Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Engine predicament

Hey guys

My Jeep has a 1.8 4-cylinder Toyota carbie engine -- the 2y. Problem is it is giving off tooooooo much blue smoke -- the mech says the rings and valve seals need to be replaced.

Is it worth getting this engine overhauled? Am I better off getting a used replacement engine? If so, which engines would best suit my needs -- I basically want a nice daily driver which isn't barbaric like some of these 2jz monsters :p -- fuel economy is a valid concern. If the cost of the overhaul isn't much different from the cost of the new engine, I may bite the bullet and get 'er done, but I do not want to replace the transmission etc.

Any suggestions would be helpful

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'd say rebuilt ... getting a kabuli engine is just like playing russi roulette !!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It depends on your budget, but the 1.8 engine is too small for the CJ5 to begin with and you would always be better off with a good second hand implant. If 2JZ is an overkill, you can look at 1JZ, or perhaps the 3S would be the best choice for you given mileage etc.

Do you know exactly what transmission/transfer case are you running?
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hey Suhaib

Actually, I got a bit of a pleasant surprise the other day. Apparently the engine I'm running is not a 2y, it's a 22r. The 22r is a 2.4 that came in the Cressida and those unbreakable Hiluxes of yore. The engine has good low-end and has quite a following due to its toughness.

The engine still needs works though -- if not a complete overhaul then some new rings and valve covers. Given this new information what do you feel about the replacement now?

The 1jz, 2jz sound good. Do you know how much both of them cost -- both the turbo & non turbo versions? I think I'm running the original 4 speed gearbox that came with the CJ5 -- forward reverse gear, T90 I think? The transfer case seems to be original as well.

Thanks for your help yet again

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

T18 transmission...I think. The T90 was a three speed. The transfer case is most probably a Dana T20.

Any advice is appreciated.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Right!!! I was in similar situation couple of weeks back...
    however, I went for an overhaul of my surf engine (2L TD) ...and although i ended up spending same as kabli engine....but i am happy with the overhaul....
    its done by an ex-toyota technician......he took 4 days....cleaned each and every bit of engine.....and now the engine runs and sounds waaay better than before...mind you...it wasnt bad before either...

so in short....what convinced me to go for overhaul was...that there is no way of knowing whats the kabli engine like...how it was used....most important...the engine shop selling is locally used or kabli?there is no way to tell ...atleast i couldnt...and i visited many shops in bilal gunj....and they are very dodgy people there...

i will be posting the pictures and wee story of overhaul soon...you can see that as well ...maybe it will help you make up your mind!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Normally if you would go to the main Kabarias they would tell you if an engine is Kabuli or if its locally used and there is a price difference between the two. If you don't trust the kabaria enough to distinguish between locally used / ganuine kabuli stuff, you definately should not be buying stuff off of them.

Once you are confident that its a genuine Kabuli engine, you can quite safely take a bet that its something that is done 40-60k and is in reasonably decent shape (around 80%). In some cases the kabarias would also guarantee that if there is any blow etc they would replace or return the engine. Its important to get such a guarantee for the newer petrol engines where the various external components that you get (AFM, computers etc) may or may not match up and need to be replaced....

All said and done, a complete overhaul done by an expert mechanic is unmatchable in terms of long term satisfaction and getting the best out of what you have. At times the performance may even feel better than stock once you run in the engine completely which may be as late as 10k+ kms (Akif Janjua estimate). The reason for this could be the use of slightly bigger pistons etc. or may just be my perception. Going to a good/great mechanic cannot be overemphasized here!

The 22R is a decent enough engine for your needs with 108 HP and 138 ft.lbs (though there might be some variation between the models). I assume that rebuilding it completely and properly could cost you around 50-60k (again there is variation between genuine and chinese parts) and may be less if some parts (pistons etc are reused). Ideally you should also look into changing the carb (which is available ~15k) to get the best results....

All th best!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hey Suhaib,

Thanks for the informative reply, as always. The 22R, being such a tough engine in the first place, wouldn't require a complete overhaul I think. I think the blue smoke could be sorted out by replacing the piston rings and valve seals.

Its just the risk of buying a used engine from the kabaria that unnerves me a bit. Seeing as how the 1JZ is a bit north of 80k here in LHR, i was wondering about which engine would offer me the most bang for my buck?...lets say around 40-50k. I also want to keep my T18 and Dana 300 transfer case, and don't want any complicated modifications. A simple bolt on job would be best

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List