Jeeps. Here is the good news for them. I am just going to put here the history of the Jeeps since its first Pilot Model “ Bantam 1940”.

I will be posting 1 by 1.

1940 Bantam Pilot Model:

Jeep History -469542

Using the term that has become generic in the English language, this is the undisputed first "jeep." Built by the American Bantam Car Company of Butler, Pennsylvania, it was delivered to Camp Holabird, Maryland, on September 23, 1940.

It would "go places where tankers quit and birds would go back exhausted." *****Willys MB*****

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1965-73 DJ-6:

Jeep History -629144

The longer-wheelbase DJ-6 version of the two-wheel drive DJ-5 Dispatcher 100, was produced in small numbers from 1965-1973. The rare example seen here is part of the Historic Civilian Jeeps Collection of Jim and Peg Marski. It's a 1968 model with a two-speed automatic transmission behind the F-134 engine.
    It would "go places where tankers quit and birds would go back exhausted." *****Willys MB*****

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1966-1973 Jeepster Commando:

Jeep History -629145

Kaiser Jeep recycled the name of the 1948-50 Willys Jeepster (and the late-50's Willys Commando fire truck) for this sporty vehicle, first produced in September 1966 for the '67 model year. The C-101 Commando was, however, a closer relative of the Jeep Universal than the earlier Jeepster had been. On the chassis of a CJ-6 were four body options including roadster, station wagon, pickup, and power-top convertible. The F-head four was standard, the Dauntless V-6 optional, and available features included automatic, power brakes, air, and Deluxe Trim. Andy McGrath's Commando is from 1972, when AMC stretched the wheel base slightly to fit the inline six and the 304 V-8.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1976-1986 CJ-7:

Jeep History -629146

The CJ-7 offered a compromise between the CJ-5 shortie and the long-arm CJ-6. With a 93.4-inch wheelbase, it was just long enough for room and comfort but short enough to get down and dirty on the trail. It has proven a popular rig on all fronts. A total of 379,299 units were built in just 10 years of production; 1976-79 models were available with the hi-po 304 AMC V-8. The extra wheelbase also allows for a wider variety of drivetrain modifications than does the CJ-5.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1977 Jeep II:

Jeep History -629147

The late-seventies trend toward fuel economy and smaller vehicles prompted this "Concept Jeep II" prototype, which stylistically was very reminiscent of the Willys MB. Unless seen side-by-side with the CJ-5, it is hard to believe that the Jeep II is two feet shorter and nine inches lower. At that time, Renault had not yet purchased American Motors, and AMC couldn't afford the cost of developing an all-new Jeep to the production stage. They eventually discarded the idea of simply shrinking the CJ, and in the early eighties began the development of the Wrangler.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Voyager Brother, this post is so good that it should be on that bold section on the top of website. This is very good, I myself am a fan of Jeeps. When I was a child, the local Irrigation officers used to come to our village on these Willy's Jeeps and I'll run after them for long, just to have the smell of its burning fuel while eating the dust it left behind on my face. My mother will beat me after she will see how dirty I will be after that. I was always dirty, I know that some of you might say that why would I run after cars and jeeps like dog but I can only say one thing, if I was going to be young kid agian, I'll do it again & again. Period.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1981-1985 CJ-8 Scrambler:

Jeep History -629148

After the CJ-6's demise in 1975, there was another cry by owners for more room. AMC answered with the CJ-8 "Scrambler." Built as a 103-inch-wheelbase pickup with lots of rear overhang, the CJ-8 came in hard- or soft-top models. A steel hardtop version was exported to Australia, and reportedly 176 insulated panel delivery units with automatic transmission were sold to the U.S. Postal Service for use in Alaska.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Troy Brother,

Thanks for appreciation. I myself Love Willys, it was my child hood dream to own and drive Willys. I owned 3. Out these 2 were 1942 Willys MB and 1 1952 M38. You may have seen the one I put in Salarzae’s Topic “Jeeps Jeeps”.

As I saw there R many Jeep Lovers so thought of putting the History of it. Good to know one more Jeep Lover.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1986-1996 Wrangler YJ:

Jeep History -629149

With CJ sales lagging in the mid-80's, AMC responded with the Wrangler. Lower and wider than the CJ, the Wrangler was not looked upon as a "real" Jeep by the fans, but gradually it won them over and has proven to be a capable and adaptable design with a personality all its own. What it lacked in out-of-the-boxability, it more than made up for in adaptability: with an immense variety of aftermarket development devoted to it, the Wrangler is a four-wheeld Erector set.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1988-1995 Wrangler Long:

