0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    In this photo, it indeed looks like the poor Willys is about to get stomped on!

If I was there I would have definitely driven the monster LC over that dinky jeep.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    If I was there I would have definitely driven the monster LC over that dinky jeep.
    Not a bad idea there, Saad.

Udhar hee Phantom uss pe charha do...udhar hee dobara se denting shuru kar do!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sir yeh phantom is the most musculified FJ in Pakistan.... setting new standards and openning for others to follow... indeed this project is full of Pungas...

keep it up sir and keep sharing ... and expect another surprise visit from Team Unimog soon
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello,
    What's best colour for fj 4O with hood I like to have it spray white but my denter wants it to be gun matalic Gary .
    So what you think which colour should I go for

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kambrit View Post
    Hello,
    What's best colour for fj 4O with hood I like to have it spray white but my denter wants it to be gun matalic Gary .
    So what you think which colour should I go for
    With no disrespect intended At ALL towards those who have gun-metal grey FJ40s...a vehicle as lively, as aggressive, and as active as the FJ deserves a brighter outlook in my opinion. It's SUCH a masculine vehicle, that it can get away with being painted pink!

At best, brother...I can only offer you some advice, based on what I'M planning to do. Some of the options I have in mind for my FJ are:-

Orange and Black.
    Toxic Yellow and Black.
    Black and Truck Art.
    British Racing Green with Chrome Accents.
    Royal Purple with Chrome Accents.
    Red/Blue Kameleon colour-shifter.

Amongst white and gun-metal...I'd personally go for white...and deliberately black powder coat some of the adornments; like the vent opening, the hood latches, the ainak, the grille, the headlight bezels, the jungley, the side-step, the mirrors, the door handles, and the wheel nuts! Perhaps colour the whole bonnet matte black...just to make it look a little more striking. Of course, keep a simple, plain black hood / top to go with the white.

Ultimately, though...go with what YOUR heart tells you would feel right.

Best of luck.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    sir yeh phantom is the most musculified FJ in Pakistan.... setting new standards and openning for others to follow... indeed this project is full of Pungas...

keep it up sir and keep sharing ... and expect another surprise visit from Team Unimog soon
    I would absolutely love such a visit! In fact, we should make it a double visit, so that I take Team Unimog to see the other punga (the '67 Impala) too, and we follow this up, with some lunch / dinner, afterwards. And if absolutely nothing else, tau kum se kum aapas mein mulaqaat tau zaroor hee honee chahiye.

Another thing which I've come to realise is that the Phantom will never truly be "built". Rather, it will continue to evolve. Having gotten the basics right, I'm sure there will come a time when I'll want to have 2.5 Rockwells installed. Or think "yaar, iddey wich 1HD engine bara mazaa karega". Or decide to strip it down to nothing but a roll-cage encased buggy, with a laterally-split, high-articulation chassis! I think that is the beauty of off-roaders...they have SO many potentials.

Of course, these pungas will have to wait. For now, I'm just too eager to get the rig up and running...oh, AND I have a Toyota Rush and a Daihatsu Bego to eat, at priority!

Thanks for the good wishes, Adeel Bhai.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Upright Exhaust Punga

Eik aur punga jo mere zahen mein gardish kar raha hai...is to have an upright, free flow exhaust. Something, that works its way between the cabin and the daala, and sticks vertically upwards with a taper towards the rear. In principle, it would be somewhat similar to the twin-exhausts on the Peterbilt giant shown in the photo, below (although I'd want a single exhaust, rather than two).

Any views on how this would adversely / favourably affect the back-pressure of the exhaust, and it's impact upon engine performance? If possible, I request people to provide their input on the technical / aesthetic aspects, before I take such a plunge.

My personal reasons for wanting to add this punga are:-

The sound would be @#$%ing awe-inspiring.
    It'd look uber-hot (along with the snorkel I intend fabricating / installing).
    By installing it in tandem with a snorkel (and ensuring your engine is properly sealed) you could be virtually assured that your vehicle wouldn't "drown", whilst crossing a water obstacle. EVER. At least, theoretically, that is. Albatta Sindh, Ravi, Chenab, ya Jhelum daryaaon ke saath masti nahin!

Cheers!The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -373558

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More Upright Exhausts

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -373567 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -373568 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -373569

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Side Mouldings / Garnish / Trim

This beautiful FJ belongs to one of our friends from the Frontier 4x4 Club (and was seen in action on their Mud Rally 2012. Link: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...-19-feb-2012-a).

After seeing this beast, with it's wide-wide wheels, I'm reminded that for such a broad stance (the Phantom is possibly slightly wider than this beauty in the photo), some arrangements in the form of trim / garnish, are going to be necessary to prevent much overspray from the mud.

