72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Weight difference of steel and alloy rims

I just want to know the approx weights of the following single rim of 60/ 62/ 70 cruisers

1. Stock steel 16 JJ rim, 5.5" wide
    2. Stock steel 15 JJ rim, no idea of width. I think its more than 5.5".
    3. Stock alloy 15 JJ rim of VX limited, like HJ 61's, 7.5" or 8" wide. And other normal cruiser alloy rims.

Has anyone ever weighed these rims. Here its very commonly said that the steel rims are much heavier than the allow rims, so how much would be the weight difference?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In my experience of having weighed various tire and rims, a standard 15 inch rim with 31 inch tires weighs around 20-25 kg (lets say from steel to aluminum rims and various makes). Although variations are important but it probably does not matter all that much as internationally people run anywhere between 31-37 inch rims on stock 4x4s with slight modifications....more important to match overall tire height with gear ratios in my view, particularly as even stock Toyota machinery is rugged enough to handle most sizes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank god some one replied. Suhaib bhai, thanks for the details. Do u really think that wider tyres have any negative impact on the suspension or for that matter bigger tyres? (Other than the stiffness of the steering)?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Noman Bhai: To be honest, I am still a bit unclear about the benefits vs drawbacks of taller/wider tyres but here are is my 4 cents based on my current views:

1. Suspension Strain: Yes, bigger tires in general do strain the suspension more than smaller tires, however most 4x4 vehicles (particularly Toyotas) are rugged enough to bear these strains without anything breaking off (unless something is on the verge of breaking anyways, in which case: Yes, you will break it soon enough). You probably would end up changing parts like bushes and shocks a bit earlier than you would on smaller tires.

2. Ratios: Taller tires effectively change the gearing ratios of the 4x4 which depending on your setup may or may not be in your engine's comfort zone or your personal preference zone.

3. Handling: Bigger tires do improve on and off-road handling by a fair amount making the vehicle safer at high speeds and allowing you to do clear obstacles with confidence.

4. Ride: My current view is that correctly set up, bigger tires should improve the ride quality of the vehicles unless they are worn out or stiffened with age. In addition, if the rims are too wide for the tires, this results in a bumpier ride.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Noman Bhai: To be honest, I am still a bit unclear about the benefits vs drawbacks of taller/wider tyres but here are is my 4 cents based on my current views:

1. Suspension Strain: Yes, bigger tires in general do strain the suspension more than smaller tires, however most 4x4 vehicles (particularly Toyotas) are rugged enough to bear these strains without anything breaking off (unless something is on the verge of breaking anyways, in which case: Yes, you will break it soon enough). You probably would end up changing parts like bushes and shocks a bit earlier than you would on smaller tires.

2. Ratios: Taller tires effectively change the gearing ratios of the 4x4 which depending on your setup may or may not be in your engine's comfort zone or your personal preference zone.

3. Handling: Bigger tires do improve on and off-road handling by a fair amount making the vehicle safer at high speeds and allowing you to do clear obstacles with confidence.

4. Ride: My current view is that correctly set up, bigger tires should improve the ride quality of the vehicles unless they are worn out or stiffened with age. In addition, if the rims are too wide for the tires, this results in a bumpier ride.

Nice Info BTW,

My point of view is that every car gives its best output on its stock rims & tyres, if you start applying your desi engineering techniques, the result will be different & sometimes creates misconception about any car resulting in car swap etc
    There are other factors also
    If you use a heavier rim & wide tyres, it will be a burden on engine, resulting in poor fuel economy, suspention problems, shock prob. etc and difference in drive too

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kamilali View Post
    Nice Info BTW,

My point of view is that every car gives its best output on its stock rims & tyres, if you start applying your desi engineering techniques, the result will be different & sometimes creates misconception about any car resulting in car swap etc
    There are other factors also
    If you use a heavier rim & wide tyres, it will be a burden on engine, resulting in poor fuel economy, suspention problems, shock prob. etc and difference in drive too
    Thats fair enough. I guess it depends on how you approach the issue and what your preferences, driving style and requirements are.

I have similar views with respect to stock tires and rims on my daily drive car. But when it comes to performance vehicles and upgrades, stock stuff (including rims and tyres) will not necessarily fit the bill.

I think the key point is that unless you get high end products in decent shape (which we rarely do around here) you will be struggling to match the stock performance and in the worst case probably end up with issues you have mentioned above.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post

'

Thanks, point no 1 explains the issue very deliberately. I knew that, ratios, handling and ride gets effected but suspension strain was also very important to understand.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List