Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cholistan Rally 2010 experience

(Pinks) MOD EDIT:
    Cholistan Experience video

The video is 30 mins

Dear Friends,

We had a splendid trip to Cholistan this year. Its was our first time being a rally participant. The atmosphere was charged and so were NN and myself. NN drove his LC 100 series whereas i was in Pajero 2.5 TDi. Both were running stock with roll cages being installed as a mandatory requirement. Navigators were; Pink Panther and Fishak and ground support and flag off was done by Laparwah. Thanks guys for making this event a success.

From the very begining it was decided that we would not be competing for the podium but would focus on endurance. The intention was to finish the rally in one piece and in peace and this is exactly what we did.

Will be posting pics and videos as we move along....

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40899

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41974

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40901

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 46147attach

more videos all in good time

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lovely pictures Doc.. The explanation was very good as well. The coverage was excellent as well. Makes me think about the next one. .
    Ehsan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good show DesertDevil and NN ........ I like the spirit.

Have a few questions;
    What's the average speed on the track ?
    I see that you guys had All Terrain tires, would sand tires be beneficial in your opinion ?
    TLC FJ90 SWB ~ 1KZ-TE ~ 50mm OEM Lift

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sarmadqureshi View Post
    Good show DesertDevil and NN ........ I like the spirit.

Have a few questions;
    What's the average speed on the track ?
    I see that you guys had All Terrain tires, would sand tires be beneficial in your opinion ?

@ Sarmad, firstly thnx for the appreciation.

Your questions have no clear answers, average speed, well the fastest I hit was 147-8kmph, I am told the front runners were easily hitting 170+. Track had lots of straights (streteches of 25km+) and than narrow twisty bit and finally very soft slow sand almost crawler bends near many check posts. When one says straight, it just means straight ahead, i.e no left and right, but its constant up and down, doesn't feel bad at 90-100, at 130-140 it was my LC all over the track with stock suspension, requiring constant and vigilant corrections through out. And you can well imagine 160-170 would be a different ball game.

No official final time sheet still available to me, very poor show by TDCP in this regards, no one knows anything in their Pindi, Multan, Lahore or Bahwalpur offices. I have requested Qasim Saidhi to pass details when he gets it. So true speed average would become clear than.

However word of mouth was that Nadir magsi did the 226km track in 2hr 21 minutes, Ronnie Patel was a minute or two behind time wise. That makes it 226km in 141minutes = 96kmph.

I don't know my exact full time, but do know my first half time, which was 110km in approx 87minutes. Forgot to stop the stopwatch at end of rally in excitement of finishing :-). Anyway that works out around 75kmph, which I think is pretty good. Afterall we had never planned for any kind of positions. The good old dialogue would fit here nicely, " meray chotay chotay bachay hain" so had to play it real safe, especially as we had no experinece and we were clever enough not to even bother with a recce, which every one will tell you is a must!

We did the rally in true professional CRUISING style, we kept the AC on part of the way, it gets bloo... hot in the helmet with closed windows! than we had Abida Parveen, Reshma and Anup jalota Ghazals playing in the back ground, and later on we had a full on kareoke session as well !!! ;-) Fishak was busy making vdos during the run.

Finally the tyres, well, most high end vehicles had BF Goodrich all terrain, they must know something. Mine were standard road tyres in stock size, Michelin 275/70 R 16 on original 8 " rims. the tyres were H rated so safe theoratically till 210kmph. Most mud, snow and sand tyres come in Q or R rating, i think thats 160-170kmph, I would be too uncomfortable going at 140+ in those with such little margin, given the amount of resistance the sand generates consiquently the heat production and chances of high speed blow-out! Anyway the H rated tyre gave me an option of very briefly flirting with top speed of 190kmph on the way back at M2.

