Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK

Dear Friends,
    I went to UK, and found this wonderful OFF-ROAD Club, run by Keith and Chris, father and son.
    I decided that I wanted to learn a few tricks, which these gentlemen are teaching their country-men.
    It was a pleasure to spend some time with Keith.
    The Off-Roading Experience was very relaxing: being in the company of an expert, yet it provided ample opportunity to drive the club-owned Land Rover Defender 90.
    The Defender sported a body-lift and air-lockers.
    But the most important asset of the club, of course, was the Man behind the Machine.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Some important points that we covered in the course were:

Holding the Steering Wheel
    Using all One's Senses while driving any OFF-ROADER
    The use of Low Range 4 x 4, both uphill, and downhill while leaving the vehicle in idle / tick over
    Walking the Track, before jumping!
    The use of Reverse gear with Low 4 x 4 for coming back down safely if stalled on an uphill track
    A light and scratching type introduction to the air-lockers
    And a very enightening general discussion, with some reference to other interesting tracks

4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -165800

Ranger of the North---Didn't Get Any Speeding Ticket While I had the Unimog. Since I bought a Cruiser, I get a speeding ticket every now and then.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Doc Sahib,
    That is very nice indeed! I am sure you must have come across a number of things that you probably knew of and used instinctively, but it would have been good having an expert spell it out for you. Would be wonderful to get more colour and details along with more pics of-course.
    Thanks for sharing!
    SK
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default With Fond Memories of Miskeen Baba

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Doc Sahib,
    That is very nice indeed! I am sure you must have come across a number of things that you probably knew of and used instinctively, but it would have been good having an expert spell it out for you. Would be wonderful to get more colour and details along with more pics of-course.
    Thanks for sharing!
    SK
    Kiani Saheb, thanks for the interest.
    I believe I learnt many things.
    Pic by Pic
    Met Kieth at a small country-side Hotel, where he was waiting for me as planned on telephone.
    He got me to sign some papers, about which I do not know what they contained: May be that if I got torn into pieces, and was shook around, and got paralysed due to Off-Roading, etc., etc.,,,, then the Supreme Adventure Sports, their club, will not be responsible....
    I signed without looking at the papers, of course.
    and Keith started off, showing me around, proudly, but a bit concerned about the recent emergence of Environment Friendliness! We reached the Quarry, a site left after a mining operation was terminated.
    4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -166199 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -166200 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -166201
    Ranger of the North---Didn't Get Any Speeding Ticket While I had the Unimog. Since I bought a Cruiser, I get a speeding ticket every now and then.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default With Fond Memories of Miskeen Baba

The philosophy taught by Keith, the Chief Instructor was remarkably similar to what Baba Miskeen taught us around 30 years back! Great People do think ALIKE!
    Holding of the Steering Wheel, with thumbs raised away from harm's way
    was the first thing that Keith talked about. He demonstrated it himself, used all the time. He asked me if I practiced it back home, and my honest answer was that I was told about it (by Miskeen Baba), but did not practice it. The next question was, 'have you ever hurt your thumb?' and my honest answer was a sheepish 'Yes'.
    anyway.....
    4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -166218 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -166219 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK -166220

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dr Sahib

Thanx a lot for sharing ur experience with other Offroaders
    I am sure this will help us in our offroading events

Kindly highlight all the details & oblige
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default LOW 4 X 4, Left in Tick Over / idle

First of all, we started with what a vehicle would do, when it is left in Low Range 4 x 4, and left in idle. (No accelerator, No brake, No clutch). It will do a lot of the work, that we want to make it do. For this type of off-roading, the hand-controlled, accelerator / throttle, as installed in the Gypsy, Irshad's vehicle, is an added advantage.
    We tried this and it does appear to be useful. It is useful both for ascents and descents , and has some use for level driving as well. On steep ascents, this technique, of course has its limits.

This was, exactly in accordance with what Baba tried to tell us, by saying, go slow. Do not rush. And he would never allow any heavy throttle wheel spins. The philosophy was similar. He did mention on many occasions, the usefulness of low throttle uphill ascents, as compared to the heavy wheelspins, so popular these days.

More next time, Insha'Allah .........<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK - 167699 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK - 167700 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK - 167701 4 x 4 Driving and Leisure Experience in UK - 167702
    Attached Images Attached Images     

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And With Further Fond Memories of Miskeen Baba

The next important issue that we discussed was that of Diff Locks.
    The Air Locker, as compared to the Old-fashioned Mechanical hand-driven diff lock is relatively new and has more than one uses.

We here at Off-Roaders Unlimited, use it mostly for making the most of the available traction. So, in slick mud, etc., or snow or uphill incline where loss of traction is anticipated, we use rear diff lock, or rear and front diff locks, as the case may be, for maximum traction.

We also know already that application of diff-locks will enlarge the turning cirle of a vehicle.
    What we are not practicing, and is actually very tricky, is that in case of air-lockers, the switcing on and off of the locker will help us turn the vehicle in jumps, and alters the circle in a different way.

It shortens the circle, but is not safe in tight uphill spots, where there is a risk of fall, as the jumps may lead to loss of traction, while helping in the steering !

I tried to use it, when I was back, but did not succeed, as I did not have free access to vehicle with air-lockers. My vehicle back home is UNIMOG, and it is not equipped with airlockers.

I would love to see how it functions.

Has anyone got a vehicle with airlockers?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dr Sahab Well Done.Need To Join you when I am next In Pakistan.

Saeed

Edinburgh.
    zeeshan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved