Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cholistan Rally 2010 experience

(Pinks) MOD EDIT:
    Cholistan Experience video

The video is 30 mins

Dear Friends,

We had a splendid trip to Cholistan this year. Its was our first time being a rally participant. The atmosphere was charged and so were NN and myself. NN drove his LC 100 series whereas i was in Pajero 2.5 TDi. Both were running stock with roll cages being installed as a mandatory requirement. Navigators were; Pink Panther and Fishak and ground support and flag off was done by Laparwah. Thanks guys for making this event a success.

From the very begining it was decided that we would not be competing for the podium but would focus on endurance. The intention was to finish the rally in one piece and in peace and this is exactly what we did.

Will be posting pics and videos as we move along....

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40899

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41974

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40901

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 46147attach

more videos all in good time

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Bugzy.......hahahahahaaha another difference 0.5 M VS 5.0 M ( you got to have sleepless nites with this enormous difference

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@desertdevil

Great going......sure am glad to see that faithful old PAJERO up and running rallies again.... though I wish had some more time on my hands to prepare it properly for the rally...a mere two day prep, is by far, very poor standard even for an offraod trip, what to talk of a rally!!! The on job crash 'electrician' course you underwent courtesy of this pajero is palatable when you recall the date of birth of this old jalopy, amigo.... you did good there too....welldone and keep flyin'......SAFELY!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by desertdevil View Post
    @ Bugzy.......hahahahahaaha another difference 0.5 M VS 5.0 M ( you got to have sleepless nites with this enormous difference
    Doc Sb has a lot of explainin to do ...

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Bugged for Life....Easily Distracted by Land Rovers

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Desert Devil n Bugzy

First of all thnx for appreciating the value of my LC by so much.
    Secondly Desert devil do I need to remind you that you chose to take a 0.5M Pajero vs a 2.5M Prado you could have taken!!!

By the way, I have nothing against the Pajero (remember I used to have one for nearly 7 years and the Jump I made on that one was no less than you see here, I will put them up side by side for comparison. Ask any one (all 5) on the morning of registration all of us had serious doubts about it even making it to registration, but miracles do happen, and this was one!

Bugzy, love the rollcage, real macho look, but problem is rear door can't be opened with it, and ask the rear paasenges, all of them ended complaining of various joint pains, due to various contorsions they had to do to get in and out!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default For Desert Devil's and Bugzy's eyes

This one from just this gone Saturday from Cholistan Rally Qualifying

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41719

This one going back 23 or 24 years ago

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41720

DesertDevil, this old one may have never participated in a rally, but sure looked part of one!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41721

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Bugzy, love the rollcage, real macho look, but problem is rear door can't be opened with it, and ask the rear paasenges, all of them ended complaining of various joint pains, due to various contorsions they had to do to get in and out!
    Ok .. ya .. had a look at the pics again ... hmmmm .. im sure there must be a way around it ...

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Bugged for Life....Easily Distracted by Land Rovers

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Was going to post up some more pics from qualifying and the race. There were some real beauties there, and there were some ugly trucks as well. All the pics that are gonna follow now were captured by Burhan Kundi urf LAPARWAH by my camera. Thnx a lot once again. I have resized and post-porcessed some of them before posting up. Hope you will all enjoy them. Please ignore if any are repeats, or look familiar, afterall we were all snapping the same vehicles on the same track ;-)

Actually my plan was I was just gonna post the pics, but pakwheels server is so slow that I am just writing up as I go along and even the first batch of fives haven't completed uploading yet. Well maybe I will go and upload them on our IJC site first. OOOh, first batch uploaded, here we go!!!!!!!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41847 tCholistan Rally 2010 experience -41848 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41849 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41850 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41851

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The middle one here, i.e 3rd snap of this batch of five is DeserT Devil's Pajero Turbo Intercooler 2.5 close to finsish line during qualifying. It posted an excellent time in qulifying considering they launched and probably travelled quarter of the lap while the hand brake was still on!!

Some more trivia while I wait for slow server to upload the pics. The difference in qualifying time between LC and Pajero was roughly 16sec, and we had 35 vehicles in between us, i.e my qualifying position was 35th and Pajero was 71, pics uploaded, here we go

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41852 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41853 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41854 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41855 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41856

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The lexus coming now in first pic was beautifully prepared, it had a 3 inch lift kit, hugely thick coil spring at the back. It had the 4.7 V8 petrol engine. It was completely stripped inside for weight reduction, internal roll cage. It had a nasty thump during fast recce run on friday and damaged the wheels and suspension, but they managed to resurrect it. This in in qulaifying, note such low tyre pressures to help cope with soft deep sand!