Note to myself: It's highly unlikely that something "off-the-shelf" will be available for the Phantom rebuild. Customisation is the way to go!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -373577

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Eik aur punga jo mere zahen mein gardish kar raha hai...is to have an upright, free flow exhaust. Something, that works its way between the cabin and the daala, and sticks vertically upwards with a taper towards the rear. In principle, it would be somewhat similar to the twin-exhausts on the Peterbilt giant shown in the photo, below (although I'd want a single exhaust, rather than two).

Any views on how this would adversely / favourably affect the back-pressure of the exhaust, and it's impact upon engine performance? If possible, I request people to provide their input on the technical / aesthetic aspects, before I take such a plunge.

My personal reasons for wanting to add this punga are:-

The sound would be @#$%ing awe-inspiring.
    It'd look uber-hot (along with the snorkel I intend fabricating / installing).
    By installing it in tandem with a snorkel (and ensuring your engine is properly sealed) you could be virtually assured that your vehicle wouldn't "drown", whilst crossing a water obstacle. EVER. At least, theoretically, that is. Albatta Sindh, Ravi, Chenab, ya Jhelum daryaaon ke saath masti nahin!

Cheers!
    Aoa Sir.
    In my humble understanding, a free flow exhaust like the one you have described will, as compared to any stock exhaust system.
    1. Increase engine power output
    2. Increase consumption
    3. Provide a better throttle response

Backpressure??
    Well just google "Exhaust backpressure " and read on. Its a myth apart from certain specific engine types in my opinion (thats why Drag racers have the exhaust setup that they do -- Near to none ). So the more exhaust gases your engine can vent out and the quicker it does so, the more performance you get out.
    Just my humble 2 cents.
    Thank you
    Ehsan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Pakwheels just ate up the epic I wrote about how excited I am about this build. This is the stuff we 4x4 gearheads used to fantasize about in the pages of offroad magazines as kids and still do LOL! The fact that it's happening on our very own soil is reason enough for celebration! I knew that these guys at City Saddar Rd were old school 4x4 gurus but this project is taking the skill to a whole new level.

Reading through all 21 pages, I was tempted many times to hit the reply button, but every time I discovered that somebody had already beaten me to the punch LOL. I'm glad to see this wealth of knowledge in here!

I do have a few suggestions for you though:

1. Power steering: When converting to a front mounted box, you will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a quicker ratio box. Toyota boxes are typically slow ratio, e.g. the stock aft mounted 40 series p/s box is 5 turns lock-to-lock, making it feel like you're driving a bus.

2. Brakes: Go for a double diaphragm booster and a vacuum canister. You will need serious vacuum assist slowing down the rotating mass of those monster meats. Stock Toyota rear drums are adequate for stockish tire sizes, so you might want to upgrade to rear discs at some point.

3. Exhaust: A smokestack would look KILLER, but it will be loud because the exhaust outlet is much closer to your ears. You could turn the noise down some by pointing the exhaust tip backwards. That will also keep rain, birds, kids etc, out of the plumbing. Personally, I would go with 3" piping with a straight through type muffler mounted underneath.

4. Anti-sway bars: Since this is a tall rig on a long wheelbase, you'll definitely need to body roll in check with front and rear sway bars. I think you should be able to adapt bars from an 80 series cruiser, similar to what Suhaib has done with his 1UZ FJ40. For the best of both worlds, you could use quick disconnect links. That would give you on-road stability, plus off-road articulation with quick pull of a few pins.

That's all I can think of right now, but I hope to be of further help as the build progresses. This is truly inspirational stuff for me and I hope to learn a few new tricks in the process! All the best!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ehsankiani View Post
    Aoa Sir.
    In my humble understanding, a free flow exhaust like the one you have described will, as compared to any stock exhaust system.
    1. Increase engine power output
    2. Increase consumption
    3. Provide a better throttle response

Backpressure??
    Well just google "Exhaust backpressure " and read on. Its a myth apart from certain specific engine types in my opinion (thats why Drag racers have the exhaust setup that they do -- Near to none ). So the more exhaust gases your engine can vent out and the quicker it does so, the more performance you get out.
    Just my humble 2 cents.
    Thank you
    Ehsan

Ehsan, I KNEW I liked you, for a reason!

As with MOST things on this beast (and which I've tried to capture in the essence of this rebuild), "form" MUST go hand-in-glove with "function". At the outset, I'd promised there'd be no "peacock tails" to this rig.

I was somewhat worried that a free-flow, upright exhaust might be ONE such thing. I'm reassured by your views that it shouldn't be!

In my research on this aspect, I've come to similar conclusions regarding engine efficiency, output, consumption etcetera .Perhaps I was sub-consciously searching for a "fig-leaf" of validation. Thanks for providing it!

