Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Thermostat it?

Gents,
    What do you folks with older model 4x4s do in the winter? Do you put back in your thermostat so that the 4x4 warms up quickly, or do you figure out a way to live with your love while she quivers and shakes and then warms up? (Oooops, that sounds kind of perverse). Islamabad winters can be cold, so do I put in a thermostat or is that not recommended? My buddi is from the late 80s.

MMC

I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Put in a new thermostat, but always keep an eye out for any temp peaks
    Recommended procedures for budhis whose owners believe that abhee to yeh jawan hain!

Also check if your fan (I assume its a belt driven one) is on desi direct mode or is it running on the silica gel stuff! Janj and I have differing views on what works best here, but desi direct is safer in my view though you lose some HPs at the high end!

Welcome back to the art of budhi maintenance, Guru Jee!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Put in a new thermostat, but always keep an eye out for any temp peaks
    Recommended procedures for budhis whose owners believe that abhee to yeh jawan hain!

Also check if your fan (I assume its a belt driven one) is on desi direct mode or is it running on the silica gel stuff! Janj and I have differing views on what works best here, but desi direct is safer in my view though you lose some HPs at the high end!

Welcome back to the art of budhi maintenance, Guru Jee!
    Thanks, SK. Of course your answer is good, but I am known to persevere Hence, couple more questions.

1- Any ideas what temperature thermostat I should get for the Tora Bora (Gen 1 Paj)? Or should I get two? One for winter, and one for the summer?
    2- Desi Direct - what does that mean? You mean, does the fan turn on immediately at a cold start?
    3- Do I really have to go to Saddar to get an original but used thermostat which will likely not work, or should I get a new one from Islamabad somewhere?

Not really a Guru at this thermostat stuff

MMC

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    Thanks, SK. Of course your answer is good, but I am known to persevere Hence, couple more questions.

1- Any ideas what temperature thermostat I should get for the Tora Bora (Gen 1 Paj)? Or should I get two? One for winter, and one for the summer?
    2- Desi Direct - what does that mean? You mean, does the fan turn on immediately at a cold start?
    3- Do I really have to go to Saddar to get an original but used thermostat which will likely not work, or should I get a new one from Islamabad somewhere?

Not really a Guru at this thermostat stuff

MMC
    Not an expert on thermostats either, I like to roast my engines without them. I would think you should get a NEW Mitsu Gen 1 OEM thermostat that matches the engine you are running. The Mitsu men probably can tell you the specific one you would need.

You can easily get one in Islamabad though its probably not as fun as changing it in Rawalpindi these days.....as there are some free UZ rides available for the kids inside the gurus
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thermostat should always be installed.. never removed.. summers or winters!

thermostat has an important function in cooling system.. it not only brings the engine to the optimum operating temperature but also controls the fluid flow.. you dont want coolant/water gushing out to radiator and coming back.. thermostat make the flow slow so that coolant/water can do its job i.e. heat exchange

Never remove the thermostat.. whenever in doubt install a new one.. In a diesel you will notice a difference in sound/knock and millage!
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Testing a thermostat is easy.. if you are in doubt that a kabli one might be faulty.

you need a pan of water, a thermometer and the thermostat. heat the pan with the thermostat in water.. put in the thermometer.. you will see the thermostat starts to open up at the given temperature 82C incase of toyotas... at boiling its full open!

All service manuals have this testing method documented.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by akifjanjua View Post
    Testing a thermostat is easy.. if you are in doubt that a kabli one might be faulty.

you need a pan of water, a thermometer and the thermostat. heat the pan with the thermostat in water.. put in the thermometer.. you will see the thermostat starts to open up at the given temperature 82C incase of toyotas... at boiling its full open!

All service manuals have this testing method documented.
    Quote Originally Posted by akifjanjua View Post
    Thermostat should always be installed.. never removed.. summers or winters!

thermostat has an important function in cooling system.. it not only brings the engine to the optimum operating temperature but also controls the fluid flow.. you dont want coolant/water gushing out to radiator and coming back.. thermostat make the flow slow so that coolant/water can do its job i.e. heat exchange

Never remove the thermostat.. whenever in doubt install a new one.. In a diesel you will notice a difference in sound/knock and millage!
    Agreed 100 %.

