Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Rim/tyre query

AOA
    I am in the process of changing the rims on my TLC from the wide alloys it has right now back to stock. The tyre size is 265 70R16 which i would like to keep if they can be mounted on the stock rims i plan on getting. The current rim width is 8in i think and the stock ones are 5.5in. So the question here is that can i mount 265 70R16 on 5.5in wide rims?
    Regards.

Flat six flattening things out!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes u can and that will be a good decision as 8" rims r too wide and unpractical. For better efficiency u need to have stock rims.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can u post pics of the existing set up from side ways and from a 45 degree angle.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would say, better ask the tyre guru
    '3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the car.'

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default tyre query

@noman8ff
    here are the pics brother. maybe you can better judge the width of these rims. i am looking to change them because they sometimes brush against the inner wheel arches when flexing. are you sure on my question though, wether 265s can fit 5.5in rims. could you substantiate this with experience. regards.Rim/tyre query - 99495

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Rim/tyre query - 99494

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

stock 5.5 inch wide rims will Not fit 265-70-r16 as they are sized for a rim range of 7-9 inch wide. U install them and ur side wall will baloon out resulting in frequent cut on side wall even in case of minor rubbing during offroading .I hope attach link will be of assistance

TIP : Why dont you install original TLC spacers ? they are available in 3/4",1", 1-1/4",1-1/2",2" and maybe upto 3" width. looking at ur rig , i think that 1 inch or 1.5 inch wide spacers will do wonders to the rubbing issue as well as stability with flushed with body tyres improving the looks department . think about it before going for rim change .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default ^^

figured so. so what size could i go for to go over to the stock rim. would 245 75r16 work, or better still 235 85r16?

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ HamzahF, Any particular reason for going back to narrow rims?

You can certainly fit 265/70R16 on 5.5" but they will look different and ride will be somewhat stiffer. But yes if you want to go by book, than 5.5" rim is too narrow for your tyre. Even for 235/85R16 minimum recommended rim width is 6". With steel rim of 5.5" tyres were usually 7.0R16LT or 7.5R16LT. Wider rim usually gives softer ride, more stability and better looks, negative would be fuel consumption to some extent.

Have seen people use 275/70R16 tyres on 5.5 inch steel rims!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    @ HamzahF, Any particular reason for going back to narrow rims?

You can certainly fit 265/70R16 on 5.5" but they will look different and ride will be somewhat stiffer. But yes if you want to go by book, than 5.5" rim is too narrow for your tyre. Even for 235/85R16 minimum recommended rim width is 6". With steel rim of 5.5" tyres were usually 7.0R16LT or 7.5R16LT. Wider rim usually gives softer ride, more stability and better looks, negative would be fuel consumption to some extent.

I don't agree.

If the width of the top of the tyre and the width of the rim is same, that is the ideal thing.
    If the rim width is more than the tyre, than the balance of the vehicle will be better but the ride will be stiff as the tyre is over stretched.
    And if the tyre bed is more wider than the rim, than the vehicle tends to shake left and right a bit but the ride will be soft as the tyre gets more room to bend.

But i agree that, "You can certainly fit 265/70R16 on 5.5".

@ HamzahF, can you measure the width of the bed of your tyre and let us know.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have precious little to add here, but one more thing to note is the offset on the rims i.e. how hollow the rims are.

The 5.5 inch rims (unless the are supper hollow) will invariably have less negative offset (less hollow) than the 8 inch one. Hence the track width will invariably decrease and if the tire is hitting things on the inside on an 8 inch hollow rim, its probably gonna hit worse on a 5.5 inch rim. At least thats what happened on my CJ7 when I tried something similar, only that the tires were hitting the leaf springs on full turns.

Agree with Hasan Iqbal in that mild spacers are probably the best solution especially since you have nice looking rims and you can probably find some nice and lightweight 2nd hand ones.
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ noman8ff, I would still say the same, his 265/70R16 tyres on current rims (8") would definitely have better handling, grip, ride and looks, compared to any 5.5" replacement rims that he is contemplating.

In any case ride comfort can depend a lot on the tyre air pressure as well as the overall suspension setup!

Finally as suhaib said, tyre rubbing is more of an off-set issue, or sometimes ride height.

@ Hamzah, kindly clarify where does the tyre rubbing occur, the fender on top or the body inside?

Also just remembered, back in 80s I used to have 285/60R15 on 6" original steel rims, before I changed them to eventual 10" steel rims.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@nn
    the rubbing occurs on the inner side of the wheel arch. reasons for going back to stock are, well im more of a 'genuine' guy. besides the thought that more unsprung mass does no good to your vehicle in terms of performance/economy is also at the back of my mind. and while they would qualify as good looking for some, to me they just look like fat donuts. i want something that looks like a battle wagon out of somalia.
    @SuhaidKiani
    the negative offset theory is true. but i reckon the folks over at toyota thought that out when they put those 5.5" rims on 70 series. i have seen military JMRs/RMRs/RKRs all with those 5.5" rims and 7.50x16c tyres twisting their axles to full flex without any rubbing issues. so i figure if i get that rim with 235 85 r16 tyres, it ought to work fine, no?
    @all
    i spoke to this tyre champ here and he said that 265 is too wide for a 5.5" rim. he said that it would not lay itself flat on the road as it should and the side wall would baloon and invite raptures more eagerly. how much truth to that?