Who knew that this would be SUCH a @#$%ing exercise in self-analysis! LOL

The free-flow exhaust is VERY much on the cards, this point onwards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    Pakwheels just ate up the epic I wrote about how excited I am about this build. This is the stuff we 4x4 gearheads used to fantasize about in the pages of offroad magazines as kids and still do LOL! The fact that it's happening on our very own soil is reason enough for celebration! I knew that these guys at City Saddar Rd were old school 4x4 gurus but this project is taking the skill to a whole new level.
    That's a wonderful compliment! Thank you! I can empathise with how you (and some others) may feel about this rebuild and the thread, itself. I wake up every day, with a grin on my face as I realise: yeah! This IS happening to me! It wasn't just a wet dream, after all!

Reading through all 21 pages, I was tempted many times to hit the reply button, but every time I discovered that somebody had already beaten me to the punch LOL. I'm glad to see this wealth of knowledge in here!
    THIS has been one of the MOST satisfying parts of this thread. When you consider the fact that I know next to NOTHING about rebuilds and technicalities, and bring nothing TO the rebuild process other than a true love for the sport (and the beasts we drive), the input of ALL the visitors to this page, has been invaluable. Absolutely top flight.

I do have a few suggestions for you though:

1. Power steering: When converting to a front mounted box, you will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a quicker ratio box. Toyota boxes are typically slow ratio, e.g. the stock aft mounted 40 series p/s box is 5 turns lock-to-lock, making it feel like you're driving a bus.
    Absolutely right. It's already on the cards. Without it being skittish, I'd certainly like a steering experience that is more nimble, than the original. On a completely divergent note, I'm not going to steer around things...I'm just going to CLIMB right over them! (And hear them go "crunch"!)

2. Brakes: Go for a double diaphragm booster and a vacuum canister. You will need serious vacuum assist slowing down the rotating mass of those monster meats. Stock Toyota rear drums are adequate for stockish tire sizes, so you might want to upgrade to rear discs at some point.
    Another thing which we've catered for, in the eventual mechanicals. Along with a servo booster for the clutch, too.

As for the rear discs, I'm sure that I'll be tempted to take the plunge at a later stage. This "rebuild" is never going to really end. More likely, when the Phantom is unveiled and takes its first outing, from that point onwards, the rebuild will morph into a state of never-ending "evolution". Which, of course, is just a fancy sounding word for tinkering about with it some more, even after it's "finished".

3. Exhaust: A smokestack would look KILLER, but it will be loud because the exhaust outlet is much closer to your ears. You could turn the noise down some by pointing the exhaust tip backwards. That will also keep rain, birds, kids etc, out of the plumbing. Personally, I would go with 3" piping with a straight through type muffler mounted underneath.
    I've been seriously thinking on this, you know. I'm not exactly your average "boy-racer" type...since I'm pretty much over the hill, so to speak. Like I said earlier, the upright exhaust IS a "peacock tail"...which serves form somewhat more than function. And the noise. Uh huh. I had recurring nightmares last night, involving a roaring, snarling, growling Phantom...making its entry into my quiet, placid, suburban neighbourhood. Let's wait and see. I still want the upright chimney stack...we'll have to look at making it somewhat quieter.

4. Anti-sway bars: Since this is a tall rig on a long wheelbase, you'll definitely need to body roll in check with front and rear sway bars. I think you should be able to adapt bars from an 80 series cruiser, similar to what Suhaib has done with his 1UZ FJ40. For the best of both worlds, you could use quick disconnect links. That would give you on-road stability, plus off-road articulation with quick pull of a few pins.
    Great suggestion. In real life, though...this is a tall rig on a long wheelbase, which is VERY wide, too. So overall, the proportions of the beast haven't REALLY changed much. Just the size has, if you know what I mean. I don't know about body roll. I suppose it's inevitable, theoretically speaking. However, I'm inclined to wait until we get to the T&A phase, and see if it REALLY requires redress, or not.

That's all I can think of right now, but I hope to be of further help as the build progresses. This is truly inspirational stuff for me and I hope to learn a few new tricks in the process! All the best!
    I'll be eagerly looking forward to your guidance and support. For me, personally, this has been a sweet experience. The rebuild AND this thread. From not JUST the fact that it's fulfilling a lifetime obsession of mine...but from the terrific friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers I've picked up, enroute.

Cheers!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow. That was ONE long-a$$ed post from me!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Upright exhaust

Though I'm looking forward to your yet another well-worked out design on this subject. Adding a few words to the wonderful discussion, I would say:

A pipe 1/2" larger in dia than the original should reduce the drag further down the exhaust line i.e. being almost twice as long as the original one. That pipe can be housed in another pipe of about 5-6" starting somewhere above the rock sliders and finishing about 6-8" before the tapered tip of actual exhaust pipe (just like MACKs etc.) Like the originals, it will also save hands & shoulders from blisters.