I used to check my Charade's thermo in the pan of the tea maker at the workshop.

I removed the pin from the thermostat to increase coolant flow and in the next summer, I drilled a tiny hole on the outer rim as well. Worked like a charm.

I had another DIY planned for her to "bypass" the thermostat via steel tubing with a cable operated valve for those scorching Lahore summer traffic jams, but sold her before it materialized.

Sorry for going a bit off topic. So, remove the pin from the thermostat for better coolant flow!
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree with all my buddies but will tell you what I do with my vehicles for best results in the ambient temp of Pakistan(older vehicles only) I remove all the thermostat valves in summer and put them back in winter. Recently LEO81 brought the therm valve for my Bronco and the suggested temp for our country was 60 degrees. @proverbial slang I am impressed by your D.I.Y and would love to try that, thanks
    To all the extreme drivers, please come offroad like ME to keep others safe on the roads.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Arrow

Have it running in idle for a few minutes to raise the engine temp (bugs are air cooled - no radiator - and i always have it running idle before heading out - a good practice in general)

Thermo valve - get the original one and keep it in there all seasons, just get the radiator serviced and thermo valve checked in summers - normally people do not consider it in the service until or unless they come across a serious issue

I am fairly junior to all of you guys - but thought to give my input to get a few corrections and improve my knowledge

regards
    Bugged for Life....Easily Distracted by Land Rovers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@RAOMMC

Since, being the creator of your NOW torabora, feel kinda obligated to respond
    I removed the part in question here on purpose as this car was built for rallies ONLY.....also did put in a new fan clutch and an additional electric one after removing the a/c condenser!!! Heating up never ever came back and I finished ALL the races with temp not even touching the quarter mark!!!

Now coming out of the (not so) ancient history....
    1. Yes @akif is correct.....never remove it
    2. @proverbial_slang has prescribed the best solution....valid 100% for vintage motors
    3. Getting one....kabli or go for a new one OEM Shahzore pickup...cheap n reliable......and remember to drill the correct hole ONLY!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Mitsu_Man
    Bhai jaan, this post was created for you to respond to Just didn't want it to be too obvious. Thanks for the details. One more question from you, I hear that with a thermostat on, the temperature gauge should show at about half, and that is to be considered "normal". Without a thermostat, they say that about quarter of the way up is considered to be normal. Do you subscribe to the same theory?

That being said, lots of good advice coming my way for this topic.
    @AkifJanjua, thanks, will start my search for a good thermostat.
    @Proverbial Slang, bro, sounds like good advice. I'm not getting the pinning and drilling bits though. So I will try and arrange for a thermostat first, and then i will holler back at you to help me with the drilling bits. Is that totally necessary though? Or should the thermostat just be put in first to see how it performs without the drilling?
    @Bugzy, I agree with you little bro.

Thanks all.

MMC

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@RAOMMC

If your engine, fan, coolant level, reservoir in/out flow, radiator/cap and VAAAATUR BAADDEE are all a GO then
    IN....gen 1 normal range varies from quarter to almost 9'o' clock position..... gen2,3,4..... it is again almost 9!
    OUT....well it depends...ISLOO winters it might not budge at all in the city but come the motorway( and you are struggling to maintain 120 ) it might go all the way up to 9 again!!!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Correction
    Gen4.....it is almost 12!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Mitsu
    Bro, all that you mentioned are in order. Just so you know, I took it to Lahore for Eid No AC, as its cold here nowadays, but 5 people in it, and rear loaded with loads of samaan, on the GT road, the gauge didn't move at all, cold as can be. On the way back, I said to heck with the GT road and came back on the motorway, same scenario, kept her on 110 but did manage to hit 145km/h on a flat part of the road, slow I know, but had to experiment, and the needle didn't even hit the quarter mark. Even at Kallar Kahar.

