0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Just to take a break from Toyota madness...my beloved '52 Willys...

RIP, darling...wherever you are!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379242
    I myself actually learned driving and basic off-road skills in an M38 just like this one. Bone stock except for the anemic Toyota 1C n/a diesel the previous owner had swapped in. It was a scary drive on the highway or on dirt roads with off camber bends but a joy on slow tracks that even bikes couldn't get through.

I hope to rebuild a Ford GPW (Willy's MB), the iconic WW2 jeep, some day.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379242 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379244 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379245The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379250 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379251The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379252 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379253The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379255The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379256The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379257
    This is sheer beauty and aggression in a small package. I don't think this can be done any better. Shows the attention to minutest details and taste of the owner. Hats off!

We expect the same class from Phantom All the best Sir.
    Keep your friends close but your enemies closer...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dogarz View Post
    This is sheer beauty and aggression in a small package. I don't think this can be done any better. Shows the attention to minutest details and taste of the owner. Hats off!

What a lovely compliment!

Thank you, brother...I'll be needing your best wishes!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dogarz View Post
    Actually, I think the Willys you've just seen was more difficult than the Phantom, in terms of details. It was quite a logistical nightmare to retrofit all the parts (it had hideous, terrifyingly ugly toyota parts plastered all over the interior and exterior). And then, chrome-plating over 300 different small and large pieces was also a royal pain in the a$$.

With the Phantom, there's going to be hardly any chrome at all, if ANY to begin with. All the minor parts and fixtures attached to the body are going to be powder coated black, instead...and I venture to say that there won't be VERY many of them, in comparison to the black Jeep, shown before.

Overall, the focus of the Phantom is going to remain "utilitarian" rather than "beautiful" per se. If it succeeds in being aggressive by design, and eye-catching by coincidence...I'll consider myself to be a lucky man.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379242 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379244 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379245The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379250 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379251The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379252 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379253The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379255The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379256The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379257
    My Question .. WHY and HOW did u part with this Beauty ... i mean WHY WHY WHY
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    My Question .. WHY and HOW did u part with this Beauty ... i mean WHY WHY WHY
    As a matter of fact, at the time of the sale I was headed abroad for a few years...and much as I had wanted to take it along with me, circumstances didn't really permit that.

The one that got away...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ fouadhafeez
    Sir gee honestly speaking I hvnt seen such a nice perhaps lovely ride (black one). I dont know how U guys restore reg's in such a fantastic way
    Aamir bhai (IJC) is like a daddy in 4/4's but U R also a big guru. Hats off to you guys!!
    "FRONTIER FOUR BY FOUR"
    Life begins, where road ends..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imransavul View Post
    @ fouadhafeez
    Sir gee honestly speaking I hvnt seen such a nice perhaps lovely ride (black one). I dont know how U guys restore reg's in such a fantastic way
    Aamir bhai (IJC) is like a daddy in 4/4's but U R also a big guru. Hats off to you guys!!
    Thank you, Imran...that's a wonderful compliment. Truthfully, though...I don't qualify as a "Guru" of this field AT ALL. Quite the opposite...I'm just a beginner!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just a quick update...and some good news!

I've managed to locate a fairly BIG stash of NOS (New Old Stock) FJ40 (and RKR) parts. From what I'm told, there're a host of engine parts, switches, gauges, meters, interior parts, and the like. I'll come to know the exact inventory by tomorrow or the day after...and will make sure that I apprise everyone via this thread.

I have a good feeling about all of this. Most of these parts are genuine "Jaapaani" items...and with the amount of auctioned FJs flooding the market nowadays, I think it'd be a good idea for me to snap up those some rare items and store them, for future use!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please excuse the poor picture quality. And the fact that there's just one decent photo. It was late...and I'm NOT the best photographer in the world!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 342604

Sir jee as u mention parts ... I remembered to ask you for how much did u get ur power plant for ? I m planning to upgrade my CJs motor to 1hz or 1hd-fte ... Make a mean machine out of it ...
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    Sir jee as u mention parts ... I remembered to ask you for how much did u get ur power plant for ? I m planning to upgrade my CJs motor to 1hz or 1hd-fte ... Make a mean machine out of it ...
    To be honest, I may have spent a little extra money for the engine and tranny...having got them for PKR 3,90,000/- (Rs 4 Lakh including transportation to Pindi). However, the condition (and newness) of the engine to my mind was so superb, that I took the additional "hit" willingly. The wisdom behind this, is, of course, open to debate

A good 1HZ engine with gearbox should put you back between 3 and 3.5 Lakhs, roughly speaking.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

On another note...I was quite surprised to discover that there are a quite a few 1HD-FTE engines lying in Rawalpindi! However...these aren't imported engines; rather they're those engines which have been removed by owners who've been unhappy with the Fuel Injection aspect of this powerplant...the horsepower and torque of which (of course) needs to be weighed against the robustness, power and reliability of the 1HZ.

If you're looking for a 1HD-FTE engine, Haji Noor Zaman's place near Pir Wadhai in Pindi, is one possible site where they're available.

Best of luck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

True the 1Hz is famous in its class for being " KHOTTA ENGINE" being very tough and very robust but 1HD-FTE punches more power and torque and reliability is also there ...

Some Figures (source Wikipedia)

1HZ :

The 1HZ Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 Diesel 6-cylinder 12-valve ohc (over head camshaft) is of the IDI or indirect injection design, and delivers maximum power of 96 kW (129 hp) @3800 rpm and maximum torque of 285Nm (210lbft) @2200 rpm.