The point is, what if the muffler (dholki) is totally eliminated from the design (unless a totally custom made is developed to accommodate the oversized pipe) to allow the gasses to shoot out freely! In such a case, 5mm holes can be drilled in the exhaust pipe throughout where its covered with 5-6" pipe that is sealed from top & bottom. This will work almost the same as a gun suppressor. So, a ghurrrrr sound at idle & steady speeds & a nice AK47 burst when pressed.

Though it takes 10 seconds when said but took me a while typing it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hats Off to you Sir G.I visit your thread twice a day to see if there are any updates.This is one of the best Built FJ40 among Pakistan.really impressed by the work.Keep it up.Hoping to see updates soon.
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -374114
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/vehicles-bikes/201679-fs-dihatsu-coure

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tareen View Post
    Though I'm looking forward to your yet another well-worked out design on this subject. Adding a few words to the wonderful discussion, I would say:

A pipe 1/2" larger in dia than the original should reduce the drag further down the exhaust line i.e. being almost twice as long as the original one. That pipe can be housed in another pipe of about 5-6" starting somewhere above the rock sliders and finishing about 6-8" before the tapered tip of actual exhaust pipe (just like MACKs etc.) Like the originals, it will also save hands & shoulders from blisters.

The point is, what if the muffler (dholki) is totally eliminated from the design (unless a totally custom made is developed to accommodate the oversized pipe) to allow the gasses to shoot out freely! In such a case, 5mm holes can be drilled in the exhaust pipe throughout where its covered with 5-6" pipe that is sealed from top & bottom. This will work almost the same as a gun suppressor. So, a ghurrrrr sound at idle & steady speeds & a nice AK47 burst when pressed.

Though it takes 10 seconds when said but took me a while typing it
    I would actually WANT to eliminate the dholki altogether, and instead, rely on a thick-bore pipe (hypothetically, in the 4.5 to 5 inch range) to serve as the exhaust. The end of this chimney, would be snake headed (or qalam-shaped to be more precise) and facing rearwards. Aerodynamically, the bend at the head of the chimney (whilst the vehicle is travelling at speed) SHOULD create a bit of negative pressure. This SHOULD (theoretically, of course) assist in sucking out the exhaust gases, too...thereby reducing the backpressure even more. Theoretically speaking,that is. How it'll actually behave is anyone's guess.

For reasons of safety (to prevent accidental burns, etc) an outer, perforated "sleeve" sounds just about right. I've also been asking around for some heat resistant wrap (I've seen some used on motorcycle exhausts) to completely reduce the chances of being accidentally singed. Alternatively, fibreglass has many applications in the heat-resistant department, which can also be looked into. This would also conform with a colour-and-matte-black theme for the Phantom...something which has been used to devastating effect on my FZJ79. I think I'll sit down, and attempt to sketch such a design. If I'm successful...I'll post the sketch on here. On second thoughts, I'm NOT likely to be successful, since I'm completely useless with a pencil and paper!

I think such an exhaust with go with the brute nature of the design vehicle. Something loud, and visceral, and in-your-face. That it would actually ENHANCE efficiency, is the icing on the cake. Or perhaps "vice versa" should be the right perspective!

As always, thanks for the precious input, friend!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ch_Hammas View Post
    Hats Off to you Sir G.I visit your thread twice a day to see if there are any updates.This is one of the best Built FJ40 among Pakistan.really impressed by the work.Keep it up.Hoping to see updates soon.
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 374114
    Warmest thanks for your very kind words, sir!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default An Example Of Desi Fiberglass Work

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 374139 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -374140

There's a very specific reason for posting this picture.

This is the locally fabricated wheel arch trim for my FZJ79 Pickup. It's been crafted in one piece, from one end to the other, and serves as a very exotic mudflap as well. You'll notice that (for the most part) it seems like an OEM add-on, which is strange, since there ARE no add-ons anywhere (to my knowledge) for this kind of design.

If you also look closely, you'll see that the exhaust pipe of my loader is passing THROUGH the fiberglass moulding. When I originally designed this part, I was somewhat fearful that the heat of the exhaust pipe might melt the trim, or cause it to warp, irreparably. Happily, my fears were unfounded.

Now...WHY have I brought this up here?

Simple answer. How hot would a "black exhaust", seemingly made out of plastic look? A black fiberglass sleeve (duly perforated) could be wrapped around the entire length of the pipe (less the snake head and eventual exit hole, which could be chrome-plated). This would render it heat proof, and also give a nice look, in my opinion.

I'll have to check up from the fiberglass wallah Ustaad.

I bet he says "gull hee koi naien, Saabji". Our guys can make ANYTHING. And everything.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok. I just discovered that I am @#$%ing useless when it comes to sketching. The exhaust pipe I just drew in the first attempt, looks like kissi udhair umar aadmi ka latakta khanjar. LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

User Tag List