So, if I'm reading you correctly, with the stat in, it should be around half, like my gen 2.5. And without the stat, should ideally linger around quarter? Ties in to what I was told.

Yikes on the Gen 4 comment!

MMC

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@RAOMMC

Yup amigo.....correct!
    Gen 4 has upright gauges.....need not sweat!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1- Any ideas what temperature thermostat I should get for the Tora Bora (Gen 1 Paj)? Or should I get two? One for winter, and one for the summer?..one only, for all seasons.. i've seen 82 deg celcius stats in most vehicles.
    2- Desi Direct - what does that mean? You mean, does the fan turn on immediately at a cold start?..aho..it means your fan is on fire every second. and replace that tiny electric fan with a good high speed one.
    3- Do I really have to go to Saddar to get an original but used thermostat which will likely not work, or should I get a new one from Islamabad somewhere?..used and thermostat never go together, well.

Not really a Guru at this thermostat stuff ....because thermostat is ROCKET SCIENCE!

MMC
    1character

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow, the gauge does not even budge. I have a 91 prado that i have put a 82C thermostat in. The daily high for the last few days has been (minus) -25 to -20 'C. My gauge can reach close to 1/4 when i am driving in the city and highway.
    Should change it back to 88'C when the weather is nicer. There must something wrong here for the gauge to not read 160'F.
    my 0.02 cents.
    Ali.
    1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic Wagon
    2004 BMW 545i

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Proverbial Slang, bro, sounds like good advice. I'm not getting the pinning and drilling bits though. So I will try and arrange for a thermostat first, and then i will holler back at you to help me with the drilling bits. Is that totally necessary though? Or should the thermostat just be put in first to see how it performs without the drilling?

MMC
    Rao,

That sounds like a good ides. I am not familiar with the condition of the motor in your mitsu. I would say you do it in the following order:

1. Put the thermostat in without modification (This shopuld be good for the winters)
    2. In summers, if there is an issue, remove the jiggle pin (as shown in picture below. Just cut it off)
    3. If the motor still heats up at idle in traffic, drill a tiny hole opposite the jiggle pin hole. Do note that I installed a fan thermostat switch as well as the motor used to run a bit cold sometimes. Also, I installed an electric switch inside the cabin to bypass that electric thermo switch for extreme hot weather.

Thermostat it? -165685
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dont temper with the thermostat please

DO not remove the jiggle pin or drill holes to increase flow.. it will only disturb the flow... i have done it and ruined one thermostat thats still lying somewhere in junk

If a car is heating up even though it has a new working thermostat.. look else where in the cooling system... why do we always put the blame on the poor thermostat radiator, waterbody fins, fans, airflow etc etc.. they all are part of cooling system

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbial_Slang View Post
    Rao,

That sounds like a good ides. I am not familiar with the condition of the motor in your mitsu. I would say you do it in the following order:

1. Put the thermostat in without modification (This shopuld be good for the winters)
    2. In summers, if there is an issue, remove the jiggle pin (as shown in picture below. Just cut it off)
    3. If the motor still heats up at idle in traffic, drill a tiny hole opposite the jiggle pin hole. Do note that I installed a fan thermostat switch as well as the motor used to run a bit cold sometimes. Also, I installed an electric switch inside the cabin to bypass that electric thermo switch for extreme hot weather.
    Thermostat it? - 165685

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rummat81 View Post
    Wow, the gauge does not even budge. I have a 91 prado that i have put a 82C thermostat in. The daily high for the last few days has been (minus) -25 to -20 'C. My gauge can reach close to 1/4 when i am driving in the city and highway.
    Should change it back to 88'C when the weather is nicer. There must something wrong here for the gauge to not read 160'F.
    my 0.02 cents.
    Ali.
    No, it doesn't budge because there is no thermostat in it today. I have only seen the temp needle climb till quarter the way when I was trying to become Schumacher's legacy in a late 80s 2.5 TD

Hope you find better weather, you poor Canadians. Thanks for your help.

MMC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List