Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Project CJ5 !!

AoA Everyone !
    I need your help with sincere advise.. i am about to rebuild my CJ5 . purpose of my rig
    1) Moderate off roading . hunting , exploration of our nothern areas.
    2) will be used as a 2nd vehicle not a daily driving machine

MY requirement:
    1) Max Flex
    2) good Stability at 100 km/h on highways
    3) moderate Ground Clearance for off road

Current Specs:
    1) |Dana 30 front , AMC 20 Rear with T18
    2) 2B Toyota Engine
    3) Stock 1.5'' leaf springs with 3.5'' Front shackle .
    4) Gear ratio unknown

Problems :
    1)Mild vibrations frm the rear
    2) high driveline angle
    3) Wandering
    4) Bumpy ride
    5) Over Responsive Steering
    6) Spongy / Sensitive Brake Paddle

i need to know wht confirigations shall i go for to make my CJ good off road vehicle.
    Thankx

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yar cj5 achi ha ya cj7?
    ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bahi bata do

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb2288 View Post
    yar cj5 achi ha ya cj7?
    ?
    well haseeb it depends how passionate your are abt CJ's . Cj5 can be as good as cj7 and cj7 can be as wrangler .
    It al depends upon configurations / modifications you have .
    As far if you compare stock cj5 and cj7 . i might give plus point to cj7.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HSADIKK View Post
    AoA Everyone !
    I need your help with sincere advise.. i am about to rebuild my CJ5 . purpose of my rig
    1) Moderate off roading . hunting , exploration of our nothern areas.
    2) will be used as a 2nd vehicle not a daily driving machine

MY requirement:
    1) Max Flex
    2) good Stability at 100 km/h on highways
    3) moderate Ground Clearance for off road

Current Specs:
    1) |Dana 30 front , AMC 20 Rear with T18
    2) 2B Toyota Engine
    3) Stock 1.5'' leaf springs with 3.5'' Front shackle .
    4) Gear ratio unknown

Problems :
    1)Mild vibrations frm the rear
    2) high driveline angle
    3) Wandering
    4) Bumpy ride
    5) Over Responsive Steering
    6) Spongy / Sensitive Brake Paddle

i need to know wht confirigations shall i go for to make my CJ good off road vehicle.
    Thankx
    Well, the fact of the matter is that all CJs ultimately end up being modified with Toyota parts. In Pakistan the situation is very acute given virtual non-availability of original Jeep parts and only second rate stuff available where possible. Nevertheless, outside the US, the situation is supposedly quite similar to us with varying degrees.....

The first standard modification with good results is to replace the steering box with a Toyota one. This should take care of the wandering and the over responsive steering bits which apparently have always been a weak point of the CJ5 and CJ7 setups, particularly the Pakistani assembled ones that were quite inferior in make and quality. There might be a few other minor jugars on the steering assembly which I am not aware of but the Rawalpindi jeep makers have standardised over the years....

On the driveline, you did not mention which gear you have but I suspect its a Toyota one. There is a modification to the shafts which converts the crosses/assembly at both ends to a full Toyota ones which are more rugged. Normally one would have the Jeep/Dana setup on the diff ends and Toyota setup on the gear ends of the shafts. The Toyota ones should work well even with high driveline angles....

Bumpy ride is something that should not be a complaint on a CJ if you have the leafs set up properly and have decent shocks. There is no match of Rancho shocks (even second hand ones) on a CJ5/7 but any decent oil shocks should do a good job. Another thing to note is that the CJ7 has a stabilizer bar at the front which improves handling (and some extent the ride) by a huge amount. Not fully sure if its there on the 5 but usually it gets taken off and discarded by local mickeys over the years. For hardcore offroading the stabilizer bar should ideally be disconnected....

On brakes, you eventually end up with Toyota stuff as well, which can't possibly be the best solution but is rugged and practical....
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Well, the fact of the matter is that all CJs ultimately end up being modified with Toyota parts. In Pakistan the situation is very acute given virtual non-availability of original Jeep parts and only second rate stuff available where possible. Nevertheless, outside the US, the situation is supposedly quite similar to us with varying degrees.....

The first standard modification with good results is to replace the steering box with a Toyota one. This should take care of the wandering and the over responsive steering bits which apparently have always been a weak point of the CJ5 and CJ7 setups, particularly the Pakistani assembled ones that were quite inferior in make and quality. There might be a few other minor jugars on the steering assembly which I am not aware of but the Rawalpindi jeep makers have standardised over the years....

