0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    The SR is on hold. However, since the primary purpose IS offroading (with these wheels it'd be inconceivable to aim for flat-out, in-a-straight-line speed)...it IS likely to be beneficial, after all. Theoretically, at least.

I probably was not clear enough on the SR.

With the shackle in the normal position, the tire/axle moves forward on a bump and pushes against an obstacle which supposedly has some benefits during offroading though it results in a bumpier ride on the track/trail....

SR primarily has clear advantages on rally/trail/road going vehicles (softer more controlled ride) though also comes with some issues (front shaft play, steering geometry) which can be problematic particularly on TLCs if not addressed properly...

I would recommend that you let go of the shackle reversal at this stage as you would be saving yourself some work and not letting go of anything significant! All the best!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fouad please do put up the pictures of the body loose mounted on the chasis, would love to get a sneak preview at what this would look like at the end, a very ambitious project indeed, best of luck with it.
    And please don't kill your Impala, while it can be done and you can certainly make it happen, PLEASE dont kill the Impala, if you don't like it let me have it, I'll love it for ever but do not kill it. You already have one BAD offroad vehicle, how about the keeping the Impala as a bad *** road going vehicle.
    "A car is just a car unless it's my car" - Faraz Arif

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    I probably was not clear enough on the SR.

With the shackle in the normal position, the tire/axle moves forward on a bump and pushes against an obstacle which supposedly has some benefits during offroading though it results in a bumpier ride on the track/trail....

SR primarily has clear advantages on rally/trail/road going vehicles (softer more controlled ride) though also comes with some issues (front shaft play, steering geometry) which can be problematic particularly on TLCs if not addressed properly...

I would recommend that you let go of the shackle reversal at this stage as you would be saving yourself some work and not letting go of anything significant! All the best!
    God bless you for the good wishes, and once again, thanks for the input, Kiani Saab. Re: Ultey Jhooley...I'm still not going to TOTALLY let go of the idea, although there is a great deal of appeal in what you say, Boss. It would certainly reduce the mudguard jugaar to cater for rearward travel of the axle, thereby cutting down on costs, etcetera.

Like I said...we shall see, brother. I'm keeping an open mind, for now.

Thanks a bunch, regardless!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by farazarif View Post
    Fouad please do put up the pictures of the body loose mounted on the chasis, would love to get a sneak preview at what this would look like at the end, a very ambitious project indeed, best of luck with it.
    And please don't kill your Impala, while it can be done and you can certainly make it happen, PLEASE dont kill the Impala, if you don't like it let me have it, I'll love it for ever but do not kill it. You already have one BAD offroad vehicle, how about the keeping the Impala as a bad *** road going vehicle.
    Thanks for your interest, and words of encouragement, Faraz.

I will, indeed, make sure I get a ton of photographs of the body mounted on the frame, and post as soon as is possible.

Re: The '65 Impala.

Actually, this is a completely different project altogether...so I won't go into major details over here.

I'm getting this Impala dirt-cheap. And I mean RIDICULOUSLY cheap. It's a chassis and body...with axles and wheels...but doesn't have an engine, or transmission, or a dashboard, or a bonnet, or any interior fittings, at all. In short, it's a khokha. Nothing but a body shell, gathering rust.

What I'm planning to do, is make this a "resto-mod" of sorts. A hot-rod, if you will. Enormous, hyper-powerful engine (perhaps a 4.7 V8 2UZ). Front and rear axles (Possibly, 80 Series TLC). Some nice, fat wheels. A modified interior (perhaps a new Toyota Crown). And all of these modifications; wearing that beautiful, iconic, utterly drop-dead-gorgeous '65 Impala body. Conceptually, I find it intriguing, for a high-power engine like the 2UZ to drive 4wd capable axles in a CAR. A BEAUTIFUL car. Think of the power. The traction. The sheer GRUNT! And my reasons for this resto-mod are NOT to have just "another 4wd". This is NOT a car I'm going to take off-roading...it's a car I'm going to use on the street WITH high range 4wd engaged...to put ALL that +250 HP to the tarmac. Through ALL the wheels. And, if I undertake this project, I'll try my level best to make sure it's THE most beautiful resto-mod, possible. Of course, if you have a '65 Impala bonnet, engine, transmission, shaft, dashboard, steering wheel, pedals, door interiors, mirrors, seats, floor carpet, and windshields available...I'd be more than happy to buy them off you, and keep the vehicle stock.