After that are the Mitsubishi Pajero Evo, i am told approx 2100 were built in all, 11 are in Pakistan and i think 9 were in the rally. The yummy part is that I crossed 4 Evo's during the rally, needless to say, they were broken down and parked on the side when I waved past them

I would also add here that I did qualify ahead of one Evo, I don't care if he missed a gear or a turn or made some other mistake, I was ahead of him in the qualifying and did finish ahead as well

Yar, this batch of pics are still not uploading, I am actually aging in this process. Ohhhh here we go!!!!!!!!!!!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41857 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41858 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41859 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41860 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41861

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

@desertdevil,pinkpanther,nn,fihsak

Congrats!!! you guys are in fast lane now, keep it up & lovely action pics.
    What makes 4x4Engaged? special is to discover secret places others cannot reach! ✓

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Evo coming up in first pic belongs to Mohammad Ashraf, he won Cholistan in 2008, very nice gentleman, unfortunately he is having rather unfortunate run in the rallies , he has either crashed or broken down in last 4 rallies. He was very kind and we had a long chat about various aspects of rallying etc. His evo also brokedown, some clutch problem, before check point 3, I can only imaging how frustarting it can be

While waiting for pics to upload, I will narrate anothe incident during race. I was overtaken during the rally by a fast Vigo, beause of the amount of dust cloud one has to really slow down afterwards to be able to see properly. We thought he had gone way ahead as I was just cruising to finish. But 20 minutes later saw him parked on the side with some tyre problem, he didn't come back after that!!

Here we go again.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41862 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41863 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41864 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41865 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41866

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Suburu Imprezza coming up proved a bit of a disappointment from my point of view, it did reasonable qualifying (should have been better, I think, 2 fast straight runs) Its shocks / suspension broke down during the race, I don't know how its performance was up until the time it broke down. The Nissan Safari 3 door was mosnter with 4800VTC engine and full rally spec preparation. I think it did well in race.

The 3 door Green Pajero I understand was 3500GDI, it broke its rear suspension during the rally and came back limping, rather with its rear boucing up n down in a funny way

Here we go!!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41867 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41868 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41869 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41870 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41871

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41873 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41874 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41875 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41876 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41877

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I had written a full PhD thesis while waiting for above pics to upload, but in the end managed to navigate away from the page in error and lost it all.

The escudo / vitara above looked cool with its rear doors and tailgate removed for weight saving. Don't know hoe it performed in the rally.

This red evo also broke down in later half of the race.

My race launch above was probably the most understated because of auto transmission and fairly silent exhaust. It did go stinking fast when pushed though.

Here in this batch you see Nadir Magsi arriving back to finsih his rally in first position, followed a while later by Ronnie Patel's Evo. This silver evo qualified behind me!!! Yeyyyyyy

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41878 eCholistan Rally 2010 experience -41879 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41880 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41881 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41882

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Excellent Coverage!

Congrats to NN, Desertdevil, Fishak, Pink Panther & Laparwah on successful participation & completion of the Cholistan Rally 2010.

2 good Coverage indeed by the rally team and very well written . Keep them coming!

Another thing I noted from previous posts is that most of the "rally tuned" vehicles had reliability issues!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Excellent Roll Cages

Very well designed and built roll cages, hats of Dr. Ehsan for LC 100. Internal roll cage for paj was looking good as well, we have MashaAllah highly skilled people in Pakistan to do such fabrications!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Desert Devil's launch was delayed because of the motorcycle accident on the track.

Here the man himself MR BURHAN KUNDI, urf LAPARWAH having himself snapped with some really fast drivers (Ronnie Patel and Me ) he also had apic taken with Nadir magsi, but it turned up badly out of focus!!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41883 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41884 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41885

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is the final batch of pics from me, from both my camera's.

I have passed the vdo clips to pink panther to edit and upload.

This last set just shows the Nadir Magsi's winning LC. Its supposed to have 4.2Turbo diesel 1HD engine which is prepared and chipped etc to 550bhp (i am told). No wonder the bugger goes so fast, I know he does have brilliant control over the vehicle, but you still need the vehicle to be able to go fast to show you can control it !!

One again a million thnx to ALMIGHTY for giving us this oppurtunity to participate and bring us back safely.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41886 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41887 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41888 GCholistan Rally 2010 experience -41889 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41890

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

great pics and commentry doc....looks like you are back with the energy....i have somewhat recovered and my Pj is with a neuro surgeon for some minor issues.

Nadir's vehicle came back shinning clean lol....unusually clean for a rally participating vehicle. Anyway the guy is a great driver with some kick a$$ control on it..hats off to him and ofcourse to Sheikh Ain Ain Qatari

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good going doc , Mashah allah lovely pics of LC flying , and many thanks for the kind words i am ready to shoot another event for u in the heat and dust of cholistan hahaha.

as per the tradition i am suppose to say Good words about the team work and the fun we had and yup it was one of the most exciting trips of my life.

pajero ke aisi ke taisi , pajero eletronics were behaving like WAPDA , weird , but still i love the 3 diamonds it is a wonderful machine otherwise.

Many many thanks to asad , shahzad , kashif and nadeem for making this trip possible.

@DeeDee inshah allah bro we shall meet on mud rally

cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

User Tag List