72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Few basic 4X4 questions

Yesterday for the first time i participated in the 4X4 event being organised by IJC near Simly dam area.

I took my suzuki LJ50, 2 stroke, 540cc and the result was around 70% against my expectations. There are few questions, which if answered, i shall be able to perform better in future.

1. On climbing a slippery area, why momentum is required more than power as most of the people were climbing with 4L and 2nd top gear? One yellow colored willys with diesel even did it with 4L/ 3rd gear.

2. If at all one has to go in 2nd gear with 4L, why not to go in 1st gear with 4H. Will there be any difference in 4L/ 2nd gear and 4H/ 1st gear?

3. Why not to climb without momentum, with very slow speed (almost zero speed), with 4L and 1st gear having proper mud tyres.

4. Wider tyres do matter but yesterday most of the easy going vehicles were with the original willys or potohar tyres which are not too wide, hardly 5" in width.

5. On the climb, on which i failed, in the first attempt, i tried with 4L/ 1st gear but due to no momentum covered only 40% of the climb. On the second attempt, i tried it with 4L/ 2nd gear, i covered 85% of the climb but got stuck there because of loss of power. I had purely on road tyres, unsuitable for slippery terrain. Pls explain this situation and recommend for future.

Waiting for replies.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by laparwah View Post
    joys of 2l cannt be achieved on auto hubs , am i right ?
    Sorry sir missed this one earlier... I think 2L can be achieved with auto-hubs if you have 4x4 engager separate from the H/L transfer case shifter. On most of the older Hilux boxes and some TLCs, the 4x4 is engaged via a button (which normally is a PIA) but it allows you to drop vehicle in Low gear without pressing the button...

2L can also be achieved with manual hubs if you drop the car in 4L but do not engage the hubs at the front. I suppose the front drive-shaft remains engaged in this case....
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good job and indeed very pertinent querry by noman.
    in my humble understanding it greatly vary vehicle to vehicle but for off roads 4H may not be used unless you are in open runs and its required and meant for better traction, moreover probably the owner or driver is the person who is required to exactly synchronise with his ride to feel what gear is required at what moment depending upon the behaviour of the ride,once i happen to drive FJ70 without 4x4 where one hour prior i remained struck with Hilux LN series with 4L so its mostly with different type of 4x4
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post
    Good job and indeed very pertinent querry by noman.
    in my humble understanding it greatly vary vehicle to vehicle but for off roads 4H may not be used unless you are in open runs and its required and meant for better traction, moreover probably the owner or driver is the person who is required to exactly synchronise with his ride to feel what gear is required at what moment depending upon the behaviour of the ride,once i happen to drive FJ70 without 4x4 where one hour prior i remained struck with Hilux LN series with 4L so its mostly with different type of 4x4
    I agree..... 100%
    Be nice to the ppl while going up.. you might meet them on your way down

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks babur
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

on climbing a partial muddy hill in a LR discovery diesel - I just engaged Low range difflock - and you are good to go, climbed the thing like it had claws.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List