On the driveline, you did not mention which gear you have but I suspect its a Toyota one. There is a modification to the shafts which converts the crosses/assembly at both ends to a full Toyota ones which are more rugged. Normally one would have the Jeep/Dana setup on the diff ends and Toyota setup on the gear ends of the shafts. The Toyota ones should work well even with high driveline angles....

Bumpy ride is something that should not be a complaint on a CJ if you have the leafs set up properly and have decent shocks. There is no match of Rancho shocks (even second hand ones) on a CJ5/7 but any decent oil shocks should do a good job. Another thing to note is that the CJ7 has a stabilizer bar at the front which improves handling (and some extent the ride) by a huge amount. Not fully sure if its there on the 5 but usually it gets taken off and discarded by local mickeys over the years. For hardcore offroading the stabilizer bar should ideally be disconnected....

On brakes, you eventually end up with Toyota stuff as well, which can't possibly be the best solution but is rugged and practical....
    Thanx 4 the gr8 info Mr Suhaib , the 2 reasons i joined pakwheels,
    1) need some opinion frm experts.
    2) need your help to find / locate the stuff as most of you here are more experienced .
    3) if needed i might arrange my trip to RWP but again you have to hook me up with some decent / knowledgeable mechanic.
    4) Help me how to MANAGE all the work regarding my CJ.
    My rig is already equiped with toyota steering box . Rear drive shaft pinion is already modified with bolt on round plate set up.
    good pinion angle should be some wht like this
    Project CJ5 !! - degree2

i already have placed shims under the rear leafs ..instead of going for Cv shaft i was thinking to lower the T-case by simply placing the metal bushes undeneath the T-case plate and bolts.

My PLAN :
    1) change the leaf springs with stock to something more wider ones.( Need your help to find one)
    2) Placing stablizer bar with easy disconnects ( for hard core off road)
    3) Need Rancho 9000 series shocks and steering stablizer.
    4) Good 31'' A/T beefy tires. if i am wrong with tire size let me know.
    5) drag link ends and ball joints play / brakes all the minor stuff at the end.

Rite now i am bit confused guide me frm where should i start this project and collecting all the parts i require. need advise from other experts on pakwheels as well . Coz i know i wont be able to accomplish my goal without you guyz.
    Thankx

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Is Pakwheels supposed to help each other or its just about J peg's and showing off ? I hardly see any technical diccussion

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Is Pakwheels supposed to help each other or its just about J peg's and showing off ? I hardly see any technical diccussion
    Ofcourse its all about jpegs and showing off, technical discussions are BORING!!! and your facing stiff competition out here Post a pic of a Toyota or a Mitsubishi and just check out the response Can't guarantee on CJ pics but it would help understand things better..... and I wouldn't really count on any help out here... hahaha!

On a serious note, I would not recommend changing the leaf springs as stock leafs are the best ones for the CJs provided they are tuned and serviced properly. At max you should look at finding a set of rear CJ5/7 springs to replace the front ones given that you have a heavier engine up-front. Putting some weight at the back normally helps soften up the ride if your really front heavy as in your case with the bulkier B-engine.....

I don't really understand whats the issue with you driveline angle given what you have explained things should be OK. Perhaps pics would clarify but it seems that you probably would need to fix up multiple tihngs when you get it to the mechanic. Hameed Sumbul's CJ7 from Lahore went through a fullish workover recently out here and last I checked he was quite happy with the results.

On the other stuff, I think your headed in the right direction with your mods. There are a number of experienced CJ mechanics out here in Rawalpindi which I would be glad to hook you up with.

All the best!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@HSADIKK
    Dear Sorry for being off-topic but can you please post a pic of your chassis where the chassis number is punched.
    I am about to purchase a CJ5 but am stuck on this point that I can't seem to locate the chassis number on chassis itself. Please post a picture of chassis number on your ride so that I have an idea where to find it.
    Sorry for being off-topic again! thanks for your help

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mirasifjan View Post
    @HSADIKK
    Dear Sorry for being off-topic but can you please post a pic of your chassis where the chassis number is punched.
    I am about to purchase a CJ5 but am stuck on this point that I can't seem to locate the chassis number on chassis itself. Please post a picture of chassis number on your ride so that I have an idea where to find it.
    Sorry for being off-topic again! thanks for your help
    @mirasifjan
    u might find the chasis # punched on a small brass / metal plate attached on the wall behind the engine
    or
    It might be engraved either on the left or right side of chassis near the front mount of leaf springs ( Kammani )

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ HSADIKK

Why wider leaf springs????????

