Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cholistan Rally 2010 experience

(Pinks) MOD EDIT:
    Cholistan Experience video

The video is 30 mins

Dear Friends,

We had a splendid trip to Cholistan this year. Its was our first time being a rally participant. The atmosphere was charged and so were NN and myself. NN drove his LC 100 series whereas i was in Pajero 2.5 TDi. Both were running stock with roll cages being installed as a mandatory requirement. Navigators were; Pink Panther and Fishak and ground support and flag off was done by Laparwah. Thanks guys for making this event a success.

From the very begining it was decided that we would not be competing for the podium but would focus on endurance. The intention was to finish the rally in one piece and in peace and this is exactly what we did.

Will be posting pics and videos as we move along....

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40899

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41974

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40901

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 46147attach

more videos all in good time

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That's huge jump

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I have been passed this amazing capture by one of our fellow Pakwheelers. Am extremeley grateful to him for sharing. Here you can see what I meant earlier by saying the need to have Stainless Steel Kahuna's :-). So now let there be no doubt that Qasim is a true high flyer!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 43154

This is amazing stuff ...
    The possibilities are endles ... all you need is a 4x4

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Janj/Bashartu.......thanks guys....appreciate your kind words..

@ Sarmad....... well my average speed was pretty slow as compared to NN. initially i was maintaining 80-110km/hr but then at one lift off i broke the battery holder clip.....had to tie the battery with a elastic and tied it to the hood hinges and to the internal roll cage. lost good 15 mins... the second shocker came at the 50th km when after another lift off my temp needle went dead. That place onwards we had absolutely no clue what is happening at the engine end. i reduced the speed to 60-80km/hr. Then came another shocker where my clutch kit gave in. i had to literally lift the clutch up with foot and then shift and tried maintaining the speed in one gear...shifting gear was no more a luxury for me....the last shocker was infact a very funny one where initially i and Pink panther were cursing each other but then later were laughing our butts out.....the wind shield washer motor short circuited. It would only activate when pushing the throttle or on turning the steering to the right. Now that would happen every 3 second and took more then 20 mins for the washer bottle to go empty. we couldnt stop either since these were the last 20 kms...

Mechanically the vehicle behaved very well but the electronics......

anyway despite of whatever happend, we did finish Alhamdollilah...

to the tyre pressure....i was maintaining 19 psi throughout the rally and was running 235/70/15.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@nn and desertdevil and all the pakwheelers who participated in rally

Heartiest congrats guys!!! I hope you guys make it to top 5 next year InshAllah!!! All the best!!!!
    "Value has a value, only if its value is valued"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

!!!!!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!

I have just been made aware of the Rally final result by Qasim. I am pleased to share with all that we managed to secure a decent 9th position in our group of 20 vehicles. And am doubly chuffed that we finished ahead of a Magsi, on the track!!!

Desert Devil has finished 12th in his category. Well done!
    wow thats a good achievement.

its like a stock LC auto coming at 9th
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thnx Basharat for your kind wishes. Appreciated

Regarding reliability issue, you have to keep in mind most of these rally particcipants have done numerous rallies on these vehicles which takes its toll. Any repair done was probably done locally and may have JUGARS in it. Secondly if you push anything near the limit, you are bound to cross the tolerance limits at times and hence the increasing possibility of breakdowns. All the top level races, be it rallies, motocross, F1, Moto GP Lemans 24 hrs and many other all have reliability issues purely because they are pushing it to the limit.

It was my first time, and we were very clear, we were in it to finish and hence I drove at only 70%, and we finished, however if and when I participate again, would I really want to just finish or would I push the envelop? A turn taken may be 5km faster than possible and you are done!

I was in LC, many people there including 2 separate evo owners said, LC has much higher tolerances (component breakdown/ failures) compared to most others, and many asked me to push it a bit and i would be fine. And at times I did push it, howelse would I be doin 145+kmph on rough track, but I did feel LC rear end feeling more lose after midway of race, so even LC with it stock suspension cannot take that much pushing / pounding. I think more than 3/4th vehicles there had come with stiff springs n dual shocks, and even they had issues. Mine was a soft to medium settings standard single shock and spring, what more could I have wanted than to finish safely!!!
    I heard from fishak that LC 200 was cruising back in the same fashion the way it went inn. I would call this debut a flying start and knowledge you have shared are hard to find rally notes, really appreciate the detailed responses you have been giving to everyone & best of luck for the next!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    wow thats a good achievement.

its like a stock LC auto coming at 9th
    Bingo!!!!

