Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude

-Intro-
    There were lyrics, perhaps unbeknownst, at the time, reminiscing, perhaps more often than we would have cared for, perhaps more often than was appreciated. They, the lyrics, went on from milestone to milestone, from one achievement to the next, from one hurdle till the other. “As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death……”

It is that fear of the unknown, that desire to succeed, that want to want more, that camaraderie, that essence, that fulfillment, that self actualization, that focus, that function, that made us proud to be men during the week of 15<sup>th</sup> July – 22<sup>nd</sup> July 2011.

Conception started eons ago, almost as soon as the first Team Unimog (TU) Punga tour (https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...nimerg-butogah) ended. That TU trip was inconceivable for matters that are too plenty to cover again. TU decided that it was important that such trips be restricted to a cycle of 2 years. Mature words, but perhaps spoken to soon. Not all the G4 could make that trip, and for those unacquainted with the acronym, G4 is nomenclature used to describe 4 of us with too many kind traits for Pakwheels to accept and not censor. Suffice is to say that “Your Enemy’s My Enemy” is our moto. Anyways, hence, two years seemed too distant.

Fast forward, TU had a strange addition, surprisingly, it wasn’t a Unimog, but I guess friendship and company is thicker than steel and a chassis. It wasn’t German, and it wasn’t even the same classification. You’ll see it as you continue to frequent this thread I hope. The same two Unimogs that you are well acquainted with were stripped through and through the whole year, all pending the experience the drivers gained last time around. I cannot count the number of critical spares that were carried, for all three vehicles. I cannot, unfortunately, also count, and for our wives’ peace of mind, the amount of Quaid-e-Azams we had to let go off, empty, empty wallets- also, to the gallows with online and mobile banking!

13, the so called “unlucky number”, was the actual number of people who would go down and make history on this trip. 13 people, 13 men, of different backgrounds, of different ages, would forever imprint their memories with an out worldly experience. For many, it would be the first time they would have looked at our country, the beautiful Pakistan, in a completely new light. For others, who were better travelled within Pakistan, they obviously keep seeing things that beckon them to come back again and again.

The route, though decided well in advance, was at the mercy of Mother Nature. Landslides, flooding, law and order, altitude, river crossings and other fragile infrastructure, would all have to be taken into account. Resident locals, as many contacts as we were able to obtain, were critical in providing us with up-to-date and validated information. With all constants and variables where they were, the route was decided and set in stone unless mishaps on the way made way for contingencies.

Lahore (for Lahoris) - Islamabad – Abbotabad – Mansehra – Ballakot – Kaghan – Naran – Jalkhad – Lulusar Lake – Gitidas – Babusar Pass – Chillaas – Jaglot – Astore – Chillum Chowkey – Sheosar Lake (Deosai) – Kaala Paani (Deosai) – Bara Paani (Deosai) – Teesra Paani (Deosai) – Sadpara Lake - Skardu – Shiggar – Skardu – Lower Kachura at Shangrilla – Soak Nala – Lower Kachura – KKH (Skardu – Gilgit Road) – Jaglot – Chillaas – Babusar Pass – Gitidas – Lulusar Lake – Jalkhad – Naran – Kaghan – Ballakot – Mansehra – Abbotabad – Islamabad – Lahore (for Lahoris)

Whilst this is a mere introduction, and by no means exhaustive, expect additions to keep coming your way. Notables, and worthy mentions include, but are not limited to Nanga Parbat, and the various views we got of the majestic peak from parts of the KKH and Deosai. Road conditions on a whole were extremely poor, owing to the rebuild of the KKH, and the floods of the recent past. These conditions were not only tormenting for us, but more so for the three stallions that we were riding. Perhaps the most enjoyable and memorable parts of the trips were our camps which would have scored no less than 5-Stars on any hospitality matrix. The highlights for our rides were definitely the water crossings at Bara Paani and Teesra Paani in Deosai (one of the largest and highest Plateaus of the world).

It is prohibitively challenging to summarize 7 days of travel in a few paragraphs, so I hope you will sit back and thoroughly enjoy the pictures and videos.

-Outro-
    With that being said, many of us who participated will miss each other the most, and in closing I quote simple words Bo Jackson said some while ago; “If I miss anything about the sport, it’s the camaraderie of teammates.”