I realise that purists may pooh-pooh at the idea of a resto-mod. They'd say "keep it stock, stupid". That's a view they're entitled to...and I respect that. Let's face it, though...in Pakistan, restoring such a vehicle to stock condition would be very VERY difficult, indeed. It'd require a sh*tload of parts to be imported from the US, at exorbitantly prohibitive costs. Something, which I have neither the patience for, nor the cash for. Alternatively...if I do NOT resto-mod this car, it will remain just a shell. A hunk of unused metal gathering rust. Which would be a tragedy, because the '65 Impala is one of THE most beautiful shapes...EVER. So...contrary to what you're saying...I'm NOT killing it. I'm bringing it back to life. In a completely new avatar.

For all I know, this pipe-dream of mine may not even be POSSIBLE. Let alone practical. But, until I don't have empirical evidence of this being impossible...the Toyota-Impala-Chevrolet-Crown...will be preying on my mind.

I think I'll call it...a Chevron.

Or a PIMPALA!

(Kuchh issi tarah ki zehni beemari ka shikar hua tha mein, jab woh Toyo-Mog ke khayalaat aaye. Bas, ussi ke nateejey mein yeh Phantom saali banaane chal parey!)

While I STILL don't have actual pictures of the Impala I'm going to buy (tomorrow, or the day after)...this is what a four door '65 Impala looks like.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357063

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LOL

I've hijacked my OWN thread, by starting off about a different project altogether.

Let's get back to talking about the Phantom...and NOT the Chevron.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fouad Sahab.. It was lovely going through the thread again. Hearing about it a lot from SK and honestly I have been trying my best to get off work soon enough to pay Jamil bhai a visit to see the project. IA in a few days.
    Thank you for sharing all the pictures and info.
    Ehsan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ehsankiani View Post
    Fouad Sahab.. It was lovely going through the thread again. Hearing about it a lot from SK and honestly I have been trying my best to get off work soon enough to pay Jamil bhai a visit to see the project. IA in a few days.
    Thank you for sharing all the pictures and info.
    Ehsan
    God bless you Kiani Saab. It's really, words of encouragement from brothers like you that gives me renewed vigour to pursue this project, tooth and nail!

I'm in town over this weekend, Monday and Tuesday. And I'll be a VERY frequent visitor to Jamil during this time. So who knows, we might bump into one another, Insha Allah!

God bless.

Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default I Just Couldn't Wait

After a visit to Jamil Ustaad's establishment this morning, I was absolutely delighted to see that they'd been loose-bolting the Phantom onto the frame.

The subsequent pictures tell the story of today. 'Nuff said.

For a referenced idea of exactly WHAT this beast is going to be...someone was nice enough to park a Mistubishi Pajero Intercooler LWB adjacent to it, which gives an idea of the sort of dimensions we're looking at.

Enjoy.

Fouad.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357810 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357811 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357812 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357813 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357814

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357818 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357819 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357820 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357821 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -357822

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy thus far.

The SOA arrangement along with the wheels allows for 8.5 inches of travel from leaf-spring to bump stop. The front mudguards are at a comfortable 9 inches above the tyre tread. Which means that even if the leaf springs are hyper-extended, the mudguards can NOT brush against the tyres.

No shackle reversal. It's just not needed. Superficial expenditure, at best.

As a reversal of an earlier decision, this is NOT going to be a two seater. It's going to take five full adults. AND have a smaller "daala" in the rear.

Front mudguards will be broadened by 3 inches each. The tyres stick out about 7-8 inches on either side. Overspray!

