Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Diesel to Petrol Conversion in 98-Prado

Dear All,

I`m having a 1998 Model Second Generation Prado runing with 1KZ-TE diesel engine and because of increasing price of diesel I`m planing to convert it in petrol then (CNG) with any of following suitable option.

1-3RZ-FE
    2-5VZ-FE (Expensive)
    3-1JZ
    2-2JZ

So please suggest that which option could be better and suitable as 5VZ-FE would be an expensive option.

Is it possible to swap it with any of JZ (like 1jz or 2jz) series engine with existing gearbox or what will be good.

And what about 3RZ-FE how it will run on CNG and any idea about price tag.

Do give suggestions, opinions and experiences.Thanx

It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HasaanIqbal View Post
    Guys
    I have a 2 jz in my cj-7 coupled with prado gear box and axles . Work fine for me . I easily do 160 km /hr with + 8 km/ L . A bit slack on torque in low rpm but then past 2000 rpm ,I am hard to catch . The prob is not which engine u want to install , the real prob is determining the usage . My Jeep is my car , my offroader and my trip goer contrivance . Abosolutely no deffects with my combination for my usage .
    Determine the usage , fuel type ( petrol or CNG ) , money tht u want to waste , and last but not the least how long do u intend to keep the vehicle .Hopefully ,u will come to an answer

Cheers
    Bro I want to use it as regular car ...that`s why decided to switch on petrol then CNG to get more economy ..

Firstly a second gen petrol Prado is hard to find or else it would be hell expensive as compared to my existing one.

Secondly..I guess any kind of conversion is possible in Pak...that's why I still want some more suggestions to find out what would be the best and reasonable option to swap for CNG.

In short...I`m intend to make it an econo jeep
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by iftikharraheel View Post
    2grfe is 3.5 l engine that comes in toyota lexus with hp of 285 and 385 torque.it is not 2.7l.it is a great engine but very costly,difficult to find one and also a very complicated engine for swap.its almost out of question.the 2.7l that comes in 3rd gen prado is 2trfe and its also a good engine
    Yes bro....I mistook it for 2TR-FE....I was actually asking about (2TR-FE) the one with 16 valve 2.7 ltr L4 version & 159Hp..... So what about its availability and for swapping it in same hood of second gen Prado?

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can you convert your diesel engine directly on cng fuel? toyota hiace's are all converted to cng without the engine swap!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I guess this is a valid question to be asking given diesel prices today and the apparent thirst of the 1KZ engine. I have come across various consumption figures for the 1KZ in various formats with 5 at worst to 8-9 at best (within the city). So my first response would be to ask what is the current mileage you are getting within the city?

Between the options you have listed, keeping in mind that you are looking to convert to CNG, I feel that 5VZ-FE V6 34000 would be the best option. Its a very powerful engine which should hold up well with CNG use (provided you get 100% genuine CNG kit and fittings and don't abuse the engine with excessive CNG use). The engine should cost you around 150k with another 40k for the CNG conversion.

The 2JZ vvti is a good engine for what it is, but assuming that you have a 5 door Prado I feel that given the weight of the car, it will be underpowered at the low end specially when it comes to hill-climbs and offroading. Nevertheless, in city driving it will may be faster than the 2700cc 3RZ-FE and good fun to drive. Engine should cost around 75k but I suspect it would die pretty soon if you add CNG on this car.
    Also this would require more mods and essentially kill the market value of your vehicle.

The 3RZ-FE is somewhat of an underdog engine which has developed a bad reputation in 2003ish Surfs where it is deemed to be severely underpowered. Nevertheless, its a very rugged machine which I have seen to performs quite wonderfully in light offroad situations owing to a good low end. not exactly sure how much this would cost but saying 130k off the top of my head. The car would also feel less powerful than the 1KZ to drive based on comparison of the two engines in Surfs.

The 2TR-FE 2700cc engine is the one that the Hiaces are running on CNG with great success. Its a great engine but given high demand I cannot imagine that it will be any cheaper than the 5VZ-FE.

In conclusion, I would recommend that unless you are going for anything other than 5VZ the swap is not worth it. Even then I am not sure how much of an econo gain would you really be getting given cost of conversion. So overall, my advice to you would be to first drive the 1KZ into the ground and then we can talk more
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    I guess this is a valid question to be asking given diesel prices today and the apparent thirst of the 1KZ engine. I have come across various consumption figures for the 1KZ in various formats with 5 at worst to 8-9 at best (within the city). So my first response would be to ask what is the current mileage you are getting within the city?