Theoratically a good sand tyre would give you decent help. But bottom line is you need plenty horses under the bonnet, extremely strong suspension to take the pounding and finally generously sized titanium oval/ round things (somebody described as Stainless Steel Kahunas) on your body to actually push the damn thing to the limit !!:-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    @ Sarmad, firstly thnx for the appreciation.

Your questions have no clear answers, average speed, well the fastest I hit was 147-8kmph, I am told the front runners were easily hitting 170+. Track had lots of straights (streteches of 25km+) and than narrow twisty bit and finally very soft slow sand almost crawler bends near many check posts. When one says straight, it just means straight ahead, i.e no left and right, but its constant up and down, doesn't feel bad at 90-100, at 130-140 it was my LC all over the track with stock suspension, requiring constant and vigilant corrections through out. And you can well imagine 160-170 would be a different ball game.

No official final time sheet still available to me, very poor show by TDCP in this regards, no one knows anything in their Pindi, Multan, Lahore or Bahwalpur offices. I have requested Qasim Saidhi to pass details when he gets it. So true speed average would become clear than.

However word of mouth was that Nadir magsi did the 226km track in 2hr 21 minutes, Ronnie Patel was a minute or two behind time wise. That makes it 226km in 141minutes = 96kmph.

I don't know my exact full time, but do know my first half time, which was 110km in approx 87minutes. Forgot to stop the stopwatch at end of rally in excitement of finishing :-). Anyway that works out around 75kmph, which I think is pretty good. Afterall we had never planned for any kind of positions. The good old dialogue would fit here nicely, " meray chotay chotay bachay hain" so had to play it real safe, especially as we had no experinece and we were clever enough not to even bother with a recce, which every one will tell you is a must!

We did the rally in true professional CRUISING style, we kept the AC on part of the way, it gets bloo... hot in the helmet with closed windows! than we had Abida Parveen, Reshma and Anup jalota Ghazals playing in the back ground, and later on we had a full on kareoke session as well !!! ;-) Fishak was busy making vdos during the run.

Finally the tyres, well, most high end vehicles had BF Goodrich all terrain, they must know something. Mine were standard road tyres in stock size, Michelin 275/70 R 16 on original 8 " rims. the tyres were H rated so safe theoratically till 210kmph. Most mud, snow and sand tyres come in S rating, i think thats 160kmph, I would be too uncomfortable going at 140+ in those with such little margin, given the amount of resistance the sand generates consiquently the heat production and chances of high speed blow-out! Anyway the H rated tyre gave me an option of very briefly flirting with top speed of 190kmph on the way back at M2.

Theoratically a good sand tyre would give you decent help. But bottom line is you need plenty horses under the bonnet, extremely strong suspension to take the pounding and finally generously sized titanium oval/ round things (somebody described as Stainless Steel Kahunas) on your body to actually push the damn thing to the limit !!:-)
    NN bahi .. very nicely explained .....
    Umer Siddiqui ... Inline Six .... ** 2JZ-GE **

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very nice pics by laperwah and processing by nn
    commentary is excellent
    Alpha Romeo 156

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
    Congrats to NN, Desertdevil, Fishak, Pink Panther & Laparwah on successful participation & completion of the Cholistan Rally 2010.

2 good Coverage indeed by the rally team and very well written . Keep them coming!

Another thing I noted from previous posts is that most of the "rally tuned" vehicles had reliability issues!

Thnx Basharat for your kind wishes. Appreciated

Regarding reliability issue, you have to keep in mind most of these rally particcipants have done numerous rallies on these vehicles which takes its toll. Any repair done was probably done locally and may have JUGARS in it. Secondly if you push anything near the limit, you are bound to cross the tolerance limits at times and hence the increasing possibility of breakdowns. All the top level races, be it rallies, motocross, F1, Moto GP Lemans 24 hrs and many other all have reliability issues purely because they are pushing it to the limit.

It was my first time, and we were very clear, we were in it to finish and hence I drove at only 70%, and we finished, however if and when I participate again, would I really want to just finish or would I push the envelop? A turn taken may be 5km faster than possible and you are done!