1HD-FTE

The 1HD-FTE is a 4.2 L (4164 cc) straight-6 24 valve SOHC (single overhead camshaft) turbocharged diesel engine. Bore is 94 mm and stroke is 100 mm, with a compression ratio of 18.8:1. Output is 164 hp (122 kW) at 3400 rpm with 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) of torque at 1400 rpm. The fuel system is direct injection, and adopts the electronic fuel injection (EFI) system. Redline of this engine is at 4200 rpm.
    The 4 valves per cylinder are actuated by the SOHC, by using bridges so each rocker actuates a pair of valves.
    The version with intercooler as fitted to HDJ100 station wagons has 196 hp (144 kW) at 3400 rpm with 317.1 lb·ft (430 N·m) of torque at 1200-3200 rpm with a redline reaching 4000 rpm. A lower output 122 kW non-intercooled version powers HDJ78 Troop Carrier and HDJ79 Utility versions.
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree. The 1hdfte (black top) is a much better engine. Very powerful and realiable. I have tuned mine and it beats the Cygnus right from the dig. However if I were at your place I would have tried to put the 2uzfe.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please avoid 1hz if possible.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    I agree. The 1hdfte (black top) is a much better engine. Very powerful and realiable. I have tuned mine and it beats the Cygnus right from the dig. However if I were at your place I would have tried to put the 2uzfe.
    Saaduk, I think I know you from Facebook, we had that discussion about 1UZs and gear ratios! Until the price of diesel went through the roof, the 1HD-FTE had always been my dream engine. It reminds me of the insane potential of the inline 6 Cummins turbodiesels used in Dodge Ram HDs, both the older 12 valve and later 24 valve versions. I was always told though that it's a very heavy engine and it would make for an extremely front heavy jeep. Having gone the 1UZ route, I think maintaining proper balance and keeping overall weight low might make for a more fun vehicle.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In earlier pages of this thread, I'd gone through a bit of an exercise in soul-searching with regards to engine choice (where I had some terrific input from those Gurus Suhaib and Ehsan Kiani, and Il Dottore NN). The choices that present themselves to the enthusiast are mind-boggling...petrol or diesel?...high torque or high power?...fuel injected or carbed?...4 or 6 or 8 cylinders?...intercooled or supercharged?...turbocharger or normally aspirated?

These complexities make for a very difficult choice, indeed, because of the diversity of comparative merits and demerits of the powerplants that will invariably come under consideration.

At the time of purchase of my 1HZ engine...the Haji Saab from where I was purchasing the engine had three absolute stunners lined up in his shop. This 1HZ, a spanking new 2UZ-FE, and a "blacktop" 1FZ-FE.

In ascending order of cost, the choices were: 1FZ, 1HZ, 2UZ.

In ascending order of power, the choices were: 1HZ, 1FZ, 2UZ.

In ascending order of torque, the choices were: 1HZ, 1FZ, 2UZ.

As per year of manufacture, choices were: 1FZ (2003), 2UZ (2005), 1HZ (2010).

In terms of condition priority (best to worst), was: 1HZ, 2UZ, 1FZ.

And I STILL went ahead and bought the 1HZ.

Why? Simple answer.

Other than the absolutely incredible condition of the engine, for its intended application (the Phantom), my priority was a non-nonsense, incredibly reliable, no-frills engine, which should be a diesel (when it comes to offroaders, oil-burners are PROBABLY better than gas-burners), which should have MORE low-end torque (I'm going to climb OVER other vehicles, rather than drag-race them at stop-lights), which should preferably be a six cylinder inline affair, rather than a V8 (part of my somewhat-pedantic design philosophy to swap I6s with I6s, V8s with V8s).

And when I was first contemplating engine choices...diesels were NOT what I was inclined to! In fact...I was pretty much DISINCLINED towards diesel engines. What probably tipped the scales in favour of the 1HZ was a week that I spent using the engine (in a late Series 70 TLC), in somewhat extreme situations in Kallar Kahar / Choa Saidan Shah / Pind Dadan Khan. It simply won me over.

Engine choice is like asking someone what their favourite fruit is. Some will answer mangoes, some will say apples, and yet others will state that oranges are the best. I guess one's personal choice is what REALLY matters at the end of the day. That, and the intended application of the vehicle, AFTER the rebuild.

Make informed choices!

Cheers...Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    I was always told though that it's a very heavy engine and it would make for an extremely front heavy jeep. Having gone the 1UZ route, I think maintaining proper balance and keeping overall weight low might make for a more fun vehicle.
    A very pertinent point, indeed. From my own interaction with a host of kabaariyas, I'm told that the 1HD-FTE indeed IS a heavier engine...with an application more suited to the breed of larger, heavier, SUVs requiring extra grunt, just to shift a$$. Whilst engine choice is, I reiterate, a purely personal affair...I'm inclined to say that the extra weight at the front (coupled with a possible reduction in nimbleness when it comes to smaller, no-nonsense off-roaders), somewhat counters the gain in sheer grunt.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LOL

After all of that, I still MIGHT eventually end up using a 1HD-FTE engine in the Phantom, at the end of the day!

Talk about introspection being possibly BAD for the soul...and CERTAINLY bad for the pocket!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

..............................which should have MORE low-end torque (I'm going to climb OVER other vehicles, rather than drag-race them at stop-lights)....................................

@ Fouad, just to clarify here, All three (1FZ, 2UZ and 1HD-FTE) produce lots more torque even at idle (lowest being 1FZ with 315NM at mere 650rpm) compared to 1HZ peak torque (285NM) which is at 2200rpm! The attached graphs are very helpful

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -379725

The above all may become completely irrelevant if you consider going forced induction on your 1HZ!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

User Tag List