- Team Unimog, Pakistan

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6003339748 b51518d4e4 b

The horses at Soak Nala, between Upper Kachura and Lower Kachura
    Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6122780725 c9b7ab8348 b

The Fields of Gold
    Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6002626457 cf7f84b44e b

Shangrilla Skardu, Gilgit-Baltistian, Pakistan
    Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6127358687 0fdd8b29ca b

The Droplet of Sheosar Lake, Deosai
    Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6033114526 a36b5f5cb3 b

Wonderful gift from a wonderful friend - Janj

An even more wonderful gift from a wonderful friend - Janj

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    and we hate rich people who dont share diamonds with the clan.....
    what happened to the diamonds that were suppose to make mochi a bloody rich !!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Guru G you really got pro pictures... maza aa gaya yaar picture quality daikh kay...

i guess Butt is only lightening up the ciggerette for GG .... he has the high Attitude sickness because he didnt had ample water viched in while going up Babusar.... he was the best Chotta Mr. DIY and proved to be the best replacement Unimog driver while i was viched near Bhera on wayback after driving DeeMog for 35hours from Chillas....

Ahmed Butt ki Jayho!!

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 278941
    Thumbs Up for Butt

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile Great Team Player

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    Another youngster, who has undoubtedly won the respect of many of us seniors. His dedication and commitment to the whole trip will forever be cherished. What spirit, what amazing attitude. A true team player, and ready to take things to the next level when nobody else was. Jay ho Atta kee!!

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6002901383 ea2f048f43 b

Rao.
    True Team player during the whole trip

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Intros

That's all for tonight gents. Hope you're enjoying the pics.

Rao.
    very wel said intros about individuals
    Well, all three drivers were brilliant, it was never easy to drive for such long and on such a terrain. You guys rock!! DeeDee, Bash & Rao

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
    Read the message written on Romano's Shirt, this was his feeling while traveling in the night
    lolz, bash.....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile Auto Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
    And almost full-time Navigator of BeeMog, best part was Auto Drive from BataKundi to Jalkhad and night descent from Babusar to Chilaas & also part time BeeMog driver on terrains like DeoSai
    Sepcially AutoPilot Mode

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

The J man, (and believe me Junaid, I have been asked to write some of this by some people who's opinion I cannot ignore), was a softie in the beginning, but surprisingly, excellent energy levels were witnessed as soon as we crossed back into Islamabad. Jay Ho J Man Kee.

Rao.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Mr DIY

it was no surprise to me and Bash as we know no one can cross Naran without a DIY if hes crossing Naran the first time.... in 2008 BeeMog had a high temperature and in 2010 DeeMog fired up ... we were actually mentally preparing Guru G for it....
    in the end good job by Bash and Kashif
    DIY was too good, whenever and whereever it was required and Alhamdulillah it worked every time. Great work guys and rightly mentioned on Mogs as Mr. DIY

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@junaidahmad
    welcome to the clan beautay
    When Nothing Else Work, Team Unimog has the Solution....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very well captured boy...

agree with raohamid, it was my, Bash and fihsak 2nd trip through chillam side and we enjoyed it again... last year we missed the camping due to floods... this year our wish came true and we camped, had a bonfire and also Bash cook us the yummiest dinner as both fihsak and romancho aka romano were tired/down....

Serene Chillum. There was no noise of anything but the quiet of mother nature. Lovely place. Again, I have to say the photos don't do justice. I wish I could have braked for a while in the day and just taken in the lovely landscape. Unfortunately, we were pushing for time.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6018978127 e9d1831421 b
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Attitude at Altitude

m luvin the Attitude at altitude.... great shot raohamid and thanks to fihsak to lighten us up with his new LED headlight.... i guess we were only using 2....

Camping at Chillum. The idea was to go ahead into Deosai and camp the night over there. In hindsight, while I initially opposed the idea of staying in Chillum and urged to push to Deosai, I think it was a good idea to do a day pass at Deosai and spend the night camping at Chillum. It was freezing cold the whole night, and throughout, I was just imagining how the weather would have been had we camped at Deosai instead. Great food was yet again cooked by the usual suspects but I think the first signs of travel wear out and ticklish temperaments were also experienced in lovely Chillum.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6019024149 f9db61cd32 b
    Quote Originally Posted by fihsak View Post
    Beautiful shot...
    Rigs are looking much more agressive
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default isko kehtay hain 14 tabak roshan....

