0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    Good Going sir jee ...

Very good decision for keeping the original dash with upgraded gauges etc ...
    It would serve u much better and you would be happy in the long run with it ... cuz if you had gone with the initial plan of installing a prado/crusier dash .. it would have SQUEEQED the Hell out ...
    Thanks for the good wishes, brother.

The decision was actually made by my son, Shayaan! He was accompanying me, yesterday...for the first time (his "O" level exams are pretty close by, so all he had seen of the Phantom was its original state, and pictures of the rebuild).

After a lengthy discussion, we jointly decided that adding 70 Series stuff to it, would detract from the overall illusion of the vehicle's "genuineness". So we're going to stick to the FJ dashboard...and install original gauges (but probably in high contrast white, with black lettering). The same goes for the doors. Originally, I'd wanted to install power windows / central locking / power mirrors et al...which we aren't going to do, any longer. Whilst sticking to the original layout, we're going to try and interweave spartan beauty...with unadorned functionality.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another lengthy discussion which we baap-beta had, was about the colour for this beast. Shayaan is of the view that we do another vehicle in khaki and black (similar to my FZJ79). Entailing that the body is painted khaki, and matte-finish black embellishments are added...like the snorkel, the jaali, the jangley, the bumper, the rim and hooks of the pickup tub, the upright silencer, the kick vent, the side skirts, the wheel-arch trim, the roll cage, etc. In addition, the door handles would be powder coated black...the emblems, logos, wheel nuts, hubs, frame, dashboard, gear levers, engine compartment...would get the "blackover" treatment.

I already have a khaki and black pickup. Which is precisely WHY Shayaan thinks that painting the Phantom khaki and black is so important.

His logic: "Abbu...think how hot the scene would be...with YOU driving the khaki and black FZJ, alongside ME driving the almost identical coloured khaki and black FJ"

Ulloo da patha na howey tey...

15 saal ka hai...aur abhi se
    he wants the badder, radder ride!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Sample Pics - Khaki & Black

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378132 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378133 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378134 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378135 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378136

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Obviously, this Toyota of mine is about as FAR removed from being a Rolls Royce clone, as is humanly possible. And every SINGLE detail of this truck SCREAMS "FJ40". So I really don't know how it would be possible to construe this as a Rolls Royce clone, from JUST the name.

WHY did I choose the nickname Phantom?

1. Because the dictionary states that a phantom is "a fictional or metaphysical species that may appear to be invisible, or like an illusion; a distortion of the senses". This truck isn't invisible, but it pretty much fits the rest.
    2. I chose the name, because it sounds hot.
    3. I chose the name, because I bloody well CAN. You're very right, Ali...it's my rig, and I can do pretty much whatever I want to with it. Let the people at Rolls Royce hunt me down for copyright infringement!
    dnt worrry v will handle rolls royce bdw good to see u following proper SD. ha ha
    CHOUDHRY ALI - GOLD & GREEN because Old is gold and hybrids are green

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More Khaki & Black Pics

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378137 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378138 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378139 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378140 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378141

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

why these r two ? comes from company,what is other for,water??????The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378146

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    It was my dream to make a bigfoot since my childhood. My father made a fj40 with 35 inch tyres in the early 90s and since then it was my dream. I have some childhood pics with them.

I love this thread and wish you very best of luck with it.
    Those are wonderful words, Saad. Thank you.

To be honest, crafting a bigfoot beast isn't all that difficult. You just need the right "visuals" in your head...the right "team"...access to all the parts / hardware / logistics...and patience.

To be equally honest, this is NOT something you can do on a shoestring budget. Projects like this WILL eat up a LOT of cash. They WILL take up a LOT of time. The time and money invested in such a project MUST be weighed carefully, against how MUCH you want it and/or can afford it.

These rebuilds invoke a great deal of nostalgia. I can empathise with how you fondly recall your dad's project. I too, remember when I was younger, my dad used to tell me about HIS rides -- he had a '52 BSA Bomber, a '57 Bel Air, a '60 Lambretta, a '65 Impala, and much later on a Range Rover (which I now have).

In the days of yore, men used to be recognised by the horses / stallions they used to ride. I personally think that these metal beasts which we own, are TODAY's steeds. And the time, effort, resources, and love that we lavish upon them is part of a tradition that will always be associated with men.

Boys and their toys! Regardless of age!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chali View Post
    why these r two ? comes from company,what is other for,water??????The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 378146
    This vehicle has dual fuel tanks. A main and auxiliary. And yes...they're company installed.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This vehicle has dual fuel tanks. A main and auxiliary. And yes...they're company installed.
    mean seperate gauges as well??does it shift automatically to auxillary one???

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

mean seperate gauges as well??does it shift automatically to auxillary one???
    Yes, it has separate gauges for both fuel tanks on the dashboard. But you have to shift between both fuel tanks manually, with an electronic switch.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, it has separate gauges for both fuel tanks on the dashboard. But you have to shift between both fuel tanks manually, with an electronic switch.
    and how many kms u can travel on auxillary tank?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and how many kms u can travel on auxillary tank?
    Each of the tanks takes 95 litres of unleaded petrol. So you have a total of 190 litres on board. On long routes, it give about 6 km/litre...so the vehicle has a total cruising range of just under 1200 kilometres.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

will phantom b sharing two fuel tanks or sticking stock

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

will phantom b sharing two fuel tanks or sticking stock
    I'm thinking of just one fuel tank, for now. Although, the fuel inlet position will have to be changed, because of the addition of two doors. We will see how things go...I MIGHT add an additional fuel tank underneath the pickup tub in the rear, with its own, dedicated fuel inlet. But it's too early to say, for now.

Let's see how things shape up. Certainly, any additional fuel will always be welcome, since this WILL be a thirsty beast!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Although, there IS a huge difference between the Phantom, and my FZJ79.

The latter, is a mile-eater...which is MEANT to cover enormous distances, effortlessly. The Phantom on the other hand will NEVER be a vehicle that will cover vast tracts of land. It'll be used to go off-roading, hunting, or camping...eat up some hard terrain, and then return home. I do not foresee it undertaking any 2000 kilometre journeys into desolate terrain, where there will be a huge requirement of additional fuel tanks. But like I said...one really can't tell, for now.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

stick to one tank under the tub,it will add weight to rear wheels which will help in more traction,and more over smell of diesel,if any,will sty back

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

stick to one tank under the tub,it will add weight to rear wheels which will help in more traction,and more over smell of diesel,if any,will sty back
    The existing (stock) fuel tank comes under the floorboards of the cabin. That's where it will have to stay. The inlet will be somewhere at the rear curved end of the cabin, with the pipe running through the cabin, thence under the floorboards, and onwards into the tank.

Since it'll be an airtight affair...I don't think we'll have much problems with smell, or anything.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default FJ40 / FJ45 Colour Shades

Was scouring ih8mud.com, and found this absolutely wonderful shadecard.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378157

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Dune Beige Colour

This is a beautiful shade of khaki...close to, but definitely different from, the khaki of my FZJ79.

I think this would look pretty damn hot, with black adornments.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378159The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -378160

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ulloo da patha na howey tey...

15 saal ka hai...aur abhi se
    he wants the badder, radder ride!

I came to Office .. read this part .. and Cracked the hell out .. my office Boy came in my room just now giving me wierd looks that why was i laughing so hard ...
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

User Tag List