Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to tow a Toyota Surf 4x4

Learned members

I am a diehard fan of the north of Pakistan. Have been visiting places like Hunza, Skardu and Naran on my prev rides (Beleno 1600cc and City Steermatic). As the roads have deteriorated I was finally able to buy a Toyota Surf ssrx 2004 model. Since this is my first 4x4, I have a lot of questions which I hope will be answered by you guys. To begin with, I read somewhere that there are special needs for towing a 4x4. My surf can be driven as two wheel drive, 4x4hi and 4x4lo. If the car is in two wheel drive mode, can I tow it (If need be) by simply putting it in neutral? Looking forward to your advice. Barakah Bashad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro your Surf can be towed if you're stuck even if its in 4X4, that is not detrimental in any way, the only problem in towing of 4X4s is when the vehicle is lifted from the front and only 2 wheels are towed. If all 4 wheels of a 4X4 vehicle are on the ground then towing is not an issue, make sure both 4X4 and regular gears are in neutral.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

always keep in mind that brakes n power steering dont work properly if engine is off.........be sure n safe when u tow ur truck =) happy towing

4. 24-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Senior PakWheeler

5. 24-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Senior PakWheeler

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hasan is right

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you are talkin about towing another vehicle with ur surf 4x4 - then its not an issue. Just put ur surf in HI4x4 ( so that the grip is there ) and start pulling. Getting towed - i dont think ur car's gna need that =P
    -go with the beat, rock the street

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Towing a vehicle is very dangerous and requires a highly responsive and experienced driver to do so, yes towing has requirements. In Pakistan towing is considered to be every mans game and the dangers are overlooked.

When you tow any sort of vehicle with another it matter unlike how some people think it doesn't. A surf weighs 1.5 tons approx, so if you tow it you'd be adding that much weight in every aspect to the vehicle which is primarily towing the dead vehicle. In a normal situation when you brake it takes time to stop, lets say a vehicles weight is 2 tons and takes 30 seconds to stop from 60-0, if you add another 2 tons behind it, it will take twice the time to stop. This also means that you need twice the stopping power too as well.

Also you cannot tow a surf with vehicle which has less power than the surf. You would need a vehicle which is twice the power of the surf and you'll have to see the manufacturers maximum towing specs. In large size SUV's the maximum dead weight you can tow is 750-900kgs. If you the towed weight is braked it can go up to 3 tons. Braked means that the weight being pulled has its own brakes and is actually connected to the vehicle which is towing. So when the towing vehicle brakes the weight brakes as well.

If you simply put in a rod and start pulling a surf with any vehicle you'll either end seriously damaging the vehicle and when you brake you might end up with towing vehicle and the weight going seriously going out of control.

THe best way to tow a 4x4 over long distances is to get a 16 feet trailer with a 2 ton axle with brakes actuated by a separate master cylinder which in turn is electronically connected to the towing vehicle's brake pedal with a pressure sensor. Some thing like below.

Keep in mind to tow a Surf on a trailer you need a 4.2 Turbo Diesel Land Cruiser at least to tow safely and effectively.

How to tow a Toyota Surf 4x4 - 16fttandem

Quick tip, never tow anything which is more than 1/4 of the towing vehicles weight when the weight is not braked and never tow more weight than the towing vehicles original weight in braked conditions.

And for the record if you want to tow something with your surf you do not need to engage the 4x4 at all as it only distributes the power to all four wheels and not increases. in 4x2 the power is only transferred to the rear wheels and in 4x4 to all the wheels. When you are towing something the weight is on the rear wheels typically which results in better traction any ways.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as said above, you can easily tow it (all wheels on the ground) but you must ensure that the difflock is off.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hue1

Now that you are the pround owner of a surf 4x4 ... let's change the paradigm. Be prepared to tow others out
    The possibilities are endles ... all you need is a 4x4

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List