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    @nn
    the rubbing occurs on the inner side of the wheel arch. reasons for going back to stock are, well im more of a 'genuine' guy. besides the thought that more unsprung mass does no good to your vehicle in terms of performance/economy is also at the back of my mind. and while they would qualify as good looking for some, to me they just look like fat donuts. i want something that looks like a battle wagon out of somalia.
    Firstly if you want your LC to look like battle wagon out of Somalia, take it offroad, espcially in mud and don't clean afterwards!

Secondly, the 265s may or may not rub against the inner wheel arch even when they are on 5.5" rims, you will have to test it out to yourself with some axle flexing off-roading! 235/85R16 will undoubtedly fit very well with your requirement, although if you look at all the recommended rim width for this size say 6"-7.5". I am myself running 235/85R16 on my Nissan. Mind you the 235/85 is over an inch higher than 265/70, so you will gain ground clearance but at the expence of higher speed lateral stability in turns etc. Narrow wheels will mean narrower track and therefore higher centre of gravity!

Regarding weight and unsprung mass, well I am sure there will not be much difference between 265/70R16 on 8" alloys vs 235/85R16 on 5.5" Steel rims. If anything alloys setup may be lighter!

Finally 265s will fit on 5.5, you can do all on-road driving as well as moderate off-roading as well without issues, if you maintain reasnable air-pressures. So unless you do a lot of rock crawling don't worry. Remeber side wall damage is obviously a risk in all tyres n rims in which ever size. But will add here your handling at limits will be compromised with this setup.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @nn

@nn
    the first advice is too tempting. ill take it. also, could you tell me the width of the steel rims you are running on your cruiser and the ones you have on your nissan. i would also appreciate if you could tell the width of the contact patch of those 235s you have on your patrol. the higher cg is something i can live with i guess, since i dont have speed demons sitting under my hood like you do .

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@nn
    the first advice is too tempting. ill take it. also, could you tell me the width of the steel rims you are running on your cruiser and the ones you have on your nissan. i would also appreciate if you could tell the width of the contact patch of those 235s you have on your patrol. the higher cg is something i can live with i guess, since i dont have speed demons sitting under my hood like you do .
    @ Hamzah, although this thread was about tyres n rims for ur ride, but I will happily discuss mine as well if you insist!

LC has original steel rims 16X8JJ with standard tyre size 275/70R16 114H, The Indus model LC came with 16X6JJ with 235/85R16. These are ofcourse 5 nuts rims. 235 is a high side profile tyre and not meant for really high speeds, but still you can get some makes going upto S rating i.e 180kmph. The 275s are obviously H rated, which is 210kmph, which suits fine, considering it can go upto 190kmph.

The Nissan came with original steel wheels, which were 16X5.5JJ and tyres were 7.50X16LT, these were factory items, but as tyres were old I decided to change them. I wanted to get 16X7JJ or minimum 16X6.5JJ, but unfortunately despite looking for them for over a month, I couldn't find any apart from 16X6JJ. Because of the nature of intened use, I was looking for steel rims. Then i came across these 16X8JJ steel rims, so I decided to go for them, so far am pretty pleased with them.

Tyres on both are Michelin LTX M/S, the 235s are obviously LT (light truck) so they have much higher weight rating for load carrying. Also they are only R rated i.e max 170kmph, but I don't intend to go any faster on it!

Having said all of the above, given choice n availbilty, I would have gone for 285/75R16 for both of them, but couldn't get any new ones!

Attaching few pics for you to get some idea about width n looks etc. Will try to do the measurement as well later...........

Rim/tyre query - 192894 Rim/tyre query - 192895 Rim/tyre query - 192896 Rim/tyre query - 192897
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^^ Never mind the useful tire info, nice shots of the LC!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    ^^^ Never mind the useful tire info, nice shots of the LC!
    Thnx VC!

@ Hamzah, have a look at these 35" monsters. Nuic has them on 6" rims. From memory exact size of tyre is 35X12.5R15, so metric equivalence would be roughly 315/80R15!!

Rim/tyre query - 192916
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Good Looking Vehicle

@noman8ff
    here are the pics brother. maybe you can better judge the width of these rims. i am looking to change them because they sometimes brush against the inner wheel arches when flexing. are you sure on my question though, wether 265s can fit 5.5in rims. could you substantiate this with experience. regards.Rim/tyre query - 99495
    The rims are too wide. So, I agree with the general discussion that these need changing. Consider one thing, though: Very narrow rims and tyres doo affect the looks of vehicles. I recently sold a BJ60, on which I changed rims to smaller width. Looked awful. Secondly, in smaller rims, you may be able to get Offset rims, 1" offset rims look beautiful. You may even go upto 2" offset. But a straight rim without offset may not be extremely good-looking (for some). Best regards
    Ranger of the North---Didn't Get Any Speeding Ticket While I had the Unimog. Since I bought a Cruiser, I get a speeding ticket every now and then.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I was wondering if anyone could guide me whether 32X11.5R15 tires would fit on a LC 70 such as the OPs?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List