Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Questions about buying used car (4x4) in Pakistan

Hi all....

I have been following your excellent forum for a while. I want to buy an offroader and was interested in something like an FJ40.

- This will be my first vehicle purchase in Pakistan, so any/all advice will be appreciated
    - Not sure about Pakistani dealers but from my experience, most used car dealers cannot be trusted. So let me know about any pitfalls in dealing with dealers/agents.

Thanks.....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Umars1,

Its the same as buying anything, if you are not hands-on with something that you want, then anyone selling could take you for a ride.

Its good that you have been following the forum here; suggest you keep on following it and once you are sure what you want and are aware of ALL the nitty gritty stuff involved in it, only then approach a dealer.

The FJ40 is a good choice to start with, but if you have little knowledge on what you want, then you might get palmed off.

Remember that most of the FJs are recent (last 2 year) military auctions. 1st thing you need to see is when it was auctioned and when was it registered (advisable to go for a registered one)
    Most people who picked up complete lots had them made, put in diesel engines, buffed up the paint job and put them up for sale. Those are a definate NO NO for a 1st timer, as you'll be spending most of the early 6 months of ownsership getting things fixed.

Suggest you go for some that has been used by an individual as a personal vehicle and is selling to upgrade etc etc. You might have to pay a premium on such vehicles, but they would cost you cheaper in the long run, unless you want to replace major components like the engine or transmission.

I'm afraid, there's no standard price list for these vehicles, as each one is unique in its own term and shows it too. So start off with a budget & keep an extra 50k cushion in that.

Good luck.
    TLC FJ90 SWB ~ 1KZ-TE ~ 50mm OEM Lift

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the info 'sarmadqureshi'. You provided valuable tips. I am still searching for a good 4x4. If needed, I will ping you again.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam,

I agree with samad bhai's advice.. before jumping into the Jeep thing read alot about Jeeps

I myself rebuilt a CJ5 back in 2007.. resbuilding a Jeep is a difficult job but i enjoyed it alot.. made me a mechanic too .. now im planning to upgrade to a 40 series toyota.. if you want a trouble free Jeep to start with.. im selling my CJ5... here is the link to the add

https://www.pakwheels.com/used-cars/...walpindi-96511
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Something about the 40s nowadays I guess.....even gets Akif to post!!!!!!!

I second Samad sahib's view that the best place to start for someone looking to buy a well maintained restored vehicle owned by a seasoned offroader like Mr. Janjua.

It is not only advisable and worth paying a significant premium for vehicles such as Akif's rig but also fully justifiable in light of the tremendous time and effort it takes to fix all the gremlins and get these vehicles to prime form.

Furthermore please bear in mind that simple things like "you just have to get the 4x4 shaft installed" and "oh the suspension needs a bit or work" are never really Rs 10k affairs anymore. Even apparently minor jobs can end up sucking up 30k-50k if they are to be done right.

Lastly, I would recommend that before one sets a-foot in the vintage 4x4 arena and takes the plunge by buying the most eye candiesh truck off the street, one should invest some time in finding the right mechanic in his town. Some would also say that one should also find the right sort of help to keep the horse shiny and groomed but lets leave that for later shall we...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And look what I found>>