Between the options you have listed, keeping in mind that you are looking to convert to CNG, I feel that 5VZ-FE V6 34000 would be the best option. Its a very powerful engine which should hold up well with CNG use (provided you get 100% genuine CNG kit and fittings and don't abuse the engine with excessive CNG use). The engine should cost you around 150k with another 40k for the CNG conversion.

The 2JZ vvti is a good engine for what it is, but assuming that you have a 5 door Prado I feel that given the weight of the car, it will be underpowered at the low end specially when it comes to hill-climbs and offroading. Nevertheless, in city driving it will may be faster than the 2700cc 3RZ-FE and good fun to drive. Engine should cost around 75k but I suspect it would die pretty soon if you add CNG on this car.
    Also this would require more mods and essentially kill the market value of your vehicle.

The 3RZ-FE is somewhat of an underdog engine which has developed a bad reputation in 2003ish Surfs where it is deemed to be severely underpowered. Nevertheless, its a very rugged machine which I have seen to performs quite wonderfully in light offroad situations owing to a good low end. not exactly sure how much this would cost but saying 130k off the top of my head. The car would also feel less powerful than the 1KZ to drive based on comparison of the two engines in Surfs.

The 2TR-FE 2700cc engine is the one that the Hiaces are running on CNG with great success. Its a great engine but given high demand I cannot imagine that it will be any cheaper than the 5VZ-FE.

In conclusion, I would recommend that unless you are going for anything other than 5VZ the swap is not worth it. Even then I am not sure how much of an econo gain would you really be getting given cost of conversion. So overall, my advice to you would be to first drive the 1KZ into the ground and then we can talk more
    Thanx brother for providing useful info...So I`m thinking of to keep either 1KZ or will go for 5VZ-FE...but still I ill try for 2TR-FE if can get that.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And millage of my 1KZ is 5-6 in city and up-to 8 on long.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bump

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is what i would do if i were in your place.
    Sell your vehicle (assuming it will be more than 15 to 17 lacs), buy a CNG fitted car of your choice (worth 7 or 8 lacs) and go for a 60 series cruiser as well, and than convert it to its original 2F or 3F petrol engine which will not require any modifications and are easily available too. Both these vehicles will cost you less than 15 or 16. Even you can keep the 60 with diesel also as you'll be driving the car on daily basis.
    But don't ruin your beautiful Prado.
    Remember, a 4X4 can only perform 100% if it has the original combination of engine, gear and diffs.
    Regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bump

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Anybody selling 5VZ-FE .. ? (

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear,

Iv gone through two projects.

The first one is
    I have swaped my customer's 1996 prado from 1KZ to 5VZ-FE 3.4 litre a month back. It produced a good torque and he is very much satisfied. Moreover i have also installed Landirenzo CNG kit with lamda setup. My customer enjoying his ride.

The second Project is:

I swaped 2KD to 1GR-FE in Mr. Hassam's 2006 Prado. My customer Mr. Hassam is very satisfied with the original bolt on work done.

Regards,
    Junaid ur Rehman
    0300-4427008

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid1981 View Post
    Dear,

Iv gone through two projects.

The first one is
    I have swaped my customer's 1996 prado from 1KZ to 5VZ-FE 3.4 litre a month back. It produced a good torque and he is very much satisfied. Moreover i have also installed Landirenzo CNG kit with lamda setup. My customer enjoying his ride.

The second Project is:

I swaped 2KD to 1GR-FE in Mr. Hassam's 2006 Prado. My customer Mr. Hassam is very satisfied with the original bolt on work done.

Regards,
    Junaid ur Rehman
    0300-4427008
    Very fascinating though ....and bro what was the project cost on both?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bump

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bump

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salaam for 5vr 3.4l u have to make little 1inch change in frame and foundation which is not an issue if you have a good mechanic and 5vr is the best four cam engine as i had swapped and it is like a rocket and have good mileage too but you have to change gears for that too go to quetta and make it done its the best option you have

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The amount of money you would be investing in this venture would be upwards of 200k. There are always hidden costs associated with an engine swap which no one will bother to tell you.. especially not your mechanic.. You will end up spending more in the longer run.. Plus CNG is available on selected days.. time wasting in the lineup is also a cost. Add to that constant cost of retuning and shorter oil changes will also add up. I really dont think this is a viable money saving venture unless you undertake cross country trips on a weekly basis and have your own workshop/CNG station

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Umair, i have just swaped my 1KZ-TE to 3.4 5VZ-FE in my 1997 Colorado, the engine was fixed on same foundations but i had to change the complete gearbox & both drive & 4x4 drive shafts, not alteration was done, now my new engine is running 100% perfect and i am enjoying my ride better than before, i did the in G-10, Islamabad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List