I was in LC, many people there including 2 separate evo owners said, LC has much higher tolerances (component breakdown/ failures) compared to most others, and many asked me to push it a bit and i would be fine. And at times I did push it, howelse would I be doin 145+kmph on rough track, but I did feel LC rear end feeling more lose after midway of race, so even LC with it stock suspension cannot take that much pushing / pounding. I think more than 3/4th vehicles there had come with stiff springs n dual shocks, and even they had issues. Mine was a soft to medium settings standard single shock and spring, what more could I have wanted than to finish safely!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dude i have gift for u send me ur email address on adnan.siddiq@gmail.com thanx adnan

z06
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

oway huay...cool ..looks like i am in live race..
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness never bought a CORVETTE "

..::Z06::..

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Have managed to find some more pics. They may look similar, but are done at various exposure settings. It was such a lovely site looking at the huge Darawar Fort at night with some lovely lighting, was just trying to capture the true dramatic effect it gave.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42646 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42647 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42648 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42649 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42650

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The firework display was awesome as well. Should have made a vdo of it!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42651 .Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42652 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42653 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42654 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42655

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some more of the lovely firework display.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42656 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42657 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42658 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42659 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42660

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Last few of fire works

The friday evening function, where the open draw took place to decide the qualifying runs positions. Qasime saidhi waiting for his turn, and in the group photo discussion going on about various aspects of rallying between ex-champions Qasim Saidhi and Mohammd Ashraf, while rest of us listen attentively.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42661 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42662 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42663 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42664 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42665

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Also at the function many other well known faces of Rallying in Pakistan, Here Sardar Hasan and Nadir Magsi. The Islamabad famous Four Quartet awaiting to hear their turn for qualifying.

The spare air filters that i took along for the qualifying, race itself and return journey!

Finally the huge Hummer, it was just a spectator and not a participant of rally.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42666 aCholistan Rally 2010 experience -42667 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42668 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42669 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42670

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here another champion driver Ronnie Patel after completing rally returns to Paddock. Desert Devils Launch from a different angle. After that Desert Devil and Pink Panther just ready at the launch pad for their start.

Nadir Magsi with Laparwah, Photographer proved to be true Laparwah by not bothering to take snap in focus. Nadir with fan!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42676 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42677 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42678 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42679 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42680

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

great pictures keep em coming
    RIP

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Qasim saidhi waiting to start his rally

Ronnie patel returns in his Mitsubishi Evo to finish the rally, with our national flag fluttering high in the foreground.

The blue wheels on Imran Magsi's Nissan safari

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42686 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42687 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42688

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One of the most complete and AWESOME sequence captured by Laparwah!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42689 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42690 aCholistan Rally 2010 experience -42691 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42692 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42693
    Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42694 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42695 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42696 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42697 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -42698

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have been passed this amazing capture by one of our fellow Pakwheelers. Am extremeley grateful to him for sharing. Here you can see what I meant earlier by saying the need to have Stainless Steel Kahuna's :-). So now let there be no doubt that Qasim is a true high flyer!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43154

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

!!!!!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!

I have just been made aware of the Rally final result by Qasim. I am pleased to share with all that we managed to secure a decent 9th position in our group of 20 vehicles. And am doubly chuffed that we finished ahead of a Magsi, on the track!!!

Desert Devil has finished 12th in his category. Well done!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Well done...!

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    !!!!!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!

I have just been made aware of the Rally final result by Qasim. I am pleased to share with all that we managed to secure a decent 9th position in our group of 20 vehicles. And am doubly chuffed that we finished ahead of a Magsi, on the track!!!

Desert Devil has finished 12th in his category. Well done!
    Congr8 NN & DesertDevil on ur positions, although it was ur first experience but u ppl did gr8 job. hats off to u guys
    "Roads ? Where we are going we don't need Roads.....! "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

User Tag List