0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More

This set of pictures will give you an idea of the size of this beast. In the second picture, Jamil Ustaad's "chhota" is seen, handling the doors (and a cup of tea). He's just a little shorter than I am (6ft 3 inches).

Whoa!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365695

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365696
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Still Some More

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365697 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365698

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great Nice to see the pics rolling again.

Wanted to point out somthing.
    I hope that the rear door of the Phantom will not look similar to the front.
    You need to change the window frame and give a lil bit of the wheel arch to the rear door.
    I am sure that will be in the plan.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Darwaazey Waali Jugaar

@hsumbal

Absolutely, brother.

These last two pics show the fitting of a squeezed door onto the Phantom.

The rear door will be shorter, and will conform to the wheel arch (as per original plan). This will (hopefully) make the cabin's shape more aggressive, more compact, and less monotonous.

Of course, this door (in the photos) is just a saancha. The actual one will be brand new, and made from gleaming, sparkling sheet metal, Insha Allah!

Judge the results for yourself.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365725 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365726

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now that looks like a rear door. I knew that you will not compromise on attention to the detail.
    What bout the engine and gear box?
    Do you plan the mock up simultaneouly?
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The engine and the gearbox are still, safely housed in my home. I have no plans for now, to move them to the area where the rebuild is taking place.

The coachwork will be taking at least 2-3 months. I am probably going to shift the engine-tranny a couple of weeks before the coachwork will finish. We'll synchronise it in such a way that the TLC (tender loving care) for the engine and gearbox, takes about as much time as that coachwork to finish. We'll put the engine inside, immediately thereabouts.

After the engine is bolted on, and fixed to perfection (Insha Allah), the Phantom will be undergoing extensive T&A (test and adjustment). Suspension, gearing, steering, brakes, diffs, fuel, electrical, mechanical...in short all the systems are going to be thoroughly tested and trialed, for not less than 3-4 weeks. Then, we're going to strip down everything to the tiniest part once again, and paint / chrome / buff everything to perfection.

Only then, will we get the finished product...which in itself, is a contradiction of terms, since it won't really be finished until the ergonomics, the aesthetics, and the visuals are completed.

I know...this sounds like an intense job. A thankless, laborious, long drawn out job. But to quote McDonald's...

I'm LOVIN' it!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Khaane Ke Waqfey Ke Baad Ka Khel

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365844 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365845

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365846 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -365847

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That looks really nice! Jamil Ustad is truly an artist with a hammer and a blow torch.....
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    That looks really nice! Jamil Ustad is truly an artist with a hammer and a blow torch.....
    This is just the first fit, Suhaib Bhai. Unfortunately, I was under strict orders to "get back home RIGHT NOW, Fouad"...otherwise I might have stuck around for a little while longer. What we're going to do is shave the flare a little more. Possibly by an inch or so. Since the rear springs have their shackles at the back, the tyre will be travelling UP and BACK, rather than forward. So about an inch more of space between the tyre and the "flange" of the wheel well, should serve us nice enough.

We're concentrating on just one side for now. Once we have the right pattern for one side, reproducing the other should be fairly simple.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And with reference to your remarks about Jamil Ustaad. He's an absolute genius. And I've never seen a denter so caught up in his work. After the initial set of briefings and discussions...he's pretty much on autopilot. It's a pleasure watching the man at work!

What I HAVE told him, is to make an exact blueprint of this beast, so it can be reproduced accurately. I have at LEAST 3-4 more friends (who aren't regular PakWheelers) who're following this rebuild carefully, and have 1984 FJ40s standing in their homes, just waiting to be turned into mini-Phantoms!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

While the coachwork continues, I have a question for some of our brothers who are experienced with SOA conversion (yes of course, this is a specific reference to ehsankiani and tareen, amongst others...LOL).

The Phantom is a big, tall beast. Like I've mentioned elsewhere, there's been quite a shift in its overall dimensions. It's total height gained is approximately 14-15 inches. It's been widened 20 odd inches. It's been stretched by about 30 inches, overall. The body sits very high, due to the SOA and the height of the tires.

The gear ratios have been changed, so that the engine delivers optimum power to those big, big wheels. In theory, at least, the vehicle will have a a very efficient amount of torque, indeed.

My questions pertain to:-

1. How do I ensure that axle wrap is avoided?

2. How do I ensure that all possible power is adequately passed on to the wheels?

3. Owing to the increase in ride height, how do I make sure that the vehicle remains stable, when there's so much (potential) articulation going on?

4. There's a total of 8 inches "travel" possible between axle and bump stop. There's a total of 9 inches "travel" possible between tyre wall and mudguard. This implies that the suspension will sooner hit the bump stop, an inch earlier than the mudguards will rub against the tyre. Is this enough? (I should have taken the bloody pictures to illustrate all these points, dammit)

Your viewpoints are solicited, please.

P.S. You guys know how incredibly non-technical, and how non-knowledgeable I am. Replies in simple, non-technical language please! LOL

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    30 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good going janab
    If travelling was free............ You know what i mean

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This Phantom rebuild is certainly affecting my mental health.

Aaj subah se, mein apni 350cc Suzuki Quad King 4WD ATV ko maani khez nazron se dekh raha hoon. It'd make a pretty hot custom rebuild, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -366029

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Shhhh...

I bought the Impala!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Is there a more beautiful car in the entire world, than the 1965 Chevy Impala?

Perhaps.

But I really don't think so.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -366265

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fouad bhai, the Impala looks sexy. Did you buy the same 2 door model - if yes then its very very sexy.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm afraid not, Azmat. The Impala I've managed to lay my hands on is pretty much a complete dhaancha. It's one of the four door, pillar-less versions, though...which still lends it possibilities. In any case, it's quite bereft of fittings, and it's going to be a monumental pain in the a$$ to import all those stock parts from abroad. So from the very start it's going to be a restomod, rather than a restoration, per se.

That is why, this four door may VERY WELL end up topless, chopped, and shortened slightly, to a coupe. Let's see how things turn out. For now...I'm just gathering ideas (like I did with the Phantom rebuild) and generally feeling pleased at the purchase.

Cheers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

um...if I promise to install an off-roader's engine in the Impala's rebuild, can I keep its thread here, in the 4x4 / SUV segment, rather than moving it to another section where people talk about Suzukis and Kias and Hyundais?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congrats on the Impala purchase... even though i am not against a resto-mod... but would recommend that you NOT turn it into an off-road machine...

I guess it would look better if it was turned into a low riding hot rod with some serious muscle and grunt...

Just my 2 cents...
    My heart is a Flat 4!! 62' VW Type-1, 76' VW Sunroof SuperBeetle... To me my VolksWagen, to you yours...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 73 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

User Tag List