That's excellent performance indeed!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by desertdevil View Post
    @ Janj/Bashartu.......thanks guys....appreciate your kind words..

@ Sarmad....... well my average speed was pretty slow as compared to NN. initially i was maintaining 80-110km/hr but then at one lift off i broke the battery holder clip.....had to tie the battery with a elastic and tied it to the hood hinges and to the internal roll cage. lost good 15 mins... the second shocker came at the 50th km when after another lift off my temp needle went dead. That place onwards we had absolutely no clue what is happening at the engine end. i reduced the speed to 60-80km/hr. Then came another shocker where my clutch kit gave in. i had to literally lift the clutch up with foot and then shift and tried maintaining the speed in one gear...shifting gear was no more a luxury for me....the last shocker was infact a very funny one where initially i and Pink panther were cursing each other but then later were laughing our butts out.....the wind shield washer motor short circuited. It would only activate when pushing the throttle or on turning the steering to the right. Now that would happen every 3 second and took more then 20 mins for the washer bottle to go empty. we couldnt stop either since these were the last 20 kms...

Mechanically the vehicle behaved very well but the electronics......

anyway despite of whatever happend, we did finish Alhamdollilah...

to the tyre pressure....i was maintaining 19 psi throughout the rally and was running 235/70/15.
    With all this happening to paj, securing 12th position is remarkable performance. U have proved that you are the real Desert Devil

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

On behalf of team DD n PP and team NN n KK (seriously there is no story behind this one, its just worked out that way) I would like to thank ALL for their extremely kind and encouraging words and wishes.

And we are all also extremely thankful to ALMIGHTY for all his blessings upon us.

I have reworked the actual average speed according to the results published. Now it works out 100Kmph for Nadir Magsi for the whole race distance and 72kmph for myself. Desert Devil's average of 62kmph is actually not a true reflection of his speed during the race due to some unlucky stop overs. I am sure he would have been pretty close to my time if his car was behaving properly.

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For those who are interested. Just been going through the final results and worked out some of the vehicles the way they finished in category A. These are the ones I had pictures of so just compared the numbers on the side.

1, LC 4.2
    2, EVO
    3, Safari VTC 4.8
    4, Wrangler 4.0
    5, Grand Cherokee 4.7
    6, ?
    7, Nissan Safari
    8, Wrangler 4.0
    9, LC 4.5
    10, LC 4.7
    11, EVO
    12, ?
    13, ?
    14, ?

Apart from that 4 EVOs failed to finish

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@saidhi: Aap podium see ooper hain !

@nn and desertdevil: Congrats once again for finishing in style and now also for such excellent positioning.

@nn: There is obviously something wrong with your list Sir, as I see three lousy American Jeeps (two of which had reportedly broken down) finishing ahead of the fastest TLC.....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@desertdevil

Hope the 'neurosurgery' on the paj goes well and she is back up again on all her fours!!! Frankly, when you look up her ODO, the old lady deserves a retirement plan!!! Perhaps you can realize the podium hitters are the ones with multi million cars which this ol' jero cannot take on.....moreover there were other people, again with multi million cars, who went DNF....so amigo, consider yourself lucky to finish on this BARE equipment you had....it did serve you well!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    @nn: There is obviously something wrong with your list Sir, as I see three lousy American Jeeps (two of which had reportedly broken down) finishing ahead of the fastest TLC.....
    Oyee Suhaib, sub say ooper kya hai, furst poosition par TLC hai. Waisay Abhi vdo dekh kar confirm hua a kay 6th walee bhi TLC 80 series 4.2 1HD hai.

