0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Lighting Arrangements

This is another aspect, which has been preying on my mind, recently.

With the overall height already increased to near-ceiling levels, I'm averse to the idea of adding a light rack to the top of the Phantom, and making it appear even taller. At the same time, I don't want to add much to the front of the beast, and spoil its "originality". Which means means that serious consideration will be required for the arrangements to be made for lights.

A 24 volt "jugaar" is already on the cards. This should amply take care of the winch, and will provide enough "juice" for additional lights, and other equipment. Hypothetically speaking...would a single pair of HiD / LED lights suffice in the existing ainak of the FJ?

Fihsak (a friend and well-wisher from Team Unimog) has been tremendously supportive in offering to source the required stuff for me, but I have aesthetic reservations about adding too many bull-bars / roof-bars / side-bars / nudge-bars...on the basic premise that sometimes "less is more".

Kashif bhai...entry tau maarein. Bohut ziada modifications kiye baghair, kiya mashwara dete hain, Boss?
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Go for original M-35, its beautiful. I am also planning to swap the exhaust on my Unimog with this american. I spotted dozens of them on last weekend in Tarnool, a yard on the left side of GT ROad just after the 1st police checkpost and CNG station after Motorway bridge.

Furthermore, the M-35 variant used by Pak Army's design was much more closer to the sketch you shared as compared the M-35 picture. You can buy one complete exhaust and one additional outer sleeve to fabircate your design!

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Success! Sort of.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 374180
    This is a photo of an M35 "Deuce" truck (which was in use in the US Army and our own Pak Army). This also has a beautiful exhaust design. As a young, newly commissioned officer, I used to love the exhaust note of this fearsome looking machine.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 374210

I was thinking...maybe the Phantom COULD have a double-stack arrangement. With the snorkel on one side, and the exhaust on the other. The locally fabricated snorkel would be on one side to the rear of the cabin, with its own snake-head pointing front. The exhaust (fabricated to almost identical design as the snorkel) could be on the other side.

Then again, maybe the snorkel could stay in its traditional position (at the bonnet) and the exhaust could remain on the same side, to the end of the cabin (like shown in my sketch). In any case, I think both of these options would look rather hot!

Kabaar se, yeh M35 ka exhaust asaani se bhi mil jaana chahiye.
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Picture Roll Over the Weekend

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375042 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375043 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375044

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375045 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375046

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And Some More

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375047 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375048

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default AND Some More STILL!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375049 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375050 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375051

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Went to City Saddar Road with Fouad
    Amazed to see Monster FJ

Insha Allah
    It will be a Monster Truck of its kind

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375066 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -375067
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Today, another very fine gentleman paid a visit with me to the rebuild site.

Guruji, himself! Aamir Bhai.

Aamir Bhai is one of those gentlemen who are nothing but a source of unflinching support, guidance, and wise counsel. A friendship...nay...brotherhood, worth cherishing!

Guruji...tasweerein kahan hain?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Kamaal hai, Guruji...jis waqt mein woh post likh raha tha...aap woh tasweerein post kar rahe they!

Waahey, Guruji!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    Went to City Saddar Road with Fouad
    Amazed to see Monster FJ

Insha Allah
    It will be a Monster Truck of its kind

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 375066 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 375067
    I stand 6 ft 3 inches tall, in my socks. Aamir Bhai is AT LEAST as tall as I am. The upper sill of the Phantom's door windows towers above us both!

In the second picture, Aamir Bhai, with Jamil Ustaad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
    Go for original M-35, its beautiful. I am also planning to swap the exhaust on my Unimog with this american. I spotted dozens of them on last weekend in Tarnool, a yard on the left side of GT ROad just after the 1st police checkpost and CNG station after Motorway bridge.

Furthermore, the M-35 variant used by Pak Army's design was much more closer to the sketch you shared as compared the M-35 picture. You can buy one complete exhaust and one additional outer sleeve to fabircate your design!
    Thanks for the suggestion, Basharat! The presence of so many M-35s in one area sounds like a mouthwatering sight. I'll definitely pay a visit to the site on the next weekend.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The spring over axle looks good. I hope the new mounts of springs on tubes have been adjusted keeping in view the mechanical side, ie front as per the steering angle and rear as per the line of the shaft (angle of diff pinion)?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    The spring over axle looks good. I hope the new mounts of springs on tubes have been adjusted keeping in view the mechanical side, ie front as per the steering angle and rear as per the line of the shaft (angle of diff pinion)?
    Pretty much so, Noman. Of course, any fine tuning that's left, will be corrected in the T&A phase.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just went through the whole thread and i must say i m Amazed and truly salute ur dedication towards the end goal u want to achieve ....

I had to lift up my Jaw a few times - Rub my Eyes a million times while reading and looking at the pics on this thread ... To Take a picture out of ones mind and then to put that to reality bit by bit is just truly amazing .. and that too being in Pakistan where one has to really go an extra mile to get things done his own way ....