thanks GG for capturing the LEDified moment

in the night when nothing else works .... Yes TU has the solution and this time 24v LED truck-lite.... dosto isko laga daala tu life jheengalala .... believe me bijli ka bill bhi buhat kam hai, 60% less then what my previous H3 lights were consuming....

happy mogger

The first of the tents are up! DeeDee's mog was the sole source of light for us during setting up the tents and eating. Allah Deemog ko zindagi dey. Helped us a lot whenever we needed loads of light.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6019021419 9b6da03e28 b
    Quote Originally Posted by KWB25 View Post
    Excellent shot!!!
    LEDs are doing a great job....DeeMog ki jayho...
    Jayho Kashif jayho....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Fihsan, we are here to make a difference, so this is my Jay style, the audience on the left will get a salute from left hand, and if you have problem then stand on the right hand side of the road, you will get your salami

Quote Originally Posted by fihsak View Post
    @bash
    show off at-least salute to right hand se kiya kar, even Germans do it with right hand
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

First to enter and Last to venture, Mr. Ahmed Bond Butt

Sorry Boys, I left this thread on Sunday and now have 14 pages to cover, its hard to catch up!

Now we had gained some altitude, and were roughly 11,000 ft high. This is also where the first altitude illness casualty took place, with Ahmed Butt going out first... I think.
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Historic & Heated Discussion at Chilum Choki!

Lovely Set Again GuruGee

Well, thanks for accepting the offer for staying at Chilum Rao else we have been killed by the insects at DeoSai. I was the first one to stop at the camp site and my pointer "Romano" was pushing me that its getting dark we should find a camp site and stay. Then I went 3 Km ahead to stop DeeMog and sent them back, wireless in Rao's jeep wasnt working, so I had to drive another 30 KM to Chilum Chowki to convince rao to come back and stay, we had lovely chat that night!

Please notice the change in outfits! Yes, we started to feel the cold. This was also my first experience of night photography, and its a whole different ball game. I'm not too fond of it, perhaps because I'm not very good at it yet. Its too clumsy, you need a tripod, you need a kick butt camera to ensure focus gets locked, you need to point a light at the subject, or else you're just going to be shooting to infinity, bulb mode keeping the shuuter engaged Aaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!! . Different experience, but perhaps too tedious. I didn't enjoy it too much. Its so much easier and more enjoyable to visualize, frame, capture and smile.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6019023141 dbcb95a7a5 b
    The first of the tents are up! DeeDee's mog was the sole source of light for us during setting up the tents and eating. Allah Deemog ko zindagi dey. Helped us a lot whenever we needed loads of light.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6019021419 9b6da03e28 b
    Camping at Chillum. The idea was to go ahead into Deosai and camp the night over there. In hindsight, while I initially opposed the idea of staying in Chillum and urged to push to Deosai, I think it was a good idea to do a day pass at Deosai and spend the night camping at Chillum. It was freezing cold the whole night, and throughout, I was just imagining how the weather would have been had we camped at Deosai instead. Great food was yet again cooked by the usual suspects but I think the first signs of travel wear out and ticklish temperaments were also experienced in lovely Chillum.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6019024149 f9db61cd32 b

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ams0007, yes wings would have saved 10mins you spent to fetch the cap

Quote Originally Posted by ams0007 View Post

ultimate wilderness at KKH, wish I had wings to fly……..Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 281104 Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 281105

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

& beautiful reply , Thank You Bro!

Quote Originally Posted by ToofaneBatameezi View Post
    Beautiful people, beautiful vehicles, beautiful photographs and beautiful SHOW all round.

IJC, 4x4 Engaged and TU is the sole reason behind my regret for not being in Lhr.

I want the 4X4 engaged shirt and goodies. Who should I contact and pay?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Show Off!

It was hardly 4 Kgs, look at the face expressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarar___ View Post

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 281416

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Beauty and the Beast

Who is Who in the picture below is left to the younger guys on this thread

Lovely Pro Shot!

I will leave the comments bit to the younger guys on this thread, but suffice is to say, there was much too much affection at times.

Team Unimog Punga 2011: Solitude at Altitude - 6010694099 3f36266158 b

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Romano, Koun Vich Hua, Kon Nahee, is ke liyay stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by romano View Post
    Kashif, tu tau burri tarah VICH ho gaya...
    Thank You Irshad, we missed you and Doc Sb!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnam View Post
    excellent peoples true offroaders deedee bhai basarat bhai and rao bhai
    Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    Good going Team Unimog

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

User Tag List