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@HSADIKK

That would be really helpful. I know there is no metal plate attached inside the engine bay for this purpose. I will now look on the chassis itself.
    Thanks alot & Best wishes for your project...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ofcourse its all about jpegs and showing off, technical discussions are BORING!!! and your facing stiff competition out here Post a pic of a Toyota or a Mitsubishi and just check out the response Can't guarantee on CJ pics but it would help understand things better..... and I wouldn't really count on any help out here... hahaha!

On a serious note, I would not recommend changing the leaf springs as stock leafs are the best ones for the CJs provided they are tuned and serviced properly. At max you should look at finding a set of rear CJ5/7 springs to replace the front ones given that you have a heavier engine up-front. Putting some weight at the back normally helps soften up the ride if your really front heavy as in your case with the bulkier B-engine.....

I don't really understand whats the issue with you driveline angle given what you have explained things should be OK. Perhaps pics would clarify but it seems that you probably would need to fix up multiple tihngs when you get it to the mechanic. Hameed Sumbul's CJ7 from Lahore went through a fullish workover recently out here and last I checked he was quite happy with the results.

On the other stuff, I think your headed in the right direction with your mods. There are a number of experienced CJ mechanics out here in Rawalpindi which I would be glad to hook you up with.

All the best!
    Dear Suhaib Bhai ,
    i hope this image would help to let you understand the problem with my driveline.

Project CJ5 !! - 2joint angle

Project CJ5 !! - cv angle

Cv Shaft for high angles
    Project CJ5 !! - A2XC 575x140

Suhaib bhai the thing is i am newbie and i need to diccuss/need opinions/suggestions from more experienced PK members to identify the problems i am facing . i think one should have knowledge before he gets rip off by mechanics and i don't want to spending again n again on the same thing coz at the end you are out of budget in terms of time n money.there are certain things one can do by himself but just because of the lack of time we go to mechanics and you have to make sure work is done as required. need your suggestions on leaf springs as well.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    @ HSADIKK

Why wider leaf springs????????
    @noman8ff - sorry i missed your post stock ones are 1.5'' wide and noisy.
    its bit hard to find OEM parts especially good bushes.
    1st less wandering , as its a short wheel base
    2nd i have B2 in it . 3rd bumpy ride..
    i was thinking to swap them with something close to YJ leafs abt 2.5''wide or vehicle with almost similar weight to cj and longer leafs will increase articulation as well .
    stock shackles are 3'' long bolt to bolt , i am looking fwd to give 1'' shackle lift and 2'' from the leafs over all 2'' to fit in atleast 31's .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i was thinking to swap them with something close to YJ leafs abt 2.5''wide or vehicle with almost similar weight to cj and longer leafs will increase articulation as well .
    stock shackles are 3'' long bolt to bolt , i am looking fwd to give 1'' shackle lift and 2'' from the leafs over all 2'' to fit in atleast 31's .
    Yes, YJ leafs would be alright if you can find a nice pack, but apart from YJs its quite difficult to see any Japanese leafs matching up to the performance of the Jeep ones.

However, the difference between 4 CJ7 rear leafs and the set of YJ leafs will not be astronomical. I believe the CJ7 rears are also 2.5 inches or so, while the fronts ones are narrower (~2inches). Having 2.5 inch CJ5/7 rear leafs at all corners makes the Cjs a bit more sturdier on the road specially if you have a heavy engine up-front. Its the more standard jugar though I understand that YJ springs should bolt up with some mods to the shackles/bushes. Anyways, its probably easier to find YJ leafs (from Quetta) rather than good CJ5/7 rears nowadays, but you must find a very clean set to make this worthwhile.

All this discussion may just be thoeretical unless we can see at least see pics of the vehicle, but to understand whats really happening you have to see and feel things in person.

My guess is that on the leafs you probably have a shackle/bush/setup issue, which you should look into first. There is a standard Toyota/Jeep shackle/bush jugaar out here which I don't really fully understand myself, but it seems to work. Basically the upper end of the shackle is Toyota while the lower remains stock! No wonder I love all this crap so much...

All the best!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

OK got it, thanks for the detailed information.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, YJ leafs would be alright if you can find a nice pack, but apart from YJs its quite difficult to see any Japanese leafs matching up to the performance of the Jeep ones.