I Must say after seeing your project and your dedication towards it I have found a renewed sense of dedication in my self too many things i saw in ur project were on my mind and i had not been able to implement them on my Jeep just because i was being lazy and most of the times i could not get my thoughts across to the mechanics and workmen .. and also they just want to do things there OWN way so i stopped everything and parked all my project rides ....

But surely now I would get them started again ....

Thanks To you .. who unknowingly are motivating many others to make there dream rides a realty ...

SALUTE !!!
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    Just went through the whole thread and i must say i m Amazed and truly salute ur dedication towards the end goal u want to achieve ....

I had to lift up my Jaw a few times - Rub my Eyes a million times while reading and looking at the pics on this thread ... To Take a picture out of ones mind and then to put that to reality bit by bit is just truly amazing .. and that too being in Pakistan where one has to really go an extra mile to get things done his own way ....

I Must say after seeing your project and your dedication towards it I have found a renewed sense of dedication in my self too many things i saw in ur project were on my mind and i had not been able to implement them on my Jeep just because i was being lazy and most of the times i could not get my thoughts across to the mechanics and workmen .. and also they just want to do things there OWN way so i stopped everything and parked all my project rides ....

Thanks To you .. who unknowingly are motivating many others to make there dream rides a realty ...

SALUTE !!!
    That is one of THE nicest compliments imaginable, and you deserve my complete gratitude for it.

I've been tremendously fortunate, to be completely honest. I am NOT a very knowledgeable person, when it comes to technical details. Nor am I a very resourceful person either, when it comes to logistics handling. What I DO have, is a very stubborn bent of mind, when it comes to my rides. Cars paint pictures for me. I can visualise them, looking like this, or the other. And when my mind is made up, I'll (try to) do everything humanly possible to make that perceived vision come alive. Sure it'll meet with hiccups. That's inevitable, when you're birthing or rebirthing something out of cold steel. But once you've decided what you want done, how you intend doing it, and the amount of money you're willing to spend in the process...the rest (by and large) hinges upon how much luck you have in finding your rebuild team. And that's where I've been so lucky.

When this project first started, a gentleman by the name of Imran Ustaad was the first person I met. I'd never known him...never met him...but HAD heard about him, from my driver who'd taken my FZJ for some minor repairs to the chap. I told him of my plans...to build a radically designed FJ40, which would impose tremendous challenges on anyone silly enough to attempt this sort of a rebuild, in terms of workmanship, ingenuity, and creativity. To my surprise, he listened to every word. With a gleam in his eye. From thence, we met Nikku Ustaad (the frame specialist), Aamir Ustaad (the parts dealer), Jamil Ustaad (the denter / fabricator) and Billa Ustaad (who is eventually going to paint the rig).

I have no doubt at all that this is THE Dream Team of jeep rebuilds. They're absolute geniuses, in their respective areas of specialty. And what's more, the Phantom is NOT just "my ride" that they're rebuilding...it's THEIR ride. And they're every bit as critical, exacting, and PROUD of it, as I am. I just happen to be tagging along with them...having the ride of a lifetime!

I also wanted this ride to showcase just HOW much talent exists in Pakistan. My ambition is for this Phantom to be comparable to ANY modified off-roader anywhere in the world. And I DO mean ANYWHERE. And not just in terms of flashy paint and shiny wheels...I want this ride to be able to chew down anything in the way of mud, snow, ice and rock that is thrown its way. And ALL of this, from a vehicle that has been crafted BY HAND, from virtually the frame upwards, by a bunch of talented individuals who ply their wares, for a mere pittance...when compared to the astronomical sums that similar artisans charge abroad.

The fact that this rebuild serves as a catalyst to other readers and friends and brothers alike, is just the icing on the cake. It just goes to show...dream big! And even if you falter along the way, you'll have gained immeasurably from the journey, if not the destination.

Respect.

Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From nowhere, this thread has suddenly picked up 456 posts, and close to 20,000 page views. That's a WHOLE lot of people watching, reading, and writing!

Sooo...let me make an offer here. The person writing the 750th post on this thread gets to drive this beast, as SOON as it enters the Test & Adjustment Phase of the rebuild (I was about to say the author of the 500th post, but that's just around the corner!)

Iss mein hamaare saath taawun kiya hai Gaye Soap banaane waalon ne...yeh offer mehdood muddat ke liye hai...tamaam dawaein bachon ke pohunch se door rakhein, tabeeyat ziada kharaab ho tau doctor se rujoo karein...aakhir Jazz apna hai!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Iss mein hamaare saath taawun kiya hai Gaye Soap banaane waalon ne...yeh offer mehdood muddat ke liye hai...tamaam dawaein bachon ke pohunch se door rakhein, tabeeyat ziada kharaab ho tau doctor se rujoo karein...aakhir Jazz apna hai!
    Jazz to apna hai... Na-Jazz kis ka hai... Lol!

you just gave me one more reason to keep myself glued to the thread... BTW that place in tarnol which was mentioned a few posts ago is worth visiting...
    Went there with a friend a few weeks back and it was loaded with parts... i guess they had just scored at an army auction...
    My heart is a Flat 4!! 62' VW Type-1, 76' VW Sunroof SuperBeetle... To me my VolksWagen, to you yours...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassanazeem View Post
    Jazz to apna hai... Na-Jazz kis ka hai... Lol!

