Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap (Saaduk)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap (Saaduk)

Hi guys,

My latest project is swapping a 1UZFE in 95 Land Cruiser II. The car is under progress and currently having some issues with it. If not resolved then ill go for 2UZFE.

Hope you guys like it.

Here is the video of rev limiter bouncing!!
    YouTube - Saad's Land Cruiser II V8 1UZFE

My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -62544 My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -62545 My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -62546 My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -62547
    My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -62544

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    What's the world got against 1UZs? Anyways not that I complain helps keep prices down low. Yup buy th 1FZs, cost more than a lot of cars these days, but no never modify. Not on PW at least.
    I think its the high reving nature of the 1UZ, people who hate the smell of burning clutch plates probably do not like a 1UZ
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1UZ and especially 2UZ are great engine. I like 2uz for its price and easy maintenance plus tons of parts availablity. But I love UR engines. They are great
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dont have anything against 1uz its a great engine but problem comes when coupling it to the transmission. Forget all problems this setup could give you and lets say you perfect it in every aspect clutch will give up on you.

About auto transmission there are others problems.

I am interested in uz swaps but havent seen one swap which is flawless.

In my books if 1uz is swapped using 2uz manual gear from 100 series and is bolt on only then its something which is reliable.

And reliable auto setup is complicated and no one has tried to use 100 series 4 or 5 speed original gear because of transmission having its own ecu.

As per lexus forums 2 auto swaps are good easy one couple with surf auto gear (but I have seen uz eats it up in no time) and other one is using original uz crown, ls gear and build 4x4 using toyota parts 90 series transfer case......
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Dont have anything against 1uz its a great engine but problem comes when coupling it to the transmission. Forget all problems this setup could give you and lets say you perfect it in every aspect clutch will give up on you.

In my books if 1uz is swapped using 2uz manual gear from 100 series and is bolt on only then its something which is reliable.

And reliable auto setup is complicated and no one has tried to use 100 series 4 or 5 speed original gear because of transmission having its own ecu.

As per lexus forums 2 auto swaps are good easy one couple with surf auto gear (but I have seen uz eats it up in no time) and other one is using original uz crown, ls gear and build 4x4 using toyota parts 90 series transfer case......
    I don't want to respond to this (I can't figure out where to start ).... I don't know how or why anyone who has been on this forum would have these views, but to each his own! Nevertheless, I disagree !
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I don't want to respond to this (I can't figure out where to start ).... I don't know how or why anyone who has been on this forum would have these views, but to each his own! Nevertheless, I disagree !
    Yes, the 1UZ is unsuitable as an engine for 4x4s. For vehicles light enough to take advantage of its limited torque, the engine bays are too small, and for those vehicles where the engine bay is big enough, the torqueless 1UZ falls flat on its face against the likes of the 1KZ, 1HD, 1FZ and 2UZ. No wonder it is languishing in junkyards and sells for peanuts compared to its more torquey brethren.

The fact that it is horrendously heavier by 20 kgs than a 4A-GE and was initially designed to serve duty as a race engine puts so many nails in its coffin for 4x4 use that we may safely say it's better used as a winch anchor than anything resembling a 4x4 powertrain.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo View Post
    Yes, the 1UZ is unsuitable as an engine for 4x4s. For vehicles light enough to take advantage of its limited torque, the engine bays are too small, and for those vehicles where the engine bay is big enough, the torqueless 1UZ falls flat on its face against the likes of the 1KZ, 1HD, 1FZ and 2UZ. No wonder it is languishing in junkyards and sells for peanuts compared to its more torquey brethren.

The fact that it is horrendously heavier by 20 kgs than a 4A-GE and was initially designed to serve duty as a race engine puts so many nails in its coffin for 4x4 use that we may safely say it's better used as a winch anchor than anything resembling a 4x4 powertrain.
    Now this seems to be another very personal opinion and everyone is entitled to that. The facts could not be more different and I can't seem to influence if anybody chooses to carve his own space under a rock and live there. Nevertheless, I disagree completely!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now this seems to be another very personal opinion and everyone is entitled to that. The facts could not be more different and I can't seem to influence if anybody chooses to carve his own space under a rock and live there. Nevertheless, I disagree completely!
    You missed the sarcasm completely... Why would I bother doing what I've been doing for the past 5 months if I thought it was a boat anchor?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo View Post
    You missed the sarcasm completely... Why would I bother doing what I've been doing for the past 5 months if I thought it was a boat anchor?
    Oh Acha! Your post did not seem to suggest the context being sarcastic but generally yes, thats just about what a lot of people feel when they think of a 1UZ conversion in their 4x4s.