Khair, I have no anamosity towards Jeep at all, The Jeeps I think were only in Category A, 4 wranglers, 2 broke down. 2 finsihed well as above, The cherokee was a monster as I told you, its 4.7litre unit was tuned up or something, it was hitting 155-160, where I was doing 135 on full throttle. As far I can work out there were 6 TLC, n 2 broke down, one was an 80 series with 1FZ like mine, and another one was 100 series from Dubai, LHD, again with 1FZ. Both had heavily modified suspensions and internal roll cages etc, n unfortunately both had suspension failures.

Apart from 4 EVOs failing to finish there was one 3 Door Pajero with 3500GDI engine, whose rear shocks broke. I think Nissan finsihed both their vehicles in category A. Can't recall any other Nissan in any other category. All other categories only had Mitsubishis Toyota and Suzuki's and off course one Suburu.

I will post up the pics in the finsihing order, later on, in category A only. That way people can see what/ which finished where!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Mitsu_man......thanks bro..the faithful ol'jero is back in action and is not willing to retire for another couple of rallies Electrical issues sorted out and is all ready to rock in rally mode

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

NN, aap to serious ho gayey, mein to mazaaq kar raha thaa Khair mazaaq hee mazaaq mein deikhein kyaa rang nikley hain:
    Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43615
    BTW for the record, it took me 15 mins to do this as I had most of the data in excel. Based mostly on wiki data (obviously for stock vehicles) and off the top of my head assumptions on N. Magsi Cruiser based on what I feel is realisticly possible with a 1HD and chopped TLC80 frame. Sorry guys, I don't have the Safari and Mitsu numbers at hand, but would be nice to have these in here too...what do you think?

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    NN, aap to serious ho gayey, mein to mazaaq kar raha thaa Khair mazaaq hee mazaaq mein deikhein kyaa rang nikley hain:
    Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 43615
    BTW for the record, it took me 15 mins to do this as I had most of the data in excel. Based mostly on wiki data (obviously for stock vehicles) and off the top of my head assumptions on N. Magsi Cruiser based on what I feel is realisticly possible with a 1HD and chopped TLC80 frame. Sorry guys, I don't have the Safari and Mitsu numbers at hand, but would be nice to have these in here too...what do you think?
    Yaar serious tau yahn koi ho nahin sakta, par banda kisi ko thori der khush tau honay deta hai!

Khair your figures require slight amendment.
    My 1FZ has 225bhp at 4600rpm, and 387nm at 3400rpm. A subsequent VVTi version of 1FZ has 240bhp as well

Looked up the 4.7 in Grand Cherokee, it also comes in high output version called HO which is 265bhp and 450nm at similar revs

Nissan VTC 4.8 makes 250bhp at 4800 and 420nm at 3600

The Pajero-Evos make 260-280bhps in different variants. Torque approx 350nm.

Magsi's cruiser is unknown territory or may be more of a myth, two EVO drivers I was sitting with mentioned 500+bhp. Story goes that it was initially built to compete in Paris Dakar Rallye, some how through various channels, it ended up being gifted to Nadir by the shaikh from UAE.

Another interesting fact was that the first two Vigo's 3.0 D4-Ds of Category B were much faster than Nissan VTC4.8, Wrangler 4.0 and Grand Cherokee 4.7. Even the 3rd and 4th of Category B (again Vigo's) were neck n neck to the the above three!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So here come the the vehicles position wise, i.e how they finished in category A. (I have been able to work these out from the snaps I have). All these snaps were very kindly taken by Burhan urf Laparwah from my camera.

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43624 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43625 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43626 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43627 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43628 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43629 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43630 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43631 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43632 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43633 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -43634

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well i must say these are highly moded vehicles and when one talks about mods then No one can say how much hp one is pushing unless he sees the setup him self(if he has the eye).
    and one should consider others myths and roomers
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

...par banda kisi ko thori der khush tau honay deta hai!
    Kaisee baat karte hain aap Sheikh Jee , aisee koi intention nahin thee, please gustaakhee maaf karr dein. Aap ne to kutch bolne ka nahin choraa

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have been passed this amazing capture by one of our fellow Pakwheelers. Am extremeley grateful to him for sharing. Here you can see what I meant earlier by saying the need to have Stainless Steel Kahuna's :-). So now let there be no doubt that Qasim is a true high flyer!

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 43154
    OH MY GOD.

Enough said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

User Tag List