However, the difference between 4 CJ7 rear leafs and the set of YJ leafs will not be astronomical. I believe the CJ7 rears are also 2.5 inches or so, while the fronts ones are narrower (~2inches). Having 2.5 inch CJ5/7 rear leafs at all corners makes the Cjs a bit more sturdier on the road specially if you have a heavy engine up-front. Its the more standard jugar though I understand that YJ springs should bolt up with some mods to the shackles/bushes. Anyways, its probably easier to find YJ leafs (from Quetta) rather than good CJ5/7 rears nowadays, but you must find a very clean set to make this worthwhile.

All this discussion may just be thoeretical unless we can see at least see pics of the vehicle, but to understand whats really happening you have to see and feel things in person.

My guess is that on the leafs you probably have a shackle/bush/setup issue, which you should look into first. There is a standard Toyota/Jeep shackle/bush jugaar out here which I don't really fully understand myself, but it seems to work. Basically the upper end of the shackle is Toyota while the lower remains stock! No wonder I love all this crap so much...

All the best!
    Suhaib Bhai u mean some what like this

Project CJ5 !! - shackle

You are rite about shackle and bushes problem . Do you have any idea if i can get stock bushes , good ones . If you know from where i can get these Jugar parts , kindly let me know the contact info.
    Thanking you in advance .
    yes one more thing are you sure about Queeta for Yj leafs ??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

All the best!
    Here are few pics

Project CJ5 !! - RearleaffrontMount2

Project CJ5 !! - RearDriveShaft3 1

Project CJ5 !! - RearDriveShaft 1

Project CJ5 !! - FrontShackleAngle2 1

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the pics...which are interesting

For starters you seem to be running narrower springs off of an early CJ5 / M38A1. CJ7 springs, even front ones are much wider... The thickness of the pack also appears excessive and probably results in a bumpy ride!

The shackle setup does not seem very promising either, but what I can't seem to understand is why the rear springs have been outboarded....
    Most CJs normally have the leafs right under the frame while yours seem to be 2 or 3 inches outside the frame rails with a bracket. This I beleive is called outboarding the leaf springs and is usually done to fit wider axles. I cannot tell if you are actually running an AMC 20 diff at the rear or not, but in case you are, I would suspect that your frame is either an early M38A1 or in the extreme case a Willy's MB! I may be off-target here, but the outboarding seems unusual with stock axles...

The driveline angle is probably similar to my CJ7 and hence not over excessive as such, but from the pics the shaft seems fully welded and no spline (or whatchamaycallit) to allow some movement/play for axle moving back/forward! Please correct me if I am wrong!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the pics...which are interesting

For starters you seem to be running narrower springs off of an early CJ5 / M38A1. CJ7 springs, even front ones are much wider... The thickness of the pack also appears excessive and probably results in a bumpy ride!

The shackle setup does not seem very promising either, but what I can't seem to understand is why the rear springs have been outboarded....
    Most CJs normally have the leafs right under the frame while yours seem to be 2 or 3 inches outside the frame rails with a bracket. This I beleive is called outboarding the leaf springs and is usually done to fit wider axles. I cannot tell if you are actually running an AMC 20 diff at the rear or not, but in case you are, I would suspect that your frame is either an early M38A1 or in the extreme case a Willy's MB! I may be off-target here, but the outboarding seems unusual with stock axles...

The driveline angle is probably similar to my CJ7 and hence not over excessive as such, but from the pics the shaft seems fully welded and no spline (or whatchamaycallit) to allow some movement/play for axle moving back/forward! Please correct me if I am wrong!
    Rear one i think is definatly AMC 20
    Project CJ5 !! - DSC00054

Project CJ5 !! - RearDiff1

I out-boarded the rear leafs to make my rig more stable on high speed turns . You are absolutely rite about the thick pack i need to remove few leafs .
    I think now you have an idea why i want to replace my leaf springs . Even with the army wrap around the leafs they keep on moving , checked the center bolt , placed the pieces of rubber at the ends , under each leaf , but all in vain the tuck.. tuck.. sound they make when leafs move within the pack its bit annoying .
    I know cj7 leafs are bit hard to find and so do Yj .. suggest me what should i go for .. if some how i manage to get good leafs i'll reverse the outboard thing.
    Rear Drive Shaft : What you said after looking the pic would be rite but actually there is a metal pipe covering the spline , there is a movement of 1'' to 1.5'' i guess .
    Drive line Angle : It might be rite as you said your cj has almost the same angle . but to eliminate any doubts / correct geometry i was planning to lower down my transfer case about an 1'' by simply placing the round metal / aluminum bushes between the frame and the plate supporting T- Case .

Project CJ5 !! - cjtransfer case lowering kit

Project CJ5 !! - tcase4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List