0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    @machine: I've seen that picture on a couple of sites. Amazing work that he's done...right?

Albatta, my own "pasand" would probably be a combination of the pictures you can see below. I'd like to retain some sort of originality of the dashboard / gauge cluster as seen in the first pic...but have the support, safety, and "shtyle" of the racing seats, like in the second pic. Of course, a sturdy roll-cage would be not only a safety necessity, but would add to the aesthetic qualities, too. Like any good off-roader which is meant to travel any amount of distance in this high-tech world, this should also have an in-dash GPS. The sound system should be terrific (capable of drowning out road / wind noise with the top down).

PTCL is offering a Tablet PC which comes with free unlimited broadband. The "EVO Tab"costs a little over Rs. 32,000 (which includes 12 months internet @ Rs 2000/- per month, total Rs. 24,000). The EVO is based on the Android OS, and has hundreds of thousands of free apps in the Android Market. It also comes with a front and rear facing camera setup, decent sound, beautiful 7 inch screen, and lightning-fast browsing / streaming. Because of its slender proportions, I am seriously thinking of modifying the dashboard so as to accommodate this touchscreen machine, which will become my entertainment system, navigation device, inclinometer, accelerometer, and virtual gauge cluster (I have heard of some apps that allow your device to be connected to the engine management system, and actually replace your temperature / oil pressure / battery gauges).

An important word of advice for all PWers who are about to rush out and buy a new EVO Tab: please give a lot of serious thought to this purchase before attempting it. The device has absolutely miserable battery life. iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch users wll find its responsiveness somewhat sub-par. The sound quality of the device isn't really comparable to some of the other great devices out there. The only reason I'm installing this (or am likely to install this): bewakoofon ki tarah, I rushed out and bought it, without waiting to hear the reviews! Ab, iss ko kahin na kahin lagana to hai, na!

Of course, along with the Tab, a good power amp would also be required. I think the ideal speaker combination would be 4:1. 2 door mounted heavy speakers, 2 dash-mounted tweeters, and a tub-mounted subwoofer / bass tube. Alternatively, you could have 2 additional speakers mounted in the bikini top hard fiberglass.

Hmmmm. Interesting brainstorming. Thank you, machine!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321357 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321358
    tab pc could be a good idea bro

however for music system watch this out
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321364
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bloody hell. That is the most bad-a$$ looking sound system imaginable! I can only wonder what it sounds like!

And as for the gun-metal grey articulated cruiser from a couple of posts earlier: a definite thumbs-up!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good morning, Aamir Bhai!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Another Awesomely Disturbed FJ40

Was scouring the 'Net for some FJ related stuff. Was pleasantly surprised to come across THIS.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321376 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321377 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321378

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good morning, Aamir Bhai!
    Good Morning Fouad
    It was very nice talking to U
    Keep in touch
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Was scouring the 'Net for some FJ related stuff. Was pleasantly surprised to come across THIS.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321376 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321377 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321378
    Nice catch
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In these pictures, I'm rather fond of the "armour plating" at the rear panels of the FJ40.

The tyres are kind of sexy, too.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Another Armour Plated FJ

Another shot of a beautifully armoured FJ40.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321380 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321381

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And...here's a little something for all those FJ fans...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321383

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great Rig brother & nice choice, considering that LCs are very easy vehicles to restore and modify in comparison to a Mog or Iveco. It seem to be a sane choice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    You will have an unlimited number of choices regarding the engines axels transmissions and accessories. Obviously you can stick to the stock setup and with the little bit of tweaking and up gradation it will work as good as new.<o:p></o:p>
    Toyotas are built like tanks and this is a Land cruiser 40, which is the toughest of all the toyotas.<o:p></o:p>
    So take care and good luck with the project.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    We all will follow your thread keenly.<o:p></o:p>
    P.S. THIS THREAD IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICS. So keep us posted.<o:p></o:p>
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Great Rig brother & nice choice, considering that LCs are very easy vehicles to restore and modify in comparison to a Mog or Iveco. It seem to be a sane choice.