All said and done, I do feel that numbers aside its just wrong to compare the 1UZ to any other engine that Toyota (or any other Japanese manufacturer for that matter) has ever produced. If you take a careful look at the history of its development and the breakthroughs that Lexus achieved with its UZ powered LS platform, that should be enough to set it apart. That in 1989/1990 Toyota were able to turn the tables against the global competition on their own home turf i.e. Luxury high end saloon cars (German domination) with a V8 (US hegemony) should make it worthwhile to have that engine in your car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh Acha! Your post did not seem to suggest the context being sarcastic but generally yes, thats just about what a lot of people feel when they think of a 1UZ conversion in their 4x4s.

All said and done, I do feel that numbers aside its just wrong to compare the 1UZ to any other engine that Toyota (or any other Japanese manufacturer for that matter) has ever produced. If you take a careful look at the history of its development and the breakthroughs that Lexus achieved with its UZ powered LS platform, that should be enough to set it apart. That in 1989/1990 Toyota were able to turn the tables against the global competition on their own home turf i.e. Luxury high end saloon cars (German domination) with a V8 (US hegemony) should make it worthwhile to have that engine in your car.
    Sir Jee khud sochain, I am trying to discourage other people to put 1UZs in their cars. Leaves more for us to modify and destroy (if need be). No other engine with the amount of power, torque and smoothness can be had for what one of these engines goes these days.

The 4AGE comment was to tell that the 1UZ with 2.5 times the displacement and twice the number of cylinders is only 20kgs heavier owing to its alloy block construction. And that the engine was initially designed to be used as a basis for CART racing (anecdote may or may not be true though...). Then you have 200 lb-ft from 1000 rpm. I'm beginning to wonder how many people have actually had personal experience with hard data to back up claims that it's not torquey enough in an LC80.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There are plenty of 1Uzs available here in pesh. And generators are being made from them here. One of my electrician made a generator for his uncle from 1uz and its very sucessful.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Waisey, that should be one sweet sounding generator

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sweet sounding as well as very high kva output at 1500rpms.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

v 8 generator!!! sounds great

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'll take this one @SuhaibKiani!

Only if you insist on using a puny 8" 2L or 3L clutch. The 1UZ puts out at least 250 lbs/ft of torque and it NEEDS a 10" or bigger clutch, like a 1KD, 1KZ, or B series unit. The stock bell housing needs slight modification to accept one of these larger clutches but it's very easily doable. If you use an adapter plate between the engine and bell housing then no bell housing modification is required.

How well does a 10" clutch hold up? Just fine as my 1KD clutch would tell you if it could speak. Its 780 KG clamp load is sufficient to prevent any slippage even with the 2.73:1 diff ratio I am using which is EXTREMELY hard on the clutch to begin with. I run this vehicle hard regularly AND I use it for towing as well. but still no issues. Why? Because I never ABUSE the clutch with half pedal burnouts. Most clutches die an early death thanks to inexperienced operators letting the pedal out only halfway while gunning the engine needlessly.

I've never heard of any issues with the 1UZ's own auto trans, which can be mated to a Toyota transfer case, if you want, for four wheel drive.

You haven't looked in the right places. My 1UZ CJ7 has been my daily driver and recreational off road vehicle for the last two years. I've had zero problems with the engine conversion. Fully satisfied 1UZ user here.

Nope. There is nothing wrong with using an adapter plate to mount the transmission, provided it is properly centered. This is such a common mod, one should have no issues with it. As for the choice of transmission, a R150F or R151F manual transmission out of a 70 series is a perfect swap. Not only are R series transmissions incredibly strong, but the ratios also match perfectly and you won't have to take out a second mortgage on your house like you would with the 100 series drivetrain. Throw in any Toyota axles with 3.7:1 ratio diffs and you've got yourself a winner.

The Prado's autobox works flawlessly with the 1UZ ECU. The engine itself is happiest with 3.7:1 ratio diffs on 31" tires or 4.1:1 with 33" tires. You need to avoid the incompetent hacks who are telling you otherwise and showing you poorly engineered examples of 1UZ swaps

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    I have done that previously

My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -330990 My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -330991 My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -330992 My 95 Land Cruiser with V8 swap Saaduk -330993
    wow nice brother how much it cost u ????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

User Tag List