Jeep History -629150

This unusual long-wheelbase version of the YJ Wrangler was popular in Venezuela and was still made by Chrysler in small numbers as late as 1995, in the city of Valencia. The steel hard top was available on both short and long Wranglers until 1990, and then became unique to the long version. Both versions used the same 4.2L (until 1990) and 4.0L sixes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1991-1993 Renegade YJ:

Jeep History -629151

Although it followed in the tradition of upscale trim options first seen in the Tuxedo Park, the 1991 Renegade was an unprecedented $4000 package that radically changed the appearance of the YJ. Unique features included front body-color bumper and wrap-around fender skirts with integral fog lamps, sound insulation in hood and firewall, 15x8" aluminum wheels, and available red hardtop. The new 4.0-litre I-6 engine with fuel injection was standard.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1997- Wrangler TJ:

Jeep History -629152

Starting with the basic Wrangler platform, Jeep engineers gave the little utility the most thorough working-over since the Quad evolved into the MB. Virtually nothing was left untouched. The coil-spring suspension makes this the best-riding and best-performing out-of-the-box Jeep ever built. The TJ has been garnering rave reviews since its debut in early 1996, and it appears that Jeep has just begun making the Wrangler a more appealing sport-ute. The TJ is proving to be an extremely adaptable trail vehicle.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1997 Dakar:

Jeep History -629153

Jeep designers made room for rear doors by stretching this prototype's wheelbase to 108.5 inches, almost 15 inches longer than the Wrangler. The drivetrain featured a four-speed automatic transmission behind the 4.0 liter inline six. It also had a new windshield, side glass, and steel roof with built-in tubular roof rack and sliding canvas sunroof. The interior was trimmed in wood and leather. Other features on the Dakar included a folding shovel in the front fender, jerrycans on the tailgate, and an adventure module inside the rear door with a night vision scope, binoculars, flashlight and compass. Experience with this concept vehicle was used in the development of the Liberty SUV which hit the market four years later.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1997 Icon:

Jeep History -629154

The Icon prototype is wider and shorter than the Wrangler, and has wheel travel increased from eight to 10 inches. Although it has a unibody construction with an integrated aluminum rollcage, it keeps traditional Jeep design elements such as the grille, exposed hinges and door handles, and folding windshield. Icon Designer Robert Laster says he was inspired by high-end mountain bikes. Its seats are exposed aluminum tubes supporting waterproofed leather upholstery. It has a 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine, a 5-speed transmission, and double wishbone suspension.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very interesting read
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Rahid Bahi,

R U Levin it. Lolz

Cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2001 Jeep Willys:

Jeep History -629155

This concept, introduced to the public in early 2001, has a carbon-fiber body (which in theory would be a plastic-injection-molded body in production), on an aluminum frame, making it not only lightweight, but highly recyclable. It has a 95-inch wheelbase and 12-inch ground clearance. The 2,900-pound (1315 kg) curb weight of the Jeep Willys concept allows a 15:1 weight-to-horsepower ratio, with DaimlerChrysler's 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, supercharged to deliver 160 horsepower and 155 lb.-ft. of torque. The four-speed automatic transmission is coupled with a shift-on-the-fly transfer case with full-time four-wheel drive and low-range modes. Suspension is independent short-and-long-arm in front, and multi-link solid rear axle, with coil-over-shock set-up and sizeable 22-inch wheels with P235/840R560 PAX white rubber tires.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yup levin is right here,
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2002- TJL:

Jeep History -629156

This long-bodied military version of the TJ was shown at European Camp Jeep in 2002, and appeared to be a prototype created by placing a lengthened Wrangler body on an original long-wheelbase frame. Wheelbase is 115.4 inches (2931mm), and overall length 174 in. (4419mm). Probably aimed at markets such as the Middle East, where Chrysler had success selling the YJ to various armies, this Jeep had military details including side-mounted jerrycan holder, pintle hook trailer hitch, and lifting rings front and rear. The 16-inch steel wheels carried 225/75 R16 tires. Engine was the 4-liter inline six with the 5-speed transmission, with a 2.5-liter diesel planned as an option.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Rashid Bahi,

I ment "R U Lovin it"? I guess U R.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2004- TJ Unlimited:

Jeep History -629157

As of the middle of the 2004 model year, this stretched version of the TJ Wrangler was released in North America. The Unlimited took a slightly different approach than the long military TJ, adding 5 inches of rear overhang but much less space amidships. Overall length of the Unlimited is 170.4 in. (4328mm) but with a 103.4 in. (2626mm) wheelbase -- a foot shorter than the military version. Initially available only with automatic transmission and Command-Trac four-wheel-drive behind the 4.0L inline six, the increased wheelbase boosted the rated towing capacity to 3500 lbs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List