The changes in the angles of approach and departure are astonishing. At least +60 degrees, front and rear. Probably more. There is virtually no overhang at the front or at the back. This beast SHOULD climb over pretty much anything thrown in its way.

Can you tell HOW excited I am? LOL

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That's all for now.

More updates tomorrow!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Great Going ..... Couldn't wait to see the Final outcome of this FJ40 , been visiting this thread from day 1 , and really like ur narrations and mutual discussion's with SK & other [though some times couldn't understand the technical juggars discussion ]
    Umer Siddiqui ... Inline Six .... ** 2JZ-GE **

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 060276 View Post
    Great Going ..... Couldn't wait to see the Final outcome of this FJ40 , been visiting this thread from day 1 , and really like ur narrations and mutual discussion's with SK & other [though some times couldn't understand the technical juggars discussion ]
    Thanks for the comments, and good wishes.

To be entirely honest, I have hardly ANY technical know-how, at all. And certainly nowhere NEAR that of the Kiani Brothers, NN, Tareen, and of course my Guruji Aamir Bhai.

What I DO have is a burning passion for these vehicles. An insatiable appetite for experimentation. An almost pedantic obsession with detail.

This Phantom, is an ongoing manifestation of all of the above. The fact that I have some wonderful, knowledgeable friends to provide intellectual anchorage, fanciful imagination, and rock-solid technical advice, just sweetens the deal!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

After spending most of the morning at Jamil's place, there's been somewhat of a change in plans, from a post I'd written earlier.

It's quite a dramatic change, too.

Having sat in the Phantom chassis, and worked out things like ride height, roof height, leg space, etc, I thought I'd bandy about with some experiments. First off, was an idea to create a completely "enclosed" FJ45LV type body, with four doors, to seat 5 adults. We pitched two doors, in tandem on one side, and I must say, the result was quite beautiful. However, I've already got one SUV (the RR) and a full-sized pickup (the FZJ79)...so getting another pickup or SUV didn't quite appeal.

Soooo...we're building a twin cabin pickup, instead!

Four doors, five seats, and a small tub in the rear. The tub, of course, will be removable, giving me the option of leaving just the the double cabin mounted on the frame. The doors, of course, will be removable. As will be the roof, for the complete open-air experience, if required.

My logic for this, is simple.

As a family man, with three grown children, I'd want them (and the wife) to be seated WITHIN the Phantom on all those trips that I have planned for it. A single cabin, or even king cabin wouldn't allow this. I'd want for them to be comfortable INSIDE the air-conditioned / heated environments of the cabin, should the need arise. Alternatively, for those hair-raising, thrill-seeking moments, the Phantom should be easily converted into a topless, no-frills, hardcore off-roader that seats 5, should the whim seize hold of you.

I'm attaching a picture of an FJ45LV. Imagine this vehicle, with monster tyres, and a very SHORT front and rear overhang, which incorporates a pickup tub of just 2.5 to 3 feet. I speak for myself, when I say that the concept looks mouth-wateringly sexy. To me, at least.

Comments, gentlemen?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -358359

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Re: Post #254.

I think that colour looks smoking hot too. But with a black snorkel, black fittings, black embellishments, black goley, etc.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Uff...Now I WANT an SUV Shape, after all!

Wow.

I want this, too. Badly. Very badly.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -358371

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Wow.

I want this, too. Badly. Very badly.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 358371
    In reality, this picture is closer to my perceived concept of Phantom's double cabin. The Phantom's "daala" would begin almost 1/3rd of the way in the wheel arch. The rear overhang in this picture is about right. These tyres are STILL much smaller, though. And the Phantom's ride height is about 6-8 inches higher. I have a feeling that the wheel arches would have to be sheared wider to accommodate the tyres.

God...this machine is SO beautiful.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Second Guesses Can Be Costly!

And now, I'm having second thoughts...AGAIN.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -358374

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Rough Artistic Rendition

A quick photoshop effort.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -358388

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -358495