Thank you for the kind words. Once the rebuild starts, I will be sure to post as many videos and pictures as time will permit. Meanwhile, it's wonderful to sit back and consider all of these many options (sane as well as insane) that you mentioned.
    <!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>

You will have an unlimited number of choices regarding the engines axels transmissions and accessories. Obviously you can stick to the stock setup and with the little bit of tweaking and up gradation it will work as good as new.<o:p></o:p>
    Toyotas are built like tanks and this is a Land cruiser 40, which is the toughest of all the toyotas.<o:p></o:p>
    So take care and good luck with the project.<o:p></o:p>
    We all will follow your thread keenly.<o:p></o:p>
    P.S. THIS THREAD IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICS. So keep us posted.<o:p></o:p>
    Thank you for the kind words. When the actual rebuild starts, I'll be sure to include as many pictures and videos as is possible. For now, though, I'm pretty content to just consider some of the innumerable (as you mentioned) options that I have. Sane as well as insane options! I hope this will give some sort of clarity for the time when I actually start working on the project.-->

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    34 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some food for thought...(not to mention "eye-candy")

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not...but the FJ40 is the only vehicle which has the ability to look like a different machine altogether, with even the slightest bit of modification. As these pictures should amply prove...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321305
    Good Luck with the project Sir , my prayers with you

To me its amazingly looking , decent , hot ,cool , aggressive & beautiful in above combination (Brown 'n' Silver )

GOD bless you
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/members-member-rides/266031-accord7362s-merc-thanks-god-loved-ones-who-remember-me-prayers ,199119-thanks-god-2011-ford-edge-limited-awd-3-5-v6

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@accord7362: Thank you for such lovely words of encouragement!

I agree with your opinion...brown and silver is a very decent, yet very striking combination.

Lekin, main abhi tak Truck Art walley exterior ke chakkar mein uljhaa hua hoon. Perhaps not surprisingly, no one seems to agree with me! LOL

I was thinking that if the exterior and interior of the FJ was painted a dull, matte black...the front mudguards as well the rear wheel-arches could be adorned with vivid truck art motifs. The "daala" could also take such a truck-art makeover. The "armouring" of the rear panels could also be done in this completely original customised paint-job. The wheels...the headlight bezel...the spare tyre, mounted at the rear...perhaps the windscreen frame...

...kuchh ajeeb hi punga nazar aayega!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@accord7362: Thank you for such lovely words of encouragement!

I agree with your opinion...brown and silver is a very decent, yet very striking combination.

Lekin, main abhi tak Truck Art walley exterior ke chakkar mein uljhaa hua hoon. Perhaps not surprisingly, no one seems to agree with me! LOL

I was thinking that if the exterior and interior of the FJ was painted a dull, matte black...the front mudguards as well the rear wheel-arches could be adorned with vivid truck art motifs. The "daala" could also take such a truck-art makeover. The "armouring" of the rear panels could also be done in this completely original customised paint-job. The wheels...the headlight bezel...the spare tyre, mounted at the rear...perhaps the windscreen frame...

...kuchh ajeeb hi punga nazar aayega!
    Truck art is no bad idea boss - but despite doing it everywhere, you should select few of the exterior parts - might be doors including rear door too and perhaps hood can be done with it too

i have this facility with my fabricator so lemme know if you want a practical demo
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default I Thought I'd Managed To Evade The Toyo-Mog Punga...

I remember that I'd brought up the idea of possibly mating an FJ body to a Unimog underbelly, on some thread a while ago. I also recall that the very thought had vanished from my mind.

Or so I thought.

Until coming by THESE pictures...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321452 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321453 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321454

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The more I see pictures of FJ45s...the more I fall in love with the shape.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Truck art is no bad idea boss - but despite doing it everywhere, you should select few of the exterior parts - might be doors including rear door too and perhaps hood can be done with it too

i have this facility with my fabricator so lemme know if you want a practical demo
    I would LOVE that.

The truck art would look even sexier if the FJ40 truck were to suddenly become an FJ45 pickup...LOL

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Old Vs The New

Stumbled across this picture too, whilst trawling the worldwide web for ideas...

I don't think there's any doubt whether the FJ40 from 50 years ago is sexier, or the FJ Cruiser is. Right?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321466

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321472 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321473 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321474 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321475 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321476

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321478