you just gave me one more reason to keep myself glued to the thread... BTW that place in tarnol which was mentioned a few posts ago is worth visiting...
    Went there with a friend a few weeks back and it was loaded with parts... i guess they had just scored at an army auction...
    I MUST visit that place on the coming weekend! I also have a couple of things in mind for lights and brake lights and side-view mirrors, in ADDITION to the exhaust jugaar...and that place seems like the hot site to visit. Thanks for the confirmation, Hassan! And thanks for providing the information in the first place, Bash!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My "rebuild philosophy" in this regard has been fairly simple. What is absolutely essential is modified / changed / outboarded / removed (and pretty much EVERY bloody thing HAS been modified!). However, all those things where even a marginal doubt exists as to whether or not they will be efficient / efficacious, have been left untouched, until the Test & Adjustment phase of the rebuild.

... Offhand, I've also heard of some ride-adjustable shock absorbers from someone (I don't have any personal research on the subject)...which could prove useful in the offroad / onroad ride quality aspect. I've also put that off, until later.
    That's precisely my rebuild/refurbish philosophy: change one or as few variables at a time as possible. It helps one keep one's eyes on the goal posts. This is pretty much the most ambitious rebuild I have seen anyone attempt and I have no doubt you will leave no stone unturned in your quest for perfection. Of course, I feel privileged to be able to offer input on this unique project

About the shocks, Rancho makes the RS9000X, a 9-way adjustable shock absorber, an earlier version of which I have previously used. It's very versatile and it offers a very wide range of compression and rebound stiffness. The kicker is that an optional in-cab remote control kit is also available to allow on-the-fly adjustment without leaving the driver's seat! I've also seen long travel, rebuildable, remote reservoir shocks a la race trucks, on the new JK Wranglers in Dubai. I don't know what make they are (Penske??) but if they are adjustable, those might be right up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post

SALUTE !!!
    That's been my reaction precisely! I've been looking longingly at the engine on my porch and the CJ7 under the cover! They know they're next!

... the Phantom is NOT just "my ride" that they're rebuilding...it's THEIR ride. And they're every bit as critical, exacting, and PROUD of it, as I am.
    That's the hallmark of a master craftsman! The late Dawood Ustaad who rebuilt our Jeeps in Karachi was a man of similar calibre. He would be beaming with pride as he displayed and described his engineering achievements, especially to gearheads who understood the joy that unique engineering solutions bring to both craftsman and customer. Like Hannibal from The A-Team would say, "I love it when a plan comes together!" The masterpieces men like Jamil Ustaad and Dawood Ustaad create are rolling canvases of unbridled creativity limited only by the availability of materials.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    About the shocks, Rancho makes the RS9000X, a 9-way adjustable shock absorber, an earlier version of which I have previously used. It's very versatile and it offers a very wide range of compression and rebound stiffness. The kicker is that an optional in-cab remote control kit is also available to allow on-the-fly adjustment without leaving the driver's seat! I've also seen long travel, rebuildable, remote reservoir shocks a la race trucks, on the new JK Wranglers in Dubai. I don't know what make they are (Penske??) but if they are adjustable, those might be right up your alley.
    The RX9000XL sounds like just the thing! And the in-cabin remote sounds like the perfect solution to those groan-this-rig-is-too-@#$%ing-high-who-can-be-bothered-to-get-down-and-adjust-the-shocks moments! Offhand, though, I need to research a little more, before giving it a final nod...since I presume the Ranchos would be more suited to coil springs rather than leaf-stacks...yes? In tandem with a swaybar, though...a nice firm on-road ride would be wonderful for the Phantom...coupled with a pliant, responsive ride for those hair-raising off-road moments. Best of both worlds!

That's been my reaction precisely! I've been looking longingly at the engine on my porch and the CJ7 under the cover! They know they're next!
    ...from an Indian film of my teenage days..."tera kiya banega, Kaalia?"

That's the hallmark of a master craftsman! The late Dawood Ustaad who rebuilt our Jeeps in Karachi was a man of similar calibre. He would be beaming with pride as he displayed and described his engineering achievements, especially to gearheads who understood the joy that unique engineering solutions bring to both craftsman and customer. Like Hannibal from The A-Team would say, "I love it when a plan comes together!" The masterpieces men like Jamil Ustaad and Dawood Ustaad create are rolling canvases of unbridled creativity limited only by the availability of materials.
    Absolutely right. On my last visit to Jamil Ustaad's place, I was amazed at the amount of attention he'd paid to something as seemingly insignificant as the size of the rear passengers' foot-well. And one has to admire the man's integrity and ethics. When I asked him (read: INSISTED) if he'd be willing to dent my Impala for me, his reply was simple: "it's just not my area of expertise, Saab Ji. Aap ke paise bhi kharch honge, aur cheez bhi meri marzi ki nahin banegi". How sincere is that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

User Tag List